• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Sai-kun

Banned
MrBig said:
Switching between Battlefield and Reach is awesome. My bullets, they actually collide with the player model in Reach! Not to mention the collision model is actually accurate to the player model.

And melee actually works in Reach too. Knifing in BC2 will literally make me rage. Literally.

thee henery said:
The Prequel to Halo Reach 'the game where it all began'

Slower strafe speed
Lower jump height
Instant kill grenades
Prone for accuracy

The definitive Halo

RADICAL idea.

Ghost recon Halo, but you play as an elite spec ops team.

Sai-kun said:
And melee actually works in Reach too. Knifing in BC2 will literally make me rage. Literally.

Rage no more, they are bringing back BF:BC1 knife.

MrBig

Halo should absolutely not inherit the characteristics of Battlefield. Though I would certainly take 64 player support as a supplement to the standard 4v4 and a replacement of BTB.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
Halo should absolutely not inherit the characteristics of Battlefield. Though I would certainly take 64 player support as a supplement to the standard 4v4 and a replacement of BTB.

To borrow wrestling parlance: 64 player Halo would be a spotfest. You'd be alive for roughly 20 seconds at a time going GEE GOLLY THERE ARE SO MANY PLAYERS, manage to kill someone, and then your team would be run over by a scorpion.

I think the most Halo could go up to while still feeling like Halo would be around 24. Maybe 32 if there was the maps to support it. 64 would be a clusterfuck.

I remember when people tried to run 64-man C&C Renegade servers. It was neat for about the first minute but then the clusterfuckiness sets in and you want to go back to the normal 20 mans.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
To borrow wrestling parlance: 64 player Halo would be a spotfest. You'd be alive for roughly 20 seconds at a time going GEE GOLLY THERE ARE SO MANY PLAYERS, manage to kill someone, and then your team would be run over by a scorpion.

I think the most Halo could go up to while still feeling like Halo would be around 24. Maybe 32 if there was the maps to support it. 64 would be a clusterfuck.

I remember when people tried to run 64-man C&C Renegade servers. It was neat for about the first minute but then the clusterfuckiness sets in and you want to go back to the normal 20 mans.
Not if you take settings from the books, like the huge battle on Reach, Harvest and the insurrectionist asteroids. Have it per squad objective based so that it's basically a few 8v8 games that each have to play off each other to advance and win.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
Not if you take settings from the books, like the huge battle on Reach, Harvest and the insurrectionist asteroids. Have it per squad objective based so that it's basically a few 8v8 games that each have to play off each other to advance and win.

But then people would want to start with a weapon that can fire across 3 sandtraps off spawn because they would get angry that they can't shoot everything they can see on a map the size of Texas.

It could work if the maps were there in both size and gameplay to do it. But considering how much BTB maps are made when 4v4 is the main attraction of Halo would leave us with like, 2 maps for the mode.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I might be exagerrating, but iron sights is the worst thing to happen to FPSs ever. I'm so glad Halo hasn't conformed.

Oh, wait! Guys!!!!!!! I have an idea. What if Halo 4 had, like, killstreaks, but with armor abilities?!

Like, see, say if you got five kills without dying, you'd be given evade. Ten kills gives you armor lock.

Genius!

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
It could work if the maps were there in both size and gameplay to do it. But considering how much BTB maps are made when 4v4 is the main attraction of Halo would leave us with like, 2 maps for the mode.
Then again you can take Battlefield's approach and have parts of maps inside the larger maps. Each BTB map could house multiple specially crafted firefight areas that are used as arena-like small scale maps so that nothing has to be sacrificed while increasing the quality of the BTB playspaces.

Dax01 said:
Oh, wait! Guys!!!!!!! I have an idea. What if Halo 4 had, like, killstreaks, but with armor abilities?!

Like, see, say if you got five kills without dying, you'd be given evade. Ten kills gives you armor lock.

Genius!
So you want to support camping? I'm against it!

wwm0nkey

Guys I think we are skipping over one major flaw with Halo: Reach.

