• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff

Fingers crossed that 343 can give us some quality NEW maps that don't pretend to work for every gametype.

"Terminal and Turf were cut for consideration for the anniversary map pack because we needed maps that worked for multiple gametypes"

Demands of HD game + limited manpower = very hard environment for single-use maps to survive in.

I play a lot of Invasion because it's the only playlist that's fun to play without a party, but it has a lot of gamebreaking flaws that were never fixed and never will get fixed

Elites spawning with basically no weapons the first round
Loadouts - Every third round literally becomes swords vs shotguns
Overabundance of power weapons
2 maps (breakpoint doesn't show up)
banshee respawning after 30 seconds
Invasion slayer being absurdly unbalanced
Spire is literally a fight for the banshee

Invasion was never adjusted at all. Bungie should have released Invasion Pro, Spartans only, DMRS/Spint only. Oh well.

Wouln't `Invasion Pro` basically boil down to something like UT99's assault mode? I wouldn't mind that at all, but I kind of like having an asymmetrical team gametype in halo.

"Terminal and Turf were cut for consideration for the anniversary map pack because we needed maps that worked for multiple gametypes"

Demands of HD game + limited manpower = very hard environment for single-use maps to survive in.
Turf and Terminal were designed for specific gametypes in mind but that doesn't mean they were unsuited for gametypes like Slayer. Hell, slayer can work on just about every map if you alter the weapon spawns and such. Right out of the gate they're already good for two gametypes. With that mindset it could be more likely than you're thinking. I dunno. I don't know anything about game development.

I remember that quote, and I would argue that both of those maps could easily fit into the Headlong category of maps that shine at a specific gametype but still play well with just about all others (edit:dammit Dax), unlike most of Reach's default fare. I'm certainly not advocating single-use maps, I guess what I'm saying is I would like a better approach to Halo 4's map design; one that didn't approach every map with "let's make it adequate for every gametype" and end up just being a bland, forgettable thing like Swordbase that's good for nothing.

FyreWulff

Turf and Terminal were designed for specific gametypes in mind but that doesn't mean they were unsuited for gametypes like Slayer. Hell, slayer can work on just about every map if you alter the weapon spawns and such. Right out of the gate they're already good for two gametypes. With that mindset it could be more likely than you're thinking. I dunno. I don't know anything about game development.

Turf worked for Slayer.

Terminal was ehh. Lots of hiding.

Headlong is crap for Slayer.

The thing about symmetrical OSFA maps is that if 2 flag works on it, 1 flag automatically works on it. Two gametypes for the price of one. Look at how successful Gears is. Literally every single map in that game is "make half the map, mirror for other half". I would like to see more gametype-specific maps but with the time limits of shipping for disc in the HD era and trying to justify to players why they should buy your DLC pack, they become an even harder sell.

I don't agree with this. There is big difference between a map designed for Slayer, Objective or Objective/Slayer. If a map is designed for One-Bomb/CTF Gametypes, one slayer team will always have a disadvantage. You can't fix that with "alter the weapon spawns and such." Do you think Breakpoint, Boneyard or Spire are fun to play in a Slayer gametype? No. The best thing is if the map is designed for both, Slayer and Objective.

I don't agree with this. There is big difference between a map designed for Slayer, Objective or Objective/Slayer. If a map is designed for One-Bomb/CTF Gametypes, one slayer team will always have a disadvantage. You can't fix that with "alter the weapon spawns and such." Do you think Breakpoint, Boneyard or Spire are fun to play in a Slayer gametype? No. The best thing is if the map is designed for both, Slayer and Objective.
Breakpoint would work well for Slayer if you blocked off the first half of the map and kept people from the mountain pass.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The fighting game community has beef with MLG that goes way back. Apparently MLG sponsored an EVO and some players never got paid. Sundance did an interview about it and challenged those supposedly never got paid to come out with proof and he'll pay them. I never saw any players come out.

Also, the fighting game community can be so great and so frustrating at the same time. They want to maintain the underground scene but I feel like they pass up on opportunities to expand. I think a lot of them think MLG will ruin the smaller events but I don't see it. I see it adding to the scene.

Also, this Halo vs SC2 thing goes both ways. I've heard Halo players bitter that Halo isn't top dog anymore. Hating on SC2 out of jealousy. But I've also heard SC2 fans talking shit to Halo fans because they're number 1 now.

I love Halo, SC2 and fighters so I want to see them do well.

