• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

The Real Napsta said:
All I'm saying is that H2 required less aiming skill than Halo 3. Notably with the BR and Sniper. Small aiming skill-gap isn't good for competitive play.

The button combos did add another layer of depth, I'll give you that.

Yes but I'm saying its the opposite really. You needed to be even sharper because if you messed up for a second your opponent would get ahead of you, its why doubleshots became so popular in the first place, you could catch up if you were down a shot (at a level where most people weren't missing too often)

Yes if you were hitting stationary targets that didn't shoot back I give you Halo 3 required more skill because of less auto aim but in Halo you are shooting thinking living people that are aiming with the same exact mechanics as you in the same game.

Tashi, if the BXR and doubleshot and or quick reload were reintroduced in the next game as mechanics (like Gears power reload) with timing restrictions and a chain of buttons to press, you would welcome them in Halo?

Really you are already pressing combos of buttons to do lots of things, hell its how a controller works. MINDBLOWN.

Anyone wanna get a team of 4 goin in Classic? Bout to step up haven't played since 4/2...6 days without Halo is pretty crazy been working my ass off.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If they worked and fit with the other mechanics then I guess so. They were fun to do. Honestly, I used to grenade reload all the time in Halo 2 and I would argue is was the most useful glitch in Halo 2.

In Reach you can drop an objective item and throw a grenade and the grenade throwing animation won't happen. A grenade will just come out. I use that as well.

I just would rather keep the games entirely button glitch free even though they could be very useful in competitive play.

Tashi0106 said:
If they worked and fit with the other mechanics then I guess so. They were fun to do. Honestly, I used to grenade reload all the time in Halo 2 and I would argue is was the most useful glitch in Halo 2.

In Reach you can drop an objective item and throw a grenade and the grenade throwing animation won't happen. A grenade will just come out. I use that as well.

I just would rather keep the games entirely button glitch free even though they could be very useful in competitive play.

Grenade reload's the one I didn't use actually because Host couldn't do it, thought it was the only unfair one.

Tashi

xxjuicesxx said:
Grenade reload's the one I didn't use actually because Host couldn't do it, thought it was the only unfair one.
But having host in Halo 2 was a big advantage so it sorta evens out.

Trasher

xxjuicesxx said:
Yes but I'm saying its the opposite really. You needed to be even sharper because if you messed up for a second your opponent would get ahead of you, its why doubleshots became so popular in the first place, you could catch up if you were down a shot (at a level where most people weren't missing too often)

Yes if you were hitting stationary targets that didn't shoot back I give you Halo 3 required more skill because of less auto aim but in Halo you are shooting thinking living people that are aiming with the same exact mechanics as you in the same game.

Tashi, if the BXR and doubleshot and or quick reload were reintroduced in the next game as mechanics (like Gears power reload) with timing restrictions and a chain of buttons to press, you would welcome them in Halo?

Really you are already pressing combos of buttons to do lots of things, hell its how a controller works. MINDBLOWN.

Anyone wanna get a team of 4 goin in Classic? Bout to step up haven't played since 4/2...6 days without Halo is pretty crazy been working my ass off.
That still is the case regardless of button combos existing. If anything, the double shot meant you didn't have to be as sharp because you could use that to make up for your mistake of missing a shot earlier in a duel. At least in a situation where the other person doesn't know how to do the double shot, but right there you have an unfair advantage just because it wasn't a very well-known thing to the casual Halo player. I'm not saying the double shot was easy by any means, but I'm just trying to show that your own point sort of goes against what you are saying in a way. FPS's are FPS's. Don't mix them with fighting games. Obviously if you add in another element like combos into a game it will make it more skill based, but at that point you are putting probably 95% of the game's population at a disadvantage and that won't sell many games. In the end it's about selling a product and being able to market it to as many people as you can. If you make a game really difficult with button combos, not many people are going to want to play that. Bungie clearly would never have put something in their game like that on purpose for that reason alone. Which is the same reason why they still cater to the less skilled players based solely on their playlist decisions.

Juices, I think you have a case of
rose-colored-glasses.jpg
regarding Halo 2.

Here's a question for you though: If combos were to be implemented into Halo, they would most likely be fairly easy to do compared to the glitchy shit of Halo 2. I bet it would be difficult to reproduce those same glitches to have the same difficulty. In that case, if they were somewhat easier to execute, would you still want them in the game? Or would you only want them if they were as difficult to do as they were in Halo 2?

eeblogue

Neo Member
Achronos said:
The auto-mute ban system is designed to deal with this problem of "muting everybody all the time" biasing the results of who the system decides to auto-mute. I can't really explain how, but suffice to say that this situation was anticipated and accounted for.

