• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Havok

Turned in a few self-made challenges now that the site's back up. Without knowing what sort of support it'll be getting in the future it's hard to make much of a quality judgement (more specification with medal types, etc would go a long way) but it's a very slick execution on the idea. Glad to see they aren't making it totally easy to game the system, but aren't treating the cR economy as if it actually matters in the long run either.

Pro-tip: Set challenges to the lowest time limit (3 hours) to maximize income for short challenges.

Ken

002dafd7.png

Anyone running Anniversary matchmaking parties tomorrow night?

Nollemaster said:
The Official Dutch Xbox Live Facebook account just posted:

75% Of the reactions consists of pure hate against the Halo franchise.

Here are some examples:

What a pricks.
What has the dutch halo community become? :(

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
I don't see a specific weapon listed in that challenge. Perhaps I'm not reading it correctly.
To be fair, there are only two weapons in that class - Plasma Pistol or Magnum. Definately encourages a specific type of play, or selection of playlists/game types, to accomodate.

So long as the weapon is one that appears in a load out somewhere, weapon or weapon class-specific Challenges are okay for Firefight, as the gameplay unfolds very simlar to Campaign.

Is it right that we can't specify medal goals, just the # of medals, and no points-based goals?

Also, the built in Challenges have two modifiers for Firefight, one for "in one game", and another for "without dying". Not seeing those as options, but then my browser hasn't let me into the site since the first went up (blaming my crappy work browser here). They'd be great to have in there.

I'm stuck at work for the next bit but I'm chomping at the bit to dive into the custom Challenges.

Trasher

I don't approve of all this Halo talk. Let's get down to real business here:

Should I worry much about beating Skyrim too early by following the main quest line? I'm already at Riften at level 20. I'm just worried I'll beat the main quest line and won't be able to go back and do other stuff.

Havok

Trasher said:

Should I worry much about beating Skyrim too early by following the main quest line? I'm already at Riften at level 20. I'm just worried I'll beat the main quest line and won't be able to go back and do other stuff.
It dumps you into the world at the end of the game, as Elder Scrolls games do. Do whatever you want whenever you want.

Ken

Trasher said:

I've heard you can beat the main quest and continue playing the game and doing quests.

blamite

wtf, why has my copy of Anniversary not shipped? They already charged me for it, but it's still "shipping soon". I better get this tomorrow
so I can play it instead of writing papers.

Blinding

blamite said:
wtf, why has my copy of Anniversary not shipped? They already charged me for it, but it's still "shipping soon". I better get this tomorrow

Did you buy it from NewEgg? They gave me a tracker link via UPS, which hopefully means they'll be shipping out tonight.

feel

blamite said:
If it's Amazon don't worry about it, the status updates for release date delivered games lag a lot.

Ken

Letters said:
If it's Amazon don't worry about it, the status updates for release date delivered games lag a lot.
Sometimes they do miss release date even with a late shipping soon. Happened to me with Dark Souls.

Hey You

Hitmonchan107 said:
Looks like DeeJ is, indeed, the new Assistant Community Manager.

Choice quote:
So, I picked up a new guy to help out from one of those Bungie-stroking feel-good websites that saturate the Internet like so many drops of rain falling upon the streets of Seattle.
Good, pick someone who rarely posts on Bungie.net. Hopefully that changes since hes CM or then there's no point in even given him Gold text.

Played a fair few BTB games today, my thoughts.

Playlist needs a huge cutdown in terms of modes.

Each voting option should have one of each map and gametype, twice got elite slayer on high noon and below it on breakneck.

Higher weighting on objective especially 1 flag and neutral bomb.

Anniversary slayer is awesome.

Hopefully the December playlist update takes some of these elements into account.

Striker

Elite Slayer, along with regular Slayer and Bro Slayer, were jammed down our throats early on in Reach BTB also.

Why flag and assault get neglected as they have been is pretty unfortunate.

