• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Ken

Devolution said:
Now, you done or what?

computer-out-window.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Ramirez said:
Because so many better games came out.

Personally I don't think 1800 posts in 6 days since the start of our 7th OT is slow but that's just me. Speaking of good games though. Is anyone else shocked that we're actually getting a good sonic game for the first time in many many years? Sadly I have to wait awhile to get it but I'm so buying that game.

Ramirez

PsychoRaven said:
Personally I don't think 1800 posts in 6 days since the start of our 7th OT is slow but that's just me.

Take away the stupid posts and you're probably left with about 200, all dealing with Glasslands.

Devolution said:
Play other games? You crazy?

So good. (BF)

TrounceX said:
And I've been playing the TU playlist a ton actually. I have like 4,000 kills and a 2.6 K/D. It's slightly better than default Reach but the armor abilities and stupid game type selection are holding it back.

Right.

And movement is still slow, and grav is still high. So how much fun do you think people are going to have? Why troll right off the bat when you're well aware of the TU's issues. This is why you frustrate me.

wwm0nkey

I really hope when the Zero Bloom playlist goes live on the 15th they have a "Zero Bloom Pro" gametype that is just the GAFv2 gametype.

Oh also I still wonder if the CEA legendary ending is going to be the same ending as it was or if they replaced it with something new.

orznge

Banned
TrounceX said:
It's whatever though. I understand that many of you had pent up frustration from my adamant defense of the bloom and just needed an excuse to take the intellectual high ground to make themselves feel better.

haha yeah I'm so above it all, you guys just can't deal with my cold, hard logic *spazzes fingers around like I'm being shocked with 10,000 volts to perform a mystical technique to deal with one of the many disastrous design decisions that plague this game*

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
Oh also I still wonder if the CEA legendary ending is going to be the same ending as it was or if they replaced it with something new.

Call it a hunch but i would bet that would be left alone. After all it's iconic. Who hasn't seen that ending?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
If I had a nickle for every troll who keeps talking out of their ass about how the anti-bloom crowd prophesied no bloom as the salve that would save Reach, I'd be drowning in coins. Also never mind that the mobility, gravity, maps, and gametypes in the TU have gone unchanged. No one here was deluded enough to think ZB would fix Reach, but we had some much more competitive customs with it, that's for sure. And we could discuss issues such as lack of shield warning on headshot bleedthroughs, player mobility and how to readjust the settings to help these issues.

There's no need to come in here with "haha so you don't like ZB eh?" When the answer is that ZB was never going to fix other persistent issues we never denied in the first place.

Now, you done or what?
This post makes me happy.

s5yH5.gif

Ken said:
http://www.nsrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/computer-out-window.jpg
Hahaha, I laughed hard.

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
I really hope when the Zero Bloom playlist goes live on the 15th they have a "Zero Bloom Pro" gametype that is just the GAFv2 gametype.

I really enjoyed the Anniversary gametypes at PAX, it still had bloom, but I swear the movement and jumping seemed to be different, coulda been my imagination. I just know I wasn't super down on Halo at that event, coulda been the great maps as well, who knows.

Ramirez said:
I really enjoyed the Anniversary gametypes at PAX, it still had bloom, but I swear the movement and jumping seemed to be different, coulda been my imagination. I just know I wasn't super down on Halo at that event, coulda been the great maps as well, who knows.

The settings in customs made juking possible, toned down nades, and certain jumps possible, it was quite balanced. ZB without any sort of sped up movement, higher jump and nade damage diffusion is fucking terrible.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
The settings in customs made juking possible, toned down nades, and certain jumps possible, it was quite balanced. ZB without any sort of sped up movement, higher jump and nade damage diffusion is fucking terrible.
Yeah I mean I have to be perfectly honest when I say the only reason I havent really been playing Reach at all is because after playing customs with you guys with the GAF settings was amazing and everything in the game is now kind of "meh" to me.

Oh well Battlefield 3 is keeping pretty occupied very nicely until the 15th but I wish I could be playing Battlefield and Halo but Halo is giving me no reason to come back right now.