Karl2177

I play a lot of Invasion because it's the only playlist that's fun to play without a party, but it has a lot of gamebreaking flaws that were never fixed and never will get fixed

Elites spawning with basically no weapons the first round
Loadouts - Every third round literally becomes swords vs shotguns
Overabundance of power weapons
2 maps (breakpoint doesn't show up)
banshee respawning after 30 seconds
Invasion slayer being absurdly unbalanced
Spire is literally a fight for the banshee

Invasion was never adjusted at all. Bungie should have released Invasion Pro, Spartans only, DMRS/Spint only. Oh well.

Dang. This makes me want to see Spartan vs. Spartan Invasion.

SvE slayer from the beta, make it return.

So, to further complicate my wishlist

Halo 4

Normal - $60
Heroic - $90 (Art book, Making-of DVD, Season Pass)
Legendary - $120 (Heroic extras, plus a Master Chief statue and a Nylund novella)

Disc 1 - Campaign, Firefight (8 maps), Theater
Disc 2 - Multiplayer, Forge, Theater

Maps: (no full remakes, just spirtual ones)

Small (2v2 - 4v4)
2 symmetrical arena (midship, warlock)
2 symmetrical 2-base (beaver creek, sanctuary)
1 asymmetrical slayer (lockout)

Medium (4v4 - 6v6)
1 symmetrical arena (the pit)
1 asymmetrical slayer (ivory tower)
2 1-sided objective (zanzibar, high ground)

Large (6v6 - 8v8)
2 symmetrical 2-base (valhalla, avalanche)
2 1-sided objective (headlong, relic)

That's 13 maps, not counting Firefight. If there is still Invasion, it would be carved out of the BTB maps.

I hope Forge is more of a full level editor this time, but if not then add two unique Forge World canvases and bring it up to 15. Don't try to shoehorn a premade map onto them like Pinnacle and Hemorrhage, just build versatile peices first and later make an example map.

Halo 4 Season Pass - Four DLC packs for $30 ($10 each if purchased separately)

(S - Small, M - Medium, L - Large)

3 competitive maps (S, M, L)
3 competitive maps (S, M, M) + 1 Firefight map
3 competitive maps (M, M, L)
3 competitive maps (S, S, L) + 1 Firefight map

Then later on:

Halo 4: ODST $40
Disc 1 - Campaign expansion, slightly smaller than ODST. A sidestory that bridges Halo 4 and 5. New terminals. The 2 DLC firefight maps, plus 4 new maps. Original 8 not included.
Disc 2 - Halo 4 multiplayer with all of the disc maps, DLC maps, and 3 new ones (S, M, L).

Last two map packs:
A - The 3 competitive maps from H4:ODST ($10 - Not part of the season pass.)
B - The 4 firefight maps from H4:ODST ($10 - Not part of the season pass.)

Final Count:
14 Firefight

10 Small
10 Medium
8 Large
(So 28 not counting any Forge canvases.)

Come at me bros.

daedalius

The fighting game community has beef with MLG that goes way back. Apparently MLG sponsored an EVO and some players never got paid. Sundance did an interview about it and challenged those supposedly never got paid to come out with proof and he'll pay them. I never saw any players come out.

Also, the fighting game community can be so great and so frustrating at the same time. They want to maintain the underground scene but I feel like they pass up on opportunities to expand. I think a lot of them think MLG will ruin the smaller events but I don't see it. I see it adding to the scene.

Also, this Halo vs SC2 thing goes both ways. I've heard Halo players bitter that Halo isn't top dog anymore. Hating on SC2 out of jealousy. But I've also heard SC2 fans talking shit to Halo fans because they're number 1 now.

This sounds far too reasonable.

You must pick a side, and let the anger grow within you!

Also, my 150lb stereo system for my tv has arrived, pics soon.

Havok

On the flip side, maps like Zanzibar and Terminal were fine for Slayer (I thought Turf was rad for anything, they made a real gem there). They were no Midship, but they also weren't insultingly bad like Boneyard Slayer is. The key is giving the team that spawns in the attacking base enough tools to still be as defensible as the team that spawns in the defending base. The difference is that Boneyard and Spire are garbage maps, and Breakpoint is a pretty mediocre jack-of-all-trades attempt. It can be done well, but it hasn't been common lately.

Definitely is on both sides. So ridiculous.

Tawpgun

Would it be entirely out of the question to release every damn Halo map ever made. Bump textures to HD. Not even if that's too much work.

Would it be too much to do that for Halo 4? Make new maps, play on not as pretty old ones?

