• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Kujo

I gots a question, do firefight voices and crappy armor effects add towards the armory completion %? I've got almost every regular suit item but % is still under 90.

PNut

Banned
Caught up with the thread and it's exciting to read all the speculation on what BS Angel teased last week with the TU. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Also, while it's still early 343, can the ability to watch Theater with friends please be brought back for Halo 4? It's a simple request that a lot of people may not care about, but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that it was real handy feature in H3. Thanks.

GhaleonEB

Mojo said:
I gots a question, do firefight voices and crappy armor effects add towards the armory completion %? I've got almost every regular suit item but % is still under 90.
Yes, they count.

PC saga continues: I rebooted the computer after installing Live Messenger. Now my NAT is set to moderate again, rebooting the entire network and all hardware three times in a row hasn't gotten it back to open. Good grief. :\

Kujo

GhaleonEB said:
Yes, they count.
Bummer, I can't bring myself to spend 2mil or so credits on that stupid lightning one

PC saga continues: I rebooted the computer after installing Live Messenger. Now my NAT is set to moderate again, rebooting the entire network and all hardware three times in a row hasn't gotten it back to open.
Try turning the modem back to factory default settings? I had mine turn moderate and doing that returned it to open

Sai-kun

Banned
Lazslo said:
Sorry I know you, and everyone else doesn't give a shit (lul, I wouldn't) but yeah were not married...yet. Hah but thanks for the help with the Title bro. I'll be back on live soon destroying you in 5 shots as usual.

I miss destroying peeps with you <3 hope you get a new box soon!

GhaleonEB

Mojo said:
Bummer, I can't bring myself to spend 2mil or so credits on that stupid lightning one
The final helmet aside (which isn't unlocked until the final rank), that's the only thing I have left. Currently "saving" up for it. Apparantly nothing new unlocks for the next seven million credits or so, which is odd.

Try turning the modem back to factory default settings? I had mine turn moderate and doing that returned it to open
I'll give the a shot in the morning, thanks for the suggestion.

senador

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
If I were the Master Chief I'd want a single weapon that can do it all
CE Pistol, please
I mean why are we limiting all this futuristic/forerunner technology to only short range, medium range, and long range? Envisioning what must go through the Master Chief's head, having to switch to the assault rifle for close encounters, gives me a chuckle. "Hold on a sec, Cortana.. I gotta switch to the AR."

I typed something up about this, and made fun of you a bit but decided that was dumb. Basically though, I don't think this would be true with real guns, especially future guns. Range would be even more defined and the guns chosen for the range would be even more important.

I'm glad Halo isn't exactly true to real life. It needs to be about what a player can do with a controller in their hand, and not how it'd play out IRL.

But yes, if you were in-game Chief, I'd agree and punch Cortana for finding you a weapons store of ARs.

Am I right in thinking this?

senador said:
I typed something up about this, and made fun of you a bit but decided that was dumb. Basically though, I don't think this would be true with real guns, especially future guns. Range would be even defined and the guns chosen for the range would be even more important.

I'm glad Halo isn't exactly true to real life. It needs to be about what a player can do with a controller in their hand, and not how it'd play out IRL.

But yes, if you were in-game Chief, I'd agree and punch Cortana for finding you a weapons store of ARs.

Might as well just slam your own cranium into a wall since she can't really be punched.

senador said:
I typed something up about this, and made fun of you a bit but decided that was dumb. Basically though, I don't think this would be true with real guns, especially future guns. Range would be even more defined and the guns chosen for the range would be even more important.

lol. Yeah, I wasn't really thinking in terms of being realistic. It doesn't bother me having weapons in games that excel at close range or distance, but I don't like the idea that just because a weapon like the DMR or BR is good at distance, it should be terrible at close range. I know devs have to try to balance the game and give different weapons their specific roles. I just dislike the assault rifle so much as a more competent weapon like it is in Reach.

I loved the assault rifle in Combat Evolved. It was fun to use (and useful in specific circumstances), it sounded awesome (especially the melee sound effects) and had a good feel. But it wasn't a dominant weapon, just like the needler and the plasma repeater aren't dominant weapons in Reach. Moving the assault rifle to the forefront as an alternative go-to weapon just irks me. And then calling it iconic is kind of silly to me because it wasn't even in Halo2 and wasn't really worth picking up until Reach. Halo has always been a precision weapon game for me and if Halo4 tries to continue pushing the assault rifle as a an alternative yet equally powerful option, I'm going to cry.

