• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Ramirez

You would think the lack of a good jump in Reach would have washed that terrible control scheme away from you all by now. :p

Speaking of, bring back MC's mad hops for Halo 4, thanks.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Karl2177 said:
For you and juices, the stream video is super laggy. I'm assuming because you guys are streaming in HD. Almost every other Reach stream has the option to change video quality. Why doesn't yours?
Because you need to be a producer to unlock those features. Lots of viewers, lots of followers.

The Real Napsta said:
How does damage bleed "break" the playlist?

DMR is always a 5 shot, pistol is always a 4 shot. I'm not seeing the confusion.
Damage bleed breaks not only the playlist, but the game as a whole. The player feedback system and even elements of the sandbox are built around the damage-gated shields. Your statement is an oversimplification of the TU Beta gametypes. 1 pistol shot is all that is needed to kill in 4 shots, with Pistol or DMR. Picking up a health pack changes these settings in a way I haven't even begun to understand. There is no good indication to the attacker or the attacked as to whether a melee will kill them. And this setting is active in every single gametype in the TU Beta playlist.

Remember the time, when you say: Hey lets do a no death heroic Halo 2/3/ODST run and you always get killed by a damn Jackal sniper or a friendly AI. I tried to do a no death ODST run a few moments ago. Yeah. 3x Jackals sniper and 2x Friendly AI. *dramaticcampaignragequit*

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
Remember the time, when you say: Hey lets do a no death heroic Halo 2/3/ODST run and you always get killed by a damn Jackal sniper or a friendly AI. I tried to do a no death ODST run a few moments ago. Yeah. 3x Jackals sniper and 2x Friendly AI. *dramaticcampaignragequit*
I did no death runs in Halo: CE all the time w/ a co-op partner. Iron rules were the only way we ever played, probably played over 500 missions that way.

Hypertrooper said:
Looks like RC Master over on HBO just beat Cody Miller's Reach challenge:

- Solo
- Legendary
- No Skulls
- Single Segment (i.e. one sitting)
- No deaths (except lone wolf)
- 3 hour time limit
- Glitches and tricks are okay but no cheating/hacking

Crazy.

Hypertrooper said:

My first play through on Halo 2 was like that. I was seriously like WTF? Took me ages to figure out where they were.

Karl2177

I'm hoping post-Anniversary-pre-Halo-4-announce we get some much needed Matchmaking updates. I'm glad to see the AL nerfed again. I'd still like to see more changes though. We have 85% Slayer. Why not send out a custom gametype with 50%? I really wish the players were given more options on how they want to customize their game to, and with the way the TU was rolled out it doesn't give us much of an option. And before anyone goes off on me, I understand the UI doesn't allow for bloom, AL, AC, etc. tweaks on our end.

PooBone said:
I did no death runs in Halo: CE all the time w/ a co-op partner. Iron rules were the only way we ever played, probably played over 500 missions that way.
No death run with a co-op partner is for noobs.

No seriously, I can't do that. I'm always betraying my partner, because he/she stole my Warthog or the rockets. Or I just was bored and wanted to kill some one. Damn. I haven't played co-op since Halo 3. Missed that.

ncsuDuncan said:
Looks like RC Master over on HBO just beat Cody Miller's Reach challenge:

- Solo
- Legendary
- No Skulls
- Single Segment (i.e. one sitting)
- No deaths (except lone wolf)
- 3 hour time limit
- Glitches and tricks are okay but no cheating/hacking

Crazy.
I can't find the gamefiles etc. I want to see it.

You don't post a lot anymore. It is my fault, because you met me at PAX? =(

A27_StarWolf said:
My first play through on Halo 2 was like that. I was seriously like WTF? Took me ages to figure out where they were.
Seriously. I beat halo 2 only once on Legendary. Never again. Damn. The Jackal sniper are so urgh. Still have to get the 1000GS in Halo 2 Vista. :/

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
No death run with a co-op partner is for noobs.

No seriously, I can't do that. I'm always betraying my partner, because he/she stole my Warthog or the rockets. Or I just was bored and wanted to kill some one. Damn. I haven't played co-op since Halo 3. Missed that.

Seriously. I beat halo 2 only once on Legendary. Never again. Damn. The Jackal sniper are so urgh. Still have to get the 1000GS in Halo 2 Vista. :/
Nah, it's just way more fun co-op. Always had an unspoken driver/gunner or sniper/rockets understanding. Never any betrayals.

heckfu

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
10926d1278356325-keyboard-colour-scheme-painting-1x09-storming-castle-animated-gif-excited-buster-arrested-development-7915175-230-249.gif

I get to hang out with Buster this weekend!