Disc space problem? No problem, make the DLC. Free with pre-order or launch games or some shit. Or sell them for sub $15 (but free is better)

Or will this break the immersion and continuity of multiplayer? Playing on last gen maps built with old tech etc. Because its multiplayer, no one cares about all that fluff in multiplayer.

Ken

Would it be entirely out of the question to release every damn Halo map ever made. Bump textures to HD. Not even if that's too much work.

Probably doable, but given that not all the maps were well-received or memorable, remaking every map just to do it would probably end up a waste of time and resources.

The jetpacking under the map reminds me that I want a map based on Shattered Horizon's space combat.

Would it be too much to do that for Halo 4? Make new maps, play on not as pretty old ones?

Disc space problem? No problem, make the DLC. Free with pre-order or launch games or some shit. Or sell them for sub $15 (but free is better)

Or will this break the immersion and continuity of multiplayer? Playing on last gen maps built with old tech etc. Because its multiplayer, no one cares about all that fluff in multiplayer.
It isn't as simple as importing the old map file into the new engine. There's a lot of overhead work that has to be done on every map.

Work saved by remaking old maps with shitty graphics:
- Art design
- Level design

Work still required:
- Playtesting
- Bug fixing
- Console certification
- Stats/backend server stuff
- Marketing

If you're going through all that trouble you might as well just put in the extra art design work and put out a more appealing product.

You have to consider that consumers will be less likely to buy a remade map with ugly old graphics than a shiny new remake. I know it sounds crazy, but some people actually make their DLC purchase decision based on how pretty the new maps look, even if only at a subconscious level.

monome

the fuck with reused maps!
Do you guys want a 6 hour long game and some shitty maps ala Reach?

I'd rather have 12 hours of single player time and fewer but distinct maps. Reach's package and management has burned me on map packs.
It's not 2005 anymore, all of the big franchises have MP and some have valid ones. Am I expected to just play Halo, really?
Then, if not, why should i bother with gazillions of options rather than just be offered stuff that matters, stuff that bears a distinctive signature and makes me want to come back or buy some more?

FyreWulff

lol is that you who gave yourself the Community Cartographer title?

They actually had [COMMUNITY CARTOGRAPHER] next to my name on r/halo but they redid all their css and it's gone. And it looked stupid that there was FyreWulff [FyreWulff] above posts so I changed my flair to Community Cartographer. Because I do most of my postin' there collecting maps.

Each time things change around I get people thinking that I'm like, stealing maps or something. Either way, thanks for that clip, I'll add that to my report when I wake up tonight because hopefully by then the Waypoint forums will be working.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I can't tell what is going on in RTS games as a spectator sport. I can tell something amazing is happening, but not what. FPS and fighting games are more entertaining to watch as a spectator, IMO, but that's a personal preference.

daedalius

Zing!

2z8xq3b.jpg

wwm0nkey

I can't tell what is going on in RTS games as a spectator sport. I can tell something amazing is happening, but not what. FPS and fighting games are more entertaining to watch as a spectator, IMO, but that's a personal preference.

Fighting games, FPS games and DOTA are the only things I can follow, tried watching Starcraft 2 but my mind melted.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yep. I love watching all of it. EVO is fun (stop me from buying an arcade stick), GSL is fun (HotS pre-ordered!), and...well, actually, I don't find any of the FPS games on MLG right now fun to watch, but I like watching competitive FPS as well.

As for SC2 being difficult to watch, well, it is, if you've never played it. Once you play the campaign or the challenges, and understand what the unit purposes are, you'll start to see the big picture, the changes the players are making to their resource gathering in order to counter what they think their opponent is doing. I think the commentators do a great job explaining what's happening though, they're a tier above anything the other genres offer.

The jetpacking under the map reminds me that I want a map based on Shattered Horizon's space combat.
What a wasted opportunity that game was.

I would imagine that remaking maps in the new engine would still be a considerable amount of work.

I am curious though as to the time split between designing a map, putting together the assets for it, actually building it, then play testing it.

Ken

Yep. I love watching all of it. EVO is fun, GSL is fun, and...well, actually, I don't find any of the FPS games on MLG right now fun to watch, but I like watching competitive FPS as well.

As for SC2 being difficult to watch, well, it is, if you've never played it. Once you play the campaign or the challenges, and understand what the unit purposes are, you'll start to see the big picture, the changes the players are making to their resource gathering in order to counter what they think their opponent is doing. I think the commentators do a great job explaining what's happening though, they're a tier above anything the other genres offer.

