• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kuroyume said:
Not really. I'm not delusional. I totally expect to see that. Ever since they revealed the studio 343 has beaten the drum that they're all about the lore of the games. For some unknown reason now the AR is an iconic weapon for Halo. I'm not familiar with any of the artbooks, books, and other random merchandise they've released but whenever I see those covers posted on the Halo gaf thread it's always MC with an AR on the cover. It's become kind of a joke now. I don't think there would be a huge outcry if the AR was gone. I don't recall anyone crying about it when H2 was released, but you have to have an AR in there now otherwise what would anoher Halo game be without AR vs BR.

Btw, my problem with the AR isn't necessarily spawning with it. Reach almost solved that with a not so totally useless pistol. The problem is when they nerf those other precision weapons so that they can justify having the AR in there. Bloom, small clip counts, rate of fire limits are a few of the many ways in which Bungie handicapped the people using those precision weapons. Try playing a game of multiteam with a pistol when everyone is running/flying around with ARs firing at all time. The pistol should be a good CQC weapon but against an AR you better hope you didn't miss a shot otherwise you're good as dead.
thisisagoodpostwq3k.gif

Personally, I thought the SMG's in Halo 2 were fine. If anything I'd like to see the SMG supercede the AR. I liked the scoped SMG in ODST and the AR's design always felt a bit off to me.

Though I always wonder what's the chances of a gun like the P90, making its way into Halo:

6wObD.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76wGxg3fzw

Wouldn't mind seeing more variety for the human weapons.

Plywood said:
How do you guys feel about the new TOS?

As a result of this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450058

Discussion about it, also happening here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450071

Sorry, HaloGAF, but as a result of this TOS change I won't be dropping that classic ncsuDuncan "humor" in the thread anymore.
If you want to see any of that again you'll have to go to MisriahSolutions.com.

Unrelated, but Misriah $olutions is proud to announce a new tiered service plan:

Silver - (Free)
- You can read the front page.
- Feel free to view the colorful ads!
Note: At this level, all humor and Destiny speculation will be removed from the site.

Gold - ($14.95/month)
- Access to the entire Misriah Solutions backlog. All two articles!
- A Misriah Solutions t-shirt! (Sizes range from Child Small to Adult XXXL. Only two sizes available.)
- 5 render minutes per month. (Not usable on Bungie.net or any other site. PC games only.)
- Double the slots in your file share! (Slots only store uploaded photos and screenshots; they have to be good ones or I'll delete them.)

Platinum - ($49.95/month)
- Once a month you will get a free hour of Achievement/Challenge assistance. (You don't get to pick when that hour takes place. Also I don't have a mic.)
- A free Misriah Solutions costume for your Avatar! (Not your Xbox Avatar, but the action figures from the James Cameron film. Jungle playset sold separately.)
- ncsuDuncan will add you as a friend on Facebook! (Friend status is revoked if your subscription expires.)

If you don't want to subscribe, you can also buy the Misriah Solutions "Season Pass" for only $24.95 which will grant access to the next four content items posted to the site. Note that a two-page article counts as two content items. There is no guarantee that these content items will be produced in a timely manner or written directly by Misriah Solutions, they could very well just be copied and pasted from some unsuspecting gaming forum.

Retro

cory021 said:
I like the idea of a scoped SMG as a starting weapon. One thing that I would like to see from ODST is the way recoil worked on this gun. For the first 5-6 shots, the gun would have slightly recoil, but after that, the recoil would pick up substantially.

Actually, that would be a great replacement for bloom in H4. Holding the trigger makes your gun harder to control, not less accurate. I'm sure someone could formulate a whole argument about how this would be more 'skillful' or something like that.

Yeah, I kind of had a long list of what weapons I would put into Halo 4 and the note about recoil being the new bloom was in there when I deleted it (since I'm hardly an expert).

The idea is that you could zoom in and the game would switch it to single shot mode; the kickback is still there, but it's not huge. It would work a bit like a bloomless DMR, but with only 2x and the 'ride up' if you try to pop too many shots without compensating. Rather than pacing shots, you just have to compensate for the ride-up, otherwise, fire away.

At close range, it's full-auto with severe ride-up, but still fairly accurate (whereas the current AR with bloom sprays everywhere but has no ride-up to compensate). Probably have a smaller clip than an AR too.

As to the list of weapons I had...

Ranges:
Melee:
Sword: Melee allows for a sword swipe and assassinations (even if assassinations are removed in 4, the sword should still get one). The Fire button is Lunge, but can be used without a lockon, sort of a forward-only Evade move (since AAs are probably being removed) to close distances or escape if needed. If locked on, the lunge still leaps directly at a target.

