• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

It's pretty awesome that the maps are available as DLC on day one. I'm surprised that they're only 1200 MSP too.

That should be a pretty good boost for population, it comes off as a very good gesture to fans.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, serious playlist deja vu here. These people clearly aren't stupid, and must have some reasoning behind their playlist choices, but I just don't get it.

Edit: I wanna echo Dax and say that I appreciate the clarification, too. Yall are working your ass off to make this awesome, and that's appreciated. But some of these choices are baffling.

Ramirez

You guys know snipers on Headlong will devolve into camping inside one of the buildings all match. People sure love boring gametypes...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
1200MS for a DLC pack with six/seven maps is something I'd like to see more of in future. Seriously.

If they knock four of these out of the park in Halo 4's first year they'll win the gaming industry.

wwm0nkey

Slightly Live said:
1200MS for a DLC pack with six/seven maps is something I'd like to see more of in future. Seriously.

If they knock four of these out of the park in Halo 4's first year they'll win the gaming industry.
THIS!

ncsuDuncan said:
It's pretty awesome that the maps are available as DLC on day one. I'm surprised that they're only 1200 MSP too.

That should be a pretty good boost for population, it comes off as a very good gesture to fans.
IAWTP.

Farooq

Banned
The more I read about the anniversary playlists, the more I wish 343 just recreated Halo CE multiplayer and said a big fuck you to the Reach population.

Regardless of how CE's MP plays online, or how it would split the population.

And to be fucking frank, Reach's population is not something write home about anyway. 6th on the xbox live activity list. Slowly descending even more while 2 and 3 year old Call of Duty titles take it's place.

Whatever...there is always Halo 4.

Slightly Live said:

Yeah pretty awesome. If there is a three maps per pack DLC in H4, I am going to be pretty upset. Once COD went 5 maps for 1200 points, that should have been the new standard (more content, cheaper per map than 3 for 800) and 6/7 is even better, a great deal.

feel

Sadly I don't think 7 maps for $15 will be something we'll be seeing repeated much. This map pack probably spawns from CEA's multiplayer budget and any standalone sale is just extra profit. /clueless thought

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah pretty awesome. If there is a three maps per pack DLC in H4, I am going to be pretty upset. Once COD went 5 maps for 1200 points, that should have been the new standard (more content, cheaper per map than 3 for 800) and 6/7 is even better, a great deal.

I think 5 maps for 1200 is the sweet spot.

Getting 7 maps for 1200 is amazing, but I imagine this is a one-time gift to the fans.

I think the problem with the old Halo standard of 3 maps for 800 can be seen in the Defiant pack. A Firefight DLC map was certainly needed, but many competitive players passed on it because they saw it as only 2 multiplayer maps for 800 msp.

With 5/1200, you can make one of the maps a Firefight map (or an Invasion-specific one like Breakpoint) and still include four competitive multiplayer maps.
It also lets you cover a wider range of map needs in one pack:
- small arena/symmetrical map
- medium asymmetrical/1-sided map
- medium/large symmetrical map
- large 1-sided map
- Firefight or Invasion-specific map

Homeboyd

ncsuDuncan said:
It also lets you cover a wider range of map needs in one pack:
- small arena/symmetrical map
- medium asymmetrical/1-sided map
- medium/large symmetrical map
- large 1-sided map
- Firefight or Invasion-specific map
This. Rinse and repeat.

Retro

Mmmmm.... just had a warm and fuzzy thought. Say 343 decides to release the Halo 4 MapPacks based around an Anniversary theme...

MP1: Reclaimer
Includes maps from Halo: Combat Evolved.
(Brings most of the popular Anniversary stuff into the H4 environment)

MP2: Redeemer
Includes maps from Halo 2.
(Lockout, Midship, Zanzibar, Waterworks, Terminal, etc.)

MP3: Savior
Includes maps from Halo 3.
(Valhalla, Pit, High Ground, etc.)

MP4: Martyr
Includes maps from Halo: Reach
(um.... uh.... ah.... hmm.... well... nevermind)

TL:DR: In addition to new maps, pick the cream of the crop from all previous Halo games and make Halo 4 the definitive Halo experience with the best of the series in one home.