Out of those three genres, I find that I enjoy fighting game commentary the most enjoyable, but probably because it's the most humorous and relaxed.

ee6db636.png

MLG Halo commentary comes off as a little boring. Informative, maybe, but I never found it really enjoyable. The few streams of SC2 commentary I've seen definitely seem to be great in the quality of information and what's going on on screen, but it does require a little more knowledge of the game than fighters and FPS.

the fuck with reused maps!
Do you guys want a 6 hour long game and some shitty maps ala Reach?

I'd rather have 12 hours of single player time and fewer but distinct maps. Reach's package and management has burned me on map packs.
It's not 2005 anymore, all of the big franchises have MP and some have valid ones. Am I expected to just play Halo, really?
Then, if not, why should i bother with gazillions of options rather than just be offered stuff that matters, stuff that bears a distinctive signature and makes me want to come back or buy some more?

What do reused maps have to do with a 6 hour game and shitty maps? If they are reusing old maps, chances are they are maps that the community loves.

99% of Halogaf has put in significantly more time into MP than SP, which is why people would rather there be a focus on the MP sandbox and its maps than a SP campaign.

One thing (not sure if it was the community, or Bungie) that I'm sad to not see pan out was carved out versions of the Invasion maps being used for other playlists. I know a few people on GAF, HBO, etc have made these, but either the work on them peters out or nobody wants to test them.

I'm still disappointed that Headlong didn't have official support for Invasion, since having access to be able to actually do animations and stuff would have added a pretty nice layer of immersion.

It'd make my day to see something like an Invasion Map Pack, since Breakpoint shows that a map made specifically for Invasion (with the rest of the game as a known factor) can be an awesome experience. I'd also expect that map pack to be set up for carve outs for other playlists. It'd probably would help if Invasion could have a Slayer phase.

Interestingly a problem with the Invasion maps in BTB is all the dead and unused space which is only really used in the Invasion gametype. I say interesting since Halo 2 was supposed to have Invasion, and so was 3, and Last Resort has a bunch of dead area on the beach and Sandtrap has a bunch of dead area as well in normal gameplay. Both were Invasion maps. Perhaps any Invasion maps should have big Forge buildings (not basic shapes, but actual buildings) that they can place for normal gameplay to make that part of the map interesting.

What it kind of boils down to is that Invasion is an Asymmetric Map on Steroids, where the developers and the community want maps more capable of supporting most other gametypes. The problem comes from trying to play symmetric modes on them. You wouldn't try to play 2 Flag on Zanzibar or High Ground, so gametypes like Stockpile on Spire are just headscratchers. It also doesn't help that some of the 1 Flag and 1 Bomb setups are just weird (Spire would seem to make more sense on the first phase area instead of that weird sideways setup in the second phase, and Breakpoint's setup is just wtf for 1 Flag and Bomb, and let's not even talk about Boneyard's 1 Flag/1 Bomb setup).

tl;dr Make Invasion map, then do a Certain Affinity and make extensive Forge capabilities to turn it into a normal BTB map (blocking away dead areas, etc)

Agreed. It was amazing to see Breakpoint as I realized that the Invasion gametype was actually pretty decent (still has some definite issues), but just that Boneyard and Spire are terrible. I find Invasion to be a ton of fun on Breakpoint.

Another thing is to have maps like Headlong that obviously work well as an assym BTB map and an Invasion map.

I definitely feel that designing a map for a certain gametype is the way to go. Just look at the maps we have. Maps that are clearly designed for a gametype seem to be almost universally better maps for not only that gametype, but several others as well instead of these maps that they try to design for every gametype and they end up not working very well for any of them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Out of those three genres, I find that I enjoy fighting game commentary the most enjoyable, but probably because it's the most humorous and relaxed.

ee6db636.png

MLG Halo commentary comes off as a little boring. Informative, maybe, but I never found it really enjoyable. The few streams of SC2 commentary I've seen definitely seem to be great in the quality of information and what's going on on screen, but it does require a little more knowledge of the game than fighters and FPS.

I love James Chen, <3 Cammy. My problem with the fighting game commentary is the slang. There's a lot of like, inside jokes and stuff that I just don't know what it means. Also, frame data talk is boring as shit. The games themselves are easy to follow. Halo commentary is ok but it's obvious that the game needs help to make it an easier spectator sport. It's hard to follow 8 screens at a time and you always see commentators missing big plays and tripping over their words. I do love the Astro Listen in though, StarCraft 2 commentating is probably the funniest. I've only recently gotten into it but watching GSL and NASL was a pleasure. Day9 and his brother are pretty damn funny and entertaining.

daedalius

I'll snap another, better, picture after I manage to get it all hooked up.