Close Range:
Shotgun: I probably don't understand bleedthrough mechanics properly, but I feel like the Shotty's benefit should be a ratio of shield/health-damage based on distance. For example, if you're right in someone's face, the damage is 100/0, with all damage going straight to health. If you're further away, it's something like 50/50, with half shield and half health damage. The point is, the shotgun damages both shields and health at the same time, just at different levels based on distance. If somebody is shooting you with it from a distance, you'd still get health-damage, but your shields would soak up most of it.

Mid Range: (15-40 feet)
S-SMG: As mentioned above, the Silenced SMG actually switches between Mid-range and close-range based on whether you're zoomed in or not. Without the zoom, the S-SMG is fully automatic, with tremendous 'ride up' recoil the longer the button is held. It has a smaller clip than the AR, but is more precise; you just have to fight that recoil to bring it to bear.

And that's about all I had since I got hung up on pistol data and didn't have the time or the knowledge of various iterations to finish it.

I guess my approach to weapons would be to give each weapon a sort of utility nitch, with certain things like headshot-capability being considered such. Stuff that isn't just statistical differences, but actual effects. Like the Plasma Rifle 'stun' from CE. Plasma weapons could tear through shields but suck at injuring health, bullet-based weapons the opposite.

Reasons to pick up a weapon based on your playstyle or situation. Not just "It's better" but "It's Better for me". Maybe I'm crazy though.

Kuroyume said:
Not really. I'm not delusional. I totally expect to see that. Ever since they revealed the studio 343 has beaten the drum that they're all about the lore of the games. For some unknown reason now the AR is an iconic weapon for Halo. I'm not familiar with any of the artbooks, books, and other random merchandise they've released but whenever I see those covers posted on the Halo gaf thread it's always MC with an AR on the cover. It's become kind of a joke now. I don't think there would be a huge outcry if the AR was gone. I don't recall anyone crying about it when H2 was released, but you have to have an AR in there now otherwise what would anoher Halo game be without AR vs BR.
The Assault Rifle is the most iconic Halo weapon. I love using the Assault Rifle in the campaign. It's first weapon that comes into my mind if I think of the weapons. On the other hand when I think about Multiplayer, I'm always thinking about the BR. 343i can show the Assault Rifle in the campaign footages. But in Multiplayer footage the Assault rifle doesn't belong there. It feels wrong and it is wrong.

Otherwise ask Letters, what he is thinking about it. He wanted that the Assault Rifle sounds perfect in Anniversary. I guess he can tell you more about the love of the Assault Rilfe in promo images.

ncsuDuncan said:
Sorry, HaloGAF, but as a result of this TOS change I won't be dropping that classic ncsuDuncan "humor" in the thread anymore.
If you want to see any of that again you'll have to go to MisriahSolutions.com.

Unrelated, but Misriah $olutions is proud to announce a new tiered service plan:

A total rip-off

If you don't want to subscribe, you can also buy the Misriah Solutions "Season Pass" for only $24.95 which will grant access to the next four content items posted to the site. Note that a two-page article counts as two content items. There is no guarantee that these content items will be produced in a timely manner or written directly by Misriah Solutions, they could very well just be copied and pasted from some unsuspecting gaming forum.
As a long time platinum owner I can say, it is totally worth it. Seriously only $50 per month? THAT'S BARGAIN!

TheOddOne

ncsuDuncan said:
No podcasts or exclusive Endurence Runs? You sir have lost yourself a customer.

kylej

Banned
Bungie and 343 employees do not play competitive, remotely competitive, or even competent levels of Halo. Nobody there does. That's not an insult, it's the truth. I'm pretty sure the people there would admit as much. At this point it really shouldn't surprise anybody that these developers think things like the AR are balanced and wonderful. It blows, but it's not going to change.

Striker said:
The Assault Rifle was fine in Halo 1, both for MP and campaign. The later AR versions? Gross.
vvaFZ.gif

The SMG felt good in all of its iterations, but in 3 and more in Reach, the AR just feels like crap. Not even talking about it from a functionality standpoint, but just the way it looks and sounds and shoots is terrible.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Bungie and 343 employees do not play competitive, remotely competitive, or even competent levels of Halo. Nobody there does. That's not an insult, it's the truth. I'm pretty sure the people there would admit as much. At this point it really shouldn't surprise anybody that these developers think things like the AR are balanced and wonderful. It blows, but it's not going to change.

Bungie - 2
NeoGAF - 1

Never Forget

Tashi0106 said:
Bungie - 2
NeoGAF - 1

Never Forget

Lol. HaloGAF is awfully terrible. Still can't believe they lost to Bungie. Speaks volumes about this place.

<--planned to play and win until Bungie gave less than 24 hour notice and I had work during.

kylej said:

I like this rant. Me You Tashi and Ram should be hired and just dong on everyone at Bungie and 343. All the while making the game good and something people cant stop playing.