All new maps on disc, but maybe a couple of spiritual remakes.

Later the second map pack can finally bring some classics in.

(Or better yet, make the Forge/mapmaking tools robust enough to leave the faithful remakes to fans.)

Retro

Homeboyd said:
New trilogy. New maps.

Zero remakes.

In theory, it would be in addition to new maps, as icing on the cake. Make a couple new maps, throw in a couple upgraded old ones. I don't see the reason to completely dismiss several valid fan favorites just because it's a new trilogy.

Maps like Midship and the Pit are so smack-dab in the perfect sweet spot for Halo gameplay that ignoring them is paramount to ignoring such Halo moments as storming The Silent Cartographer or retaking the Outskirts of New Mombasa.

FyreWulff

Which is why they should do the maps-as-a-platform thing so you only remake the maps once and then they're just available for the rest of that trilogy's games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely want remade maps in Halo 4. Waterworks, Lockout, The Pit, Valhalla. I want to see them all make a return. Others, too.

Homeboyd said:
New trilogy. New maps.

Zero remakes.
Remakes will always be demanded.

About the playlist: I like them? The only questionable thing is Headlong in Anniversary Classic imo. But if it only appears as a Team Sniper combination, I can live with it. I won't really play the other playlist. I haven't given the gametype settings a closer look. Will do it later.

On the other I like that they release the map at November 15. And especially for the price of 1200MSP. It's damn cheap if you compare it to the other Halo 3 Mythic/Reach DLC prices. Maybe they want to lure some players back to Reach with this cheap price?

At the end I can't wait to play through the whole campagin and jump into Matchmaking at the next week's weekend.

Edit.: Yeah the Anniversary Firefight playlist is fucked up. Arcade Firefight only, not my case. But I won't be even able to play this because it isn't for Solo players. Maybe we should form a weekly custom firefight group.

Ideologically I would say I don't want remakes, but I have lost faith in whoever is in charge of Halo in their ability to make maps anymore, so I'll welcome remakes.

Trasher

I'm quite tired of remakes tbh. Just focus your time on making new and awesome maps, 343.

HaloGAF, do any of you by chance have an extra DotA 2 key?
lol I'm getting desperate

Tunavi

Banned
Holy shit CEA pack for 1200 MS points on Day 1. This is going to be so much better for the population.

GG 343

Also, with so many suggestions and criticisms, I think it would be really cool if 343 worked with us to create a playlist. Kind of like how MLG does it, a playlist dictated by a third party.

heckfu

Banned
Tunavi said:
Holy shit CEA pack for 1200 MS points on Day 1. This is going to be so much better for the population.

GG 343

Also, with so many suggestions and criticisms, I think it would be really cool if 343 worked with us to create a playlist. Kind of like how MLG does it, a playlist dictated by a third party.

Listen to this guy.

edit: hey I'm not a junior anymore!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
FyreWulff said:
Essay Lost

SUDDEN DEATH
Well I guess that's that.

gRcuD.gif

stephen08

I was very pleased to see the pricing/availability of the Anniversary map pack as DLC. Much better than previous handlings.

Not sure how I feel about the TU changes being put in to effect. I like the tweaks to Armor Lock and Camo as well as the removal of sword block.

Bloom adjustment is okay.

Bleed through though I am very much against. Not so much because of the way it's supposed to work but rather the flaws it brings with it. The big offenders are a pistol shot making a guy 4 shots (via DMR or pistol) to die instead of 5 and that healthpack glitch (which to be honest I don't even know is fixed or not).

So if we want to play pure vanilla Reach with the new DLC do we just have to luck out in the main lists or is Premium Battle being altered to include the new maps?

Or are the TU settings becoming default for everything?

How to fix Reach MM.

Overview

Step 1. Remove every playlist.

Step 2. Add:

Other
1. Invasion
2. Firefight
3. Campaign
4. Weekly Playlist.

Competitive – No guests, Tight restrictions. Parties allowed.
1. MLG – Arena Ranked
2. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions
3. Arena – Arena Ranked

Social – Guests, Parties
1. Big Team
2. Objective

Lone Wolf – No parties, No guests
1. Team Slayer
2. Rumble Pit
3. Living Dead

Detailed View

Step 1. Remove every playlist.