Still waiting on a shelf for above the TV tho, xbox should look pretty cool up there with the center and stuff.

In an RTS an observer has a much easier time focusing in on a big battle happening, there is usually significant build-up as 2 armies approach, giving them observer ample time to be in prime position. Halo, or an fps really, has a harder time because you and your team are likely to all be moving around the map, having small battles yourselves.

I enjoy FPS more than RTS, but an RTS with a good observer and good commentary is a lot easier to watch.

I definitely feel that designing a map for a certain gametype is the way to go. Just look at the maps we have. Maps that are clearly designed for a gametype seem to be almost universally better maps for not only that gametype, but several others as well instead of these maps that they try to design for every gametype and they end up not working very well for any of them.
I think in this way it's why Halo 2's matchmaking experience was, on the whole, better than 3's or Reach's because if you design a map around a gametype, you're going to feature that map in matchmaking with that gametype almost all the time. Less headaches in trying to figure out how much weight to give to individual gametypes for each map.

Edit:

It's like:

"Eh. Don't know how much weight I should give to Sandtrap Slayer over Sandtrap CTF...." Whereas for Terminal it'd be more like, "Okay, Terminal CTF is to be weighted far more than Terminal Slayer."

I think the commentators do a great job explaining what's happening though, they're a tier above anything the other genres offer.
It's weird, could be just the people I've been around, but they have been more willing to watch commentated Starcraft more than Reach/SF4.

SC2 is way more of a spectator sport in my experience.

ElRenoRaven

So, to further complicate my wishlist

Halo 4

Normal - $60
Heroic - $90 (Art book, Making-of DVD, Season Pass)
Legendary - $120 (Heroic extras, plus a Master Chief statue and a Nylund novella)

Disc 1 - Campaign, Firefight (8 maps), Theater
Disc 2 - Multiplayer, Forge, Theater

Maps: (no full remakes, just spirtual ones)

Small (2v2 - 4v4)
2 symmetrical arena (midship, warlock)
2 symmetrical 2-base (beaver creek, sanctuary)
1 asymmetrical slayer (lockout)

Medium (4v4 - 6v6)
1 symmetrical arena (the pit)
1 asymmetrical slayer (ivory tower)
2 1-sided objective (zanzibar, high ground)

Large (6v6 - 8v8)
2 symmetrical 2-base (valhalla, avalanche)
2 1-sided objective (headlong, relic)

That's 13 maps, not counting Firefight. If there is still Invasion, it would be carved out of the BTB maps.

I hope Forge is more of a full level editor this time, but if not then add two unique Forge World canvases and bring it up to 15. Don't try to shoehorn a premade map onto them like Pinnacle and Hemorrhage, just build versatile peices first and later make an example map.

Halo 4 Season Pass - Four DLC packs for $30 ($10 each if purchased separately)

(S - Small, M - Medium, L - Large)

3 competitive maps (S, M, L)
3 competitive maps (S, M, M) + 1 Firefight map
3 competitive maps (M, M, L)
3 competitive maps (S, S, L) + 1 Firefight map

Then later on:

Halo 4: ODST $40
Disc 1 - Campaign expansion, slightly smaller than ODST. A sidestory that bridges Halo 4 and 5. New terminals. The 2 DLC firefight maps, plus 4 new maps. Original 8 not included.
Disc 2 - Halo 4 multiplayer with all of the disc maps, DLC maps, and 3 new ones (S, M, L).

Last two map packs:
A - The 3 competitive maps from H4:ODST ($10 - Not part of the season pass.)
B - The 4 firefight maps from H4:ODST ($10 - Not part of the season pass.)

Final Count:
14 Firefight

10 Small
10 Medium
8 Large
(So 28 not counting any Forge canvases.)

Come at me bros.

Now see that I can get behind. Season passes I'm fine with. Those just let you preorder your dlc if you will for less while lettting you buy it all separately if you want also.

I think in this way it's why Halo 2's matchmaking experience was, on the whole, better than 3's or Reach's because if you design a map around a gametype, you're going to feature that map in matchmaking with that gametype almost all the time. Less headaches in trying to figure out how much weight to give to individual gametypes for each map.

Edit:

It's like:

"Eh. Don't know how much weight I should give to Sandtrap Slayer over Sandtrap CTF...." Whereas for Terminal it'd be more like, "Okay, Terminal CTF is to be weighted far more than Terminal Slayer."