Hypertrooper said:
The Assault Rifle is the most iconic Halo weapon. I love using the Assault Rifle in the campaign. It's first weapon that comes into my mind if I think of the weapons. On the other hand when I think about Multiplayer, I'm always thinking about the BR. 343i can show the Assault Rifle in the campaign footages. But in Multiplayer footage the Assault rifle doesn't belong there. It feels wrong and it is wrong.
Yeah, I love using the AR in the campaign. It got progressively better as the series went on. Halo 1 had the worst AR, not good for anything except Grunts (and Flood) really. Halo 3 and ODST improved upon it by giving it increased accuracy and bullet damage, expanding its versatility: Grunts, Jackals, Drones, Flood, and Brutes. The AR in Reach was more effective against Brutes and Elites than its counterpart in Halo 3.

I eagerly await its return in Halo 4.

xxjuicesxx said:
Lol. HaloGAF is awfully terrible. Still can't believe they lost to Bungie. Speaks volumes about this place.

<--planned to play and win until Bungie gave less than 24 hour notice and I had work during.

I like this rant. Me You Tashi and Ram should be hired and just dong on everyone at Bungie and 343. All the while making the game good and something people cant stop playing.

W.e you were scared

Retro

If the AR was made a pick-up weapon rather than a spawn weapon, I think it could safely be bumped up a bit in terms of effectiveness. I feel like it should be able to turn stuff into swiss cheese with that Rate of Fire and Clip size, but because it's the 'default' weapon it's only good for... AR charges and noobery.

It's in kind of an odd place in Halo's weapon set because it can't be so awesome nobody ever drops it, but it has to be effective since people are stuck with it from the first. Making it a pick-up weapon in Multiplayer would feel off without it getting some kind of added benefit. Nobody really wants a mid-range so-so gun, do they?

Maybe when you're using the AR, your grenade button changes from a throw to an under-slung Launcher, giving the AR increased grenade range/accuracy. We're already ripping off Aliens, right?

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

We could fix Halo and dong on all of Bungie and 343 within like 2 hours a week. That's the same amount of time Sishqo spent working so I doubt they'd mind.

Tashi0106 said:
Bungie - 2
NeoGAF - 1

Never Forget

I don't even understand how that's possible. Who knew HaloGAF contained so many members of the deaf and blind community.

kylej said:
We could fix Halo and dong on all of Bungie and 343 within like 2 hours a week. That's the same amount of time Sishqo spent working so I doubt they'd mind.

I don't even understand how that's possible. Who knew HaloGAF contained so many members of the deaf and blind community.

Not enough Firefight Matchmaking Practice Beli343.
amiritejuices

Tashi

kylej said:

The teams weren't built for ultimate donging. If that were the case team two would have slaughtered Bungie like in game 2.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Let me remind you plebeians that one of the gametypes was Invasion slayer on Hemo, them as spartans. Our game was having to let a spartan take a point, and then try to steal whatever dropped.

The other was slayer on paradiso which they really have no excuse.

Tashi0106 said:
The teams weren't built for ultimate donging. If that were the case team two would have slaughtered Bungie like in game 2.

Team 2? Wasnt that the team that lost in that one tournament.

<--this guys team (3) never lost. :)

Tashi

xxjuicesxx said:
Team 2? Wasnt that the team that lost in that one tournament.

<--this guys team (3) never lost. :)

Actually I think the team that lost in the tournament was better than the team against Bungie. I don't remember exactly who was on each.

kylej

Banned
excuses excuses. Invasion is just a chance for unlimited slayer. are you bad kids going to dong right now enough of this I need to wape school is driving me crazy. juices if youre not getting online soon I'm going to start drinking and reading Ellroy into the wee hours of the night

Yea already on.

Heres protips when you are losing Invasion.

1. Stop playing invasion.

If you are forced to play and step 1 does not apply go to step 2.

2. Do better and stop losing.

StalkerUKCG said:
I dont know tashi's IQ but i gather he worked out the guys called nutter, i think he wanted a GT link
When I was young(
and I'm still young
), people asked for pics. Or it never happened.

Time changes fast.

ElRenoRaven

Lyphen said:
Essentially, by posting a tweet, you're letting people retweet it. That's all this is. Too many people are making a mountain out of a molehill here, or expecting EviLore to somehow turn into a copyright troll monster.

Good news about all this though, from what he leaked in the OT thread:

-Full search functionality (w/ post history etc.) back
-Multi-quote button for easily quoting multiple posts.
-Automatic link back to original post when quoting someone
-Automatic resizing of quoted images for when nubs don't remove the img tags

That will be so nice. I can't wait.

Judderman said:
Fucking game case made a crack on the inner ring of my Reach disc. Have to be careful when moving it from case to system, and vice-versa.

I know that fell bro, My reach disc is pretty screwed up

Edit: double posting to beat devo.
Was an accident pl0x no ban

Top Bottom