• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
For Jelyk
aR86a.png

The Antitype said:
Hypothetical scenario.

We take Reach as it currently is. Full sandbox.

We have the AR/DMR as the two starting weapons.

We also have the BR, a burst-fire 2x zoom weapon, spawning on the map. It is affected by bloom just as the other weapons are. Each 'pellet' increases the bloom slightly.

This makes the DMR a starting weapon that is capable at range, but is still not necessarily the BEST mid-range weapon in the game. So players have another reason (beyond power-weapons) to move through the map.

Would this have made Reach better?

So you just described the beta Magnum. And yes, I want it improves the game significantly in my opinion.

Steelyuhas said:
So you just described the beta Magnum. And yes, I want it improves the game significantly in my opinion.

Well, under the scenario I outlined, the beta pistol would be in place of the DMR, and the BR would be in place of the current DMR.

But yeah, basically you'd have a great, scoped, single-shot starting weapon, and a burst-firing scoped weapon that's a little more powerful, slightly less accurate, with less range.

I'd just prefer my scoped weapon to be a rifle, since the idea of scoped pistol bugs the hell out of me.

The Antitype said:
Well, under the scenario I outlined, the beta pistol would be in place of the DMR, and the BR would be in place of the current DMR.

But yeah, basically you'd have a great, scoped, single-shot starting weapon, and a burst-firing scoped weapon that's a little more powerful, slightly less accurate, with less range.

I'd just prefer my scoped weapon to be a rifle, since the idea of scoped pistol bugs the hell out of me.

I love a scoped pistol. Also, I prefer single shot weapons to burst fire. I hope the utility weapon(s) in Halo 4 are single shot.

In the beta, the Magnum was best at mid-range, the DMR best at long-range. They could also be used in each others ranges of course, but they were at their strongest in those combat ranges. The AR then served as clean up kills and short range combat. I really liked that balance.

On an unrelated note, I want to play some Firefight, but the playlists are discouraging me from doing so. Fiestafight is the fucking shit, but it never comes up/no one votes for it, Arcadefight is always in the top slot, and the loadouts are awful. FRG and jet pack...the gametype is just FRG fight every time.

Kujo

Damn Firefight. Was doing the weekly challenge in FF Arcade, nearly every game there was an idler. 2 in one of them. And usually near the end of the game they'd get a few kills so the game counts them as playing. And there was this guy in Courtyard, hiding in that place you hide, I threw a couple of nades up to push him into the soft kill area. Every time I did that (once each round) he'd come running back and get up into the same spot. So he was actually there, at his TV or whatever, just not playing, staring at a wall or something. I don't get these people.

GhaleonEB

Mojo said:
Damn Firefight. Was doing the weekly challenge in FF Arcade, nearly every game there was an idler. 2 in one of them. And usually near the end of the game they'd get a few kills so the game counts them as playing. And there was this guy in Courtyard, hiding in that place you hide, I threw a couple of nades up to push him into the soft kill area. Every time I did that (once each round) he'd come running back and get up into the same spot. So he was actually there, at his TV or whatever, just not playing, staring at a wall or something. I don't get these people.
The new ban hammer will defect that. A lot of people on Optimatch got zorched for killing a few dudes and then idling.

I've only had one game where someone was idling in Firefight Doubles so far. Seems to be much more active than Arcade in that regard.

Kujo

The game should just auto boot you if you idle for more than a minute, or put you into spectator mode that won't count towards challenges and stuff.

Zel3

oh noes

my challenges got reset :X

should i do them again? i dont wanna get banned, even the weekly i had done is reset.

Ramirez

Mojo said:

Credits are serious business.

Zel3

whats going on?

everybody on my friends list has black default armor, no rank and i reached the credit limit in one game lol.

so funny seeing everyone in the game slowly losing their armor.

Sean

Banned
Zel3 said:
whats going on?

everybody on my friends list has black default armor, no rank and i reached the credit limit in one game lol.

so funny seeing everyone in the game slowly losing their armor.

I hope it's a temporary bug. I was like one game away from the 12,000 cR Firefight challenge. Now the challenges are unavailable and everyone is a Recruit with 0% armory/commendations etc.

Zel3

Sean said:
I hope it's a temporary bug. I was like one game away from the 12,000 cR Firefight challenge. Now the challenges are unavailable and everyone is a Recruit with 0% armory/commendations etc.
Well the good news is that it's just maintenance.

Achronos:

Nope, just maintenance. You may notice some oddness for a bit (mostly in the form of your rank and armor vanishing).

leonfaria04

Neo Member
Zel3 said:
Well the good news is that it's just maintenance.

Achronos:

Lol i stopped playing cause i thought it was my internet.. I just freak out when the match ends and it didnt give me any credits...

