• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

OuterWorldVoice said:
We can travel faster than light, we can repair dents. Anyway, there will be more to say about this later, but it's spoiler-y, so we won't be discussing it for a bit.
Repairs are one thing, but physical alteration to armor implies a semi-intelligent sentience at work. Can't help but think of this:

fWxFh.jpg

StalkerUKCG said:
Not sure if serious, You know that you monitor isnt a pc right?. If you connect your xbox to your monitor you think your PC will just dump the image your monitor displays. Im more confused about how you even think this would be possible.
I was just trolling you guyz, calm down.

Havok

blamite said:
Arrrrgh I need Glasslands. Why am I so weak against the spoiler box?
If it makes you feel better, almost all of what's been posted has been very inconsequential. They're just neat teases to upcoming things.

Any info on Community Cartographers? one of Waipoint's member roles is CC so it pretty much confirms.

Homeboyd, Dani... anyone?

Edit: Pinnacle is bad, like really really bad! dat spawns.

Trasher

wwm0nkey said:
Not really, again its the year 2552 (well in this case 2553), if they didn't have that kind of tech I would question how they are able to travel via slipspace.
That's not even what I'm referring to really. It's more about it just seeming like they needed to find some sort of excuse to explain the redesign of MC's armor. At least they are taking the time to do that I guess. It's still a bit comical though if you think about it. All of this extra fiction in some book just so someone can point to it and say "see! That's why this is like this now!" I don't really care or mind all that much, and I'm not trying to put down 343 or anyone, it's just funny to me.

Obviously 343 wants to make Halo their own now, and rightfully so. It's their game, it's their future, and they gotta make a living doing it their way. It's gotta be annoying taking over a well-established franchise as big as Halo, and having to deal with all of those little details that you know are gonna be put under a microscope by all of the Dax's in the world. I wonder what it was like figuring out ownership of those small little things like Bungie's Marathon symbols being scattered throughout the previous games. Must of been fun for the legal teams!

Falt

Oh my...

Just finished New Alexandria LASO, all 90 minutes of it, and we didn't get the credits for the weekly. What gives?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Glasslands spoiler, again.

"Covenant" Ship AI

Gabotron ES said:
Any info on Community Cartographers? one of Waipoint's member roles is CC so it pretty much confirms.

Homeboyd, Dani... anyone?

Nothing official to announce... but... yeah, Heh. Got any cool Infection maps?

=)

Hypertrooper said:
Do you have kindle?
I used to, but after I added the Harry Potter series my grandmother took it to a book burning.

No, I've never had a Kindle. But my grandmother does hate Harry Potter. She likes Lord of the Rings though, oddly enough.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
That's not even what I'm referring to really. It's more about it just seeming like they needed to find some sort of excuse to explain the redesign of MC's armor. At least they are taking the time to do that I guess. It's still a bit comical though if you think about it. All of this extra fiction in some book just so someone can point to it and say "see! That's why this is like this now!" I don't really care or mind all that much, and I'm not trying to put down 343 or anyone, it's just funny to me.

Obviously 343 wants to make Halo their own now, and rightfully so. It's their game, it's their future, and they gotta make a living doing it their way. It's gotta be annoying taking over a well-established franchise as big as Halo, and having to deal with all of those little details that you know are gonna be put under a microscope by all of the Dax's in the world. I wonder what it was like figuring out ownership of those small little things like Bungie's Marathon symbols being scattered throughout the previous games. Must of been fun for the legal teams!

You mean there's more than 1 Dax out there?!?

ncsuDuncan said:
I used to, but after I added the Harry Potter series my grandmother took it to a book burning.

No, I've never had a Kindle. But my grandmother does hate Harry Potter. She likes Lord of the Rings though, oddly enough.
Kindle exists for your mind too.
and on your pc
. And I like your grandmother. I hate Harry Potter too. And like LotR.

Tashi0106 said:
You mean there's more than 1 Dax out there?!?
Just two.

Normal Dax and mirror universe Dax.

Evil-Dax has a Star Wars avatar and posted the first six Evil-Reach OTs.

There's no way to tell them apart though, we'll have to shoot both just to be sure.

...or is THIS the evil universe? Is there a Good-Reach out there we don't know about?

Slightly Live said:
Glasslands spoiler, again.

"Covenant" Ship AI

Nothing official to announce... but... yeah, Heh. Got any cool Infection maps?

=)
Lol not really xD

ncsuDuncan said:
...or is THIS the evil universe? Is there a Good-Reach out there we don't know about?
Yes, it's called Team Anniversary.

Trasher said:

"What the fuck did I do?"

Edit: No, but seriously, what do you mean by that?!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Just two.

There's no way to tell them apart though, we'll have to shoot both just to be sure.

Bungie buying out Microsoft.

Cocop and Voc having been arrested for copyright violations and never heard from again.

Frankie heading up the Uncharted franchise team.

Ghaleon controlling the purse strings of AMD and being the OT king of COD threads.

Tashi struggling to find fellow clan members for his Infection playlist clan, "AR Appreciation Society"

Me writing Zelda fan fiction.

Omlet getting a Sony tattoo.

Kyle being nice.

Slightly Live said:
Bungie buying out Microsoft.

Cocop and Voc having been arrested for copyright violations and never heard from again.

Frankie heading up the Uncharted franchise team.

Ghaleon controlling the purse strings of AMD and being the OT king of COD threads.

Tashi struggling to find fellow clan members for his Infection playlist clan, "AR Appreciation Society"

Me writing Zelda fan fiction.

Omlet getting a Sony tattoo.

Kyle being nice.

Hypertrooper loves grenades.

EazyB becomes a mod on GAF.

Louis Wu runs a Farmville fan site.

ncsuDuncan doesn't marry Scarlett Johansson.