Agreed completely. Hopefully 343 is doing this for Halo 4.

Havok

Now see that I can get behind. Season passes I'm fine with. Those just let you preorder your dlc if you will for less while lettting you buy it all separately if you want also.
More importantly, a season pass is a guarantee of support. Most publishers will let you know up front how much content you're actually paying for - the Forza pack was revealed to be six add-ons, the Gears 3 pack was for the first four DLC packs, etc. Compare that to Reach. We have no idea what the plans for support are, and never have. It's nice to know something else is coming.

I'm gonna get Halo Glasslands tonight for Sinterklaas, really hyped for reading it tonight.

So since today is Sinterklaas' birthday, does anyone want a female masterchief avatar code?

What I like about Season Passes is that is should increase the number of players that have all of the DLC. This might make playlist management a little easier, since you could divide the population into two categories:

No DLC
All DLC

Game launches - No launch DLC = Everyone on the same level, all playlists are free.

DLC-1 Launches
- No DLC required.
- DLC-1 required.
-- You can pay $30 to get it, and the next 3 packs.
-- You can pay $10.

DLC-2 Launches
- No DLC required.
- DLC-1 and DLC-2 required.
-- You can pay $30 to get both and the next 2 packs.
-- You can pay $10 if you already have DLC-1.
-- You can pay $20.

DLC-3 Launches
- No DLC required
- DLC-1, DLC-2, DLC-3 required.
-- You can pay $30 to get both and the next 1 pack.
-- You can pay $10 if you already have DLC-1 and DLC 2.
-- You can pay $20. if you already have DLC-1.

And so on. You'd never have to pay more than $30 to catch up.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not the best idea. There should be some sort of middle ground playlist that only requires the previously release DLC (i.e. all but the latest one). The point is that the Season Pass should be available even after the DLC has been released, to make it easier for people to catch up.

I'm gonna get Halo Glasslands tonight for Sinterklaas, really hyped for reading it tonight.

So since today is Sinterklaas' birthday, does anyone want a female masterchief avatar code?
For people who doesn't know what Sinterklaars is. You know maybe a similar guy with the name Santa Claus.

----

343i does create some awesome t-shirts and hoodies. :( Why not selling them? Because this one looks sexy too. Does Microsoft forbid them to open a shop? :(

I think SC2 as a spectator has a bit of a learning curve where you don't exactly enjoy it at first but soon you figure things out and it gets really interesting to watch. The finals and grandfinals of the last MLG event were so insane. You realize how tight their timing's and attacks are, its pretty incredible to me how tight the game is played already compared to how short its been out.

/crappy sc player rant.

I read sinterklass brings all his toys on a tugboat or something. i think it was on those channels that play music i was listening to the christmas one.

I dunno the logistics just don't add up to me.

monome

What do reused maps have to do with a 6 hour game and shitty maps? If they are reusing old maps, chances are they are maps that the community loves.

99% of Halogaf has put in significantly more time into MP than SP, which is why people would rather there be a focus on the MP sandbox and its maps than a SP campaign.

No relationships between SP time and reused maps, just poor editing from me.

As for MP time, I can't see why a few good maps can't be enough.
I'm making two cases :

1/ i want some quality time with SP, even though it cuts on MP, since MP will get all the DLC.
2/ I play several MP games, like many from Halogaf I suppose, and even if Halo is my go-to choice, I 'll gladly swap a few maps and playlists in order to get a consistent community of people who can play well and know the maps, rather than a smargsboard of maps and playlists barely populated.

If every game comes with MP, why do developpers believe I'll be just playing their game?
Choice matters, and the choices offered to me should to.
If getting MP into your game is a matter of : Hey! see that man my MP 's got everything you need. then I feel I'm buying crack.

As for MP being the main reason, it's a personal matter and halo plays fucking great, but to me the story and designed encounters with AI do matter as much as MP, although I understand that in play time it will remain the cherry on the top.

MP maps to campaign and vice-versa didn't work for me too. That's why I'm arguing that I'm ok with less as long as it's good.

When it comes to MP maps, let's not forget that 343 should learn from Bungie's mistake and not try to integrate MP maps into campaign and vice-versa.

daedalius

When it comes to MP maps, let's not forget that 343 should learn from Bungie's mistake and not try to integrate MP maps into campaign and vice-versa.

Agree, this is pretty much totally unnecessary.

Boneyard and Spire are like the worst BTB maps ever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nobody should ever do this and it's absolutely shameful Bungie copped out of actual map design by doing it.

Top Bottom