• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

kylej

Banned
You guys watching Giantbomb's Game of the Year 2011 recaps?

MWM2d.png

VINNY IS LOOKING INTO YOUR SOUL

Got a Roku XD from my dad for Christmas. Giant Bomb on my TV. So good.

343i should hire this BOSS NASTi guy:

Why Would A Sponsor, Private Investor, or etc Consider Sponsoring or Funding Me?

I am able to offer something that no one else can at this moment in time. What I can offer is something so much more than what already exists. I can offer Evolution & Opportunities. I'm someone who can literally turn anything that I touch into Gold. Whether it be Competitive Gaming Sites, Game Stores, Gaming Magazines, Game Development, LAN Centers, Pro Gaming Leagues, Professional Commentating, Professional Coaching, & much more. I literally am 1 of, if not the Foremost Knowledgeable & Experienced individual in Gaming that has the ability to Revolutionize the Gaming Industry in anything & everything that has to do with it.

Why Sponsor a Coach over a Team?

The reason why you would Sponsor me as a Coach is because I'm someone who can Guarantee that I can take any team(preferably a Pure Amateur Team) & turn them into a #1 Contending Team within 3-6 Months for any Shooter or Strategy Game.
http://www.outplayedyou.com/whywouldyousponsorme.htm

lol. Halo 4 can be gold, if you hire him!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oh please. I haven't been one of the people complaining about it, but what have people said to make you think that's the reason?

Because I read and agree with the complaints that
Halsey is targeted, that the rest of ONI is practically glorified and her demonised.

BTW, the woman comment I made is actually a reference to some criticism I've read that criticised the author's sex and blamed it for things the person didn't like in the book.

I understand the criticism, even if I don't agree with some of it, but attacking the author's gender is pretty pathetic and unjustified.

The story is told from multiple biased perspectives. It's a different take from the established and accept view that Halsey is a person to praise. And ONI manipulating public opinion to tar and figure one particular person to deflect attention and criticism from the involvement of others? Par for the course.

Parangosky very publicly admitted her own involvement and wrong doings regarding the Spartan programs. She knew her position was untenable when she made it public and made sure it happened together with her retirement. Couple that with a "full disclosure" on the program and then pretending Halsey had gone further in secret with the illegal flash cloning, would easily sway outrage towards the dead woman who couldn't defend herself.

Halsey was demonised because Parangosky manipulated certain people to think that way. It's biased because there are plenty of people that don't see Halsey that way and none of the perspectives gives us a chance to see them. However they have been present in other books - it's not difficult to find people on Halsey's "side".

Parangosky was very thorough. She turned public opnion against Halsey. Managed to manipulate some of the surviving Spartans into reassess how her they see her. She's destroyed her reputation and her career. And killed her, in a fashion.

Now, having said that, the humans have an expression for this kind of situation...

I understand the criticism, even if I don't agree with some of it, but attacking the author's gender is pretty pathetic and unjustified.
In 100% agreement with that. Fools will be fools.

However my issues with the portrayal of Halsey goes beyond
Paran's manoeuvring. Halsey's own chapters seems to portray her as intelligent but extremely cocky even when she's wrong/unsure, where in previous books when she didn't know what she was doing she'd simply say it in a cocky way of "Well if I don't know what this Forerunner tech is or how to use it, how could I?"
Similarly, she's portrayed as rather frayed & on edge, which there was very little/practically none of in previous titles from what I remember.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
In 100% agreement with that. Fools will be fools.

However my issues with the portrayal of Halsey goes beyond
Paran's manoeuvring. Halsey's own chapters seems to portray her as intelligent but extremely cocky even when she's wrong/unsure, where in previous books when she didn't know what she was doing she'd simply say it in a cocky way of "Well if I don't know what this Forerunner tech is or how to use it, how could I?"
Similarly, she's portrayed as rather frayed & on edge, which there was very little/practically none of in previous titles from what I remember.

