• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else thinking this will have a new Legendary ending that goes directly into Halo 4? Or at least shows us more of where the teaser left off.
I'm pretty sure the terminals are going to be the only things that impart any knowledge of H4.

wwm0nkey

Hey, it was just a thought guys. I want to see that ass grabbing elite as much as the next guy :p

EDIT: Also I kind of forgot about the terminals there for a second lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
I just realize that I guess this means people that elect to buy it on Games on Demand at launch instead of retail miss out on the skull.

Games On Demand never launch day and date (and price) with retail.

senador

Banned
Wow CEA is looking good. Now I am excited. I hope preorder stuff is general, I'll order through Amazon as I am done with GameStop.

Risen

What kind of wizardry has to take place to make a forum avatar work? AHHHHHH! I've tried resizing to get under size restrictions... roughly looking at other folks images for a template of size... I place the direct link and save it... aaaaand nothing.

Help please?

CE is looking sexy. I want it. Maybe if I play the orginal and just squint a little... :/

Oh well. Roll on November. 3 LAN Parties in 3 months. My years annual leave entitlement is taking a battering!

Gears 3 September
BF3 October
Halo CEA November.

Can't wait!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
Wonder when this will change (the price mark ups need to go first!)

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Don Mattrick Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then Games on Demand will not suck, and not before."

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else thinking this will have a new Legendary ending that goes directly into Halo 4? Or at least shows us more of where the teaser left off.
I'd rather see Johnson's shortsword escaping Halo before its destruction.

Edit: Seeing the tagged files, GAFers who submitted their spartan entry are:
Lyphen, Yeti, CQQB, Gui, Tawpgun and Wu... am I missing someone?

MrBig

Sikamikanico said:
Gears 3 September
BF3 October
Halo CEA November
Skyrim November
My wallet. It hurts.
Also I will probably not be going outside for a few months thanks to Skyrim.

Dani said:
Games On Demand never launch day and date (and price) with retail.
I'm hoping this will change soon. There's an interesting topic going on right now
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437532

My thoughts
MrBig said:
I agree with this. The cross-game networking in XBL is always there, Steam's is unconstant. Based on MS's stance on cloud storage and physical storage, their next console will likely feature full game releases in the same way that Steam has done.

There are issues though. Not everyone wants to use the social media and non-gaming features.
There needs to be levels of the service beyond Gold and Silver. Silver would remain the free service. Gold would offer exactly the same game experiences that Gold currently does. Platinum would offer all of the Gold experiences plus all of the social media, movies, tv, hulu, etc

Silver - free
Gold - $40 MSRP
Platinum - $60 MSRP (current price for gold)

But the current policy of no free DLC and no modding community support (with the obvious securities) needs to go. Let the developers do what they want.

FyreWulff

I was under the impression that CE:A was day and date on GoD. Which would explain the retail preorder bonus. Now I need to go trawl through all of 343 employee's HBO posts to see where I got that impression from.

And now I'm suddenly reminded how Halo 2 is still missing from Games on Demand for some reason.

FyreWulff said:
I was under the impression that CE:A was day and date on GoD. Which would explain the retail preorder bonus. Now I need to go trawl through all of 343 employee's HBO posts to see where I got that impression from.

How would that explain the pre-order bonus? All triple-A titles have a pre-order bonus.

FyreWulff

ODST is also still missing from GoD.

I want to be able to launch all the Haloez from my harddrive, MS

Also drop the damn price from 30$ for both 3 and Wars.

Sikamikanico said:
CE is looking sexy. I want it. Maybe if I play the orginal and just squint a little... :/

Oh well. Roll on November. 3 LAN Parties in 3 months. My years annual leave entitlement is taking a battering!

Gears 3 September
BF3 October
Halo CEA November.

Can't wait!
I would kill someone to attend an Halo LAN.

Okay, so it looks like 343 isn't going to straight copy/paste the skulls from Halo 3/Reach. How about we start making a wishlist for skulls? Keep in mind you're constrained to whatever the Halo 1 engine can do, so I don't think we'll see skulls adding destructible vehicles or anything like that.

Haunted Halo - All enemies have unlimited Active Camo, fading in only when they shoot you.
Feet Don't Fail Me Now - Enemy movement speed is at 200%.
Infection - All dead enemies return as flood-infected forms, regardless of what level you are on.

Any other ideas?

wwm0nkey said:
Wonder when this will change (the price mark ups need to go first!)
It's a complicated issue.

Basically, if Microsoft released Games on Demand on launch day at the same price it would piss off all of the retailers like Gamestop, Walmart, etc.

Microsoft can't do that, they depend on those retailers to sell Xbox hardware, i.e. consoles and controllers.

Valve isn't worried about angering retailers with Steam, because they don't depend on them for hardware sales.

Striker

Halo CEA's first-person UI looks great. And I've hated the shield bar being top middle like it's been for Halo 3, ODST, and Reach.

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, so it looks like 343 isn't going to straight copy/paste the skulls from Halo 3/Reach. How about we start making a wishlist for skulls? Keep in mind you're constrained to whatever the Halo 1 engine can do, so I don't think we'll see skulls adding destructible vehicles or anything like that.