There is noting to fight for when winning a match. No rank, nothing. When I finish a match all I think is "meh cool space credits" the lack of a Halo 2/3 ranking system kind of ruins the feel a bit.

The Cr system is fine for armor but a 1-50 system needs to come back as well.

Ramirez

Am I the only one that thinks they could increase people's interest in Arena by making your division show across all playlists? It's so lame that you have to dig through someone's service record just to see their Arena rank.

It's not the same as 1-50, but it still shows something that you've achieved rank wise in the game...

GhaleonEB

omg.kittens said:
I might be exagerrating, but iron sights is the worst thing to happen to FPSs ever. I'm so glad Halo hasn't conformed.
I agree. I won't consider picking up a game that includes iron sights for a moment. It's a small bit of solace that future Halo titles will (hopefully) continue to avoid them so I have a go-to shooter that won't feature them.

wwm0nkey said:
Guys I think we are skipping over one major flaw with Halo: Reach.

There is noting to fight for when winning a match. No rank, nothing. When I finish a match all I think is "meh cool space credits" the lack of a Halo 2/3 ranking system kind of ruins the feel a bit.

The Cr system is fine for armor but a 1-50 system needs to come back as well.
That's not a "major" flaw. The majority of Halo players don't care about rank. That's why Team Slayer/Social Slayer, and Living Dead and other playlists like it, are always the most populated playlists.

If the gameplay is good enough, people will keep coming back, regardless of the presence of a ranking system.

A27_StarWolf said:
Make Halo more like battlefield! JK, that would be interesting though.

A Halo Game where you play as marines.

Invasion?

Sai-kun said:

If you are trying to knife in BC2 you're doing it wrong lol.

Dax01 said:
That's not a "major" flaw. The majority of Halo players don't care about rank. That's why Team Slayer/Social Slayer, and Living Dead and other playlists like it, are always the most populated playlists.

If the gameplay is good enough, people will keep coming back, regardless of the presence of a ranking system.
Agreed. I think looking back what a lot of people actually liked about the ranking system was a visual confirmation that they are getting "good skill matches".

I for one don't miss the 1-50.

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:

Ok well not major but it is still a flaw. There are a decent chunk of people that play for rank.

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
Make Halo more like battlefield! JK, that would be interesting though.

A Halo Game where you play as marines.
You know, I would not mind a DICE/343i team up to make Battlefield: Halo. In fact I now want this to happen.

Ramirez said:
Am I the only one that thinks they could increase people's interest in Arena by making your division show across all playlists? It's so lame that you have to dig through someone's service record just to see their Arena rank.

It's not the same as 1-50, but it still shows something that you've achieved rank wise in the game...
I never really play arena but I love this idea. Playing a team full of moon symbols is not a very good indacator of their skill levels. If I were matched up against a team full of Onyx players, I'd shit my pants.
And then I'd curse trueskill like it's ne'er been cursed.
Also, it'd get more people into the arena because they'd see another shiny icon by your name and want to know how to get it themselves.

wwm0nkey said:
Ok well not major but it is still a flaw. There are a decent chunk of people that play for rank.
Right! And I'm not saying ranks shouldn't be there for the people who like it, but it's not something I see as one of the main reasons for a fan not playing Reach as much as she/he did Halo 3.

FyreWulff

Mikasangelos said:
Imagine if Reach had Kill Streaks.....think the populous onine would be much higher today?

No, Halo just has more competition around. It pretty much had OXbox Live to itself and wasn't really threatened by CoD until CoD4.

I remember playing other Xbox Live games before Halo 2 came out. They all became a ghost town after Halo 2.

MrBig

Dax01 said:

So Social Slayer was more popular than Team Slayer is what you're saying?
Having Arena be it's own separate and condensed thing doesn't attract anyone to go try their hardest, or even play it at all.

MrBig said:
So Social Slayer was more popular than Team Slayer is what you're saying?
Hm? "Social Slayer" is from Halo 3, which, if I remember correctly, was almost always the most populated playlist. Team Slayer is Reach's Social Slayer, and that sees more players than The Arena.

