• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Karl2177

This is something I've always wondered, but why do people hate Last Resort so much? I honestly don't remember Zanzibar that well, so I can't really compare the two.
I liked the addition of the walkway between Froman and the base. I somewhat liked the new base, but I agree that it was too open. If there were more crates and such, and the walkways actually went somewhere in it, it would be better. Also, the equipment and the Laser ruined the sandbox element of it.

FyreWulff

My complains of Last Resort are two things:

* Dead space out on the beach. Never really gets used.

* Horrible horrible spawns for the beach team in objectives. Teams could get up on the seawall and mercilessly spawncamp you because they were up out of range of the respawn points.

If the map ever comes back it needs to be made more functional in all of it's space, and also come up with a better idea for the beach spawn. Maybe add some Certain Affinity-style tunnels that go from the back beach spawns up to Froman.

Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone. Mexicola for everybody!

Karl2177

My complains of Last Resort are two things:

* Dead space out on the beach. Never really gets used.

* Horrible horrible spawns for the beach team in objectives. Teams could get up on the seawall and mercilessly spawncamp you because they were up out of range of the respawn points.

If the map ever comes back it needs to be made more functional in all of it's space, and also come up with a better idea for the beach spawn. Maybe add some Certain Affinity-style tunnels that go from the back beach spawns up to Froman.

Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone. Mexicola for everybody!

http://i.imgur.com/GDGaOl.jpg

If I was blue team, I used the snot out of the water. Example A.

Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone.

indeed

agNRZ.gif

I like Last Resort but I can't argue about the wasted space. That defense room was pretty weird. The entire structure was made to be camped in Slayer games.

Of the maps that shipped on the Halo 3 disc it's definitely in my top 5.

Striker

I like Last Resort but I can't argue about the wasted space. That defense room was pretty weird. The entire structure was made to be camped in Slayer games.

Of the maps that shipped on the Halo 3 disc it's definitely in my top 5.
It sure is, but that's just dictating how poor the launch maps were.

wwm0nkey

One thing I hope for in Halo 4 is not only good maps but good weapon placement too. That has been a problem in the last 2 Halo games.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
This is something I've always wondered, but why do people hate Last Resort so much? I honestly don't remember Zanzibar that well, so I can't really compare the two.

Spartan Laser and horrid spawns ruined it, although, when our usual group would roll BTB and get a one-sided objective on Last Resort, it was always fun because we'd all set up on C wall and completely lock the other team into an endless spawn trap. :p

One thing I hope for in Halo 4 is not only good maps but good weapon placement too. That has been a problem in the last 2 Halo games.

You have the been the problem with the last 2 halo games!.

Honestly i dont think weapon placement is too much of an issue, Halo 2 didnt have great weapon placement and that and 3 for the most part played fine.

HaloCharts has gone? Why didnt you tell me gaf.

Spartan Laser and horrid spawns ruined it, although, when our usual group would roll BTB and get a one-sided objective on Last Resort, it was always fun because we'd all set up on C wall and completely lock the other team into an endless spawn trap. :p

If you were quick you could grab a power drainer get up on the Sea Wall and stop them from getting territory 1 and net a nice multikill at the same time.

I actually just mentioned this OK so you have this HUGE Ridgeline or whatever the map is called. That new one with all the trees, the wannabe Valhalla.

Anyways you got Shotgun up top in base.

At least make them WORK for that shit. Put it outside somewhere in the middle off to the sides. Think about how powerful that pickup becomes with the fact you can only get up top from a ridge in the front or from lifts. Yet you just GIVE them shotgun RIGHT THERE.

Stupid, stupid, stupid fucking placement. I stole their Snipe and sat up top their base whenever they would attempt to take me out I just whipped out that shotty and used it as they went up lift.

I only got tooken down because eventually three spawned behind me up top as I was looking out at other people to Snipe.

Such a stupid fucking situation but you should at least have to earn that shotgun in that position.

Let alone its just an easy camping strat when you have objectives over in the bases.

Then you have two snipes on each side, so it just becomes a couple good players sitting back picking off all the bad kids who rush forward.

Sorry but think of how the weapons will effect the gameplay.

kylej

Banned
Such a stupid fucking situation but you should at least have to earn that shotgun in that position.

Let alone its just an easy camping strat when you have objectives over in the bases.