Dug

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
Don't make a German a promise, if you know you can't keep it.

And congratz that Dungeon Defenders is such a successful arcade title.
Did he help make it?

Hypertrooper said:
I don't think he's posted them yet.

Hypertrooper said:
Yes, it's all your fault.
No, of course not.

My natural tendency is to lurk. I usually only post when I have something worth adding to the discussion (or a cheesy joke to make). I have this habit of typing out responses only to read over the post preview, decide it isn't worth it, and close the window. Especially if it's something negative or just "IAWTP".

Glasslands comes in the mail tomorrow, I'll jump into that conversation after I finish reading it.

Risen

HiredN00bs said:
Damage bleed breaks not only the playlist, but the game as a whole. The player feedback system and even elements of the sandbox are built around the damage-gated shields. Your statement is an oversimplification of the TU Beta gametypes. 1 pistol shot is all that is needed to kill in 4 shots, with Pistol or DMR. Picking up a health pack changes these settings in a way I haven't even begun to understand. There is no good indication to the attacker or the attacked as to whether a melee will kill them. And this setting is active in every single gametype in the TU Beta playlist.

I get that the bug that is present when picking up a health pack breaks things from a bleed through perspective...

But how does bleed through break the game as a whole? I understand people like the feedback system and may be confused about how they die if they are not the type of person that can be aware of both shots coming in and shots going out, and how those are affecting people real time... but that's a layer of skill - not a game breaking dynamic.

Fix the health pack bug, and bleed through is outstanding. Provided it is consistent, it places the responsibility on the player to be aware of their own, and their opponents conditions rather than the game doing it for them. It rewards quick reactions, high awareness, and good aim while punishing poor positioning and decision making.

daedalius said:
Wow, Glasslands is so good.

Is the plan to have this whole trilogy out before Halo 4? As well as Greg Bear's trilogy?
Dear heavens no!
Next year we'll get Primordium and that's likely it. Very unlikely, but possible we'd get the next Traviss book, but I doubt it.

2012: Primordium, Halo 4, maybe new Traviss novel
2013: Whatevercomesnextum, probably new Traviss novel

So no, they definitely won't have 'em all out before Halo 4.

TheOddOne said:
I feel being left out with all this Glassland discussion, dammit I have to wait a whole week before I get my copy.
Try a month. :'(

feel

daedalius said:
Wow, Glasslands is so good.

Is the plan to have this whole trilogy out before Halo 4? As well as Greg Bear's trilogy?
lol we'll be lucky if we have 4 more podcasts or 4 more MM playlists updates before Halo 4. You can forget about 4 books.

daedalius

Letters said:
lol we'll be lucky if we have 4 more podcasts or 4 more MM playlists updates before Halo 4. You can forget about 4 books.

Well I figured as much, didn't know if they had this stuff all backlogged and finished to be released at proper times to maintain hype.

FyreWulff

Letters said:

They should make a comic that leads right into the beginning of Halo 4. Since comics are so short and mostly drawn, they should be able to get it out in time.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
They should make a comic that leads right into the beginning of Halo 4. Since comics are so short and mostly drawn, they should be able to get it out in time.

*looks at his collection of Halo Uprising comics*
*Remembers how they were supposed to all be out before Halo 3 hit*
*Remembers that this wasn't the case*
*Looks at FyreWulff*
*Wonders if FyreWulff is serious*

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
*Remembers that this wasn't the case*
*Looks at FyreWulff*

skutyf.jpg

PsychoRaven said:
*Looks at FyreWulff*
Uprising was shit, so it doesn't count.

Blue Ninja said:
2012: Primordium, Halo 4, maybe new Traviss novel
2013: Whatevercomesnextum, probably new Traviss novel

So no, they definitely won't have 'em all out before Halo 4.

Try a month. :'(
Why are you still here?
Damn. amazon, give me the power to give away Kindle copies

darthbob

For anyone who ordered a physical copy of Glasslands through Amazon, has your order shipped yet?

Mine is still sitting at Shipping Soon, granted, I also have the Art Book included in there as well.

Risen said:
I get that the bug that is present when picking up a health pack breaks things from a bleed through perspective...

But how does bleed through break the game as a whole? I understand people like the feedback system and may be confused about how they die if they are not the type of person that can be aware of both shots coming in and shots going out, and how those are affecting people real time... but that's a layer of skill - not a game breaking dynamic.

