• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tawpgun

Trasher said:
Linksys E1000. I have no idea what DD-WRT or Tomato are lol. All I know is that the same router at my parent's house works fine, but the one at my apartment doesn't.

Eh, that's the cheapest model. I have the E2000 and the E3000 is the one optimized for gaming. Did you do all the port forwarding shit? I know I had problems with mine also.

thezerofire said:
I don't think the importance of ranking had anything to do with Arena. It just wasn't good, and now people don't care. And that "lose your rank after a month" thing didn't fly.

Yeah, the resetting your rank thing didn't turn out as well in practice as in concept. I know what they were thinking - make it like seasons of a sporting league. But people don't want to lose their hard work after a set amount of time.

That said, the draw of Arena was that it was where you got ranked. If ranking was really that important to people, you would have seen more people go there.

And they tried 'fixing' the playlist according to complaints from the vocal minority (no armor lock, no jetpack, no radar, different starting weapons, yada yada), but that only caused the population to decline further and faster.

The draw of a rank for 90% of players in any game is the feeling of persistent progress. The idea that each match is not a completely separate event from the last. Whether that's a number beside your name, a military rank badge, or money to spend on decorations, it doesn't matter. Just give people a bar to fill and they'll be happy.

Sai-kun

Banned
thee henery said:
That's my Halo guilty pleasure. What's yours?

I was going to link a series of images that would basically constitute a "WTF" reaction to someone liking Orbital, but it takes too much effort, so I'll just say: WTF?

camping the stairs with a shotgun was always hilarious on Orbital.

My Halo guilty pleasure is singing along to pop music while 5 shotting bad kids from across Hemorrhage.

Baby I was born this way~

Can't play now. Rewatching the 3 worst gmaes of Halo ever.

...Looking at my deaths its like

5 times: Have a 1v1 but then enemy spawns on their teammate and it becomes a shitty 2v1 loss
4 deaths from lag. at one point I fell off top of countdown even though there are ledges to prevent that...just lagged me right to the bottom of the map went up lift and it went black screen came back respawning...
5 from just bad bloom
2 from nades that I cant even believe counted they were so far away...

my one betrayel on kylej at countdown were at med pack i out dmr a guy he goes to run outside kylej spams him with concussion rifle apparently taking all his shields and some health away from himself gets the kill and then my one bullet i shot hits kyle for the betrayel...like fucking really?

such a shitty day.

Sai-kun said:
My Halo guilty pleasure is singing along to pop music while 5 shotting bad kids from across Hemorrhage.

Baby I was born this way~

Lol! Me and my friend always change the lyrics to songs when playing Halo

George Formby - 'When I'm Taking Faces' and Alexandra Burke - 'Bad Kids' come to mind.

kylej

Banned
Trasher said:
Linksys E1000. I have no idea what DD-WRT or Tomato are lol. All I know is that the same router at my parent's house works fine, but the one at my apartment doesn't.

DD-WRT/Tomato are alternate firmwares that replace the one supplied by the router manufacturer. I'd bet a dollar that flashing your router with either will fix your issues.

v1 hardware: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79673
v2 hardware: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=105008

If you have the v2 E1000 all you have to do is download and upload that file through the stock firmware upgrade process.*

*Make sure to read install instructions, learn what router version you have, etc before flashing.

xxjuicesxx said:
such a shitty day.

Was not feeling it at all today. Couldn't really focus during our Squad Slayer/Arena losses. Sometimes the Halo gods smile upon someone else.

Striker

The Antitype said:
And they tried 'fixing' the playlist according to complaints from the vocal minority (no armor lock, no jetpack, no radar, different starting weapons, yada yada), but that only caused the population to decline further and faster.
They have Sprint, Hologram, nd Jetpack as the AAs with a single grenade start. There is radar and there's always DMR starts. My main beef is Jetpacks on certain maps, and the evidence of power weapons. I had figured they would run with the Arena map weapon placements, but it's been the normal settings.

As for rank resets, I assume they went that route to get away from the constant new account and boosting abuse (which led to selling accounts), which heavily plagued the flawed Halo 3 system.