Step 2. Add:

Other – Guests allowed. Parties Allowed.

1. Invasion (6v6)
A. Boneyard Core
B. Spire Core
C. Breakout Core
Note. None of the other original MP maps will be used. Only the specific Invasion maps will be used. 5 maps cut.

2. Firefight (4v4)
Note: The 9 FF Maps pick either FF Classic (Skull progression gameplay) , FF Arcade, 2x Score Attack

3. Campaign (4 player max)
Note: Voting goes through the 9 levels starting with Winter Contingency. Choose Normal, Heroic, Legendary, or None of Above and vote on next level.

4. Weekly Playlist.

Competitive – No guests, Tight restrictions. Parties allowed.
5. MLG – Arena Ranked

6. SWAT/Snipes – Trial – (4v4) Not Arena Ranked but tight restrictions. To 50 Kills. 10 minutes. No radar. DMR/Pistol starts in SWAT, Sniper/Pistol starts in Snipers.
A. Sword Base SWAT
B. Boardwalk SWAT
C. Countdown SWAT
D. Asylum SWAT
E. Zealot SWAT
F. Anchor 9 SWAT
G. Condemned SWAT
H. Boardwalk Snipers
I. Powerhouse Snipers
J. Tempest Snipers

7. Arena – Arena Ranked (4v4)
A. Zealot
B. Countdown
C. Powerhouse
D. Asylum

8. 1v1 – To 15, 10 minute limit. DMR starts. Arena Ranked.
A. MLG Zealot
B. Sanctuary

9. Title Update Playlist

Social – Guests, Parties
10. Big Team (8v8)
A. Hemmorhage – Multiflag
B. Tempest – Neutral Bomb
C. Boardwalk - Slayer

11. Objective (4v4)
A. Zealot – Multiflag
B. Asylum – Neutral Bomb
C. Boardwalk – 1 Flag
D. Powerhouse – 3 Plots
E. Countdown – Multiflag
F. Anchor 9 – Neutral Flag placed on that walkway ledge.

Lone Wolf – No parties, No guests

12. Team Slayer – (4v4) AR/Pistol starts. To 50. 10 minute limit. Radar on.
A. Zealot
B. Boardwalk
C. Reflection
D. Sword Base
E. Anchor 9
F. Powerhouse

13. Rumble Pit – No more parties! DMR/AR starts to 25. NO OBJECTIVES.
A. Countdown
B. Zealot
C. Reflection
D. Boardwalk
E. Powerhouse
F. Sword Base
G. Condemned
H. Anchor 9

14. Living Dead – Betrayel booting on. Don’t care about the sporadic glitch that happens occasionally. One voting page.
A. Sword Base
B. Asylum
C. Uncaged
D. Boardwalk

The purpose is to cut down playlists and gametypes and maps and gametypes per map. This allows tighter control of each gametype and more familiar play. Along with introducing proper party and more uniform setting control within Reach.

Weekly or Monthly playlist will contain those Action Sack, Grifball, Melee's, Flags playlists along with other good ideas (Instagib) (Team Tactical) (Armory)

stephen08

xxjuicesxx said:
How to fix Reach MM.

I like the weekly playlist and the idea of pairing gametypes and maps but I think a 1 gametype per map combo is too drastic. For example, it would be a shame to lose either Tempest Neutral Bomb or Tempest Multi Flag. But it could stand to lose 1 Flag and 1 Bomb. Really then, it just becomes about matching symmetric/asymmetric gametypes with symmetric/asymmetric maps. The outright elimination of fringe gametypes would also be a shame. I think ideally, they would be in the objective list but forced to the third voting option while the top two would be the more traditional ones you have identified.

Also, I would like to see one list in Reach where there are Armor Abilities but the more powerful ones like Evade, Armor Lock, and Drop Shield are placed as pick ups so that they are still there to switch up gameplay but become a finite resource that no longer dominates the match and becomes a point of contention between the two teams.

That probably wouldn't help to reduce playlist saturation though.

Magni

Fuck it, even if I'm a poor college student I broke down and pre-ordered Anniversary yesterday. 36€ including shipping isn't too bad (reg games are 70€ here).

Top Bottom