• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Maybe you should add the Sparkast, because it contains a lot of information about Anniversary and it is an awesome podcast, too.

Sparkast | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08
Yup, thanks for those. I should have thought to, as I used to include the Bungie ones in the OT's for their games. Totally spaced it. Added now.

wwm0nkey

So it seems MW3 is having the same problem Reach did, terrible terrible maps.

Well at least they have more terrible maps I guess lol

wwm0nkey said:

Tbh I can't really ever think of a game other than halo 2 and bad company 2 ever having maps better than its predecessor.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wwm0nkey said:

yeah, thats the sound of it. i'm holding off on MW3 for a bit to see if thats truly the case, in which i'll skip it again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, what, MW3 is copying single player locales, putting a door here and there and calling it a multiplayer map too? Shameful.

FyreWulff

Perfect Dark (all the good ones from GE were in it aswell)
Timesplitters
it's a joke, because all the Timesplitters games had mostly the same map selection

Wow, these Modern Warefare 3 reviews are making me sick to my stomach.

Even though Gamespot gave it an 8.5 (best thing it should get ever imo) they made some really good points about, this is the same thing, with a couple new modes and guns.

I'm certain that as time goes on, you will see the smaller websites reviews be more negative, because they don't have anything to lose, where these other places like IGN have to suck up to them...

I even got the chance to play it today.

There is NOTHING special about this game.

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. These are actually pretty damn good. Wow. My heart leapt at the Halo 3 MP. It has been too long. SoGood.gif.

Somewhat related : A random guy in college spotted the Spartan crest on my Jacket (that came with Reach) and complimented me, before saying it was a terrible sequel to a great series. He wandered off then. It was fairly odd.

Edit: Any idea what song the second last clip belongs to? Before the announcer talks about what's in the next episode?

Rickenslacker said:
I dunno man, a lot of QWTF's maps beat a lot of what I've played in TF2, and any map remade for TF2 was originally better.
*shrug* I'd be willing to concede TF2.

op_ivy

The Real Napsta said:
Maps are complete garbage, Reach maps look good in comparison.

thanks for your impressions, but i'll wait till the game has been out a bit longer and people learn the ins and outs a bit better. i have heard that they are less vertical, an issue i had with a lot of the MW2 maps, such as favela, so theres that.

Trasher

wwm0nkey said:
Please tell me you are joking.
Yeah, I pretty much am. It's just funny that someone would base their opinion of a game based off of what they experienced while playing split-screen. If everyone did that then Halo Reach would be one of the worst games ever lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27_StarWolf said:

Even though Gamespot gave it an 8.5 (best thing it should get ever imo) they made some really good points about, this is the same thing, with a couple new modes and guns.

I'm certain that as time goes on, you will see the smaller websites reviews be more negative, because they don't have anything to lose, where these other places like IGN have to suck up to them...

Are these reviews saying there's anything special? I mean, I'm sure it's still a very fun game for a little while.

I am curious to see what the casual crowd will move on to after CoD.

op_ivy said:
thanks for your impressions, but i'll wait till the game has been out a bit longer and people learn the ins and outs a bit better. i have heard that they are less vertical, an issue i had with a lot of the MW2 maps, such as favela, so theres that.
I'm liking MW3 from the little I've played. There's more balance with the gunplay (weapon classes have a greater gap in accuracy, for example). The maps are the typical CoD affair. The Marksman perk is a little unfair. It shows enemies' names from farther away.

I'm having fun. So let the haters hate. I shall sit on my couch and appreciate.

Tashi0106 said:
Are these reviews saying there's anything special? I mean, I'm sure it's still a very fun game for a little while.

I am curious to see what the casual crowd will move on to after CoD.

Reviews are down a little bit, 90 on metacritic compared to 94 for both MW2 and MW1, but your point is very good. They don't play these games very much, play enough to review, seems fun, looks good, polish, etc, give it a good score, move on the to other games they need to be playing to preview, review, etc.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm liking MW3 from the little I've played. There's more balance with the gunplay (weapon classes have a greater gap in accuracy, for example). The maps are the typical CoD affair. The Marksman perk is a little unfair. It shows enemies' names from farther away.

Wake me when you need me
to lead the squad to glorious victory in BF3.

Steelyuhas said:
Reviews are down a little bit, 90 on metacritic compared to 94 for both MW2 and MW1, but your point is very good. They don't play these games very much, play enough to review, seems fun, looks good, polish, etc, give it a good score, move on the to other games they need to be playing to preview, review, etc.

