• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

I'd love a Halo Battlefield game heh. They both have their good and bad points.

I really wish Halo had destructible terrain and map sizes to suit. No way to camp when the walls are torn around you but there is plenty of real cover that you don't get rolled.

Plasma pistols are too soft and charging them is like watching a kitten sneeze. It's meant to be plasma! That deadly hot stuff that melts stuff...

Iron sights in Halo makes no sense. You are equipped with all sorts of tech to aim better. I would like a spotting feature (of sorts) though.

Banshees can go die :p Why have Rockets, plasma launchers and Rocket Hogs which all require lock on when the Banshee can and will flip to shake it?

OuterWorldVoice said:
Why is Hitmonchan and Ghaleon going all Brokeback Mountain?
I thought you and 343i would make a movie about HaloFEST. And a movie without a love sidestory is not going to sell well, right?

ncsuDuncan said:
Thursday around noon. Looking forward to whatever pre-PAX parties I find and of course the whatever Seattle has to offer.
I will arrive Wednesday. Let's go Thursday in a Karaoke bar! Oh that is OT.

wwm0nkey

Hydranockz said:
I'd love a Halo Battlefield game heh. They both have their good and bad points.

I really wish Halo had destructible terrain and map sizes to suit. No way to camp when the walls are torn around you but there is plenty of real cover that you don't get rolled.

Plasma pistols are too soft and charging them is like watching a kitten sneeze. It's meant to be plasma! That deadly hot stuff that melts stuff...

Iron sights in Halo makes no sense. You are equipped with all sorts of tech to aim better. I would like a spotting feature (of sorts) though.

Banshees can go die :p Why have Rockets, plasma launchers and Rocket Hogs which all require lock on when the Banshee can and will flip to shake it?
I still think if they where ever to make a MP only Halo game they could only go the ChromeHounds or Battlefield route. A team up with DICE for Battlefield: Halo would be fucking amazing though on so many levels.

EDIT: Doubt we will ever see a MP only Halo game btw

Ramirez

I think if that pistol/grapple thing are any indication, you'll be customizing your weapons like CoD at the very least. Bring on the tiger camo!

FyreWulff

I've always thought that there should be an Invasion map where if the Elites win the third phase, a carrier jumps in from slipspace and starts glassing the map.

Ramirez

thezerofire said:
the Anniversary thread reminds me of my days dealing with kids on the bnet forums. sigh.

Really, I had sat on the sidelines reading the ignorance since the thread appeared, but I got sucked in today!

Striker said:
Fixed for accuracy.
that too, but for me 2008 was better. I didn't have an xbox for Halo 2, so I played a lot at my friends' place, and so didn't develop my own friends and couldn't play it nearly as much.

FyreWulff said:
I've always thought that there should be an Invasion map where if the Elites win the third phase, a carrier jumps in from slipspace and starts glassing the map.

While we are on the subject, who was the captain of that cruiser that decided to flyover the PoA with its glassing cannon when there is an operational MAC cannon in the area, when it could have just parked a few dozen km away and shot the shit out of it with impunity?

GhaleonEB

Thagomizer said:
While we are on the subject, who was the captain of that cruiser that decided to flyover the PoA with its glassing cannon when there is an operational MAC cannon in the area, when it could have just parked a few dozen km away and shot the shit out of it with impunity?
On Long Night of Solace, why is the Savannah within firing range of the corvette, considering the entire plan was to let the boarding party slip in and then slip out? It can't shoot back or the entire plan goes up in (literal) smoke. It had no reason to engage the ship in combat. (The reason is, so it could blow up dramatically.)

The Reach campaign is packed with dramatic moments that make no sense when you step back a bit.

Thagomizer said:
I brought this up on my PoA: LASO run.

I really like the level when it comes to gameplay, but for the story...ugh. Though it was nice toe see/hear Captain Keyes after ten years.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
Though it was nice toe see/hear Captain Keyes after ten years.
I'd like to hear from someone at 343 whether Saber's just reusing all the Reach character and weapon assets or if those were all just placeholders in the video.

GhaleonEB said:
On Long Night of Solace, why is the Savannah within firing range of the corvette, considering the entire plan was to let the boarding party slip in and then slip out? It can't shoot back or the entire plan goes up in (literal) smoke. It had no reason to engage the ship in combat. (The reason is, so it could blow up dramatically.)