Deputy Moonman said:
lol. Yeah, I wasn't really thinking in terms of being realistic. It doesn't bother me having weapons in games that excel at close range or distance, but I don't like the idea that just because a weapon like the DMR or BR is good at distance, it should be terrible at close range. I know devs have to try to balance the game and give different weapons their specific roles. I just dislike the assault rifle so much as a more competent weapon like it is in Reach.

I loved the assault rifle in Combat Evolved. It was fun to use (and useful in specific circumstances), it sounded awesome (especially the melee sound effects) and had a good feel. But it wasn't a dominant weapon, just like the needler and the plasma repeater aren't dominant weapons in Reach. Moving the assault rifle to the forefront as an alternative go-to weapon just irks me. And then calling it iconic is kind of silly to me because it wasn't even in Halo2 and wasn't really worth picking up until Reach. Halo has always been a precision weapon game for me and if Halo4 tries to continue pushing the assault rifle as a an alternative yet equally powerful option, I'm going to cry.

This second paragraph is pure Halo beauty.
work.6451554.1.fc,135x135,royal_blue.v3.jpg

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
PC saga continues: I rebooted the computer after installing Live Messenger. Now my NAT is set to moderate again, rebooting the entire network and all hardware three times in a row hasn't gotten it back to open. Good grief. :\

On your 360? You could try setting a static IP for your 360 and then forwarding that port. Worked for me when my NAT randomly switched to moderate/strict.

Devolution said:
Made some player with the name "im so MLG bro" rage quit in doubles.
f43b838d.png

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=706580958&player=Chocopolka

Ken said:
On your 360? You could try setting a static IP for your 360 and then opening that port. Worked for me when my NAT randomly switched to moderate/strict.

What number is the port you need to open? Im guessing depending on the dynamic ip you set it changes? If so whats the rule to know which port to open?

My xbox has been closed nat for a while now and I would love to sort it out :S

Nutter said:
Pfft, bloom has been in Halo since Halo 2.

I laughed.

As for having different weapons for different ranges. I dont understand why people say that makes for better gameplay than having a versatile weapon which works close and mid range. Do people really just need to keep seeing different weapon skins or something? It doesnt add much variety to the gameplay itself, it just sets artificial annoying limits on what the player can do. I would argue it takes some of the variety out of the gameplay although I admit thats a subject that comes down to preference really. I think close range BR battles are far more dynamic (and fun) than AR battles.

Ken

bobs99 ... said:
What number is the port you need to open? Im guessing depending on the dynamic ip you set it changes? If so whats the rule to know which port to open?

My xbox has been closed nat for a while now and I would love to sort it out :S

I laughed.

I just followed this website's directions.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Choose your router, skip the advertisement on the next page, and then choose Xbox Live for programs. If you don't know how to set up a static IP: 'Setup a Static IP address on the Xbox 360.' Once you've setup your static IP, head back to the port forwarding guide. Should guide you through the whole process.

bobs99 ... said:
As for having different weapons for different ranges. I dont understand why people say that makes for better gameplay than having a versatile weapon which works close and mid range. Do people really just need to keep seeing different weapon skins or something? It doesnt add much variety to the gameplay itself, it just sets artificial annoying limits on what the player can do. I would argue it takes some of the variety out of the gameplay although I admit thats a subject that comes down to preference really. I think close range BR battles are far more dynamic (and fun) than AR battles.

I think weapons should be differentiated in terms of use and not range. I'm always, always going to pick up a plasma pistol as a sidearm because it's really useful in many situations (taking out vehicles, countering a shotgun, noob-combing, etc). The assault rifle... not so useful. I can kick asses in CQC with my dmr/pistol :D And if bleed-through shields was still in, AR would be even less useful.
I mean, what's the point of the assault rifle other than giving not-so-good players an easy way to rack up some kills? Back then in halo:ce it was so much fun to mow down grunts with it, but now I don't know why it's not that fun anymore...
At least halo2's SMG was good at taking out the banshee (if I'm not remembering wrong) and you could dual-wield it. SMG > AR. ODST's SMG >>> AR

vhfive

Lazslo said:
Sorry I know you, and everyone else doesn't give a shit (lul, I wouldn't) but yeah were not married...yet. Hah but thanks for the help with the Title bro. I'll be back on live soon destroying you in 5 shots as usual.
:( Imma miss playing with you

that's what you get for buying a jetta :p

Steelyuhas said:
This second paragraph is pure Halo beauty.
work.6451554.1.fc,135x135,royal_blue.v3.jpg
Haha hugs all around!
Only watch the first 10 seconds or so, which has nothing to do with hugs, but who cares!
sorry, I'm obsessed with Regular Show right now. Love that show.
bobs99 ... said:
The bolded line is so true.