Let's just say that if you're auto-muted, it might be more than just people who mute the opposing team all the time causing you to get auto-muted.

Thanks for the reply.

If the system is really designed to take everyone muting the opposing team it into account, surely the ratio of players auto muted would be pretty similar across all playlists. But from my knowledge the MLG playlist is the only playlist that has 60 percent and more of it's players auto muted.

I consider myself to be a well mannered gamer, I play 90 percent of my games in the MLG playlist and usually with a party of three or more so the chances of me getting muted by my team mates are very slim. I’m not saying it never happens (not everyone takes well to a Scottish tongue) but I never had this problem of being auto muted before the MLG playlist came out.

I would just like to add for the people curious to know how you tell if your auto muted - I only found out because I matched someone on my friend list and he told me, that's after I un-muted him of course.

feel

eeblogue said:
Thanks for the reply.

If the system is really designed to take everyone muting the opposing team it into account, surely the ratio of players auto muted would be pretty similar across all playlists. But from my knowledge the MLG playlist is the only playlist that has 60 percent and more of it's players auto muted.

I consider myself to be a well mannered gamer, I play 90 percent of my games in the MLG playlist and usually with a party of three or more so the chances of me getting muted by my team mates are very slim. I’m not saying it never happens (not everyone takes well to a Scottish tongue) but I never had this problem of being auto muted before the MLG playlist came out.

I would just like to add for the people curious to know how you tell if your auto muted - I only found out because I matched someone on my friend list and he told me, that's after I un-muted him of course.
There's no notification for it?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
You've never seen competitive fighters? Definitely skillworthy, button accuracy has always been a major concern with gaming. Only the best can hit the right buttons everytime in the right pattern with the right timing...doubleshots and aiming at the same time, I had to learn how to claw to do that stuff, fuck thats skill.

Glitchy button combo's in a FPS cannot be compared to combo's in competitive fighters.

BXR and the like in Halo 2 were never designed to be in the game or to have the effect they did and because of this, there's no documented instruction in the game to let players know about them. The sandbox wasn't designed with them in mind so they essentially sit outside of it.

There are traditional button combo's in all Halo games. Aiming, jumping, switching and firing weapons, changing and throwing grenades, activating equipping and the timing of these actions and the sequence are all button presses and combinations.

Halo can just like a competitive fighting game in this kind of comparison. Each player has his or her own strengths and weakness, different weapons, ammo counts, equipment but timing their usage and combining the right actions can be vital, a single misstep can be costly.

If you add in button press combination glitches you are removing it from the comparison to competitive fighting games, not brining it closer.

BXR and the like are fundamentally in error. It is cheating the system in place. If you are online using glitches against other players you cannot assume they will be aware of the glitches, use them themselves or anything. It's an unfair advantage. You'd have to set up a specific Custom game where the rules are explained to every player at the start of every game. You'd have to go out of your way to ensure every player knows every glitch otherwise the you'd be fixing the game in your favour.

In a fighting game, you are expected to know all of your characters moves, special moves and actions, in addition to the opponent's moves and the gameplay mechanics in effect. Knowing all of this isn't enough but it's knowing when to use certain moves and react that is important. Now, let's pretend I have a BXR-esque glitch and deploy it, then I'll have an advantage. My special kick attack hits twice instead of the expected once and since my opponent thought he knew it could only happen once, he's reacted to his expectations and left himself open. I win. By cheating.

Glitches are banned in the fight game community with very few exceptions just like button glitches are banned in other competitive genres.

So not only do glitches break and subvert the established sandbox but glitches cannot be deployed in any sort of fair, balanced or equal manner except in extreme or prohibitively limited circumstances.

If you exploit glitches in a competitive environment, like in fighting games, or like in FPS', you are a cheater.

The problem with Halo 2 was that Bungie simply couldn't fix the glitches and stop the cheaters. Thankfully as technology improves, glitching becomes less of an issue. But putting it up on a pedestal and singing it's praises is just stupid.

*I am not against things like BXR in principle, if it was a designed and planned feature. I do think including higher level button combinations would be sweet for the hardcore fan but it would alienate the casual player and I don't think such a system would be compatible with how the Halo series has developed.

Dani said:
Glitchy button combo's in a FPS cannot be compared to combo's in competitive fighters.

BXR and the like in Halo 2 were never designed to be in the game or to have the effect they did and because of this, there's no documented instruction in the game to let players know about them. The sandbox wasn't designed with them in mind so they essentially sit outside of it.

