• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Nah he's the best 1v1 player. He has a way to go for 4v4s. Pistola is the best Halo player and has been for like 3 years. Roy follows him. Both of those 2 have been dominating for 2-3 years.

Nah he's the best 1v1 player. He has a way to go for 4v4s. Pistola is the best Halo player and has been for like 3 years. Roy follows him. Both of those 2 have been dominating for 2-3 years.

Maybe, Pistola is damn good but I know how well he does in 1v1's against top tier players?I've seen Ninja beat Roy a couple times too in 1v1 live on stream. I think Instinct just is a much stronger team so it makes each of them look a bit better than they are, not that they are bad by any means.

4v4 is difficult when discussing each individual player so its hard...Yes Ninja's 4v4 might be "weak" but throw him on Instinct and maybe it won't look so weak...He hasn't exactly had a top tiered team yet, I mean he teams with Walshy who should have retired back in H3.

Its just really hard to say.

daedalius

No posts for over an hour? At peak time?

HaloGAF is dead. Long live HaloGAF.

Doin arts bro, been checking. Nothing really to post.

Ran into some very rude players in Squad earlier; I imagine they were very proud of themselves when 2 people on our team both went -10, and the majority of their kills were sword, on countdown. Mad skills.

Also I thought up a new goal last night.

A Turkey: Three perfections in a row.

Thought it up when I got two in Anny in a row. I've gotten back to backs a couple times before.

A Turkey and a Pentfection two monstrous goals to accomplish.

Tunavi

Banned
Been having waaay too much fun playing Reach this past week. This feeling is strange.

Im so glad 343 gave us the classic maps/settings.

heckfu

Banned
Doin arts bro, been checking. Nothing really to post.

Ran into some very rude players in Squad earlier; I imagine they were very proud of themselves when 2 people on our team both went -10, and the majority of their kills were sword, on countdown. Mad skills.

i am not ashamed i rage quit minutes in to that game. not at all.

Kibbles

An online personal fitness class has to be the most ridiculous thing I have every heard of.

This. wtf is this?
KuGsj.gif

PNut

Banned
Yea.

I just won that match. My record is 1-3 now. Completely unsatisfying though. Really, I'm not sure how many more I'll play :/

I've got a GB's 1v1 ladder going (team name is "AW's"). Think I'm 2-10 right now. If you want an easy win let me know. I'm up for some games anytime.

FyreWulff

Bleedthrough is fine in certain scenarios. Fyre is right in that they didn't design the feedback system for it, but IMO that's not enough to justify its removal.

Well since Halo 3 was actually designed around it, I always knew when i was one shot because the third BR shot stripped shields.

Conversely under 343Reach, I can be one shot after 4 shots and still have my shields up, or one shot after 4 shots and my shields are popped. Since they can adjust the pistol's damage, I have no idea why they just didn't make the pistol actually pop the damn shields after the fourth shot in TU settings. Instead of this ~~~ SECRET HEADSHOT ~~~ bullshit. There's quite a few people that would be more willing to swallow the bitter TU pill if 343 just gave up on the bleedthrough outside of Anniversary Classic.

Karl2177

Well since Halo 3 was actually designed around it, I always knew when i was one shot because the third BR shot stripped shields.

Conversely under 343Reach, I can be one shot after 4 shots and still have my shields up, or one shot after 4 shots and my shields are popped. Since they can adjust the pistol's damage, I have no idea why they just didn't make the pistol actually pop the damn shields after the fourth shot in TU settings. Instead of this ~~~ SECRET HEADSHOT ~~~ bullshit. There's quite a few people that would be more willing to swallow the bitter TU pill if 343 just gave up on the bleedthrough outside of Anniversary Classic.

I agree that shielded bleedthrough is crap, unless it's a melee. I'm more confused about the melee settings than anything. When Barlow, heckfu, and I were playing today there was a game on Prisoner and it took 4 melees to kill the guy. I was insta-teleported back to Halo 2 pre-patch.

Havok

Welcome back to playing Halo without me. Enjoy your stay until I'm freed from this prison of procrastination I've put myself in until Friday.

