• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Not as bad as Halo 2 in 4 imo, in 2 on Heroic and Legendary the accuracy and aggressiveness of enemies are just atrocious, Jackal Sniper hunting is fun for a couple times but becomes boring and rage inducing after a couple more.

I think there are trade-offs on either side that keep the enemies pretty much equally bullshit. Overall, anyway. Halo 4's enemy sandbox is a little less diverse than 2's, as much as it pains me to say that, but the sheer frequency by which they throw Promethean units at you in the tail end of the campaign just make it ridiculous. Halo 2's Legendary AI is definitely the more accurate and aggressive of the two, like you said, but Halo 4's enemy units get to a point in Legendary where there are more enemies that can instakill you than ones that can't in any given encounter, and on top of that they substitute aggressiveness for outright persistence. Prometheans being able to revive, birth out more Watchers, make themselves immune to headshots for a couple seconds when they aggro, teleporting away if they're about to die, etc. just makes it a nightmare unless you can accurately manage all the Promethean units on the field. Prometheans also have their better weapons being shared across all classes rather than distinct power weapon distribution like Fuel Rods = Grunts while Energy Sword = Elites, etc. Crawlers can wield Binary Rifles with next to no visual indicators on rank. With draw distance obscuring the (not really) obvious tells with Promethean hierarchy like the electrical smoke stuff on higher classes, it's next to impossible to figure out if a Promethean's wielding a Light Rifle, Binary Rifle, Incineration Cannon, etc. until you actually get shot at.

While most Halo 2 Legendary encounters I struggle with typically involve a company of Jackal Snipers or entire groups of enemies making combat overwhelming, the thing I struggled with most on Halo 4 Legendary was a one-on-one encounter. Trying to get through the final portal in the "portal hub" room that eventually gets defended by Knight Battlewagons is just ridiculous. They have a Battlewagon wielding an Incineration Cannon sitting right on top of the final portal, so it's pretty much impossible to cheese the encounter by avoiding it or running past it. You have to kill it, the Battlewagon has the upper ground, and cover is negligible - you can't really draw out the encounter to your advantage to slowly chip away at its health, because ending up just about anywhere within the blast radius of the Incineration Cannon will get you immolated.

I'm half way through 4 right now. I played it though when it launched so it's still pretty fresh.

Halo 3 really set the bar for the series and halo 4 doesn't really come close. Halo 2 and halo 4 are both great games in there own right for me it's a Toss up. I think I prefer the gameplay in halo 4 but the story in halo 2, it really did a great job of setting up the sequel. I love the Promethean enemies I think they are a ton of fun to go up against and have been a shot in the arm for the series.

All these games are a huge step up from Halo CEA. I always put that game on a pedestal but playing it 10 years later it's how terrible the last half of the game is.

A part of me wonders/hopes that halo 4 will be to Halo 5 what halo 2 was to Halo 3. I'm hoping 343 can take this series back to it'd roots and provide those big crazy battles like the ones seen in halo 3 but bigger and crazier. I'd be more then happy if they kept the visual fidelity of 4 but amped the scale up.

I think there are trade-offs on either side that keep the enemies pretty much equally bullshit. Overall, anyway. Halo 4's enemy sandbox is a little less diverse than 2's, as much as it pains me to say that, but the sheer frequency by which they throw Promethean units at you in the tail end of the campaign just make it ridiculous. Halo 2's Legendary AI is definitely the more accurate and aggressive of the two, like you said, but Halo 4's enemy units get to a point in Legendary where there are more enemies that can instakill you than ones that can't in any given encounter, and on top of that they substitute aggressiveness for outright persistence. Prometheans being able to revive, birth out more Watchers, make themselves immune to headshots for a couple seconds when they aggro, teleporting away if they're about to die, etc. just makes it a nightmare unless you can accurately manage all the Promethean units on the field. Prometheans also have their better weapons being shared across all classes rather than distinct power weapon distribution like Fuel Rods = Grunts while Energy Sword = Elites, etc. Crawlers can wield Binary Rifles with next to no visual indicators on rank. With draw distance obscuring the (not really) obvious tells with Promethean hierarchy like the electrical smoke stuff on higher classes, it's next to impossible to figure out if a Promethean's wielding a Light Rifle, Binary Rifle, Incineration Cannon, etc. until you actually get shot at.

While most Halo 2 Legendary encounters I struggle with typically involve a company of Jackal Snipers or entire groups of enemies making combat overwhelming, the thing I struggled with most on Halo 4 Legendary was a one-on-one encounter. Trying to get through the final portal in the "portal hub" room that eventually gets defended by Knight Battlewagons is just ridiculous. They have a Battlewagon wielding an Incineration Cannon sitting right on top of the final portal, so it's pretty much impossible to cheese the encounter by avoiding it or running past it. You have to kill it, the Battlewagon has the upper ground, and cover is negligible - you can't really draw out the encounter to your advantage to slowly chip away at its health, because ending up just about anywhere within the blast radius of the Incineration Cannon will get you immolated.