Even if my memory is off on the individual playlists, my larger point is that social playlists see more population than ranked playlists.

GhaleonEB said:
That's one mile away from the hotel Hitmonchan and I are staying in. :D
Can those of you who have booked hotels let me know what the best deal you found is... I would prefer to stay close to the exhibition centre, and if we are all close together that's a bonus too.

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:
Hm? "Social Slayer" is from Halo 3, which, if I remember correctly, was almost always the most populated playlist. Team Slayer is Reach's Social Slayer, and that sees more players than The Arena.

Even if my memory is off on the individual playlists, my larger point is that social playlists see more population than ranked playlists.

YfcfX.png

Graph was made during Halo 3's apex of population. Every playlist was pretty much just fighting over the scraps that Social Slayer and Team Slayer left behind.

Miggytronz

FyreWulff said:
No, Halo just has more competition around. It pretty much had OXbox Live to itself and wasn't really threatened by CoD until CoD4.

I remember playing other Xbox Live games before Halo 2 came out. They all became a ghost town after Halo 2.

I was reffering to Reach only.

MrBig

hoh

Well the population of SS was no where near TS when I was playing MM I played about 300 games of machmaking the first few months, got my 45 Brig and never stepped a foot outside of Customs after that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Don't see anything wrong with iron sights. It's not a good reason to hate it because Halo hasn't done it. If that's not the reason why you guys are hating on it then what is? I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ranks in retrospect should have been there. I was happy there were gone because it was so tiring hearing people bickering back and forth like douchebags about their rank on Halo 3. Totally stupid. Also have to think it may have cut down on the account related stuff like boosting, etc. Of course people boosted for Cr in Firefight, but I'm okay with it ruining Firefight. I would prefer that Halo 4 not have any ranks or symbols and stupid crap like that but it's important to some people so... Whatever.

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
hoh

Well the population of SS was no where near TS when I was playing MM I played about 300 games of machmaking the first few months, got my 45 Brig and never stepped a foot outside of Customs after that.

Here's some of my raw number collections in January 2009 (thanks Google Docs for archiving everything FOREVER:

1gJi4.png

Keep in mind that Halo 3 reported numbers differently than Reach did, but still: Social Slayer was definitely the main attraction of Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Can those of you who have booked hotels let me know what the best deal you found is... I would prefer to stay close to the exhibition centre, and if we are all close together that's a bonus too.
I used Trip Advisor, which grabs room quotes from many different travel sites for comparison. Then, I went straight to the hotel site (googling the name/location) and booked it there to get around using a travel site. There are a lot of inexpensive hotels near the Sea-Tac airport, where I suspect a lot of GAFers will be staying. It's close enough to get into town quickly but avoids the higher rates of a downtown hotel.

From the PAX page at Penny Arcade, I got the address for the conference center and searched within a radius around it. I kept mine to hotels *** and up within a 15 mile radius (which is just a 20 minute drive). Found a decent non-smoking room (with TWO BEDS) with a lot of amenities, including breakfast, for just over $100 per night about 11 miles from the conference center.
Ramirez said:
Iron sights in Halo would just slow it down even more than it already is. Zoom is effectively iron sights without having to come to a stand still to aim anyways.
It also has the benefit of not cluttering up the screen when scoped. One of the pillars of Halo's combat design is clarity - not mucking up what players can see and hear, keeping awareness of surroundings high. Reach went too far in both directions; we have a radar that displays depth, making players easier to locate, while grenades blow out the audio. It's not as focused.

Ramirez

Iron sights in Halo would just slow it down even more than it already is. Zoom is effectively iron sights without having to come to a stand still to aim anyways.

I played Modern Warfare and MW2 for a brief period. Killstreaks are fun to use, but I think they are one of the most ridiculously stupid things to put in a competitive shooter. You reward someone with a ton of kills by giving him a super power to rack up more kills? It encourages camping and is a perfect example of the "rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer."