FyreWulff

I agree that shielded bleedthrough is crap, unless it's a melee. I'm more confused about the melee settings than anything. When Barlow, heckfu, and I were playing today there was a game on Prisoner and it took 4 melees to kill the guy. I was insta-teleported back to Halo 2 pre-patch.

Well see, if they're going to do bleedthrough at least imitate the style of Halo 3's and not Halo 1's. It doesn't make sense to get bleedthrough headshots because it's not the Halo 1 pistol in other modes.

As it is, the implementation comes off as half assed and half baked, and is puzzling since bleedthrough was announced as something to assist in the Halo 1 simulation for classic, not something intended to be deployed in the majority of Reach. If they want bleedthrough so badly, they can wait for Halo 4 where it'll probably be in there and the game will be designed around it and the shield will be a glorified extension to the health bar again. As it is, this is like trying to simultaneously have their cake (Halo 1 bleedthrough) and eat it too (Halo 3 bleedthrough). If I had to choose one I'd want Halo 3 where the shield doesn't care where it's being shot at until it pops because it's a goddamn shield, why the fuck does it care what body part it's over?

Where in the name of FUCK do DMRs spawn on Arena Zealot.

I just went +1 with NINETEEN fucking assists, because all I had to work with were pistol, AR, PR, and the odd NR (which got me most my kills, despite feeling totally inconsistent for some reason).

Havok

Where in the name of FUCK do DMRs spawn on Arena Zealot.

I just went +1 with NINETEEN fucking assists, because all I had to work with were pistol, AR, PR, and the odd NR (which got me most my kills, despite feeling totally inconsistent for some reason).
Below the flag spawns, up against those shortcut-jump incline things. Black on dark purple is kind of hard to see.

Well see, if they're going to do bleedthrough at least imitate the style of Halo 3's and not Halo 1's. It doesn't make sense to get bleedthrough headshots because it's not the Halo 1 pistol in other modes.

As it is, the implementation comes off as half assed and half baked, and is puzzling since bleedthrough was announced as something to assist in the Halo 1 simulation for classic, not something intended to be deployed in the majority of Reach. If they want bleedthrough so badly, they can wait for Halo 4 where it'll probably be in there and the game will be designed around it and the shield will be a glorified extension to the health bar again. As it is, this is like trying to simultaneously have their cake (Halo 1 bleedthrough) and eat it too (Halo 3 bleedthrough). If I had to choose one I'd want Halo 3 where the shield doesn't care where it's being shot at until it pops because it's a goddamn shield, why the fuck does it care what body part it's over?

Hire Fyrewulff

Seriously i cant understand why the didnt tweak the damage of weapons so there's always a "shield pop" shot and then the "kill shot" after

FyreWulff

Hire Fyrewulff

Seriously i cant understand why the didnt tweak the damage of weapons so there's always a "shield pop" shot and then the "kill shot" after

It's why I'm starting to suspect that bloom changes and bleedthrough are tied together, since the update specified that they were (trying) to return the pistol to pre-TU behavior.. but it's still the weird both-these-guns-are-supposed-to-be-the-same but they put you into one shot in the same number of shots but only one actually INFORMS you that you're one shot.

I'd find the TU more acceptable if it was

Reduced ROF DMR, instead of retaining it's ROF with reduced bloom
Reduced ROF Pistol (in line with how much the DMR was reduced)
Bleedthrough only on melee
100% bloom and same ROF as Bungie Reach NR
Remove camo nerf, simply delete it in playlists where it doesn't work

These would keep the sandbox intact that Bungie set up with them, and would retain the proper feedback loop of the shield system. Bleedthrough melee is an either or - either you have sprint + double melee or you have spray + melee. You trade one foe for another.

ie in zero bloom playlists, the DMR and Pistol ROFs get reduced to the rof that = zero bloom. In Halo 2 gametypes, make the pistol be weak but shoot super fast. etc. Actually use those damn levers and knobs. I may have not articulated this well before, but I'm more annoyed at the way they changed things than the ideas themselves. I would have been perfectly fine with a global zero bloom DMR if it had been accomplished via locking the RoF. I would have been disappointed that they let people avoid learning how to actually pace shots, but I would have been fine. At least the sandbox and the feedback systems would have remained unbroken.