Striker said:
They have Sprint, Hologram, nd Jetpack as the AAs with a single grenade start. There is radar and there's always DMR starts. My main beef is Jetpacks on certain maps, and the evidence of power weapons. I had figured they would run with the Arena map weapon placements, but it's been the normal settings.

As for rank resets, I assume they went that route to get away from the constant new account and boosting abuse (which led to selling accounts), which heavily plagued the flawed Halo 3 system.

I stopped playing Arena after Season....4, I think.

At that time, the settings were 1 grenade, DMR/NR starts, no radar, no armor lock...I think no jetpack, but maybe not.

Maybe they tried adding radar back to get some people back into the playlist, I don't know.

Anyone else think it'd be cool if we had three or four settings each for AAs that we could change? Some examples:

Hologram
Duration (Same times as any setting; three seconds to three minutes)
Cooldown (See above)
Strength (Equivalent to the Health setting with players; default is 100%)
Tangiblity:
-Solid (A completely solid hologram just like an actual player. It can push people out of the way and could potentially offer guardian kills, for example dropping one off of the Spire and having it squish a player below)
-Mixed (Current Hologram settings)
-Ghost (Works like phased Forge objects; will literally go through anything but the default floor of maps)

Armor Lock
Duration (Same as any setting; three seconds to three minutes)
Cooldown (See above)
Strength (Same as base player shield settings; Invulnerable is an option, which is what it is currently set at)
EMP: dictates whether or not an EMP effect will follow after exiting Armor Lock.
-Default (Same as On, with the exception that there will be no EMP if there is no shield damage)
-On (Always results in an EMP following exit.)
-Off (Never results in an EMP following exit.)
EMP Damage: this indicates the maximum damage. Double's as a shout-out to Halo 2's handicap settings.
-Minor (1/3rd max shield drain)
-Moderate (2/3rds
or 77%, take your pick
max shield drain)
-Severe (100% max shield drain; this is the default setting.)
-Fatal (200% max shield drain; literally can do up to twice the in-engine "health points" players have for shielding, meaning it could kill if you take enough damage.)

Jetpack
Duration (See above)
Cooldown (See above)
Strength: Dictates the thrust of the Jetpack.
-Weak (Allows you to hover or perform small "poots"
:lol
of thrust to potentially damage enemies. See below.)
-Human (This is the default setting.)
-Covenant (Gives you jetpack settings similar to Halo 2's Rangers: this Jetpack effectively serves as a smoother version of "No Clip" found in other FPSes, but with less control. You can basically fly around in three dimensions.)
Height Cap: (Normally, there is a limit as to how high you can fly with the Jetpack.)
[Settings pending: probably anywhere between 0m, permitting JUST floating around with it or maintaining a fixed elevation, and 100m/Unlimited)
Backburst: (allows the jetpack's initial "burst" permitting flight and its following flames to do potential damage.)
-Minor
-Moderate
-Severe
-Fatal (could result in some interesting mindgames or even rocket deflections if done right)

Just a couple of ideas I had.

So dudes, I have started up a blog to take anyone willing to read on my journey through my last year of university with the task of making a Halo game (of sorts) using XNA. It's pretty empty as of now but over the coming few weeks/months it will provide a nice in-depth look at the approach of adapting a Halo game to a 2D environment, what gameplay mechanics to employ, what art direction to go in etc. I have some pretty cool ideas I won't share just yet but rest assured I am doing this to test my skills in programming and design with a focus on fun! :lol

http://violentlyvioletviking.tumblr.com/

I am not intending on making any profits and whatnot. Hopefully HaloGaf will get a few laughs out of it once its done. I really hope I can implement a few features I have in mind. Enjoy it dudes.

In other news, wish me and Zeoutrlimits luck in MLG Belfast (aka Q-Con) this weekend :p With such competitive tournaments as 2v2v2v2 Team Slayer with the top two teams advancing until only 2 teams remain! :lol

MrBig

Hydranockz said:
So dudes, I have started up a blog to take anyone willing to read on my journey through my last year of university with the task of making a Halo game (of sorts) using XNA. It's pretty empty as of now but over the coming few weeks/months it will provide a nice in-depth look at the approach of adapting a Halo game to a 2D environment, what gameplay mechanics to employ, what art direction to go in etc. I have some pretty cool ideas I won't share just yet but rest assured I am doing this to test my skills in programming and design with a focus on fun! :lol

I am not intending on making any profits and whatnot. Hopefully HaloGaf will get a few laughs out of it once its done. I really hope I can implement a few features I have in mind. Enjoy it dudes.