Retro

ncsuDuncan said:

EazyB becomes a mod on GAF.

Louis Wu runs a Farmville fan site.

ncsuDuncan doesn't marry Scarlet Johansson.

People play Retro's forge maps, which are awesome. He also posts more than twice a month in the Halo thread.

ncsuDuncan said:
I can tell you, that such a parallel world would never exist.

Retro said:
People play Retro's forge maps, which are awesome. He also posts more than twice a month in the Halo thread.
Fortunately there would be custom games in the parallel world. :)

Btw. Frankie or David: Any possibility to get a high res version of my avatar. I can't live with the ugly shit since I saw the Battlefield 3 HD texture pack. :/

Tashi

ncsuDuncan said:
Just two.

I laughed until I got to the last one. Not cool bro

Tashi

ncsuDuncan said:
That sounds like something Evil-Tashi would say.

You don't happen to have a goatee, do you?
Hey fuck you asshole I'm nice! See??!! I'm a nice person!!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm really liking Glasslands. It's the complete opposite of Cryptum' slow-burning, heavily-descriptive style, but that's fine. Both are good styles given the context of the story they're dealing with.

I LOVE
the Arbiter-centric
chapters in Glasslands. So good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Havok said:
Another minor (?) semi-throwaway Glasslands line tying into a certain question from a teaser trailer:
MJOLNIR upgrades itself during cryo via nanotech. Crotchless Chief vindicated.
syJsd.gif

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

Domino Theory said:
I'm really liking Glasslands. It's the complete opposite of Cryptum' slow-burner, heavily-descriptive style, but that's fine. Both are good styles given the context of the story they're dealing with.

I LOVE
the Arbiter-centric
chapters in Glasslands. So good.
I'm reading it right now via kindle. And I love her writing style. But otherwise I love kindle. Damn makes reading so easy. :)

I've been out of the Halo Novel scene since...well, the first four books. I bought Contact Harvest but never read it!

So now we have:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
Cryptum
Glasslands

I have 4 books to read. Fuck. Are any of the last four books linked together at all, or can I just pick one at random and start reading?

Hypertrooper said:
I'm reading it right now via kindle. And I love her writing style. But otherwise I love kindle. Damn makes reading so easy. :)

I've almost pulled the trigger on getting a kindle several times lately.

WANT.

Hey You said:
I will, gotta get some test sessions together soon.

Your avatar is winning, all others are not.

Got a question since its kinda spoilery im going to tag it all.

Mark V MJOLNIR was issued to Spartans in November 2551, Mark VI was issued to chief aboard Cairo station in October 2552 11 months after Mark V. An 11 month development period seems awfully short for a whole overhaul of the systems. He keeps this armor until some point between November 2552 and Halo 4. During his stay in cryo aboard half of the Forward Unto Dawn NanoTech Built into the suit radically changes the armor into Mark VII? Halsey journal that accompanies reach has notes about Mark VII

Next-gen fusion-plasma hybrid power system.
Atmospheric insertion systems.
Slipspace de-insertion capability.
Active AI transfer protocols.
Limited shaping of the energy shield (partial overlaps, airfoils etc.).

My point is if the nanomachines could build Mark VII and the Nanomachines have been in the suit since it "just came up from Seongnam this morning" in October 2552 why was Mark VI issued instead of the nanomachine constructed Mark VII.

It also imply's that within a 11 month period the MJOLNIR armor went threw 3 Major redesigns, however between 2512 and 2552 (40 years) there was only 4 (5 if you include the "Black" skunkworks variant)

Ajemsuhgao said:
I've been out of the Halo Novel scene since...well, the first four books. I bought Contact Harvest but never read it!

So now we have:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
Cryptum
Glasslands

I have 4 books to read. Fuck. Are any of the last four books linked together at all, or can I just pick one at random and start reading?
You can skip Contact Harvest and The Cole Protocol. Okay. especially skip TCP. It's boring as hell. Contact Harvest good, but you don't need it to understand Glasslands. The only book you need to understand Glasslands is Ghost Of Onxy. In addition I would recommend you to see the Halo 3 terminals again, before reading Cryptum.

Steelyuhas said:
I've almost pulled the trigger on getting a kindle several times lately.

WANT.

Your avatar is winning, all others are not.
I ain't talking about a Kindle device. I'm talking about the program kindle. It is really awesome. Especially because of the in-built english dictionary. Just right-click at a word I don't understand, and I'll get a explanation for it. Makes reading for me as a non-native english speaker very easy.

Havok

Ajemsuhgao said:

So now we have:

The Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Contact Harvest
The Cole Protocol
Cryptum
Glasslands

Glasslands is a fairly direct sequel to Ghosts of Onyx. Cryptum is a great standalone read, and I recommend it, especially with its sequel Primordium coming up.

Actively disliked the Cole Protocol, and Contact Harvest is okay.

I had no idea Glasslands was a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx. That's awesome! GoO was my favorite book, next to TFoR. I'll have to grab that then. Thanks guys.

Hypertrooper said:
I ain't talking about a Kindle device. I'm talking about the program kindle. It is really awesome. Especially because of the in-built english dictionary. Just right-click at a word I don't understand, and I'll get a explanation for it. Makes reading for me as a non-native english speaker very easy.

Do you just read them on your computer?

I still want the hardware.

Steelyuhas said:
Do you just read them on your computer?

I still want the hardware.
Yep. I'm reading it on my computer. But if I have to go to an appointment, I can/could continue reading on my Windows Phone 7 with the kindle app. It even saves the last page I read. And yeah Kindle Wildfire looks awesome.

Tha Robbertster said:
Waiting for this book till christmas will be sooo hard =(
Why do you have to wait till christmas?

Top Bottom