Fix the health pack bug, and bleed through is outstanding. Provided it is consistent, it places the responsibility on the player to be aware of their own, and their opponents conditions rather than the game doing it for them. It rewards quick reactions, high awareness, and good aim while punishing poor positioning and decision making.
I strongly disagree with the bolded statement.

It's not just the health pack "bug", there isn't any clear and distinct way to know you are near death. The points on the shield bar at which a melee, pistol, DMR, Needle Rifle, or Sniper Rifle shot will kill you are all different and arbitrary to the average human. It's unlikely you're going to know how vulnerable you are. This doesn't make people play smarter, it makes them play more cautiously because they have less precise information. It's shitty design.

You've been shot once with a Needle Rifle, and twice with a DMR, will a melee kill you? With damage bleed, who knows? Without it, you always know where you stand and can make smarter decisions because of it.

darthbob said:
For anyone who ordered a physical copy of Glasslands through Amazon, has your order shipped yet?

Mine is still sitting at Shipping Soon, granted, I also have the Art Book included in there as well.
I had it down for release-day shipping it came out..release day!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:

Takes a surprising amount of time to translate Frank's MS Paint treatments to "official" art.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There should be three Halo books out next year. It think it all depends on the marketing schedule if they want to pop out a forth as Ms Travis, from what I recall from her previous works, is very good at pumping out her work and keeping the quality consistent.

January 2012: Primordium
Mid 2012: UNSC Trilogy Book 2
Late 2012: Somethingelseium
Winer 2012: Halo 4

I don't think there's room to be honest.

darthbob

Dax01 said:
I had it down for release-day shipping it came out..release day!

I'm a cheap bastard. Super saver ft...l

:'(

Makes reading this thread hard to do, still bummed that I discovered
Miranda is Halsey's daughter. I read the Nylund/Halsey Journal, but never picked up on that.

Slightly Live said:
There should be three Halo books out next year. It think it all depends on the marketing schedule if they want to pop out a forth as Ms Travis, from what I recall from her previous works, is very good at pumping out her work and keeping the quality consistent.

January 2012: Primordium
Mid 2012: UNSC Trilogy Book 2
Late 2012: Somethingelseium
Winer 2012: Halo 4

I don't think there's room to be honest.
Why would the third book of the Forerunner trilogy be out mid-late 2012 when the previous books had a year between releases?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
Why would the third book of the Forerunner trilogy be out mid-late 2012 when the previous books had a year between releases?

Hah, didn't realise the gap was that long. Wow. Nevertheless, I'd like to finish the Forerunner trilogy before jumping into Halo 4 - just seems like the story is filling us in on some important and relevant details in anticipation of Master Chief's next big adventure.

Dax01 said:
I guess, Dani wants that the book comes out before Halo 4 is released. Still think we can expect:
Primordium January 2012
UNSC #2 Fall 2012
Forerunner Book #3 Jamuary 2013
UNSC #3 2013

Slightly Live said:
Hah, didn't realise the gap was that long. Wow. Nevertheless, I'd like to finish the Forerunner trilogy before jumping into Halo 4 - just seems like the story is filling us in on some important and relevant details in anticipation of Master Chief's next big adventure.
So does Traviss' trilogy. But wouldn't it be more interesting if you read Forerunner #3 and then reach a part, where you think: Wait a second, I know this. There was something like this in Halo 4. Let's check it out again.

I don't see that as probable. If that was the intention, we'd be seeing the first two books within 2011, then the final book out in 2012.

When I heard that Primordium was coming out in January of 2012, I realized the trilogy wouldn't be finished until after Halo 4.

Besides, I think I'd rather have it like that. Halo 4 holiday 2012, then third book in January. That's really close and a lot of Halo goodness.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
I don't see that as probable. If that was the intention, we'd be seeing the first two books within 2011, then the final book out in 2012.

When I heard that Primordium was coming out in January of 2012, I realized the trilogy wouldn't be finished until after Halo 4.

Besides, I think I'd rather have it like that. Halo 4 holiday 2012, then third book in January. That's really close and a lot of Halo goodness.

Frankie Magic

HiredN00bs said:
You've been shot once with a Needle Rifle, and twice with a DMR, will a melee kill you? With damage bleed, who knows? Without it, you always know where you stand and can make smarter decisions because of it.
Was this a problem in previous games?

Get rid of bullet damage bleedthrough and I'm a happy camper.

Top Bottom