Slightly Live said:
The GAF Customs gametype was just.. odd. Movement just felt off. It was too fast. Didn't feel like any past Halo multiplayer one bit. I couldn't shake the "ice rink" feeling at all.
See now I have heard that complaint before but I don't think it feels like ice skating at all.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:

The GAF Customs gametype was just.. odd. Movement just felt off. It was too fast. Didn't feel like any past Halo multiplayer one bit. I couldn't shake the "ice rink" feeling at all.

Slightly Live said:

I didn't get the ice rink feeling at all but there was no happy medium given the increments used in the settings. Eh customs felt more like h2 to me than vanilla Reach does. I stand by my opinion that ZB is an improvement but without better mobility it's almost futile.

feel

I'd rather have that very slight iceskating feel than shitslow movement speed.
TrounceX said:
Unless, don't tell me. HaloGAF doesn't like ZB after all and instead realized that bloom wasn't even the main issue with Reach?
Shake Appeal's alt discovered..

TrounceX said:

Yeah we actually had the 4 shot one for a while but with the Reach shield set up the way it is, the bleed throughs were making it so people were unaware they were one shot away from death. =/ So we changed that.

KevinRo

Slightly Live said:

That's interesting. I've only felt that 'skating on ice' feeling whenever I'm playing on a really bad tv with a bad refresh rate. I also had that feeling when I first played Halo1. Weird, you're the only person that I've seen describe playing anything halo related like that other than myself

So people are coming back, because there are rumours that people get early CEA codes?
People at Twitter can't realize irony and fun. lol at HaloWaypoint's response.(It was you David, right?)

Striker

Ramirez said:
Take away the stupid posts and you're probably left with about 200, all dealing with Glasslands.
All Halo threads are gonna end up that way.

About this stage in Halo 3's life cycle in GAF, it was either two things: 1) bitch about playlist decisions or lack thereof, 2) stupid arguments over AR/BR or other game related complaints (maps, for one).

I mean, after the campaign freshness wears off, that's what it boils down to. I expect Halo 4 threads to remain the same.

Louis Wu

Devolution said:
Right.

And movement is still slow, and grav is still high. So how much fun do you think people are going to have?
A lot, actually.

I played for 6 hours or so yesterday. Enjoyed the vast majority of it.

This community tends to overstate dissatisfaction more than most I'm a part of, so I just wanted to be sure that there was at least ONE voice still expressing the viewpoint that Reach isn't a steaming pile of shit. :)

Louis Wu said:
A lot, actually.

This community tends to overstate dissatisfaction more than most I'm a part of, so I just wanted to be sure that there was at least ONE voice still expressing the viewpoint that Reach isn't a steaming pile of shit. :)
I too still enjoy playing Reach most of the time. Sometimes, it can be very bad but the people I play with make up for it.

All I know is that I put the game down in September and won't be picking it up till the 15th, with a timed evaluation.
Was forcing myself to play despite my lack of enjoyment because
A) It's Halo
B) Playing with HaloGAF.

Especially when my game time is as small as it is with college, work and relationships.

TrounceX said:
There we go!

Hahaha

So why is this thread so slow these days? Shouldn't you guys be playing 24/7 now that there's zero bloom?

Unless, don't tell me. HaloGAF doesn't like ZB after all and instead realized that bloom wasn't even the main issue with Reach?

Zero bloom has been fine in every other Halo game. The beta playlist just didnt have good settings. Devoltion has explained why in a much better way than I can. Im waiting on the release of CEA to see if the classic ++ playlist has good settings. At this stage im not really expecting much but at least hopefully that playlist will actually have zero bloom more often, a better movement speed and no AA's.

Striker said:
All Halo threads are gonna end up that way.

About this stage in Halo 3's life cycle in GAF, it was either two things: 1) bitch about playlist decisions or lack thereof, 2) stupid arguments over AR/BR or other game related complaints (maps, for one).

I mean, after the campaign freshness wears off, that's what it boils down to. I expect Halo 4 threads to remain the same.