I remember that in Ghosts Halsey was suffering from guilt for her actions and consequences. So much so at the height of the war, she not only abandoned her work and her position but she attempted to kidnap as many of the remaining Spartans as she could whilst they were on duty. Spartans in their full, almost priceless armour. It's as if she stole an entire fleet of ships that were supposed to defend our species's survival for her own selfish purposes and guilt trip. For that act alone she is a war criminal.

A war criminal that had the most direct role in orchestrating crimes against humanity by creating flash clones of hundreds of children and of herself to cover up her selection and abduction of children and her medical experiments on them. How many children died because of her medical experiments? How many families did she ruin?

Luckily we as a species survived the war to pick up the pieces and Halsey, through sheer luck alone, was able to play a part in that survival. That doesn't justify her actions.

It's like saying the medical experiments in concentration camps were justified as some of that medical research would later be used to save many other lives. You can't change what happened and it is indeed a good thing that more lives can be saved but justice must always be sought and the criminals punished.

BTW, the woman comment I made is actually a reference to some criticism I've read that criticised the author's sex and blamed it for things the person didn't like in the book.

The story is told from multiple biased perspectives. It's a different take from the established and accept view that Halsey is a person to praise. And ONI manipulating public opinion to tar and figure one particular person to deflect attention and criticism from the involvement of others? Par for the course.

Parangosky very publicly admitted her own involvement and wrong doings regarding the Spartan programs. She knew her position was untenable when she made it public and made sure it happened together with her retirement. Couple that with a "full disclosure" on the program and then pretending Halsey had gone further in secret with the illegal flash cloning, would easily sway outrage towards the dead woman who couldn't defend herself.

Halsey was demonised because Parangosky manipulated certain people to think that way. It's biased because there are plenty of people that don't see Halsey that way and none of the perspectives gives us a chance to see them. However they have been present in other books - it's not difficult to find people on Halsey's "side".

Parangosky was very thorough. She turned public opnion against Halsey. Managed to manipulate some of the surviving Spartans into reassess how her they see her. She's destroyed her reputation and her career. And killed her, in a fashion.

Now, having said that, the humans have an expression for this kind of situation...

Even Mendez has issues with her which seem to have come out of nowhere. I do like your analysis but to me it just seems like Karen has a personal vendetta against her which transcends the opinions of Parangosky.

I also feel the Shield World plotline should have been more interesting. It feels as though the characters Karen was interested in where stuck on this weird Alien planet and so she thought of the quickest, easiest way to put them into position onto her chess board rather than fulfil the actual story.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Even Mendez has issues with her which seem to have come out of nowhere. I do like your analysis but to me it just seems like Karen has a personal vendetta against her which transcends the opinions of Parangosky.

I also feel the Shield World plotline should have been more interesting. It feels as though the characters Karen was interested in where stuck on this weird Alien planet and so she thought of the quickest, easiest way to put them into position onto her chess board rather than fulfil the actual story.

I remember what KT said about how 343 worked with her. They essentially explained the universe at the start of the novel and gave her a framework to fit the story inside. I'm pretty sure the state of universe at the end of the book and the start of the book were out of her control. Whether you liked how she decided to get from A to B is up to you.

I do think that the Onyx situation warranted it's own novel and full exploration of the characters in that situation and that just wasn't possible with Glasslands. I am more than happy with how the Oynx situation was handled, with a few notable exceptions.

It's like saying the medical experiments in concentration camps were justified as some of that medical research would later be used to save many other lives. You can't change what happened and it is indeed a good thing that more lives can be saved but justice must always be sought and the criminals punished.
Woah woah woah, I agree.
All I'm saying is that she feels inconsistent with how she was in previous titles.

It's a less extreme version of the Forerunner art in Anniversary.

Trey

I really enjoyed the Uncharted series a lot but never replayed any of them, kinda weird.

The gameplay has no depth and you've already experienced the "wtf" moments. That's what Uncharted is: a pretty to look at, high octane experience strung together with barely passable gameplay segments which are borrowed from, and executed better, in a variety of different games. Since you've experienced that "wow" factor, there's little else to warrant a playthrough.