In other news, wish me and Zeoutrlimits luck in MLG Belfast (aka Q-Con) this weekend :p With such competitive tournaments as 2v2v2v2 Team Slayer with the top two teams advancing until only 2 teams remain! :lol
cool, let me know if you need any help with the art

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:

Will definitely stay tuned in.

I just trekked down from the mountains to Boone, N.C., to steal some wi-fi. I haven't been this long without Internet since I was 9 years old. Geez.

First of all, fantastic articles, Dani and Duncan. I'm so sorry I couldn't edit them before I left. I went to get a simple flat tire fixed, and the mechanic walked in from the shop and informed me that I had 12 nails in my tire. How does that even happen? But I'm glad that everything turned out well for you two.

There's too many pages of this thread to catch up on. Anything major happen? :^)

Completely random: Check out what I found in the tree farm behind the farmhouse I'm staying in.

Hypothetical scenario.

We take Reach as it currently is. Full sandbox.

We have the AR/DMR as the two starting weapons.

We also have the BR, a burst-fire 2x zoom weapon, spawning on the map. It is affected by bloom just as the other weapons are. Each 'pellet' increases the bloom slightly.

This makes the DMR a starting weapon that is capable at range, but is still not necessarily the BEST mid-range weapon in the game. So players have another reason (beyond power-weapons) to move through the map.

Would this have made Reach better?

MrBig

The Antitype said:
Hypothetical scenario.

We also have the BR, a burst-fire 2x zoom weapon, spawning on the map. It is affected by bloom just as the other weapons are. Each 'pellet' increases the bloom slightly.

This makes the DMR a starting weapon that is capable at range, but is still not necessarily the BEST mid-range weapon in the game. So players have another reason (beyond power-weapons) to move through the map.

You can't just superimpose it like that. Keeping all the other mechanics in Reach the same but dropping in a BR would basically make it a long range AR.

Additive spread (bloom) in reach is an alternative to constant spread in past games. It was made equivalent by halving the clip size, increasing the RoF, and adding additive spread to effectively give the same kill times. The problem with that though is that it destroys mid-range firefights and adds chaos to cqc.

I'll leave all the other perceived gameplay elements to someone else.

Tunavi

Banned
Thermite said:
sb0ccp.png
hahahah nice

Countdown?

Fuck.
thee henery said:
That's my Halo guilty pleasure. What's yours?
Invasion.
bk's. bk's everywhere...
squidhands said:
Why are there high-level Elites guarding the MAC cannon when they should be using it to blow up the PoA that's right frakking next to them? The writing in this game is perplexing to say the least.
Yeah I thought that was hilarious at first, but then I remembered it's against their religion to use human weaponry.
FyreWulff said:
I've always thought that there should be an Invasion map where if the Elites win the third phase, a carrier jumps in from slipspace and starts glassing the map.
Make a Highlands invasion variant, but put giant walls covering the skybox and after phase 3 have the walls disappear to reveal the skybox lol

Havok

A Warrant Officer (who was as bad as his rank would imply) was just matched in a group of Field Marshalls, Heroes, and a Forerunner, and of course was on our team.

gg bungie

wwm0nkey

Ok about Trueskill, I hear its only default in P2P games, I dont think games like BC2 have trueskill due to it being a dedicated server.

Dedicated servers for Halo 4 plz.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Ok about Trueskill, I hear its only default in P2P games, I dont think games like BC2 have trueskill due to it being a dedicated server.

iirc you were granted the ability to see peoples trueskill once you hit lvl 50 in BC.
Having a dedicated host wouldn't change the matchmaking formula. See: Gears 3

Now what I'm hoping for is a system like Battlefield (on PC at least) in which there is both a server list and a dedicated server matchmaking system. But instead of the matchmaking system just dropping you into a random server based on true skill it would just be the standard full game Halo style.