Halo 3 was still going strong at this stage in its life. Im pretty sure we were having picture stories about customs nights and so on. We had a lot of bad but we also had a lot of good and the bad was more constructive criticism more than straight bitching.

Im also pretty sure population wise a guy on HBO has been tracking the Halo 3 figures and the Reach figures. The last time I saw a few months ago... Halo 3 was beating out Reach at the same stage in its life. That said I dont know how he tracked his figures.

With this thread people have stopped even constructively bitching about Reach that's how apathetic we have all become. :p

Louis Wu said:
A lot, actually.

It isn't. The thing with Reach, more than any other Halo game previously, you have to find a niche - playlist/gametypewise - that you enjoy, and really stick to it. Reach has so many configurations and permutations of playstyle that an errant bit of straying into a playlist not usually frequented can be traumatic.

Going into Team Slayer or BTB for example (the two big ticket playlists in the previous games), I find myself asking out loud 'WTF were Bungie thinking' because I don't like AL and Banshee farming/Hemorrhage. I'm sure a lot of players like those things though judging by the populations of those playlists. The point is, as far as the actual gameplay is concerned, so long as I stick to Snipes, Multi-team and Squad, I generally have a good time in Reach.

One thing though; Reach is in an odd state of limbo and delayed transition. The TU is out there but it's not the final settings. Many regulars are delving into the recent glut of quality releases, waiting Reach out until CEA arrives with the new maps. I'm not sure about overall population in Reach during American prime time but there's definitely been a noticable drop during European hours; three to four hundred less players in Snipes at those times and it makes the trueskill even worse than it usually is. It's been said before: CEA can't come soon enough for Reach.

TheOddOne

My time is split between Reach, Forza, Gears and Clash of Heroes at the moment. Skyrim, Halo CE, Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword is gonna be on that pile too soon. So many good games coming out.

Louis Wu

thee henery said:
Going into Team Slayer or BTB for example (the two big ticket playlists in the previous games), I find myself asking out loud 'WTF were Bungie thinking' because I don't like AL and Banshee farming/Hemorrhage.
I stay away from BTB unless I've got a full team - but these days, I'm actually enjoying TS. Occasionally, I run into an Armor-Locker who's really good at it, and I come away frustrated - but for every one of those guys, I find 10 that simply have no clue how to use that AA, or are part of a team that don't actually USE their teammate's AL to their advantage. (Heh - game on Sword Base a couple of days ago - guy gets the drop on me near Sword spawn, when I shoot back he ducks into those little alcoves to avoid fire. My teammate armor locks in front of him, trapping him in the alcove - and I drop a grenade on the ground. The only one who dies is the non-armor-locked trapped guy. :) )

I don't get a lot of perfections - but the ones I do get are mostly in Team Slayer. :)

Louis Wu said:
I stay away from BTB unless I've got a full team - but these days, I'm actually enjoying TS. Occasionally, I run into an Armor-Locker who's really good at it, and I come away frustrated - but for every one of those guys, I find 10 that simply have no clue how to use that AA, or are part of a team that don't actually USE their teammate's AL to their advantage. (Heh - game on Sword Base a couple of days ago - guy gets the drop on me near Sword spawn, when I shoot back he ducks into those little alcoves to avoid fire. My teammate armor locks in front of him, trapping him in the alcove - and I drop a grenade on the ground. The only one who dies is the non-armor-locked trapped guy. :) )

I don't get a lot of perfections - but the ones I do get are mostly in Team Slayer. :)
I usually move between Invasion and BTB, always alone.
My only problem with Invasion is the lack of maps, hopefully CC solve this problem ;), I already have some ideas for Timberland and Headlong. No Forge World maps please.

Personally, I am happy to see Trounce back. It's good to see people who enjoy Reach posting in a Halo: Reach thread once in a while :p I am by no means suggesting that Reach is a perfect game, but it is a great deal of fun for me.