The Reach campaign is packed with dramatic moments that make no sense when you step back a bit.

The only thing I could think of would be that if it came up against the Corvette and then just ran away, it would look REALLY suspicious to the LNoS's bridge crew. So, I'm guessing, the idea was to pretend to engage, take a hit that would justify them pulling back to Anchor 9, and do so. However, the hit that they took was much greater than expected, destroying the ship. Everything else (the length of times the ships are just throwing spitwads at each other and so on) is just gameplay/story segregation.

...at least, that's how I try to rationalize it. They could have still had the big boom and had it make sense by having the ship blow up right with you touch down in the sabers and before the Rangers come up out of the comm room. But they didn't.

MrBig said:
I'd like to hear from someone at 343 whether Saber's just reusing all the Reach character and weapon assets or if those were all just placeholders in the video.
I'm hoping some of them were placeholders. CE had the best Marines.

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
I got my first hate PM, because I'm going to PAX.
I love you, too Gui

I'm still hoping I can go.

First dentist to reply to me wants 500$ alone for sedation, not even counting the actual cost per tooth pulled. And Nebraska's pre-screening application tells me I qualify for food stamps but not state health insurance :lol:

Willeth

FyreWulff said:
I'm still hoping I can go.

First dentist to reply to me wants 500$ alone for sedation, not even counting the actual cost per tooth pulled. And Nebraska's pre-screening application tells me I qualify for food stamps but not state health insurance :lol:
Spend those food stamps on the sugariest shit you can find, to make sure you get your money's worth on dentistry.

Trasher

Mikasangelos said:
Imagine if Reach had Kill Streaks.....think the populous onine would be much higher today?
I know this post was a while back, but it made me giggle.

HIGH COMMAND!

BLUNT FORCE!

JOINT OPS!

Thagomizer said:
Why are there high-level Elites guarding the MAC cannon when they should be using it to blow up the PoA that's right frakking next to them? The writing in this game is perplexing to say the least.

Kuroyume said:
Vehicles rule though.... What are you guy whining about? The warthog and banshees can barely survive. Make them stronger for Halo 4. Vehicular play is Halo.

No. Vehicle and infantry interplay is part of what makes Halo what it is.

The vehicles are fine, and maps that promote vehicles above infantry (ie Hemmo, Paradiso, Abridged), all suffer for it.

Meanwhile, maps that allow vehicles and infantry to both play an effective role (Headlong, WaterWorks, Relic, Terminal, Containment, Zanzibar/Last Resort, Valhalla, Rat's Nest, Stand Off, Avalanche) are some of the most fun, and the most loved.

And yes, I loved Rat's Nest. Not ashamed.

Crucio

squidhands said:
Why are there high-level Elites guarding the MAC cannon when they should be using it to blow up the PoA that's right frakking next to them? The writing in this game is perplexing to say the least.
Its heresy to use human weapons. Besides, they're probably like "We'll get em with our bad ass glassing!"

A27 Tawpgun said:
Hmm... is that jealousy I sense?

EDIT:

Also, lol at the shenanigans in the CEA thread.

Once I read someone in that thread say that it took forever to kill people in CE MP, I left the thread, and I will not return.

Crucio said:
Its heresy to use human weapons. Besides, they're probably like "We'll get em with our bad ass glassing!"
Pretty much this. Elites may be smart, but they've always been overconfident bastards. :lol

wwm0nkey said:
Guys I think we are skipping over one major flaw with Halo: Reach.

There is noting to fight for when winning a match. No rank, nothing. When I finish a match all I think is "meh cool space credits" the lack of a Halo 2/3 ranking system kind of ruins the feel a bit.

The Cr system is fine for armor but a 1-50 system needs to come back as well.

I don't think anybodies 'skipping over' it. The countless posts here lamenting the troooskill system in this game attest to that. I'm not saying bad matchups never happened in the other games but they were far less frequent.

People have been speculating about the CE weapons being added for the mystical update Frankie's been referring to; I'd like to see a return to the ranked/social schism, with 1-50 in ranked and your global rank displayed across all playlists. I don't know how good I am at Reach - Arena's population is so small it's hardly a measure of anything.