Tawpgun

You know they'll still have AR starts to please all the DMR haters. The only thing we can hope for is a good sidearm. Halo Reach Beta Pistol with enough bullets to kill 2 full shields people at least.

Devolution said:
Maybe I'm just weird but I always wanted a different set of sensitivity for sniper.

That option would be amazing.

Reasoning is I want my sniper to be as fast as my normal sensitivity. Which is different from what you are forced to use right now and in all previous Halo's. Zoom in get that slow shit, get that slow shit out of here!

Striker

The beta Pistol was enough to counter a DMR, Needler Rifle, etc. It held its own tremendously. All it needed in change was to increase the opacity of its reticle.

I also was in the club of not seeing the necessity of DMR starts across all of Objective. Granted I welcomed it dearly in Boardwalk, Hemorrhage (before axing) and Tempest, but not everywhere in sight. A Pistol was enough for me to counter those AR users. I guess that's why I enjoyed Team Skirmish in Halo 2 so much. So much variety among the gametypes and weapon settings.

Ruze789

Does Renova (Team Slayer) really have no DMRs?

Didn't have time to go back in Theater and see but I never came across a single one, not placed on the map or dropped by a dead player. Didn't even hear any.

Really crappy to have AR start and then not be able to run and grab a DMR anywhere at all.

Deputy Moonman said:

Pfft... adapt and enjoy the variety noob.

Don't have a problem with AR starts but i tend to switch to pistol most of the time, even with the horrible bloom i fancy my chances of stripping someone shields quicker and getting a headshot or melee in first.

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
YHalo Reach Beta Pistol

The Reach Beta pistol was close to being perfect prior to the nerf... it needed a couple extra bullets. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the change to the pistol from beta to final release...

again... make other guns STRONGER if you feel there is an issue with imbalance power-wise. I see justification from developers using statistical analysis to come to a conclusion that a gun is "overpowered". They will look at the number of kills by a given weapon, or number of people playing with a given weapon, and if it is above a certain percentage conclude it is overpowered.

If a bunch of people are using a given weapon, it's because the developer did something RIGHT with it, not wrong.

Whether it's the 74u and Famas in Black Ops, or the Pistol and BR/DMR in Halo - buff the other weapons, don't nerf those that you got right.

king picollo said:
Don't have a problem with AR starts but i tend to switch to pistol most of the time, even with the horrible bloom i fancy my chances of stripping someone shields quicker and getting a headshot or melee in first.

The beta pistol was superior though, I hope it makes a return to form with the 343i TU.

Sikamikanico said:
The beta pistol was superior though, I hope it makes a return to form with the 343i TU.
I don't even remember it, it'll probably break Invasion though if the pistols too strong, the first round is already a grind for the Elites with no precision weapons.

king picollo said:
I don't even remember it, it'll probably break Invasion though if the pistols too strong, the first round is already a grind for the Elites with no precision weapons.

Watch Vinnie and I's BETA Montage - theres a clip of you destroying 3 guys in 1 clip. And it's awesome.

Tawpgun

king picollo said:
Then fix elites and the covey sandbox. The human weapons are fine. Pistol could use a buff, but the covey weapons are weak as hell.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Then fix elites and the covey sandbox. The human weapons are fine. Pistol could use a buff, but the covey weapons are weak as hell.
Agreed, it was a poor choice to add new Covenant weapons to the game and them make nearly all of them ineffective (Nerfle notwithstanding, love that gun) compared to their human counterparts. I will say that I love the power of the plasma pistol in Reach.

Falt

MrBig said:
Don't even bother with forwarding all the necessary ports, just place the 360 in a DMZ.

Go on...

We currently have 3 360s set up in our house. We run into problems in matchmaking quite a bit, not finding games and also d/c'ing from games randomly but not losing our connection to XBL. It's frustrating, to say the least.

senador

Banned
Another one for Reach beta pistol here. Man that thing was awesome. Once you got the hang of it you could take out charging ARers with ease.

I still think it's fine though. It really just needs a clip increase by at least 2. Man, I'd be so happy if that happened.

Top Bottom