There are traditional button combo's in all Halo games. Aiming, jumping, switching and firing weapons, changing and throwing grenades, activating equipping and the timing of these actions and the sequence are all button presses and combinations.

Halo can just like a competitive fighting game in this kind of comparison. Each player has his or her own strengths and weakness, different weapons, ammo counts, equipment but timing their usage and combining the right actions can be vital, a single misstep can be costly.

If you add in button press combination glitches you are removing it from the comparison to competitive fighting games, not brining it closer.

BXR and the like are fundamentally in error. It is cheating the system in place. If you are online using glitches against other players you cannot assume they will be aware of the glitches, use them themselves or anything. It's an unfair advantage. You'd have to set up a specific Custom game where the rules are explained to every player at the start of every game. You'd have to go out of your way to ensure every player knows every glitch otherwise the you'd be fixing the game in your favour.

In a fighting game, you are expected to know all of your characters moves, special moves and actions, in addition to the opponent's moves and the gameplay mechanics in effect. Knowing all of this isn't enough but it's knowing when to use certain moves and react that is important. Now, let's pretend I have a BXR-esque glitch and deploy it, then I'll have an advantage. My special kick attack hits twice instead of the expected once and since my opponent thought he knew it could only happen once, he's reacted to his expectations and left himself open. I win. By cheating.

Glitches are banned in the fight game community with very few exceptions just like button glitches are banned in other competitive genres.

So not only do glitches break and subvert the established sandbox but glitches cannot be deployed in any sort of fair, balanced or equal manner except in extreme or prohibitively limited circumstances.

If you exploit glitches in a competitive environment, like in fighting games, or like in FPS', you are a cheater.

The problem with Halo 2 was that Bungie simply couldn't fix the glitches and stop the cheaters. Thankfully as technology improves, glitching becomes less of an issue. But putting it up on a pedestal and singing it's praises is just stupid.

*I am not against things like BXR in principle, if it was a designed and planned feature. I do think including higher level button combinations would be sweet for the hardcore fan but it would alienate the casual player and I don't think such a system would be compatible with how the Halo series has developed.

Cry harder dude, I'm aware they were GLITCHES. They actually made the game better though in my opinion. Everything you typed was a waste of time...glitches were never banned in MLG because they made the skill gap larger.

Ha I'm a cheater lol. You're view about this shit is terrible.

Willeth

While I agree with you, Dani, I can't help but think of reload cancelling, something that Call of Duty has (as do other games), but that's absent in Halo. Essentially, the reload animation is longer than the time it takes to reload the weapon, but the weapon can't fire until the animation is complete. However, with some weapons, you can quickly switch to your secondary and back again, which cuts off the animation and enables you to halve your reload time on some weapons - mainly LMGs. You can also do this to cancel a reload ahead of time in case you're caught unaware.

Halo empties the magazine on reload, so you can't do this - your best bet is to switch to your second weapon and use that, with the penalty being that the full reload must complete the next time you bring your weapon out (although there's a bug in Reach related to this that can be annoying as hell that prevents your weapon from reloading for ages). It's a way of forcing reloads to be decisions rather than reflexes.

EDIT: As regards MLG, I'm fine with it. Because everyone in MLG (not the playlist, the league) was aware of it. That's fine, it's a level playing field. But to argue it's how Halo in general should be is ridiculous. Halo takes great pains to telegraph how it works, and is based on timing, wits and manoeuvrability, with aiming, while still important, taking a firm back seat to these. The BXR (etc) are so clearly against the overall design ethos and doesn't have a place in wider Matchmaking.

feel

The first moment I'm really proud of on Reach mp happened when I was banned.

Game is 47 to 47, I grab the sniper rifle and start screaming "Everyone back up, hide!! Hide!!" but of course I get ignored and my team gives two kills away, then 3 enemies (red guys pictured below) rush a lonely teammate looking for their last kill

2ywh9wy.jpg

... and I became Tashi for a moment.

Video: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15835875

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
Cry harder dude, I'm aware they were GLITCHES. They actually made the game better though in my opinion. Everything you typed was a waste of time...glitches were never banned in MLG because they made the skill gap larger.

Exploiting glitches made the game better for you, not everyone else. Even MLG represents a tiny minority of the overall player base.

Accept the fact that your cheating diminished the game for other players at their expense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:

Game is 47 to 47, I grab the sniper rifle and start screaming "Everyone back up, hide!! Hide!!" but of course I get ignored and my team gives two kills away, then 3 enemies (red guys pictured below) rush a lonely teammate looking for their last kill

2ywh9wy.jpg

Tashi?