The Antitype said:
No. Vehicle and infantry interplay is part of what makes Halo what it is.

The vehicles are fine, and maps that promote vehicles above infantry (ie Hemmo, Paradiso, Abridged), all suffer for it.

Meanwhile, maps that allow vehicles and infantry to both play an effective role (Headlong, WaterWorks, Relic, Terminal, Containment, Zanzibar/Last Resort, Valhalla, Rat's Nest, Stand Off, Avalanche) are some of the most fun, and the most loved.

Standoff was really awful when you didn't have BR starts. So many outdoor spawns, and the AR is crap against a Warthog. I did enjoy Rat's Nest though.

Trasher said:
Ugh. NAT was open yesterday. Now it's closed... I'm so sick of this bullshit.
putting my DNS on manual and then setting it back to automatic always seems to do the trick for me.

wwm0nkey said:
Guys I think we are skipping over one major flaw with Halo: Reach.

There is noting to fight for when winning a match. No rank, nothing. When I finish a match all I think is "meh cool space credits" the lack of a Halo 2/3 ranking system kind of ruins the feel a bit.

The Cr system is fine for armor but a 1-50 system needs to come back as well.

People have been complaining about the loss of it since the beginning.

The thing is, I would bet a vocal minority of people really honestly care about that kind of thing. Look at how unpopular Arena was from day one. The idea of being ranked wasn't enough to draw people in there.

For the average person, earning space bucks isn't any better or worse than earning a number beside their name. It's just a bar to fill for the sake of e-penis comparison. At least the spacebucks let you customize your character.

Ken

Trasher said:
Try setting a static IP on your 360 and opening some ports.

squidhands said:

Magnets.

The Antitype said:
People have been complaining about the loss of it since the beginning.

The thing is, I would bet a vocal minority of people really honestly care about that kind of thing. Look at how unpopular Arena was from day one. The idea of being ranked wasn't enough to draw people in there.

For the average person, earning space bucks isn't any better or worse than earning a number beside their name. It's just a bar to fill for the sake of e-penis comparison. At least the spacebucks let you customize your character.
I don't think the importance of ranking had anything to do with Arena. It just wasn't good, and now people don't care. And that "lose your rank after a month" thing didn't fly.

FyreWulff

Trasher said:

I DMZ my 360 to keep NAT open, but sometimes the router gets reset in a certain way and the 360 ends up on a new IP. Check your router settings and see where it thinks the 360 is.

Of course, we wouldn't have any of this problem if we could just move to IPv6 already.

kylej

Banned
Trasher said:
Brand new. >_>

What router are you running? I have never had a NAT issue the entire time I've been online. Flash your router with DD-WRT or Tomato if it's supported, if not return it and buy something with a decent manufacturer firmware.

The Antitype said:

Me too, only for bomb and slayer though. Flag games were usually over too quickly with people running them straight through the middle.

Another map I really liked that not many others seemed to - and i'm donning my forum armorlock here - was Orbital.

Yes Orbital

Not so much for serious games but sniping and silly bomb runs on the back of mongooses were rollicking good times.

That's my Halo guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Tawpgun

Trasher said:
Ha. It bumped me up to Onyx today. That's two seasons of being rated, and two seasons of Onyx. :p

Got a shitty final 2 days of getting rated. Top 20% gold. I know I wasn't playing up to par today....

Trasher

kylej said:
What router are you running? I have never had a NAT issue the entire time I've been online. Flash your router with DD-WRT or Tomato if it's supported, if not return it and buy something with a decent manufacturer firmware.
Linksys E1000. I have no idea what DD-WRT or Tomato are lol. All I know is that the same router at my parent's house works fine, but the one at my apartment doesn't.

thee henery said:
Me too, only for bomb and slayer though. Flag games were usually over too quickly with people running them straight through the middle.

Another map I really liked that not many others seemed to - and i'm donning my forum armorlock here - was Orbital.

Yes Orbital

Not so much for serious games but sniping and silly bomb runs on the back of mongooses were rollicking good times.

That's my Halo guilty pleasure. What's yours?
I got my Perfection achievement on Orbital
on a one-month FFFFFFFF

Top Bottom