Striker said:
Elite Slayer, along with regular Slayer and Bro Slayer, were jammed down our throats early on in Reach BTB also.

Why flag and assault get neglected as they have been is pretty unfortunate.

Agreed, out of all the matches, by far, 1 flag on headlong was king.

blamite

Letters said:
Yeah, it's Amazon. I wouldn't be worried except I haven't gotten any emails about it either, which apparently others have gotten today.

Striker

ElzarTheBam said:
Agreed, out of all the matches, by far, 1 flag on headlong was king.
Has it shown up yet? One bomb and One flag should be critical and show up each voting stage.

2-flag and Neutral Bomb on Ridgeline, same thing.

Havok

malfcn said:
You can use Custom Challenge to boost?
Does Anniversary support the armory of Reach?
Kind of, but there's a credit cap in place, so it mitigates that activity.

The Anniversary campaign doesn't support the Armory, no. The multiplayer is just Reach, so yeah, your dude will be there.

Tashi0106 said:
Anniversary maps and playlists are fun so far. High five 343
How are you liking the Anniversary gametype? Does it really just feel like SWAT?

I'm also bored at work so you should stream some more.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
Yeah, it's Amazon. I wouldn't be worried except I haven't gotten any emails about it either, which apparently others have gotten today.

Don't worry. You won't always get the email. Sometimes You'll get it as late as early morning. Hell one time I even got the email about it having shipped after I already had received it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Barrow Roll said:
How are you liking the Anniversary gametype? Does it really just feel like SWAT?
It's tough to get a good feeling for it. I played largely against complete noobs. Against a good team I can see myself liking it less because if you run into more than 1 person you die instantly. Some people will claim thats how it should be but when you're getting romped on and dying so fast, it's just not fun. A system like the Anniversary one really puts a lot of pressure on other aspects of the game. The spawn system needs to be really great and on point at all times. Any players spawning out of cover against a good team with a setup will die instantly. The other weapons need to be fit in as well. Rockets shoot far too slow for the classic settings. They work fine for normal Reach though. Maybe the sniper should have a faster reload or quicker time between shots. So, right now it's tough to tell. I do like the movement speed, almost makes me not care for sprint. The maps themselves are of course damn good. Beaver Creek quickly became one of the best maps in the game even though I do have some gripes with it. Btb is fun with headlong and timberland. Already having epic matches on those maps.

I think it's easy to be awestruck with the new settings when maybe it's the maps themselves that are patching up the issues with the settings. Initial impressions are positive but I still need to play much more.

Striker said:
Has it shown up yet? One bomb and One flag should be critical and show up each voting stage.

2-flag and Neutral Bomb on Ridgeline, same thing.

I played 10 games I think, 1 flag on headlong has shown up twice, got voted twice.

Ridgeline neutral bomb came up twice, voted once.

Played territories twice on breakneck, that was pretty good.

The rest of the options consisted of elite slayer, crazy king, stockpile etc.

Like you said the playlist needs to be condensed preferably into an objective heavy one, with objectives that makes sense in relation to the maps

Tashi0106 said:
It's tough to get a good feeling for it. I played largely against complete noobs. Against a good team I can see myself liking it less because if you run into more than 1 person you die instantly. Some people will claim thats how it should be but when you're getting romped on and dying so fast, it's just not fun. A system like the Anniversary one really puts a lot of pressure on other aspects of the game. The spawn system needs to be really great and on point at all times. Any players spawning out of cover against a good team with a setup will die instantly. The other weapons need to be fit in as well. Rockets shoot far too slow for the classic settings. They work fine for normal Reach though. Maybe the sniper should have a faster reload or quicker time between shots. So, right now it's tough to tell. I do like the movement speed, almost makes me not care for sprint. The maps themselves are of course damn good. Beaver Creek quickly became one of the best maps in the game even though I do have some gripes with it. Btb is fun with headlong and timberland. Already having epic matches on those maps.