I also think it's a bit silly to say you all knew from the start that 'no bloom' settings wouldn't fix Reach. You guys were so adamant that the CORE issue with Reach was this random method of giving/taking headshots. You guys campaigned soooo hard for no bloom and now that it's here, suddenly it's only a 'small step' towards making reach playable again. I know I was hoping for capped RoFs if bloom was to be removed and the problems I have with ZB are now there without them.

ZB or 85%, AAs or not, this game is still incredibly enjoyable for me and the Gaffers I play with whenever I do end up playing. I personally respect the likes of Zayne and Zeouter who consciously acknowledge that this game isn't fun for them so they simply do not play. I simply cannot understand the mentality that quite a lot of people have in here that really do not enjoy this game, and yet still play it quite regularly. I know there is a social aspect to wanting to play but that can't be the only reason to still play... right?

Havok said:
A bunch of brainwashed supersoldiers that have no idea the trauma that she caused to their families and don't have any context to see how monumental the atrocities she committed were aren't the most persuasive bunch. Look at Naomi, who worshiped Halsey - she learned exactly what Halsey thought of them, what she did to her family, as Halsey wrote her journal and grew to despise her. A group of people that don't have that information aren't a good source, they're just ignorant of why she's the bad guy here.
This doesn't make any sense to me.
They're not there to persuade, merely to highlight that without Hasley, humanity would be extinct right now in the Halo universe. We got to read Halsey's journal with the Reach Limited and Legendary editions and it by no means gave us any indication that Halsey didn't care about the Spartans. She does. She cares about each and every one of them no matter what her journal says. That's something Naomi doesn't realize, or seems to have forgotten. Fred, Kelly, and Linda probably don't care about that. Brainwashed or no, they do recognize she cares about them.

Hydranockz said:
Personally, I am happy to see Trounce back. It's good to see people who enjoy Reach posting in a Halo: Reach thread once in a while :p I am by no means suggesting that Reach is a perfect game, but it is a great deal of fun for me.

I also think it's a bit silly to say you all knew from the start that 'no bloom' settings wouldn't fix Reach. You guys were so adamant that the CORE issue with Reach was this random method of giving/taking headshots. You guys campaigned soooo hard for no bloom and now that it's here, suddenly it's only a 'small step' towards making reach playable again. I know I was hoping for capped RoFs if bloom was to be removed and the problems I have with ZB are now there without them.

ZB or 85%, AAs or not, this game is still incredibly enjoyable for me and the Gaffers I play with whenever I do end up playing. I personally respect the likes of Zayne and Zeouter who consciously acknowledge that this game isn't fun for them so they simply do not play. I simply cannot understand the mentality that quite a lot of people have in here that really do not enjoy this game, and yet still play it quite regularly. I know there is a social aspect to wanting to play but that can't be the only reason to still play... right?

I said a few times before the TU that if they implement no bloom but don't implement a RoF it could be just as bad as having bloom. I cant speak for everyone but im pretty sure most people assumed that they would put in a decent RoF.

Also the Gaf custom settings were actually pretty fun. The TU beta playlist isnt. :/ Throwing in no bloom, giving us no RoF and then making us move like tortious isnt exactly a recipe for good gameplay.

I haven't played Reach very consistently for a long time, so I cant answer your second point. I hate to admit it but towards the end I was only playing Reach for Cr, I dont even know why I cared about the Cr at that point.

Oddly im pretty damn excited for the new maps. I really hope the Classic ++ settings are good! The fact that im making time for Reach during like the snowfall of amazing games means that it cant be all bad.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Halo 3 was still going strong at this stage in its life. Im pretty sure we were having picture stories about customs nights and so on. We had a lot of bad but we also had a lot of good and the bad was more constructive criticism more than straight bitching.

Im also pretty sure population wise a guy on HBO has been tracking the Halo 3 figures and the Reach figures. The last time I saw a few months ago... Halo 3 was beating out Reach at the same stage in its life. That said I dont know how he tracked his figures.

With this thread people have stopped even constructively bitching about Reach that's how apathetic we have all become. :p
Bitching is bitching. People don't say "Why is evade still in MP?" because they just hate it and are venting. They want it removed. All the same for the Halo 3 when people were complaining.