Crucio said:
Its heresy to use human weapons. Besides, they're probably like "We'll get em with our bad ass glassing!"
Blue Ninja said:
Pretty much this. Elites may be smart, but they've always been overconfident bastards. :lol
Maybe so, but I figured at least with their penchant for destruction of all things human, they'd at least destroy it rather than guard it. It would at least make for a better finale to the chapter, having to stop the Elites from destroying the cannon so you could then use it to fire the shot to let the PoA escape. I absolutely hated the three Firefight scenarios and the way it dragged out the mission.

The Antitype said:
Hypothetical scenario.

I think that could possibly work. However, if the BR JUST serves its former purpose and is effectively a buffed DMR/Nerfle, then it would ruin the "every weapon has a unique purpose" role Bungie tried to do with Reach (and, initially, with Halo CE). I think if they made a "BMR" or something similar to the Halo 2 E3 teaser (burst when unscoped, single-shot, DMR-style shooting when scoped) then we could just kill two birds with one stone.

MrBig

With all this talk of Battlefield in this thread recently, does anyone here play BC2 (PC) regularly? I just got into it recently and some decent squadmates would be nice

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
With all this talk of Battlefield in this thread recently, does anyone here play BC2 (PC) regularly? I just got into it recently and some decent squadmates would be nice
Ive had it on PC since the $6.70 Christmas deal and havent had anyone to play with D:

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Custom Game Server List would mean I would never play matchmaking.
Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many Tower of Power servers there would be? I'd guess 90%, the other 10% a mishmash of bad racetracks and MLG settings.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:

Trueskill is present in every 360 game excluding MMOs (obvious reasons) and EA games (EA has it's own version of Live for it's games)

CoD, Halo, Perfect Dark, GTA.. all Trueskill.

The display ranks in CoD (ie what you prestige), the military ranks in Halo 3 and 4, and the levels you get in GTA4 are just for display/player investment purposes and play zero role in the skill component of matchmaking.

Notably, Gears 2 actually patched out the visibility of TS halfway through and completely replaced it with the EXP system, and even though Gears 3 will have dedicated servers, it's still gonna be using Trueskill.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:
Trueskill is present in every 360 game excluding MMOs (obvious reasons) and EA games (EA has it's own version of Live for it's games)

CoD, Halo, Perfect Dark, GTA.. all Trueskill.

The display ranks in CoD (ie what you prestige), the military ranks in Halo 3 and 4, and the levels you get in GTA4 are just for display/player investment purposes and play zero role in the skill component of matchmaking.

Notably, Gears 2 actually patched out the visibility of TS halfway through and completely replaced it with the EXP system, and even though Gears 3 will have dedicated servers, it's still gonna be using Trueskill.
Can we just kill trueskill already

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Can we just kill trueskill already

Come up with a better method for matching players and MS would be chasing you down with wheelbarrows of cash for the exclusive license

Spoiler: Halo 2's ELO based system was massively broken and if anyone actually proposes it as a serious choice they should be forced to take every math class that exists simultaneously with the world's worst professor and every TA with a chip on their shoulder is grading all your papers

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Firefight is pretty amusing today. No one wants to finish kills, they just put shots on guys and then stop, hoping for assists for the Challenge. I'll accommodate; dude I just played with got 21 assists in our game. He was just running around with a plasma pistol tagging guys a few times while I sniped them. :lol

They need to do it more covertly and use the GL aka the Assist Cannon in EMP mode.

Just fire the GL into the crowd of grunts dropped off and BAM 7-10 assists as everyone else kills them.

Karl2177

Arg! I wish I was near a computer now so I could type up all of my ideas and thoughts toasted the things that have been brought up recently. When I get home in a week, I'm going to type up a rough article on ideas I've had. Where should I post it-one long ass post here or what?

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
They need to do it more covertly and use the GL aka the Assist Cannon in EMP mode.

Just fire the GL into the crowd of grunts dropped off and BAM 7-10 assists as everyone else kills them.
It got a little blatant as Heretic Heavies swarmed the spawn room and he was doing the grenade launcher to EMP all of them while I lined up stacks of head shots. I took it as a metagame to avoid getting killed even as the dude did everything he could to make sure I did. Success on that front, at least. It was fun.

Sai-kun

Banned
MrBig said:

I do! Add me on steam: Sai_chan

Top Bottom