I think it's easy to be awestruck with the new settings when maybe it's the maps themselves that are patching up the issues with the settings. Initial impressions are positive but I still need to play much more.
Thanks for your impressions. I'm intrigued because I never really played Halo CE multiplayer. Only ever played co-op campaign since I only had 1 buddy that played Halo. I looked up some 4v4 vids on Youtube and kill times seem really fast so perhaps it matches.

PS. Get back on the stream dawg.

GhaleonEB

I created a custom Challenge to land 200 headshots in Firefight Matchmaking in the next three hours which seems to be the minimum. It's worth 6,593 credits, which strikes me as a lot. That is not a complaint.

Sort of hit Create before inviting anyone to complete it, but I'll send one out after this one is expired.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
I created a custom Challenge to land 200 headshots in Firefight Matchmaking in the next three hours which seems to be the minimum. It's worth 6,593 credits, which strikes me as a lot. That is not a complaint.

Sort of hit Create before inviting anyone to complete it, but I'll send one out after this one is expired.
Me please.

:)

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
Me please.

:)
I'll get you on the next one. Edit: whoops, you're not on my friend list. We'll have to fix that.

Test #2 was a Campaign Challenge, which has a good number of combination options.

I like to romp through ONI on Heroic for many of the regular Challenges, so I used that. The Challenge requirements were:

Earn 125 kills on ONI, Heroic difficulty, with Thunderstorm, Famine, Cowbell and Grunt Birthday Party on.

It's worth 1,236 credits, about 1/5th the payout for 200 headshots in Firefight Matchmaking. I was hoping the Campaign ones would be a tad richer, since I've been enjoying Campaign a lot lately. The options for Campaign are great, I just hope the payouts are buffed considerably. To prevent grinding, perhaps a minimum time window of 24 hours could be assigned to Campaign Challenges.

I'll queue up one more then knock off a couple of them.

Edit: Test #3 was to see if different enemies were worth different values. I created a Challenge to kill two Hunters in Firefight Matchmaking. It is worth 86 credits. I'm guessing no. :lol

Karl2177

So I'm tinkering with the custom challenges now. Can you not set a per game count? It seems really limiting with what you can do.

feel

blamite said:
I buy tons of games from them on release date delivery and I always receive them on launch day (well, not me, but the people who will get them for me and then get them to me). Usually I get the shipped email a short few hours before the package is delivered, sometimes even after it's been delivered.

GhaleonEB

Karl2177 said:
So I'm tinkering with the custom challenges now. Can you not set a per game count? It seems really limiting with what you can do.
Only Campaign offers secondary criteria, which are Map, Difficulty, and Skulls (any combination).

Looks like Firefight and Multiplayer do not feature secondary criteria, just a target or kill method, and a number. A bit more limited than I was hoping for.

Still, it's a neat feature and I hope a proof of concept for what will be a fully fleshed out feature in Halo 4. One way to make the Challenge system fully configurable, rather than the baked-in ones from Reach, is to expose this kind of control to the user. Imagine a system where we got X number of Challenges fed from 343, and could complete X number created by ourselves or others per day. A really robust system that let us stack criteria (Complete ONI on Heroic while getting at least 100 kills and no deaths in 20 minutes or less....) would be bonkers.

As with the title update, if the tea leaves here point to what they're up to with Halo 4, good times ahead.

Homeboyd

Can you not participate in your own challenges?

Edit: Nvm, takes a minute to update.

PsychoRaven said:
Don't see any way to. You could probably make a silver account and create them on that and add yourself as a friend.

Yeah you can, I created one, didn't invite anybody and started working on some games meeting the criteria. Seems to be working. Just takes a few minutes to update to the site.

Lazslo

What the what- Bungie got a new community guy? I guess he's taking Urk's position of not talking to the community while Urk is taking Sketch's position of breaking up the Public Relationship. Do we know this guy?

HIRE JUICES.
also
HALO 2 XBL
Believe.

Top Bottom