• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Rickenslacker said:
How about we do what the best Halo did. Give them both. Then AR lovers can charge towards their target in a straight line full blast while getting picked off at a distance without the whole debate.

Yeah, that works, like I said, start with a pair of weapons at all times. A precision weapon, and a short range automatic weapon.

Or like GoW does, just let the people choose between a BR(DMR)/pistol set and a AR/pistol set in the same menu as where you change your spartan, not at the start of the match.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Zeouterlimits said:
Alternatively : Did Bungie go too far OR did they attempt to add to the sandbox and do it poorly?

really good question and something i was thinking about a lot last night after a halo marathon.

i think the latter. i'm actually ok with the idea of armor abilities (sprint should never go away IMO), but many, such as armor lock, camo, and jet pack, have the ability to break the game - whether in map flow, slowing combat, or just cheap tactics (hello camo sinpers). ideally, i'd like halo 4 to have sprint as default with most of the other abilities as swapable pick ups. hell, jet pack and armor lock could even be BEEFED UP if there were only 1 or 2 on any given map. in addition to controlling power weapons, teams may via for abilities, like what MLG has done with evade. the sole exception to this is camo as it encourages really lame and cheap tactics. make it an old fashioned power up instead.

i also like bloom, but the defualt reach setting was far too much, as the TU has shown me. 85% is great, slightly less may be ideal. bloom should be there to make you slow your pace on far away targets only and not impact so much at closer ranges. zero bloom makes combat far to easy from nearly any distance.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How do you guys feel about the new TOS?
C. By registering an account at NeoGAF.com and participating (including but not limited to submitting replies or private messages), you hereby grant NeoGAF LLC and our licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable (in whole or part) worldwide license under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit, distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works based upon, perform and otherwise exploit such submissions, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised, for any and all purposes including entertainment, news, advertising, promotional, marketing, publicity, trade or commercial purposes, all without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity.
As a result of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450058

Discussion about it, also happening here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450071

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, that works, like I said, start with a pair of weapons at all times. A precision weapon, and a short range automatic weapon.
I am all for that.

Tha Robbertster said:
Or like GoW does, just let the people choose between a BR(DMR)/pistol set and a AR/pistol set in the same menu as where you change your spartan, not at the start of the match.
Then you get the AR/BR debate again. Also, remove the pistol or something, these redundant precision weapons just make a mess of things.

Striker

Rickenslacker said:
Then you get the AR/BR debate again. Also, remove the pistol or something, these redundant precision weapons just make a mess of things.
A starting weapon in the form of a pistol as the primary with an automatic weapon (SMG, scoped SMG, whatever; I hope to hell the AR goes away, but this isn't likely unfortunately) for the clean-up kills as secondary is something they should strongly consider. You just need to find a sweet spot for its power in getting kills and ability to defend.

Rickenslacker said:

Wasn't around for the AR/BR debate, but I've seen it brought up here a lot. What is it (very shortly)?

Striker said:
A starting weapon in the form of a pistol as the primary with an automatic weapon (SMG, scoped SMG, whatever; I hope to hell the AR goes away, but this isn't likely unfortunately) for the clean-up kills as secondary is something they should strongly consider. You just need to find a sweet spot for its power in getting kills and ability to defend.

That is exactly what I would love to see.

Pistol or Rifle for the human precision weapon, having both is pretty redundant. (Obviously pistol is the one you keep and you scrap the rifle)

Rickenslacker said:
AR starts are better.

No! BR starts are better.

Spiral into insanity.

But if you choose which weapon you want to spawn with, shouldn't everybody be happy then? The people who think AR starts are better can have their ''better'' starting weapon and visa versa.

Or do you mean that people thought the matches were better where everybody had AR/BR as starting weapon?

Tawpgun

PsychoRaven said:
Yup that hits it on the head. Neither side will ever give in either. It will be a war that goes on forever.
Fight the good fight. BR 4 lyfe.

Just have matchmaking preferences for BR/AR imo. Party Leader decides.

Tha Robbertster said:
But if you choose which weapon you want to spawn with, shouldn't everybody be happy then? The people who think AR starts are better can have their ''better'' starting weapon and visa versa.

Or do you mean that people thought the matches were better where everybody had AR/BR as starting weapon?
Yeah I just wasn't thinking it through and it wouldn't really apply, my brain was just urking at starting with two precision weapons. I just want Halo CE again dammit! One precision weapon to rule them all and the bullet hose to keep around as a keychain.

Retro

AR/BR debate

Tellin' ya, bring back a modified version of the ODST SMG. 2x zoom, 1-shot precision when zoomed in, auto-fire spray when not. Lets you pick people off from a distance like the BR and finish them off up close. Incapable of headshots, as having a headshot-capable weapon at spawn automatically puts everyone in turtle mode. It also allows the Pistol to remain the low end precision weapon and if players start with one, at least the smaller clip could keep it from forcing turtle-behavior so early.