No, no good sir, this speech defines that display.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=czb4jn5y94g#t=120s

Dani said:

For the record here (not to argue against your point) the MLG rules included use of these glitches in Halo 2 and they were used often by all the players. So in that universe, it was accepted as law of the land. Many had no issue blurring the line between that environment and that of the general Matchmaking environment, which is where it becomes cheating. Bungie themselves came out and considered it a bannable offense at one point, did they not?

Willeth

Dani said:
Exploiting glitches made the game better for you, not everyone else. Even MLG represents a tiny minority of the overall player base.

Accept the fact that your cheating diminished the game for other players at their expense.
I feel like Halo has two types of players - those who need to win, and those who hope to win. The former want to unbalance the playing field in their favour ahead of time, and the latter want to start with as level a field as possible, and tip it during the course of the game.

Neither camp is wrong, but they're also almost irreconcilable playstyles.

GhaleonEB

Account Attempt #4 said:
For the record here (not to argue against your point) the MLG rules included use of these glitches in Halo 2 and they were used often by all the players. So in that universe, it was accepted as law of the land. Many had no issue blurring the line between that environment and that of the general Matchmaking environment, which is where it becomes cheating. Bungie themselves came out and considered it a bannable offense at one point, did they not?
Bungie's position is, if you are playing in a custom game with honor rules (such as MLG or simple customs) where everyone knows about them, anything goes. But in matchmaking, they considered it straight-up cheating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ywh9wy.jpg

tumblr_l5l38vtffh1qb5vjap4.gif

Trasher

xxjuicesxx said:

I would say that I generally agree with you most of the time, and that I disagree with Dani quite often, but this time I'm afraid he's right. That's great that MLG was able to utilize those glitches to make their games more skillful, but it soured the experience for a lot of the more mediocre/decent players in matchmaking. The biggest reason for that being that a handful of the people around our skill level didn't know about the glitches or didn't care to use/master them. As for myself, I used BXR quite a lot towards the end of when I played Halo 2, but I never used the double shot ever. I know you played a lot more Halo 2 than me (I got sucked in to WoW at the time), but I still played a decent amount at different time cycles of the game. In the end though, cheap glitches that worked based off of whether you had host/good connection were a clear unfair advantage in matchmaking. And yes, that would be considered cheating. I'm sure that people would have raged super hard on the button combos had there not been standbying to complain about. Yeah Halo 2 was great fun and all, but man oh man did it have huge problems that ruined the matchmaking.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Fairly certain he was just talking in general for tournament/competitive play.

Willeth

Can we stop using the word 'skilful', please? It means bog all because everyone's defining it with different parameters and it hinders actual discussion. Be more specific - if you're talking about aiming, dexterity, outsmarting your opponent, whatever, then say so. 'Skill' is a meandering catch-all that can mean proficiency at any aspect of the game and it doesn't help to pepper your sentences with it as if it makes you more coherent or authoritative.

GloveSlap

I've been playing a good bit of communityBTB today. Liking it so far. Only got to play 3 of the maps though.

Montana Gambit-fantastic map that is better than any big map that shipped on Reach (or most other Halos for that matter).

Renegade- Great marriage between Valhalla and Blood Gulch, some annoying vehicles hinder it some.

Benarious Ridge-Such a piece of shit. Overly fortified bases and no cover at all to get from one side to the other. People vote for it all the time too, I don't get it.

Trasher

Willeth said:
Can we stop using the word 'skilful', please? It means bog all because everyone's defining it with different parameters and it hinders actual discussion. Be more specific - if you're talking about aiming, dexterity, outsmarting your opponent, whatever, then say so. 'Skill' is a meandering catch-all that can mean proficiency at any aspect of the game and it doesn't help to pepper your sentences with it as if it makes you more coherent or authoritative.
Who's using the word "skilful"?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Bungie's position is, if you are playing in a custom game with honor rules (such as MLG or simple customs) where everyone knows about them, anything goes. But in matchmaking, they considered it straight-up cheating.

This is the standard acceptance level of cheats and glitches. Playing by yourself or with friends a specific Customised setting, you can play by your own rules.

When playing against others, you have to play by the governing rules in place. In online matchmaking, you play by the developer's rules. On private servers, the server admin's rules are standard.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
This is the standard acceptance level of cheats and glitches. Playing by yourself or with friends a specific Customised setting, you can play by your own rules.