Very annoying issue

Pd: anyone wanna play arena? Im about to get my onyx but i cant do it with crappy teammates

Do people really think Tempest is better than Zealot?

Zealot is awesome.
1. Nice symmetry to it
2. Good color coded
3. arena-like.
4. Good jumps
5. nice control spots (gold, middle)
6. Low amount of power weapons

A game of 2-flag on it is awesome.

Bad parts:
1. Lifts could be improved sometimes you cant fucking get in them.
2. It never needed that whole outer low gravity area gimmick, it was fine by itself.

Lol today I won a game and lost a game in Arena and I moved from 10% to 5% Gold...WTF is that shit? I should have moved further away from Onyx...

Also not enough credits will not pop disc in. Its about time Challenges all get doubled in credits... I literally need 1 million points to go from Legend to Glorified Nerd and thats like 650 dailies...Its bullshit, and I don't even get commendations anymore and they are barely a boost in the first place.

I heard shit was supposed to ramp up as you progress so its not entirely much harder to keep ranking, but thats not the case, not at all.

Booties

Banned
Sucks for you. I moved up 10% today in onyx. Suck it BK. Top 50% finally. I seriously dont' get why you guys all got put in gold. I must have been lucky since I started on the first day of the season or something.

Booties said:
Sucks for you. I moved up 10% today in onyx. Suck it BK. Top 50% finally. I seriously dont' get why you guys all got put in gold. I must have been lucky since I started on the first day of the season or something.

Its because the game cant tell a skill kill like me 5 shotting a dude vs a kid jet packing somewhere and pooping shots out from spots that are retarded and shouldn't even be reachable...Reach...I figured it out.

Tawpgun

xxjuicesxx said:
Its because the game cant tell a skill kill like me 5 shotting a dude vs a kid jet packing somewhere and pooping shots out from spots that are retarded and shouldn't even be reachable...Reach...I figured it out.
Well i don't know about you but i didn't start playing with a full team in Arena until my 3rd day being rated. And I played a few games before then but didn't finish the rating.

I got put into top 20 Gold, so I'll see if I can move up.

Tunavi said:
So if we get the Beta Magnum and the Battle Rifle back with the changes in November...I will be very happy

Frankie save us
I'm incredibly interested to see if there will be any new alien weapons to use as well (seems likely). It will be a sad to leave the Nerfle and the Pro Pipe behind, but I'm psyched to see what new alien race Chief will be fighting and what kind of tools of death they use.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
When I say play MLG, I mean it. I feel like so many problems you guys describe everyday are already fixed in MLG. Besides BTB stuff of course.

No armor lock or camo AA's
Mixed objective and slayer gametypes
It has Warlock people, WARLOCK!
Power ups and armor abilities as pick ups on the map
DMR or Needle Rifle starts ONLY!
Everyone can only start with sprint
Lots of CTF!
Zealot is fixed

The list goes on and on....

I can't wait until MLG gets the jackpot weekend shit and see people here say, "hey wait, MLG is actually good" It's not just a bunch of Justin Bieber kids.

MLG Zealot is so good it made me appreciate Default Zealot after hating it for a long time.

The only thing i don't like about MLG is Rockets on Sanc in CTF and Assault.

squidhands said:
I'm incredibly interested to see if there will be any new alien weapons to use as well (seems likely). It will be a sad to leave the Nerfle and the Pro Pipe behind, but I'm psyched to see what new alien race Chief will be fighting and what kind of tools of death they use.

I think they could leave the Pro Pipe in Halo 4. We could just say there was a secret compartment in the Dawn full of GL's ;)

Miggytronz

Tashi0106 said:
When I say play MLG, I mean it. I feel like so many problems you guys describe everyday are already fixed in MLG. Besides BTB stuff of course.

Lots of CTF!
Zealot is fixed

I can't wait until MLG gets the jackpot weekend shit and see people here say, "hey wait, MLG is actually good" It's not just a bunch of Justin Bieber kids.

THIS

BTB MLG.....I DO WANT

Kuroyume

Banned
Tashi0106 said:

Lots of CTF!
Zealot is fixed

They take out camo but leave in Evade? Ok. Actually, I suppose that makes some sense because the guys in there are likely significantly deadlier with a sniper than people in other playlists but Evade still being in there is terrible.

feel

leonfaria04 said:
Lol i stopped playing cause i thought it was my internet.. I just freak out when the match ends and it didnt give me any credits...

Very annoying issue

Pd: anyone wanna play arena? Im about to get my onyx but i cant do it with crappy teammates
I remember a time when people just wanted to play Halo because it was "fuckin halo!! woo!! let's do this!!"

FSU

Tashi0106 said:

Lots of CTF!
Zealot is fixed

MLG settings are largely pretty good, but they have some things that hold me back from playing it more than I do, and it lies within the map selection really.

