• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

thezerofire said:
is there a halogaf tag? it'd be a lot easier than going through all your profiles and adding everyone. I'm not opposed to it but I figure I'd ask.
Yeah, theres a few, but I don't remember their names
I think Dani's planning some customs for tomorrow, join and add people through that

Tentative date for July update
More like the 12th, but it's just a projected date, nothing set in stone.

The update may appear smaller than previous updates, much of the work being done is maintenance for transitioning management.

Super Jackpot for the weekend (and then some)
Super Jackpot Week starts now and runs through 7/7! Play and complete games in ANY PLAYLIST for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 30,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- PREMIUM SLAYER
- PREMIUM BATTLE

Also, Tunavi says hi from the Optimatch forums lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic article, Duncan.

Somehow I've been oblivious to all the Egyptian references until now. I can't wait to see how they implement that. Using Egyptian mythology in sci-fi has definitely been overdone, but I'm confident that Bungie can make it feel fresh and interesting. They got style.

MrBig

omg.kittens said:
Fantastic article, Duncan.

Somehow I've been oblivious to all the Egyptian references until now. I can't wait to see how they implement that. Using Egyptian mythology in sci-fi has definitely been overdone, but I'm confident that Bungie can make it feel fresh and interesting. They got style.
The only thing that comes to mind is Stargate, what else is there even? I was excited when I saw Osiris because I haven't seen much Egyptian mythology explored in sci-fi

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
The only thing that comes to mind is Stargate, what else is there even? I was excited when I saw Osiris because I haven't seen much Egyptian mythology explored in sci-fi
You know... You're right! For some reason it feels overplayed to me, but I can't think of any examples aside from Stargate either. The first scene in The Fifth Element really stands out to me, but, uhh, that's only the first scene, hah.

GhaleonEB

Regarding the HaloCharts estimate of time to Inheritor. Yesterday we thought they were just taking the total credits earned divided by games played, which would sharply overestimate the number of games because of how cR scales with rank.

So, I did an experiment. Yesterday's stats to today's, which just updated:

Code:
              Yesterday    Today    Delta

Total Games   3,044        3060     16

To Inheritor  4,481        4,417    64

Years         1.2          1.1      .1

Playing 16 games moved me 64 games closer to Inheritor. Which makes sense, since dividing the cR I'm earning per game on average right into the total I have left to Inheritor puts me at about 1700 games away - not taking into account Challenges, the bonus jackpots or the higher payouts for the last few ranks. The HaloChart estimate is poor and could use updating.

I made a $10 lifetime donation to the site, but the benefits haven't kicked in yet, alas.

Striker

squidhands said:
Spawns in Reach are somehow worse than they were in H3.
They're just as bad. Ever since they went the route with forge the spawns seemingly have been dreadful.

thee henery said:
Trueskill lul

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=679272822&player=The Henery

Anyone still want to argue that guests should be getting their free taste of Halo in Team Snipers?
I've mostly played Team Objective, and it's nice getting a random who's a Captain or Warrant Officer, and he actually plays like one. So many times we'll get a guy like this and often end up with no kills, no time with flag or bomb, no oddball time, etc. It's an everyday occurrence, really.

I'm not sure how a guy with that skill level, and games played in Objective (low 20's) can get matched up with three in a party who've played over 300.

Jeremiah said:

2j5lw1d.jpg

Striker said:
They're just as bad. Ever since they went the route with forge the spawns seemingly have been dreadful.
Maybe so, but I don't recall having as many hair-pulling testing sessions with forge maps as I do with maps in Reach. Not knowing how/where to place is one thing, but to go through all the tedious bullshit of setting up spawn points and zones only to have the system still not work as intended is infuriating.

Striker said:
Even in the new maps though. Most of the time when I spawn in Uplink it's next to an enemy, or surrounded by them

GhaleonEB said:
Super Jackpot Week starts now and runs through 7/7! Play and complete games in ANY PLAYLIST for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 30,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- PREMIUM SLAYER
- PREMIUM BATTLE​

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=62480321

Wooo

Edit: missed the cause for the dancer.

Posted that about 45 minutes ago.

No one noticed.
Forever-Alone.png

JK its cool

Striker

thezerofire said:
Even in the new maps though. Most of the time when I spawn in Uplink it's next to an enemy, or surrounded by them
I deleted it, but I spawned directly in front of two guys in Multi-team at Last Resort (as the game began). I posted it in the Halo 3 thread, got some lol's, and most knew it's expected given the horrific spawns in the game. High Ground and Narrows were probably the worst offenders regularly.