Wake me when you need me
to lead the squad to glorious victory in BF3.

hoorah.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Still on the fence about it. As I posted in the MW3 OT:

Awesome Barlow said:
Ok so I've read through this thread...I am still on the fence about buying this. I'll probably pick it up over Black Friday if I can be convinced to buy it.

Anyways, disgruntled COD fan here. Convince to buy or not to buy.

-I loved MW1 and how every gun could be used
-I hated no scoping
-I hated MW2, WAW was ehhh, and BLOPS was ehhh
-I hated how games after COD4 were all people using AR's with the occasional SMG, noob tube, and over powered shot guns.
-Death Streaks are dumb
-The kill streaks were overpowered in MW2/BLOPS
-I'd rather not prestige (don't have time to do it over and over) but I don't want to miss out on big unlocks
-I really enjoyed MW1/MW2's campaign. BLOPS was pretty good too.
-I liked Zombies before they added all of the crazy things to it, I liked the simple mode that it was before DLC with WAW, hated it in the DLC/BLOPS (I don't know if there is any similar mode in MW3, I know there was not in MW2)
-I want to use a variety of weapons ARs, LMGs, Snipers, etc
-I want quality multiplayer maps ala MW1 not MW2,WAW,and BLOPS
-Spec Ops was fun

GAF, based on this, would I like MW3?

GT retrospective got me feeling pangs of nostalgia for Halo REACH!. The game i have now, i dont even how that works. Reminds me of all the fun times iv had in h2 h3 and reach. Quit your bitching stalkers its never all bad.

Steelyuhas said:
Eurogamer has a pretty solid review up about it. Seems like a pretty robust package if you're not tired of the COD formula yet. Time will tell how the multiplayer metagame develops and the community will make it known if the maps suck. Hard to expect those 2 things to be covered in reviews.

feel

StalkerUKCG said:
GT retrospective got me feeling pangs of nostalgia for Halo REACH!. The game i have now, i dont even how that works. Reminds me of all the fun times iv had in h2 h3 and reach. Quit your bitching stalkers its never all bad.
You need to go play a match right now, you need to snap out of it.

op_ivy

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm liking MW3 from the little I've played. There's more balance with the gunplay (weapon classes have a greater gap in accuracy, for example).

nice! thats an issue i've had as the series continued the guns began to feel the same

A27_StarWolf said:

I went into my local gamestore today. Got in line behind a bunch of kids with a MW3 box in hand. When they've paid for their games and it's my turn, I just tell the guy "I'm not here for Modern Warfare 3."

The man said "Hallelujah" a bit too loudly. :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, that list from Ubisoft isn't including Sept-Dec 2010. Reach sold 3.3 million in its first month.
Still pales in comparison to CoD though. Black Ops is probably above 25 million now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3 after 3 months of release: 4.82m units in the US.

Halo Reach after 13 months of release: 4.75m units in the US.

Discuss.

Hmm, you'd expect the install base between the release of 3 and Reach would have grown - which it did. But the Halo base between the two games appears to have shrunk.

I don't think it's shrunk by a significant amount - it's rather stagnant if anything. Considering the amount of quality rival titles, it's not too bad.

Are these numbers good? I think so, but I have no clue. How do other games compare across multiple titles on the 360?

I'd hate to be the person whose job it is to gleam real meaning from these numbers and make business decisions based on them.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:

Discuss.

Halo 3 didn't come out against 3 active multiplatform Call of Duties.

Note that those are multiplatform sales, and the top 3 games are multiplatform. Reach outsold New Super Mario Bros Wii during the same timeframe, if that chart is to be believed. And NSMB outsold Galaxy 3:1 or thereabouts, and Galaxy sold about 8-9 million, there seems to be data missing.

GhaleonEB

Lyphen said:
Well, that list from Ubisoft isn't including Sept-Dec 2010. Reach sold 3.3 million in its first month.
Still pales in comparison to CoD though. Black Ops is probably above 25 million now.
What am I missing:

"A full list of the top-selling new retail titles in the U.S. from January 2010 through September 2011."

Reach came out in that window.

At any rate - they're still good sales by any but mega-blockbuster standards. But it's clear that Halo's appeal peaked at Halo 3 and receded a bit with Reach. Curious to see how Halo 4 fares with the Chief back and all.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:

Discuss.

i'm not sure that reach was seen as the "next" halo game after 3. will be interesting to see if 4 pulls huge numbers, or, as i'm beginning to think, interest in the halo brand is waning (sadly). people these days want fps where guns kill nearly instantly, everything levels, and are generally more accessible.