Haunted Halo - All enemies have unlimited Active Camo, fading in only when they shoot you.
Infection - All dead enemies return as flood-infected forms, regardless of what level you are on.

Any other ideas?
Midgy Cricket - The pistol gets a "recoil"(The player flies a few meter, after he/she shot the pistol)
Yeah I saw MiB1 yesterday

ncsuDuncan said:

Any other ideas?

Great idea. Reminds me of nightmare mode in Doom and the Archvile's.

I'm happy they decided to copy the game verbatim with improved visuals. However, couldn't they add extra amounts of enemies for repeated playthrough's? Like, add a Mythic difficulty mode where there's five hunters instead of the usual two. I realise this is pretty uninspired but I love those moments when you've fought for half an hour, ammo is running low then BAM three more Elites arrive and you have to navigate the game in a completely different way than if you had full plasma pistol/precision weapon.

I want to be really challenged because, while CE was a massive challenge on Legendary 10 years ago, it's quite straightforward now.

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
I find it odd to have strong feelings about the HUD.
The first two games were different, but they were simplistic. Ever since it feels like they tried spreading things out or forcing things on screen.

FyreWulff

thee henery said:
Great idea. Reminds me of nightmare mode in Doom and the Archvile's.

I'm happy they decided to copy the game verbatim with improved visuals. However, couldn't they add extra amounts of enemies for repeated playthrough's? Like, add a Mythic difficulty mode where there's five hunters instead of the usual two. I want to be really challenged because, while CE was a massive challenge on Legendary 10 years ago, it's quite straightforward now.

I'm almost expecting a skull that adds enemy count throughout the levels

Tawpgun

Looks so good. The music was subtly better too. But I want to know how A Walk in the Woods and Under Cover of Night was affected.

And if the guitar solo during the Cartographer escape has changed :p

Booties said:
Kyle, are we going to Pax East this year or what?
kylej said:
I don't think Boston could handle the combined Ray-Ban wearing hipsterdom of us both. I'd probably go for like 2 seconds if Halo was there then leave and just hit some bars with my Halo Bros. I'll buy Tawpgun a diet coke.
Oh please. I only drink the hard stuff.

coke2.jpg

No but really I hope Halo is there... It would be in the spring... perfect timing for some Halo 4 Multiplayer Beta Early Access amirite 343? Show the Beast Coast some luvin.

feel

oh my that AR!!!!! Beautiful!! Reach AR = gtfo my Halo 1! (who said it looked small, you're thinking of the Halo 3 AR, in Halo 1 it looked lower like that)

Shame in the vid the AR wasn't used, to see if they also put the original badass louder sound back in

And the game overall looks great!! I'm really excited! :)

MrBig said:
The HUD is the main source of information to the player in any game. Differences in it have strong effects.

I guess when H2 came out I though the shield bar over the radar thing was dumb, i got over it pretty quick though.

senador

Banned
Gabo´s Palace said:
I'd rather see Johnson's shortsword escaping Halo before its destruction.

Edit: Seeing the tagged files, GAFers who submitted their spartan entry are:
Lyphen, Yeti, CQQB, Gui, Tawpgun and Wu... am I missing someone?

I'll do one tonight when I get home.

Letters said:
oh my that AR!!!!! Beautiful!! Reach AR = gtfo my Halo 1! (who said it looked small, you're thinking of the Halo 3 AR, in Halo 1 it looked lower like that)

Shame in the vid the AR wasn't used, to see if they also put the original badass louder sound back in

Shhh, for once we got footage where they favour the precision weapons. Hopefully this is the dawn of a bright new day.

Sikamikanico said:

Gears 3 September
BF3 October
Halo CEA November.

Can't wait!

I can, some of us actually enjoy our sleep.

Damn your kittens, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow.

MrBig

senador said:
I'll do one tonight when I get home.
Is there a time he wants to get everyone in by? I'd like to participate but I won't be able to connect to live until this weekend.

Also I'm starting work on two new maps.
Would any experienced forgers like to join me next week so I can bounce some ideas around?

feel

bobs99 ... said:
Shhh, for once we got footage where they favour the precision weapons. Hopefully this is the dawn of a bright new day.
haha this is not MP, using the AR in campaign doesn't make me fell all BK, I loved spraying covies with it in Halo 1. :)

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
I guess when H2 came out I though the shield bar over the radar thing was dumb, i got over it pretty quick though.