Also the HaloGAF community has vastly changed from the what it was at August in 2007 as what it is today, at least population wise. Then it was actually, to an extent, about posting why a certain thing is bad, but now it's a short page with a lol-gif or "lol welcome to reach brah". There's no discussion, or an effort to try.

Striker said:
Bitching is bitching. People don't say "Why is evade still in MP?" because they just hate it and are venting. They want it removed. All the same for the Halo 3 when people were complaining.

Also the HaloGAF community has vastly changed from the what it was at August in 2007 as what it is today, at least population wise. Then it was actually, to an extent, about posting why a certain thing is bad, but now it's a short page with a lol-gif or "lol welcome to reach brah". There's no discussion, or an effort to try.

Woah I disagree. People have literally written Dissertations about the issues. Those lengthy write ups can be seen in the beta thread and the first few Reach threads. People put in a huge amount of effort. As time went on and the issues remained the same its more like: go see the beta thread to see my massive write up because I cant be arsed repeating myself. So I will just put a silly lol-gif instead.

My point is with Halo 3 despite the complaining there were also loads of positive posts. With Reach people seem to have given up with it.

Striker said:

Do you really want me to explain why evade in spartans is broken? :lol

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
A lot, actually.

You're not alone here when you say that the game is a damn good game. While I have my nitpicks with it but if I have a choice between it and any other shooter, I tend to be playing it. I just play so many types of games that I don't get to play it as much as I'd like. If it's not that then it's watching my Stars Hockey that gets in the way. lol

But anyway yea. I'm with you and the game is a hell of a lot better then most here think.

Striker

Gabotron ES said:
Do you really want me to explain why evade in spartans is broken? :lol
Just watching somebody use it during gameplay is self-explanatory. A bit unfortunate they haven't touched things liike that but will remove a map like Cliffhanger, which, while not a strong map, wasn't ruining the gameplay.

P.S. If you're going to remove a map, feel free to get rid of Enclosed which can still be escaped, and is terribly designed to begin with.

Louis Wu said:
A lot, actually.

I think most of that can be chalked up to hyperbole and posting style. Many of the verbally caustic critics here have played far more than the average player, so they enjoy it at some level, and the fact that they're talking about it continually shows that they care. It certainly doesn't excuse the rhetoric, but it does explain the dissonance.

I too have enjoyed Reach (from a raw statistical perspective) for more time than the previous games. Whether it's the UI, the hit detection, the accuracy of the pistol or DMR (at zero bloom), or the outstanding player feedback system, much of it feels improved over previous entries. I miss playing Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3, because great elements of each one of those games have been lost along the way, but Reach is a fun game, and definitely the most Halo-like and worth playing in the current landscape of console shooters.

Hey You

Gabotron ES said:
I usually move between Invasion and BTB, always alone.
My only problem with Invasion is the lack of maps, hopefully CC solve this problem ;), I already have some ideas for Timberland and Headlong. No Forge World maps please.
Hell, I'll even take some Forge World Invasion Maps right about now.

wwm0nkey said:
Not you too Frankie :(

HaloGAF |OT| Check Your PMs
You know that he is the creator of the "Check Your PMs" meme together with Tunavi?

So where is the Plywoods get early CEA code meme? He posted 11minutes ago. HaloGAF I'm disappointed.

KevinRo

kylej said:
gonna dong around 12:30 or 1pm est

I'm getting on now. My first couple games sucked yesterday, but I ended up having a T04. Ah, how good it feels to play with people who communicate.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
You know that he is the creator of the "Check Your PMs" meme together with Tunavi?

So where is the Plywoods get early CEA code meme? He posted 11minutes ago. HaloGAF I'm disappointed.
Honestly I can't remember who started the Check your PMs thing lol

wwm0nkey said:
Honestly I can't remember who started the Check your PMs thing lol
The story: Frankie posted that Tunavi should check his PMs. Everyone was jealous, because I don't know. Because Tunavi got a PM by Frankie. So everyone posted "Check your PM xy".

Top Bottom