Re: Halsey

I had no problems with how Traviss handled the Halsey morality/perspective/propaganda issue other than that it was drawn out, took up words from more interesting plot strands, and didn't even offer a new wrinkle or dynamic to the dynamic as a whole. It's basically the exact same discussion, except from the other side of the fence. Which is quite boring because there is very little feedback or character growth...at the end of the book we just know which side everyone falls on. So characters are defined almost exclusively by how they react (which isn't much to go on, either, in that regard) to the S2 project, while ignorantly skating over certain factors that contribute to the issue, and in the process not giving the reader anything to consider other than their stance.

Which is why to many fans Glasslands seemed like an unwarranted attack on a character, with no reasonable respite. And the attacks weren't even poignant or interesting, in and of themselves, so the entire endeavor was flat out boring.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Anyone know when exactly PAX Prime '12 is going to happen? I'm considering going again this year provded I know when it starts and if I can plan all the logistics early.

Went out and got a new Xbox. The slim is really nice. Got a good deal with it too – three months of gold, a download code for the full Reach game, and Fable 3. Plus a $75 gift card to Best Buy.

I'll be giving away the Reach game I got.

The downside? The console doesn't come with its own transfer cable, so now I have to go back out and buy one. I have one, but it's all the way back in Wilmington – a two hour drive. Gr...

Went out and got a new Xbox. The slim is really nice. Got a good deal with it too – three months of gold, a download code for the full Reach game, and Fable 3. Plus a $75 gift card to Best Buy.

The downside? The console doesn't come with its own transfer cable, so now I have to go back out and buy one. I have one, but it's all the way back in Wilmington – a two hour drive. Gr...

Why not using a USB stick to transfer your account and the data? Don't you have one?

Attempted to photoshop Greenberg's head on Victory Baby in response to this, but the results were disturbing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hit chapter 12 of Cryptum. Finally really enjoying it. Takes a while to get going, but I am really liking the characters and unraveling mystery right now.

Hartt951

I have a code for a free Halo:Reach Games on Demand download that I never used from the preview beta awhile back. I have the email just sitting there, but dont want to use the code so if anyone wants it, shoot me a PM. First person to do so will get it.

EDIT: Code is gone.

Because that would take too long, and I said, the other Xbox is broken. I can't exactly use a USB to transfer data when I can't see what data I'm transferring.

Just use the USB to transfer saves you want and redownload DLC, games etc from your download history.

You can also transfer your licenses to your new Xbox right from the Xbox now. Nifty little feature.

Booshka

dat international interaction!!!

The whole, "Play with Gamers across the World!" bullshit that Microsoft has been touting since XBL's inception is nonsense. I don't want to play with people with connections over 150 ping. I wish I could pick which region to play in, it would be the Continental US, and US West specifically almost all the time. Also, just show me the damn ping of the people in the game or game I am about to join instead of the colored bars that aren't consistent across all games and don't tell you enough. It's all ambiguous to hide how laggy games really are.

Just use the USB to transfer saves you want and redownload DLC, games etc from your download history.

You can also transfer your licenses to your new Xbox right from the Xbox now. Nifty little feature.
I cannot see what data I'm transferring because my older Xbox doesn't show video. It's broken. I can't use a USB because I don't have another Xbox on which to use the hard drive and that will show video. I can't stick the USB into my older Xbox and transfer data when I can't select the data I want to transfer.

I appreciate the help you guys. I already went out and bought one anyway.

FyreWulff

Got the most bullshit betrayal ever. Naded an opposing warthog, it came down and splattered a dude. My fault, got booted. Fuck this game.

Yeah, sometimes it's slightly wrong with figuring out who to blame for splatters. That sucks.

Reminds me of the ability for people to force you to betray them in Halo 3 and boot you.

I cannot see what data I'm transferring because my older Xbox doesn't show video. It's broken. I can't use a USB because I don't have another Xbox on which to use the hard drive and that will show video. I can't stick the USB into my older Xbox and transfer data when I can't select the data I want to transfer.

I appreciate the help you guys. I already went out and bought one anyway.
pop the og hdd out of its shell
slide in slim
copy data to USB stick
put new hdd back in
copy data from usb to new hdd

Top Bottom