• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Live's working again now after it gave me an option to accept new terms.

Yep, same here.

I assume the new terms of service allow Microsoft to take funny pictures of me with Kinect, then later blackmail me into buying DLC. Pretty sure that was somewhere in the fine print.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
tej90ti.jpg

Look at this fucking Banner letters made me and tell me that's not the sickest thing you've ever seen. I love it.

monome

Halo is the exclusive franchise that sells XBOXs, so Superbowl or Man-landing but MS will want peopole to know.
As regards to fans a little something for Christmas is necessary! I want video!! Then I can read Primordium with my belly full of hot chocolate.

Primordium...so pumped! I remember the old days waiting for the second star wars book by Timothy Zahn.

Tunavi

Banned
Super Bowl ads cost around $2 million for 30 seconds. I don't see this happening, nor do I really want it to.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome. But not worth the money

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Super Bowl ads cost around $2 million for 30 seconds. I don't see this happening, nor do I really want it to.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome. But not worth the money

Get out of here with that shit. We need a marketing blitz (lolz) like we have never seen before. Everywhere I go I wanna see Halo 4. Billboards, trainstations, magazines, TV (every fuckin channel) I wanna see it when I'm taking a fuckin shit.

FyreWulff

My Xbox FINALLY decided to accept the new TOS. Good thing I did that weekly as fast as possible, otherwise I would have been backlogged to hell.

monome

If Halo 4 does that shit instead of just hiring more people I will write an angry post on GAF about it.

Be fucking warned.

Well, it's bit of both. MS needs the game to be good, but it needs it to sell too.

I'd rather have a good little short film, rather than an hyper kinetic montage with stuff flashing.

Tunavi

Banned
Well the VGAs get around 600k views, anything else that would be good to show it at with more viewers? Serious question.
Is ~110 million viewers of a 30 second ad worth ~2 million?
Of the 110 million, how many of them play video games?

The game doesn't come out for another 9 months. It would be more effective if H4 came out in March, but 9 months would be too long for most people

Is ~110 million viewers of a 30 second ad worth ~2 million?
Of the 110 million, how many of them play video games?

Number of video game players watching Super Bowl > number of Madonna fans watching Super Bowl.

I'm with Tashi. I want Halo 4 ads to be broadcast directly into people's dreams.

monome

I don't care about Superbowl ads.
And having the TRON 2.0 direct the CG reveal is too much for me already.

But if MS does not promote HALO as big guy with big guns, the franchise risks being seen as more niche than it needs to be to survive.

FyreWulff

Oh man, playing Anniversary co-op and the realities just split.

Co-op buddy sees me walking off a corner, I see him in a hog.

Turns out at some point the universes split. On my box I get in the scorpion and drive it across the bridge. On his box the scorpion is empty and I'm in the corner still walking into it.

Then it gets better.. both of us die (on my box) and I revert to the previous checkpoint.. he doesn't. So now his ghost and I are halfway back across the level, while on his box he's past the bridges. He's in a

Campaignnotsetupfornetworking.jpg

edit: he's in a hog in his reality, and pressing the trigger makes his spartan in my reality fire his AR :lol

edit2: my current solution was to get him to hold his action button and get on my scorpion in my reality so I could protect his ghost :lol

Oh man, playing Anniversary co-op and the realities just split.

Co-op buddy sees me walking off a corner, I see him in a hog.

Turns out at some point the universes split. On my box I get in the scorpion and drive it across the bridge. On his box the scorpion is empty and I'm in the corner still walking into it.

Then it gets better.. both of us die (on my box) and I revert to the previous checkpoint.. he doesn't. So now his ghost and I are halfway back across the level, while on his box he's past the bridges. He's in a

Campaignnotsetupfornetworking.jpg

edit: he's in a hog in his reality, and pressing the trigger makes his spartan in my reality fire his AR :lol

edit2: my current solution was to get him to hold his action button and get on my scorpion in my reality so I could protect his ghost :lol

Dat multiverse.jpg

FyreWulff

Dat multiverse.jpg

Yeah, I started up my stream so he could play via it. In his universe he's stuck in a hog in the tunnel system with the AI stuck in the warthog as well.

I'm hoping when I get to an actual load transition it'll fix the sync.. but reverting to checkpoint does nothing.

monome

Yeah, I started up my stream so he could play via it. In his universe he's stuck in a hog in the tunnel system with the AI stuck in the warthog as well.

I'm hoping when I get to an actual load transition it'll fix the sync.. but reverting to checkpoint does nothing.

the shit is sweet, for like 10 minutes.

Anybody wants some co-op with me? gamertag is monome

I play around 9pm UTC/GMT

I honestly dont think Halo 4's problem is a lack of interest. A marketing blitz is less nessicary than just having good gameplay. With good gameplay player retention will be higher and player recommendation will get more people in. Halo Reach still had a strong initial sales figure, its over time that the population dropped off.

Put the 2 million into making the gameplay fun please. I dont want to see superbowl ad's and then hear how there was a lack of resources to impliment certain features. Marketing is expensive enough as it is, im just hoping for some more awesome live action trailers.

monome

I honestly dont think Halo 4's problem is a lack of interest. A marketing blitz is less nessicary than just having good gameplay. With good gameplay player retention will be higher and player recommendation will get more people in. Halo Reach still had a strong initial sales figure, its over time that the population dropped off.

Put the 2 million into making the gameplay fun please. I dont want to see superbowl ad's and then hear how there was a lack of resources to impliment certain features. Marketing is expensive enough as it is, im just hoping for some more awesome live action trailers.

Yep, I'm amazed kids rather play COD than HALO, it really is a case of prefering a Big Mac to a finely grilled organic steak. But Bungie served its steak with a not so memorable side dish, and 343i peppering is just damage control.

EDIT : as fas as marketing goes, I'd rather see 343i invests in products rather than ad space. Whenever 343i makes a book, toy, DVD etc... they get support from distributors and we get something to play with.
I don't see Halo 4 very human oriented, so an ODST/REACH live action thingy may not happen until HALO 5. That said the quality of the CG reveal was good enough to ask for more.

TheOddOne

To be totally fair in position of 343 Industries, I think they know that and take these concerns to heart. Look at all the multiplayer stuff they have been doing for Reach, normal developers would no go that far or even invest that much in their audience. While you could debate that not all of 343 enhancement, fixes, patches etc. have been great successes, atleast they are concerned with adressing those issues.

Halo 4, by the time of release, will be 4 years in development. That sounds like enough time to nail down the gameplay, sound, graphics etc. If Microsoft can go out, hire the the best-of-the-best in the industry, create a whole internal studio and announce a three part trilogy I doubt they will cheap-out on the games budgets. That ofcourse is an outsiders perspective, but I rather put a little faith in 343 Industries before the release of Halo 4. If it is shit, then I'll be in the same boat as you.

FyreWulff

Yeah, Reach's perceived population issues are due to the gameplay.. this is why the TU Beta list and the MLG playlist with the superior Feels Like Halo Again Settings have over 50% of the online population at any moment.

Top Bottom