I'm still mad because Bungie didn't share Megalo scripting with the community.

I mean, Invasion is entirely Megalo scripted, imagine what a group of talented guys could have done with these tools.

FyreWulff

I'm still mad because Bungie didn't share Megalo scripting with the community.

I mean, Invasion is entirely Megalo scripted, imagine what a group of talented guys could have done with these tools.

We would have needed some way to get gametypes signed with retail keys onto the 360. Hopefully someone will consider opening up Megalo via XNA. This is Microsoft, though.

The only other option would be some sort of web-based editor that would spit out the compiled file into your fileshare, then you download it and test it. Rock Band Network works by uploading songs from your computer to the 360, could also use that method to have a special lobby where you can upload a Megalo script into Reach.

Of course, this assumes that Halo 4 is even going to use Megalo.

I didn't know it was confirmed that some Forerunner had escaped the activation of the Halos. Myself didn't know this fact. So it was kind of surprised to read this little fact.

wwm0nkey

I didn't know it was confirmed that some Forerunner had escaped the activation of the Halos. Myself didn't know this fact. So it was kind of surprised to read this little fact.

Shield worlds where pretty much immune to the Halo array and the Didact and a few Prometheans apparently hid out on one.

daedalius

i am not ashamed i rage quit minutes in to that game. not at all.

I think you had left us before that actually. Yea, that is right, because we had 2 pugs; who were both atrociously bad. Was pretty painful.

Welcome back to playing Halo without me. Enjoy your stay until I'm freed from this prison of procrastination I've put myself in until Friday.

Well, I imagine those guys would have been dicks if you were there as well ;)

Shield worlds where pretty much immune to the Halo array and the Didact and a few Prometheans apparently hid out on one.

Spoiler tags?!

The 3rd BR burst did not strip shields.

Tawpgun

The 3rd BR burst did not strip shields.

I think assuming all shots hit, it did.

But I think there were situations where not all 3 bullets hit, and by the 3rd shot there was still a sliver of shields.

EDIT:

Nope, you were right. 3 shots didn't strip shields. Interesting. I think it just made more sense since it was a burst fire weapon. Whereas its sort of unsettling for ONE bullet to both strip shields and kill.

daedalius

I think assuming all shots hit, it did.

But I think there were situations where not all 3 bullets hit, and by the 3rd shot there was still a sliver of shields.

EDIT:

Nope, you were right. 3 shots didn't strip shields. Interesting.

Going back and playing H3 the other day was very different, but you pretty much knew you were almost always fighting a fully shielded opponent, since shields actually recharged quickly in H3; not waiting like 6 seconds before they even start like in Reach.

Shoot the gun?

Shield worlds where pretty much immune to the Halo array
and the Didact and a few Prometheans apparently hid out on one.
That's your theory, but the Halo: Encyclopedia says
"...and the shattered remnants of the Forerunner civilization decided to leave the galaxy."
[Source: Halo Encyclopedia - The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe ; pg. 181 ; Box "Activation of the Halo Array"]

Otherwise I watched the Maw terminal again. In his monolog 343 Guilty Spark says
"Just as I finally discover that our Plan to save the Galaxy succeded, the ancient enemy is unleashed once more."
If you read the Halo 4 game page(that will hurt, no new trailer, no screens, endure it, we all must endure it), you can easily spot the same words. ("an ancient enemy") I think it is irrefutable that Guilty Spark refers to the Flood as the ancient enemy. So Flood confirmed as main enemy again? Just bigger, (better), harder than before? Except the Halo 4 game page refers to another ancient enemy. Still easily stuff I think our hardcore fans already know and I'm just too slow to connect every piece together.