-They actually built a good version of Sanctuary (on grass too, but that's not what makes it good), but then decided not to use it and stay with the one they are currently using with sightlines that can only be described as fucked.
-Love Warlock in H2, but don't think it is a map for Reach.
-Don't like Zealot on Default or MLG settings. The spawns are awful either way and I do not feel that the sniper should be on that map. Grenade launcher on it is perfect though, not sure why it's not on the map to begin with (it was back when they first showed the map in the multiplayer vidoc).
-They refuse to use King or Ball in their settings (although there is a "playlist" King gametype which is nice.
-They won't consider asymmetrical maps and are unable/unwilling to use DLC maps.
-Gray maps for days.

The settings are pretty good, but they are leaving a lot on the table.

The more actual news I read about Halo 4, the more I believe it will be built completely on the Reach graphics/physics engines. It seems that Certain Affinity is heavily involved in its development, and I don't believe that development has been really going in high-gear for a long time (even though they've "officially" been working on it for years), which necessitates as much already-built infrastructure as possible to make a 2012 release. I believe they should at least create new enemy AI, and I'll be disappointed if they do not. But I do believe this will be the first main-entry Halo game built in the previous game's engines (that's not necessarily a bad thing, Reach's tech is fantastic).

But I'd love to eat these words.

HiredN00bs said:
The more actual news I read about Halo 4, the more I believe it will be built completely on the Reach graphics/physics engines. It seems that Certain Affinity is heavily involved in its development, and I don't believe that development has been really going in high-gear for a long time (even though they've "officially" been working on it for years), which necessitates as much already-built infrastructure as possible to make a 2012 release. I believe they should at least create new enemy AI, and I'll be disappointed if they do not. But I do believe this will be the first main-entry Halo game built in the previous game's engines (that's not necessarily a bad thing, Reach's tech is fantastic).

But I'd love to eat these words.

I think they kinda have to: We're not fighting the Covenant anymore, perhaps forunners, precourser, flood or something else.

To say: Were not done with tose alien yet would be kinda lame and the trailer isn't indicating this either.

squidhands said:
with a secret secret compartment of beta Face Melters.

A secret compartment in a secret compartment, if I had the lanuage skills and the photoshop skills, there would be an image about inception right here.

Tha Robbertster said:
I think they kinda have to: We're not fighting the Covenant anymore, perhaps forunners, precourser, flood or something else.

Well, they could use the existing AI with new models. That would be so lame.

The Antitype said:

A burst firing weapon would have added a third component of strategy to the mid-game weapons that the pistol cannot fill to a large degree.

I think the BR would have been a great addition... MLG becomes a DMR fest over time, it would have been nice to have a comparable alternative. The Nerfle does okay, but doesn't have the raw damage per shot that the DMR has.

leonfaria04

Neo Member
Steelyuhas said:
MLG settings are largely pretty good, but they have some things that hold me back from playing it more than I do, and it lies within the map selection really.

-They actually built a good version of Sanctuary (on grass too, but that's not what makes it good), but then decided not to use it and stay with the one they are currently using with sightlines that can only be described as fucked.
-Don't like Zealot on Default or MLG settings. The spawns are awful either way and I do not feel that the sniper should be on that map. Grenade launcher on it is perfect though, not sure why it's not on the map to begin with (it was back when they first showed the map in the multiplayer vidoc).
-They refuse to use King or Ball in their settings (although there is a "playlist" King gametype which is nice.
-They won't consider asymmetrical maps and are unable/unwilling to use DLC maps.
-Gray maps for days.

The settings are pretty good, but they are leaving a lot on the table.

Mlg settings are pretty good, but we need a ranked mlg playlist so you can get more balance in the games, the other day i play against the new final boss, and 3 vs 4, one guy quits after the 1st kill... That was stupid

HiredN00bs said:
Well, they could use the existing AI with new models. That would be so lame.

The whole happy family with a new paint! But I don't think they will do this though, the game was anounced as a whole new trilogy.

I hope they stay with the core gameplay for atleast the human part of the sandbox and try some new things with wathever enemy we may see.

feel

leonfaria04 said:
Mlg settings are pretty good, but we need a ranked mlg playlist so you can get more balance in the games, the other day i play against the new final boss, and 3 vs 4, one guy quits after the 1st kill... That was stupid
To be fair the guy was dead 2 seconds into the game in a map where you don't even have a clear line of sight of the enemy team on initial spawn xD

I agree with the balance, but at the same time it's kind of cool that you have a chance of getting matched against the mlg kids. Kep and I got matched against pistola and 2gre again recently. Those are really fun games.

Steelyuhas said:

I've bolded what's relevant to my interests.... It's like we're made form the same mold.

That warlock remake plays terribly on the Reach engine. I say take it out of the rotation.

Top Bottom