Reminds me of all the changes to Halo 2's hud. At one point the shield indicator was just like.. sticking out of the radar vertically for some reason. Looked very weird. Looking back, it should have been more obvious that Halo 2's development was very troubled, when they hadn't even come close to finalizing the HUD 5 months before launch. The E3 2004 HUD was still using Halo 1 assets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8FdEexJBU

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Letters said:

This might be the first time I've been critiqued for NOT using an AR in a Halo video. :)

I included the AR at the beginning as an easter egg of sorts to show the new in-game model so the lore police would stop calling my home every night about the "appropriate" assault rifle designation.

feel

lybertyboy said:
This might be the first time I've been critiqued for NOT using an AR in a Halo video. :)

I included the AR at the beginning as an easter egg of sorts to show the new in-game model so the lore police would stop calling my home every night about the "appropriate" assault rifle designation.
haha

And I didn't let the multiplayer or the competitive community these past 10 years change my perception of how cool that weapon was when Halo wasn't about multiplayer yet, or even Legendary runs. 9 and 1/2 years ago it was all about rushing on Heroic into a room filled with covies, coop friend by my side, we both holding down the trigger of the AR and watching the visual and aural sex happen with a tear in the corner of my eye.

lybertyboy said:

Dial 117 for the lore police.

Louis Wu

Risen said:
Just to illustrate the point...

Guests:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=704990642&player=Risen%20GBG

Lovely Teammates - with Skill Restriction on:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=706563967&player=Risen%20GBG

These games are why some GAFers have "anecdotal" comments on why TruSkill isn't working as they wish it would. These aren't even anomalies... they are a regular experience.

As it is - if you are a player of skill, the only way to find competitive matches is to search in Arena or MLG. Go in either without a full party and even with the Skill restriction turned on - it does a better job of matching you AGAINST your skill level than with... which is equally important.

Most playlists are a sleepy affair outside of Arena and MLG as a result, and the only way to play a competitive Objective game is in MLG.

I don't remember Halo 3 having this same difficulty as often - but then again it had Ranked playlists.
I wanted to see how 'off' these were. I was surprised.

The numbers in the 'overall' section are competitive only. The bolded numbers in the front are kills and deaths for the game in question.

Blue Team:
15-12 - BGiant: Overall K/D 1.14 (2487 games), MLG K/D 1.12 (2242 games)
13-8 - Charrdonnay: Overall K/D 0.89 (523 games), MLG K/D 0.87 (465 games)
13-8 - xEnvyMassarce: Overall K/D 1.35 (1899 games), MLG K/D 1.34 (1820 games)
9-8 - Iunaa: Overall K/D 1.25 (23 games), MLG K/D 1.25 (23 games)

Red Team:
16-9 - NYSTOFMIND23: Overall K/D 1.25 (2465 games), MLG K/D 1.18 (1913 games)
13-12 - Risen GBG: Overall K/D 1.59 (1130 games), MLG K/D 0.98 (190 games)
4-12 - AmOver9000: Overall K/D 1.01 (310 games), MLG K/D 0.81 (127 games)
3-17 - x Mr Awesome x: Overall K/D 1.58 (3305 games), MLG K/D 1.08 (35 games)

Seriously - the two guys who lost the game for you do NOT look, on paper, like they should have lost the game that badly. AmOver9000 has stats that are better than Charrdonnay's (though for half as many overall games, and a third as many MLG games), while x Mr Awesome x's stats are better than BGiant's (except without any real MLG experience). Trueskill numbers for a team of 4 require somewhere between a hundred and 200 games to be fully nailed down - I'm not sure what sort of system would do better with people like this.

I'm not saying it's not frustrating to get dragged down like this - I'm saying that on paper, at least, the two guys who dragged you down should NOT have been so badly outclassed. The system didn't fail - those two players did.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:

Well we might get a squeeze from Johnson but that's about it I think.

Sikamikanico said:
Gears 3 September
BF3 October
Halo CEA November.
Skyrim November
AC Revelations November

That wallet's tears will be vast, and my eyes will bleed.

I'll order CEA when I see what the TU does, and what maps they are remaking.

Striker said:
Halo CEA's first-person UI looks great. And I've hated the shield bar being top middle like it's been for Halo 3, ODST, and Reach.

Moving the shield to the top was one of the best things they did with the HUD IMO, much much easier to see.

feel

The real-time switch for new and old visuals of Anniversary was a genius way of having your game slap people and their bad opinions for you.

"Really? No visual improvement whatsoever?? Exactly the same? Press Select..."

Though the jump in visuals will be way more apparent when people play it in their 47' screens at home, rather than judging from a youtube vid.

VVV
PsychoRaven said:
I disagree. The jump is very very damn apparent from the Youtube video alone. If someone denies that then they're blind.
And I agree with you. Can't believe people think it looks bad, seeing the beautiful updated models to the old classics made my d*** twitch,
9hi6q9.jpg

but maybe I'm biased or influenced by nostalgia, I don't know. It still hurts seeing 343's work and direction being trashed like that in that thread, people where expecting a Halo CEmake that looked/played nothing like Halo CE but more similar to whatever is the hot gritty new trend now or something? I hate gaf/theinternet :(

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
The real-time switch for new and old visuals of Anniversary was a genius way of having your game slap people and their bad opinions for you.

"Really? No visual improvement whatsoever?? Exactly the same? Press Select..."

Though the jump in visuals will be way more apparent when people play it in their 47' screens at home, rather than judging from a youtube vid.

I disagree. The jump is very very damn apparent from the Youtube video alone. If someone denies that then they're blind.

Top Bottom