"...and the shattered remnants of the Forerunner civilization decided to leave the galaxy."
[Source: Halo Encyclopedia - The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe ; pg. 181 ; Box "Activation of the Halo Array"]

Otherwise I watched the Maw terminal again. In his monolog 343 Guilty Spark says
"Just as I finally discover that our Plan to save the Galaxy succeded, the ancient enemy is unleashed once more."
If you read the Halo 4 game page(that will hurt, no new trailer, no screens, endure it, we all must endure it), you can easily spot the same words. ("an ancient enemy") I think it is irrefutable that Guilty Spark refers to the Flood as the ancient enemy. So Flood confirmed as main enemy again? Just bigger, (better), harder than before? Except the Halo 4 game page refers to another ancient enemy. Still easily stuff I think our hardcore fans already know and I'm just too slow to connect every piece together.

Well, the enemy they teased with the concept art trailer doesn't look close to anything we've seen from the flood. So that means that either we'll see a new enemy or a very new concept of the flood.

daedalius

Precursor's bro; or THE Precursor controlling flood; but yes, I imagine we'd see very different flood, since there aren't really any humans or elites for them to make combat forms out of on the sphere

Well, the enemy they teased with the concept art trailer doesn't look close to anything we've seen from the flood. So that means that either we'll see a new enemy or a very new concept of the flood.

The Flood are a good enemy in concept just not in execution due to story reasons. Flood that behaves as intelligently as Elites and Brutes? Yes please. They'll be funto fight then so long as we get some feedback like hesitation in firing their weapons or pausing to attack when they've been nearly beaten. That is, not bullet sponges.

Tawpgun

The Flood are a good enemy in concept just not in execution due to story reasons. Flood that behaves as intelligently as Elites and Brutes? Yes please. They'll be funto fight then so long as we get some feedback like hesitation in firing their weapons or pausing to attack when they've been nearly beaten. That is, not bullet sponges.

Could do dismemberment, at least for some forms.

Chip away at flesh to reveal the infection form controlling it.

The Concept enemy seems to have some machinery in it. Perhaps flood will build their own power armor or something.

Also, sort of off-topic, but I thought of the greatest enemy idea for Halo.

What would it be like if you fought an enemy that is just as skilled as you.

The elites are about as strong, but the AI makes them cakewalk. What if a certain elite-like unit had a much more aggressive and advanced AI. One that would seek cover more intelligently, use all the abilities in the game, flank, and have near perfect aim. Would this be possible given current AI abilities?

Yeah, I was thinking about something like this. If there is flood in Halo 4, we have to consider what species they use as host. If I'm correct, the flood take over his victims thoughts and can use them. So if they'd have a highly intelligent host, far above human or eltie levels, there could be some very interesting scenarios with that.

But I'd rather see 343 using a new enemy as the main bad-guy. It would be a better way to start off the new trilogy in my opinion.

Could do dismemberment, at least for some forms.

Chip away at flesh to reveal the infection form controlling it.

The Concept enemy seems to have some machinery in it. Perhaps flood will build their own power armor or something.

Also, sort of off-topic, but I thought of the greatest enemy idea for Halo.

The elites are about as strong, but the AI makes them cakewalk. What if a certain elite-like unit had a much more aggressive and advanced AI. One that would seek cover more intelligently, use all the abilities in the game, flank, and have near perfect aim. Would this be possible given current AI abilities?

I remember hearing how they had to make marines even dumber back in Halo 3 as they'd easily destroy a Scarab on their own.
I don't see why this kind of "super deadly AI" would not be possible.

Try to program such an AI. It isn't that easy as it sounds.

FyreWulff

I remember hearing how they had to make marines even dumber back in Halo 3 as they'd easily destroy a Scarab on their own.
I don't see why this kind of "super deadly AI" would not be possible.

"Clever Girl" skull : makes the AI become gods.

Also applies to the enemy AI and turns them all into jackal snipers.

Karl2177

Shoot the gun?

Last dude had partial Halo Honour(r). He stayed in after his teammates quit, but he went afk after a while. I went up to him, and it took 4 melees.

The Legendary Reach Elite AI was what you mentioned. The big problem with that is that they basically cheat to get their kills.

Top Bottom