Then you have two snipes on each side, so it just becomes a couple good players sitting back picking off all the bad kids who rush forward.

expecting the people in charge of halo matchmaking to play Halo and possess critical thinking skills

llllllllllllllllllllloooooollllllllllllllllllllllll

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just matched with Poon. Pretty crazy. He quit out in the first minute though because one of our guys wasn't playing :(

I actually just mentioned this OK so you have this HUGE Ridgeline or whatever the map is called. That new one with all the trees, the wannabe Valhalla.

Anyways you got Shotgun up top in base.

At least make them WORK for that shit. Put it outside somewhere in the middle off to the sides. Think about how powerful that pickup becomes with the fact you can only get up top from a ridge in the front or from lifts. Yet you just GIVE them shotgun RIGHT THERE.

Stupid, stupid, stupid fucking placement. I stole their Snipe and sat up top their base whenever they would attempt to take me out I just whipped out that shotty and used it as they went up lift.

I only got tooken down because eventually three spawned behind me up top as I was looking out at other people to Snipe.

Even if they don't want to experiment with the weapon placement, they should change the respawn time at least. Yesterday I played a TS match on Battle Canyon with thezerofire, there were 3 swords on the map after awhile. wtf.

wwm0nkey

You have the been the problem with the last 2 halo games!.

Honestly i dont think weapon placement is too much of an issue, Halo 2 didnt have great weapon placement and that and 3 for the most part played fine.

There is an extra the in there :p

but weapon layout determines how the map plays out and where people go for what, good weapon layout is very important.

FyreWulff

There is an extra the in there :p

but weapon layout determines how the map plays out and where people go for what, good weapon layout is very important.

I'm trying to avoid writing technical post anymore but there's 3 main components I see in good map weapon layouts and while planning my own or critiquing community maps:

1) Power weapons work best when there's a resupply loop (you have to go secure them, then have to leave base to resupply) when using them from your base.

2) Ranged weapons should be on the bottom of a map, never on the top (if it has noticable verticality). People should need to come down from their perch to resupply their ranged weapons.

3) Power weapons should never spawn near or in the ideal place to use them.

It does get a bit weird when you port up maps from games that had weapon ammo to 3 and Reach that don't have separate collectible ammo, but it generally holds.

You may note that the default version of Highlands broke all 3 and then didn't even have the courtesy to leave a "We're sorry" card.

wwm0nkey

I do miss the ammo boxes from the previous titles, have no idea why that was ever taken out.

I do find it funny that modders found the rocket crates and needler pods and where able to put them into maps easily though.

wwm0nkey

don't forget that camo comes up every 30 seconds on Last Resort

speaking of camo I really wish stuff like that would be on map rather than spawning with it. Loved going to active camo and overshield but now they just give you a shitty version of camo and a invincible version of OS.

I actually think thats why I liked equipment, because they where one time use map pick ups.

I'm going to have a hell of a busy day tomorrow and tomorrow night so I just want to wish HaloGaf a Merry Christmas! Do they play that really cheesy, old Budweiser advert in the US still?

Striker

speaking of camo I really wish stuff like that would be on map rather than spawning with it. Loved going to active camo and overshield but now they just give you a shitty version of camo and a invincible version of OS.

I actually think thats why I liked equipment, because they where one time use map pick ups.
In Last Resort at one point they had 2x bubble shields, 1 power drainer, 1 grav lift, 1 radar jammer, and one Camo. None of these were fought over because they were essentially handed to you like candy.

Perhaps a decent idea, but poor implementation.

Any Custom Wristband Website Online. Is where you get them.

Mine says "Dongtime"

Good to know. When CNN.com runs the headline "Man Involved in Altercation Over Misunderstood Wristband" I won't have to read the article.

EDIT for halo content:

That's gotta be a Halo 4 reference. He wouldn't have a wristband made that references something that takes up under 10 pages worth of Glasslands right?

FyreWulff

So, someone jacked a gamertag that my Paypal was linked to and charged 125$ of MSPoints to it and spent it on GoD and XBLA titles.

I'm pretty sure the charges will be reversed and all that but I didn't really need shit like that two days before christmas. Ugh.

I'm trying to distract myself by making a map with a Forerunner christmas tree on it.

Top Bottom