If anything, the game should help out the losing team by giving them killstreaks, but that would just be exploited by suicidal players who don't care about winning but want to call in a helicopter.

I think the weapon drop territiories in Invasion Skirmish are a much better mechanic for gameplay. You give players an objective and instantly reward them with better weapons for securing it, regardless of how many kills or deaths they had.

I think Invasion Skirmish would be a fun gametype if some major changes were made:
- Remove loadouts.
- Remove Invasion spawns, switch it to normal Slayer spawning.
- Spartan vs. Spartan or Elite vs. Elite only.

Hell, give everyone Sprint and a DMR/AR at spawn. Remove power weapons from the map and put those in the weapon drop along with an AA or two.

Call it Skirmish Slayer, since I'm basically stripping out the Invasion qualities and keeping the territory/weapon drop stuff. I wouldn't label it as a Territories variant because the objective is to accumulate kills like Slayer.
GhaleonEB said:
(with TWO BEDS)
Heh, you and Hitmonchan are never going to live that down. Which is why I'm making him sleep on the floor Thursday night (because you're not driving up until Friday, right?). There will be two beds, but they're both already taken; I have a RL friend coming to PAX with me.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
No. You get to activate the Halo array.

This was totally my idea for MC's Final Smash when I made a fake Smash Bros. profile for him. (in the height of my SSBB hype-days.) Shit would've been epic.

GhaleonEB said:
I used Trip Advisor, which grabs room quotes from many different travel sites for comparison. Then, I went straight to the hotel site (googling the name/location) and booked it there to get around using a travel site. There are a lot of inexpensive hotels near the Sea-Tac airport, where I suspect a lot of GAFers will be staying. It's close enough to get into town quickly but avoids the higher rates of a downtown hotel.

From the PAX page at Penny Arcade, I got the address for the conference center and searched within a radius around it. I kept mine to hotels *** and up within a 15 mile radius (which is just a 20 minute drive). Found a decent non-smoking room (with TWO BEDS) with a lot of amenities, including breakfast, for just over $100 per night about 11 miles from the conference center.
Damn. If I had knewn that you're staying in the same radius than me, I would have booked the same hotel. Still my hotel is pretty neat. Breakfast, gym, whirlpool, free "high-speed"(lol I think it will be slow) internet, and bus shuttle service to the airpot for for $750. Btw. I'm going to stay there for 6 nights.

ncsuDuncan said:
Heh, you and Hitmonchan are never going to live that down. Which is why I'm making him sleep on the floor Thursday night (because you're not driving up until Friday, right?). There will be two beds, but they're both already taken; I have a RL friend coming to PAX with me.
I want to take a RL with me, but no one wants to fly or pay the trip. I'm going to be so lonely :( When will you arrive?

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, I'm coming up Friday morning since I have to work on Thursday. I plan to be there a few hours before the show starts, but can meet you guys whereever or whenever, it's just a two hour drive.

Let me know if he tries to get too cozy. :p

I promised my older daughter I'd take her to PAX next year. I think we're going to take a family vacation up, and I'll bring one daughter in for one day, and the other on the next day, that way they can share one pass. Spend the day at the convention center, the the night with the family, with a day or two on either end for some family time in Seattle. It's a fun town.

Hypertrooper said:
I want to take a RL with me, but no one wants to fly or pay the trip. I'm going to be so lonely :( When will you arrive?
Thursday around noon. Looking forward to whatever pre-PAX parties I find and of course the whatever Seattle has to offer.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I'm coming up Friday morning since I have to work on Thursday. I plan to be there a few hours before the show starts, but can meet you guys whereever or whenever, it's just a two hour drive.
Cool. Sounds like a plan.
Let me know if he tries to get too cozy. :p
He can get as cozy with the floor as he wants. The bed is off limits. Nobody disturbs my cryosleep. :p

Blast, here we go talking about PAX again while it's still two months away. Sorry, HaloGAF.
In unrelated news, HaloFest is only two months away!

Top Bottom