Striker said:
I deleted it, but I spawned directly in front of two guys in Multi-team at Last Resort (as the game began). I posted it in the Halo 3 thread, got some lol's, and most knew it's expected given the horrific spawns in the game. High Ground and Narrows were probably the worst offenders regularly.
I don't think I ever got anything that bad outside of Onslaught and Amplified, but you think they'd be able to prevent it by now

Jeremiah mentioned three new maps from the Community Cartographers:

"Chateau" [I think that's the right one.]
"Eden Minor (Eden Prime)" [Found it on the author's file share. Author had to change the name of the map. Eden Prime is a reference to "Mass Effect."]
"Renova" [Thanks to squidhands for the link to the most recent version."]

Would you guys like to run through these tonight?

Also, Bungie updated the Aerospace project page. Nothing major, but it now includes this quote:

From seasoned developers to college students if you have a passion for making great games on any mobile or social platform we want to hear from you. (highlighted for emphasis)

That would be awesome if Bungie held a contest like the Independent Games Festival Student Showcase where Bungie would publish the winning title.

Striker said:
I've mostly played Team Objective, and it's nice getting a random who's a Captain or Warrant Officer, and he actually plays like one. So many times we'll get a guy like this and often end up with no kills, no time with flag or bomb, no oddball time, etc. It's an everyday occurrence, really.

I'm not sure how a guy with that skill level, and games played in Objective (low 20's) can get matched up with three in a party who've played over 300.

That's a good point and it really flags up the flaws in the system. Out of interest I looked how many games in that playlist I had played: 418

The guy and his guest who combined to go -33 in a game to 50 kills? 1 game
It was his first game in Team Snipers. I can't believe people can still argue for this rankless quarry. That guy will probably never play the playlist again because he got matched against people far above his skill level. All i'm saying is, I wouldn't want Reach to be my first Halo game, at least ranked in the previous games gave you a steady learning curve to improve upon.

Homeboyd

Hitmonchan107 said:
Jeremiah mentioned three new maps from the Community Cartographers:

"Chateau" [I think that's the right one.]
"Eden Minor (Eden Prime)" [Found it on the author's file share. Author had to change the name of the map. Eden Prime is a reference to "Mass Effect."]
"Renova"

Would you guys like to run through these tonight?
Last batch from CC (w/ Bungie anyways) :'(

Great maps though.. Hope we can continue working with Reach's MM via 343. Anyways, jumping on now if any gaffers want to run a few with a jr. :)

I guess I could use some clarification on what "Super Jackpot" means?

I know the slot machine, and it varies each match. I guess what I'm confused on is if the "Super Jackpot" is in place of the slot machine, or if it is added below it.

Also, how much is a "Double Super Jackpot" worth? 60k?

Major Williams said:

I know the slot machine, and it varies each match. I guess what I'm confused on is if the "Super Jackpot" is in place of the slot machine, or if it is added below it.

Double Jackpots are worth 6k. The regular jackpot is 3k. The Super this weekend/next week is 30k. If you get it will be added to your slot machine I believe.

Homeboyd

Major Williams said:

They are additive.

FyreWulff

Oh man, just realized this means you can get the Super Jackpot in Score Attack.

Technically you've always been able to get the Super Jackpot in any playlist, it's just that the specified list for each weekend had a 100x greater chance of awarding you it

FyreWulff said:
Oh man, just realized this means you can get the Super Jackpot in Score Attack.

Technically you've always been able to get the Super Jackpot in any playlist, it's just that the specified list for each weekend had a 100x greater chance of awarding you it

Is there information on what the actual odds of getting it are? I know its 100x more now, but im guessing its still going to be pretty rare :(

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Is there information on what the actual odds of getting it are? I know its 100x more now, but im guessing its still going to be pretty rare :(
Nope. What I have learned is, nearly everyone but myself gets it after just a few games. It takes me 20+, if then.
Crucio said:
Strange, my Reach name plate was just pushed back to default. On its own. Interesting.

Got it back to normal though.
Just noticed mine is default (blank) as well.

Only, the option is gone from b.net.

Homeboyd

Crucio said:
Strange, my Reach name plate was just pushed back to default. On its own. Interesting.

Got it back to normal though.
Mine did too.. but it was because the Bungie nameplate es no mas. Blue flames too.

Homeboyd said:
Mine did too.. but it was because the Bungie nameplate es no mas. Blue flames too.
Come again?

From B.net's front page:

Blue Flames are not currently available, or there was an error. Please check back later.
----
Homeboyd said:
Should've gone with the bar scene; "Were you saying something? Im sorry.. I dont speak Spanish."
I went with the wheel of cheese scene because I understood what you were saying until that. :^)

Homeboyd

Hey You

Havok said:
Edit: Upon further reflection, I have come to the conclusion that Objective players should be screened for at least a modicum of intelligence.
Then the population of the playlist would be like 10 people.

Hard Mode: Enabled

Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic with these skulls activated: None, ToughLuck, Thunderstorm, Tilt, Mythic
None? :lol

Dax01 said:
So is today the day we get the last Update ever?

Hold me.
I thought we were getting an update on Bungie Day as well?

Hope we get one tonight.

Top Bottom