Silencer and muzzle suppression makes it harder for you to see where the shots are coming from (literally, dial back the in-game direction elements slightly). Perfect weapon to start with story-wise too; Chief is floating on half of a ship fresh from combat, scrounging for any weapons left behind and alone on an unfamiliar world. He's gonna pick the lightest, quietest weapon he can find until he knows what he's up against.

Tashi0106 said:
BF3, I wonder if it's actually that good. I'd rather have HaloGAF's opinions.

I will be playing an alarming amount of it for a very long time.

The multiplayer is like being in a fucking war, it's amazing.

Steelyuhas said:
I will be playing an alarming amount of it for a very long time.

The multiplayer is like being in a fucking war, it's amazing.

Are you on PC or Xbox? If I get that kind of review from a xbox gamer I would buy it. Im wary that the PC version is amazing but the console versions are gimped?

Tashi0106 said:
BF3, I wonder if it's actually that good. I'd rather have HaloGAF's opinions.

On xbox, finding the games I want with friends is nearly impossible. 9/10 times, it gives me a message that I can't join the server and that I should check my network settings while I can find matchtes on my own just fine.

The gameplay is great though. Much to unlock and the weapons are satisfying to use. Vehicles are fun and not OP.

The campaign isn't anything special, not bad but I prefer Halo's campaign a 1000 times over.

Striker

Tha Robbertster said:
On xbox, finding the games I want with friends is nearly impossible. 9/10 times, it gives me a message that I can't join the server...
There's a server browser, and you can also find/join said browsers with filter of your choice.

Tha Robbertster said:
On xbox, finding the games I want with friends is nearly impossible. 9/10 times, it gives me a message that I can't join the server and that I should check my network settings while I can find matchtes on my own just fine.

The gameplay is great though. Much to unlock and the weapons are satisfying to use. Vehicles are fun and not OP.

The campaign isn't anything special, not bad but I prefer Halo's campaign a 1000 times over.

The server issues will be ironed out, this has happened at the launch of every Battlefield game.

cory021

Neo Member
Retro said:
Tellin' ya, bring back a modified version of the ODST SMG. 2x zoom, 1-shot precision when zoomed in, auto-fire spray when not. Lets you pick people off from a distance like the BR and finish them off up close. Incapable of headshots, as having a headshot-capable weapon at spawn automatically puts everyone in turtle mode. It also allows the Pistol to remain the low end precision weapon and if players start with one, at least the smaller clip could keep it from forcing turtle-behavior so early.

Silencer and muzzle suppression makes it harder for you to see where the shots are coming from (literally, dial back the in-game direction elements slightly). Perfect weapon to start with story-wise too; Chief is floating on half of a ship fresh from combat, scrounging for any weapons left behind and alone on an unfamiliar world. He's gonna pick the lightest, quietest weapon he can find until he knows what he's up against.
I like the idea of a scoped SMG as a starting weapon. One thing that I would like to see from ODST is the way recoil worked on this gun. For the first 5-6 shots, the gun would have slightly recoil, but after that, the recoil would pick up substantially.

Actually, that would be a great replacement for bloom in H4. Holding the trigger makes your gun harder to control, not less accurate. I'm sure someone could formulate a whole argument about how this would be more 'skillful' or something like that.

Striker said:
There's a server browser, and you can also find/join said browsers with filter of your choice.

If only I could join those servers :lol

Most of the time, they are either full or on the other side of the world and thus very laggy. Or they just plainly won't let me join.

Steelyuhas said:
The server issues will be ironed out, this has happened at the launch of every Battlefield game.

Good, but still pretty stupid. I want to play the game right now.

cory021 said:
Actually, that would be a great replacement for bloom in H4. Holding the trigger makes your gun harder to control, not less accurate. I'm sure someone could formulate a whole argument about how this would be more 'skillful' or something like that.
Counter-Strike was basically formed on that concept. The weapons would recoil in the same way each time meaning you had to learn a gun's kickback, but CS:S randomized it much to the chagrin of a lot of the more competitive fanbase, 'cause it means a lot of random headshot goofiness.

Striker

Tha Robbertster said:
If only I could join those servers :lol

Most of the time, they are either full or on the other side of the world and thus very laggy. Or they just plainly won't let me join.
Yes, you can filter those. Select between TDM, Rush, Conquest, which map, and also location (US, Europe, Australia).

They also have a player count (24/24) always listed.

FyreWulff said:
Pretty much means any extensive writeups should probably be posted to HBO instead of GAF.
Anyone of compromising integrity could pull a decent writeup from anywhere and pretend it's theirs; where you post it is irrelevant. Much ado about nothing.