I get your point, great analysis too, but personally I have less problems with 4 than 2, because in 4 you have a more clear pattern when it comes to encounters, but in 2 on higher difficulties the sheer number of cheap death combos became really annoying due to the fact that each time you reload a check point, you can't guarantee the one Jackal Sniper that killed you is still there, also the AI tends to change their patrol/movement pattern so that you can't simply remember where those Jackals are and pre-throw grenades at them for example, I was playing Delta Halo yesterday and those encounters are rage inducing.

Pez

How do you know MCC is still broke? Because you still have to force quit when the game crashes on you after failing to load a game.

A month after release.

ryan299

I beat every halo 2 mission on solo legendary except for 1 which I did co-op legendary does that affect me from getting the achievements for beating the game cause as usual nothing is unlocking.

Also activated all the terminals and got the achievements for those but didn't get the one for unlocking them all. Also I didn't get the collect all toys achievement even though I have them all and the single achievements for them.

I haven't played in a few days, so I was happy to see TS back to 4v4. First game I get is a 3v5, funny part is we only lost 50-49. Most of my other games were 3v3, which is annoying depending on the map. So I tried some BTB, got into some games, most were 6v6, and a lot of black screens too.

So I probably won't play until the next patch.

membran

If it wasn't for the Halo 5 beta access, I probably would have tried to return this bug-ridden mess of a game. Well played, 343i, well played.

What happens if the Halo 5 beta performs far better than the MCC in matchmaking / lobby functions?

Kssio_Aug

If it wasn't for the Halo 5 beta access, I probably would have tried to return this bug-ridden mess of a game. Well played, 343i, well played.

What happens if the Halo 5 beta performs far better than the MCC in matchmaking / lobby functions?

Halo 5 will, mostly certain, work better. I think MCC problems are in its own code and that mess of outsourcing everything by a number of different companies.

membran

Halo 5 will, mostly certain, work better. I think MCC problems are in its own code and that mess of outsourcing everything by a number of different companies.

That's my guess as well. This will be an awkward situation, when a beta - labeled as such - outperforms the so called "proper" release.

Azzawon

Caved in and played a few games at the weekend (SWAT and H2A Team Slayer) and had no problem finding a match at all. Only problem during the games was some small lag in SWAT but that will probably be down to my slow internet. Otherwise I had plenty of fun and after the good experience I'll be sure to be playing a lot more multiplayer.
WeBack?

mbmonk

How do you know MCC is still broke? Because you still have to force quit when the game crashes on you after failing to load a game.

A month after release.

After a failed load if i wait long enough the game will allow me to press B to quit out of the non existent carnage report. It takes quite awhile but its fast for me to wait instead of force quitting :-

I actually was able to connect to 2 multiplayer games over the weekend, amongs lots of waiting.

First match was Halo 3 mp, everything loads up fine, having a blast for 3 minutes...then the game totally desyncs and everyone drops.

Second game was Halo 2 Anniversary. Game starts, my 3 teammates drop after like a minute, so I play the rest of the match 1v4. I end up with 1 less kill than the top player on the opposing team, and obviously I lost. He was using the rocket launcher with overshield the entire match, teabagging me after each lame rocket kill. The other two players were sitting in the towers and apparently knew the spawn patterns as I kept getting sniped immediately after I spawned.

Never change Halo community...

Chitown B

Wait, the matchmaking dumps you out into the main menu after a match? That never occurred in previous Halo multiplayer iterations.

yes, I know. It does now because it's such a large collection that you might want to jump around from list to list, so it just puts you back at the menu to choose something else. Also lets you ditch bad players that are tagging along but not in your party.

I assume dedicated servers are not in full effect right? It's almost impossible to get a game in Asia if it's mostly P2P given the low adoption rate of X1 here.

RSB

Banned
Halo 4 and Halo 2 are tied for worst Halo campaigns if we're talking outright playability, imo.

Anniversary did give Halo 2 some much-needed orchestration / visual coats of paint, though.
Yep, Halo 2 and 4 are easily the weakest campaigns. Too linear, not so great encounters, not enough vehicle battles...

I would say Halo 2 is a bit better though, mostly because of the story and especially the music (my favorite soundtrack in the franchise, even above ODST)

Sai

Halo 2 did have a pretty amazing soundtrack. Stupid remixes and guest artists aside.