When playing against others, you have to play by the governing rules in place. In online matchmaking, you play by the developer's rules. On private servers, the server admin's rules are standard.
Aye. I generally stay out of this topic because I don't think it's that complex and boils down to what you just said. I'm glad we haven't had to deal with the issue in two games.

Willeth

Trasher said:
All I'm saying is that I used the search function on this page and no "skilful's" showed up except yours!
Whoops, thought it was a language/spelling dig. I bet if you searched for 'Armour Lock' you'd only get a handful of posts, too.

The most recent use of 'skillful' with a double L is your own post shortly before mine.

Dani said:
No kidding, Bungie knows how to best design and balance the sandbox, anything and everything they didn't anticipate nor put in the manual hurts the game at both a casual and competitive level.

Trasher

Willeth said:
Whoops, thought it was a language/spelling dig. I bet if you searched for 'Armour Lock' you'd only get a handful of posts, too.

The most recent use of 'skillful' with a double L is your own post shortly before mine.
Yeah, I was just being a smartass.

In all seriousness though, you really get mad at the use of that word lol? When I say that it is more "skillful," I'm referring to the fact that it is more difficult to be proficient at the game because of the added element of button combos to master and use accordingly. I prefer not to type that out every time though. =/

skillful:
1. Possessing or exercising skill; expert. See Synonyms at proficient.
2. Characterized by, exhibiting, or requiring skill.

The button glitches required skill; aka you had to be skillful with them in MLG to be successful.

xxjuicesxx said:
You've never seen competitive fighters? Definitely skillworthy, button accuracy has always been a major concern with gaming. Only the best can hit the right buttons everytime in the right pattern with the right timing...doubleshots and aiming at the same time, I had to learn how to claw to do that stuff, fuck thats skill.

This is exactly why I dislike the button combo skill in Halo. Its a skill sure, but as much as I respect competitive fighters, simply memorising and knowing when to use button combos doesn't appeal to me. Im pretty hypocritical saying that considering I do like the 'aiming' skill and prefer a harder to use Sniper.

As a shooter I feel that Halo is entertaining from a arena point of view, its literally amazing to watch the best players out manoeuver they're opponents and use clever actions to put themselves in good spots. Its less entertaining playing the meta game of button combo's.

Tashi

Nice clip letters.

LOL Alien, Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie ever.

edit; Thanks for watching.

Eazy, you missed the most amazing double kill bro! :p

Lazslo

AlimNassor said:
i always remember people hated Halo 2 compared to Halo 1. I thought they liked Halo 3. but hated Halo 2. Could be wrong :/
Very, very wrong. People didn't overwhelmingly love the ending, but overall most people did enjoy the game. After all, it did revolutionize online multiplayer with the matchmaking/party-up model.
-Also it was the best BR evar.

Tawpgun

Put me in the camp that liked the button combos.

I used BXB alot, BXR was a little wonky, and I could never doubeshot... but I loved that concept. It doesn't have to be Halo, but I always wanted a shooter to incorporate button combos in it after H2 did it accidentally. It adds a layer of depth to it that seperates the pros from the other players.

And while this wasn't a combo...

BRING BACK MELEE DODGING. I loved crouching before meleeing and having the guy whiff his melee above my head. Now, you only need to be near someone and the but of your gun with always find their face, no matter where you were aiming.

A27 Tawpgun said:
BRING BACK MELEE DODGING. I loved crouching before meleeing and having the guy whiff his melee above my head. Now, you only need to be near someone and the but of your gun with always find their face, no matter where you were aiming.

Well the melees are so easy now so the AR kids can get some kills.

HALO A GAME FOR EVERYONE TO LIVE PEACEFULLY IN EVEN IF YOU CANT CUT IT.

Karl2177

WTF is up with some of the kill zones in Community BTB? There's one with a Banshee in the middle, and there's a hard kill zone about 30 feet above it, with no soft kill zone. smh

Karl2177 said:
WTF is up with some of the kill zones in Community BTB? There's one with a Banshee in the middle, and there's a hard kill zone about 30 feet above it, with no soft kill zone. smh

The WTF is that you trusted Bungie (Jeremiah?) to actually test their games and maps and playlists a solid amount. Its ok though I've made the mistake a bunch of times.

Oozer3993

LosDaddie said:
Alright, hopping online in a few to do the weekly....about 10-15min from now

One spot left if anyone wants to join. GT is the same as here

Sorry man, a friend came over and we got caught up playing FIFA.

Karl2177 said:
That map is an older version of the map and it was fixed to change all the kill zones to soft kill zones. The map creator has already said something about it to bungie and according to the weekly update, bungie is going to fix it.

Top Bottom