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
Anyone of compromising integrity could pull a decent writeup from anywhere and pretend it's theirs; where you post it is irrelevant. Much ado about nothing.

Except that you can do something about it since you own the post content's copyright automatically if you're a US Citizen. A short circuit is being attempted here were NeoGAF can relicense your posts to any interested "journalism" site out there in whole, even though these sites can already reference internet posts via existing fair use.

I wouldn't want to be caught accidentally supporting a dying site like Kotaku after the shady shit they pull with author attribution of their own employees via any sort of direct licensing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
To be fair, read some of EviLore's replies in that thread. You aren't transferring ownership of things you post here. He's doing it so sites like Destructoid actually have to ask him before they can post stuff you all created and posted here.

Destructoid had a story a few days ago where they basically just posted a bunch of Gaf comments without asking. That's why this new TOS update went in.

Deadly Cyclone said:
To be fair, read some of EviLore's replies in that thread. You aren't transferring ownership of things you post here. He's doing it so sites like Destructoid actually have to ask him before they can post stuff you all created and posted here.

Destructoid had a story a few days ago where they basically just posted a bunch of Gaf comments without asking. That's why this new TOS update went in.

Hopefully he refuses.
Lock Community section down so only members can see posts here

Striker said:
Yes, you can filter those. Select between TDM, Rush, Conquest, which map, and also location (US, Europe, Australia).

They also have a player count (24/24) always listed.
Oh, I know how to use those servers, but they don't really work for me and ny friends most of the time.

FyreWulff said:
Except that you can do something about it since you own the post content's copyright automatically if you're a US Citizen. A short circuit is being attempted here were NeoGAF can relicense your posts to any interested "journalism" site out there in whole, even though these sites can already reference internet posts via existing fair use.

I wouldn't want to be caught accidentally supporting a dying site like Kotaku after the shady shit they pull with author attribution of their own employees via any sort of direct licensing.

EviLore said:
I am against it, which is why it wasn't there before and I acted informally about it. But people are making a big fuss, so it's added to protect the site and clarify our position if it comes up in the future.

To clarify, it's a non-exclusive license, not a transfer of ownership or losing your own rights to what you post. So if you feel I'm a completely evil asshole who will use your posts for nefarious means, by all means go ahead and delete your posts and stop using your account and all. But nothing has really changed, because what is described in the ToS is how we've always operated in effect up to this point anyway.
Clear enough for me. I don't blame the man for his increasing exasperation with the community's responses in that thread.

StalkerUKCG said:
Hopefully he refuses.
Lock Community section down so only members can see posts here
As a once longtime lurker, when this was the case when these threads were originally booted to Community it was terrible. Won't someone think of the lurkers?!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Letters said:
Essentially, by posting a tweet, you're letting people retweet it. That's all this is. Too many people are making a mountain out of a molehill here, or expecting EviLore to somehow turn into a copyright troll monster.

Good news about all this though, from what he leaked in the OT thread:

-Full search functionality (w/ post history etc.) back
-Multi-quote button for easily quoting multiple posts.
-Automatic link back to original post when quoting someone
-Automatic resizing of quoted images for when nubs don't remove the img tags

Kuroyume

Banned
Plywood said:
You are going to be so disappointed when the first gameplay video they show Chief pulls out an AR and starts killing things from 20 clicks away.

Not really. I'm not delusional. I totally expect to see that. Ever since they revealed the studio 343 has beaten the drum that they're all about the lore of the games. For some unknown reason now the AR is an iconic weapon for Halo. I'm not familiar with any of the artbooks, books, and other random merchandise they've released but whenever I see those covers posted on the Halo gaf thread it's always MC with an AR on the cover. It's become kind of a joke now. I don't think there would be a huge outcry if the AR was gone. I don't recall anyone crying about it when H2 was released, but you have to have an AR in there now otherwise what would anoher Halo game be without AR vs BR.

Btw, my problem with the AR isn't necessarily spawning with it. Reach almost solved that with a not so totally useless pistol. The problem is when they nerf those other precision weapons so that they can justify having the AR in there. Bloom, small clip counts, rate of fire limits are a few of the many ways in which Bungie handicapped the people using those precision weapons. Try playing a game of multiteam with a pistol when everyone is running/flying around with ARs firing at all time. The pistol should be a good CQC weapon but against an AR you better hope you didn't miss a shot otherwise you're good as dead.

Lyphen said:

This will be glorious.

Lyphen said:
Essentially, by posting a tweet, you're letting people retweet it. That's all this is. Too many people are making a mountain out of a molehill here, or expecting EviLore to somehow turn into a copyright troll monster.

Fabulous.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Fucking game case made a crack on the inner ring of my Reach disc. Have to be careful when moving it from case to system, and vice-versa.

Top Bottom