Still upset about what they did to Peril in the Anniversary soundtrack though. :I

bchamba

I actually was able to connect to 2 multiplayer games over the weekend, amongs lots of waiting.

First match was Halo 3 mp, everything loads up fine, having a blast for 3 minutes...then the game totally desyncs and everyone drops.

Second game was Halo 2 Anniversary. Game starts, my 3 teammates drop after like a minute, so I play the rest of the match 1v4. I end up with 1 less kill than the top player on the opposing team, and obviously I lost. He was using the rocket launcher with overshield the entire match, teabagging me after each lame rocket kill. The other two players were sitting in the towers and apparently knew the spawn patterns as I kept getting sniped immediately after I spawned.

Never change Halo community...

It's also not fun for the team that has 4 players against the 1. You teabag and melee after every kill to try to get that last person to quit so you don't have to spend 10 more minutes hunting down 1 person.

Sai

I'd never grief the player just to force them to quit. They already got screwed by either the game giving them uneven teams from the start, or folks quitting on them; why should they be also penalized for quitting under those circumstances?

Whenever I'm put in that situation, I always fight it out, no hiding.

hwalker84

5v5? Team Slayer hasn't been 5v5 for over a week. What modes are you guy referring to that are 5v5 or are you bitching but haven't played the game in awhile?

yes, I know. It does now because it's such a large collection that you might want to jump around from list to list, so it just puts you back at the menu to choose something else. Also lets you ditch bad players that are tagging along but not in your party.

Wait, this is on purpose??
\:

I was hoping they would 'fix' that because I hate have to refind a match when it takes like 10 mins. for me to get in a party for BTB.

Kssio_Aug

Are you sure about this? Because in other modes, such as TDM, it keeps you in the map rotation till you mannually exit. It doesnt make much sense to me to make it different with BTB.

clav

3v4 game. Ugh.

So much lag. When will dedis come back? I just can't.

Even lag during respawn. 30 second respawns. I am watching this game, not even playing. This is ridiculous. That's over 2-3 minutes of not playing.

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game...kky&scid=77290100-225e-4768-9373-98164430a9f8

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game...kky&scid=77290100-225e-4768-9373-98164430a9f8

Black filter, too? What is this? Halo instagram? Halogram?

watership

It probably will. MCC is an outsourced product, 343i is making Halo 5. Halo 4 didn't have any technical issues I recall.

So hold the phone fellers.

-Ubisoft has announced what its users are getting because of a rough launch.
-Driveclub devs have announced what their users are getting to make up for a rough launch, i think some DLC too?
-343, a month after launch has announced its users will get.....what?

clav

-Driveclub devs have announced what their users are getting to make up for a rough launch, i think some DLC too?

Halo 5 beta.

Finaj

343 stated they would discuss compensation after the problems with MCC were fixed... only problem being, everything is in the collection, so I don't know what they could create as compensation. I doubt Certain Affinity can just drop everything they're doing just to make some free DLC.

Chitown B

Are you sure about this? Because in other modes, such as TDM, it keeps you in the map rotation till you mannually exit. It doesnt make much sense to me to make it different with BTB.

I'll try to find the quote, but I remember it being said it's on purpose.

It's also not fun for the team that has 4 players against the 1. You teabag and melee after every kill to try to get that last person to quit so you don't have to spend 10 more minutes hunting down 1 person.

I hear you, but the reason I didn't quit is because its been so impossible for me to even get into a game. I figured matchmaking would fill out my team as I went, so I stuck it out. Of course it didn't add any players, dunno why I expected it to.

Halo 4 isn't nearly as bad as Halo 2. Play it again and try using automatic weapons to kill the Knights. You'll find it's much easier.

It's all about the shotguns against those dudes. They are relatively easy to get in close to and a couple shotgun blasts will take them out... Trying to take them out from range is to difficult.

Chitown B

It's all about the shotguns against those dudes. They are relatively easy to get in close to and a couple shotgun blasts will take them out... Trying to take them out from range is to difficult.

The suppressors are awesome for killing them. Shottys yes but suppressors keep them busy if you can't get right up on them.

PooBone

Can anyone with a copy of this game let me know if you can change the difficulty of the MasterChief Saga Playlist? That looks like a good achievement to tackle. Thinking about doin a heroic or legendary run through as soon as I get this.

Chitown B

Can anyone with a copy of this game let me know if you can change the difficulty of the MasterChief Saga Playlist? That looks like a good achievement to tackle. Thinking about doin a heroic or legendary run through as soon as I get this.

no you can't. It sets the game at Normal with no skulls. I ran through the whole thing. I kinda find it odd that they didn't put it on Heroic since Bungie always said that's the difficulty they recommended for the "real" experience.

Top Bottom