Sai-kun

Banned
I hope the day never comes where Microsoft says "Well, this is the last Halo game ever because [x/y/z reason]". :( That will be a sad day.

Kujo

FyreWulff said:
Note that those are multiplatform sales, and the top 3 games are multiplatform.
Just Dance 2 is only on Wii I believe. And the 360 version of Black Ops would probably be at least 8 million. Reach still did well, but I wonder if adding a number to it would have increased sales, or if general interest is not as high anymore.

Anyone know how much Halo 2 did in US? I think I remember something like 5.7 million, and that's on a much smaller userbase.

Also I think Reach hasn't done as well outside the US this time, compared to 3 and 2.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GhaleonEB said:
What am I missing:

"A full list of the top-selling new retail titles in the U.S. from January 2010 through September 2011."

Reach came out in that window.

At any rate - they're still good sales by any but mega-blockbuster standards. But it's clear that Halo's appeal peaked at Halo 3 and receded a bit with Reach. Curious to see how Halo 4 fares with the Chief back and all.
Nobody at Gamasutra is bothering to fact check Ubisoft's press release, but Read Dead sold 8 million copies in 2010. This is likely a mislabeled list for January 2011-Sep.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
No where in my post did I reference other games. I'm talking Halo-Halo comparisons, and intentionally limited my comparison that way so as to make it, um, comparable.

CoD has almost certainly eaten into Halo's player base.

And I referenced them because it's impossible to look at sales numbers in a vacuum.

Galaxy 2 sold 3 million copies less than Galaxy 1, yet Galaxy 2 is considered by most critics as the superior game.

Is Mario on a decline, or did less people buy Galaxy 2 because the first Galaxy had the "first franchise game on the console" smell? Halo 3 also had the "sup, I'm the first 3D game of this franchise on your new console" going for it. You had a Halo game, ODST, come out just a year before Reach for full price, whereas 3 was the first new Halo title in 3 years.

The DLC scheduling also hasn't been that great to keep players engaged in the series since 3 came out. Call of Duty is constantly throwing map packs out at people and staying in the gaming public's eye. Halo releases a map pack or two early on and then takes forever to fart out new content until it's almost time for the next title to release.

GhaleonEB

Lyphen said:
Nobody at Gamasutra is bothering to fact check Ubisoft's press release, but Read Dead sold 8 million copies in 2010. This is likely a mislabeled list for January 2011-Sep.
That doesn't fit either, because there's no way Reach sold 4 million copies this year, after the holidays. For reference, Halo 3 had a larger debut and sold 127k in January 2008.

Edit: that makes sense Mojo.

FyreWulff said:
And I referenced them because it's impossible to look at sales numbers in a vacuum.
I edited that comment back out 10 minutes ago. I said "discuss", you were discussing. I disagree with your approach, but I've long since tuned out of sales age because such conversations can't ever go anywhere. (Which is why I redacted the response. Ten minutes ago.)

Kujo

Lyphen said:
That was 8 million shipped, also worldwide. These are actual sales, and US only.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mojo said:
That was 8 million shipped, also worldwide. These are actual sales, and US only.
Okay then, Black Ops sold 14 million in the US from November 2010 to March 2011.

I've got more!

It's a faulty list.

Havok

Yeah, Call of Duty happened. Additionally, there hasn't been anything close to the level of marketing for a Halo title since 3. I imagine the latter will change with 4, but the competition has never been stronger. They'll have to pull out all the stops if they want to get casual folks to use Halo in their everyday vocabulary like Modern Warfare currently is.

kylej

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Discuss.

I'm much more interested in popular opinion of the franchise post-Reach than # of units sold. Halo 3 was half-way decent so people had hope for Reach. After the abomination that is this game, I'm curious if the general public still has a desire to play Halo games, especially when their friends have probably moved to CoD and others. We'll see.

Kujo

Lyphen said:
Okay then, Black Ops sold 14 million in the US from November 2010 to March 2011.
13.7, is it possible that it sold just 1.2 million from March to September? Or maybe Ubisoft only added 360+PS3 sales for this chart. The Reach number seems like it'd be pretty accurate though.

Striker

kylej said:
I'm much more interested in popular opinion of the franchise post-Reach than # of units sold. Halo 3 was half-way decent so people had hope for Reach. After the abomination that is this game, I'm curious if the general public still has a desire to play Halo games, especially when their friends have probably moved to CoD and others. We'll see.
People moved onto CoD and other titles way before Reach came out.

Top Bottom