• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Freeser

Heck yea the wrt54g is legendary. These routers never die. But yes, I have a couple Xbox's in the house, although I'm only port forwarding to the Xbone. I could see where someone could have issues with that. I've also tried putting it into the DMZ as a last resort but nothing changed. The Xbone shows open NAT even after resetting it anyways.

I think the game is just broken.

Yeah most your issues seem to be game related but joining parties/not hearing other people in parties is xbox related. The only sure fire way I have found to clear up my networking issues with multiple boxes was go back to uPnP and hard reset every time I sit down for a multiplayer session. I tried DMZ, PT, and PF but anything I would use always took a hard reset to clear up issues. I'm behind a ASUS AC66U for reference.

I still have a couple 54g's sitting in the garage collecting dust but I was always a tomato guy rather than DD-WRT.

Forsythia

Bloody patch fucked up my game installation and it now tells me I need to re-install the game. As if that fucking installation didn't take ages to begin with. I don't have time for this bullshit!

Takashi

It's been like a month since I had played this. So far no crashes just uneven teams sometimes.

CE is pretty damn fun, aside from the spawns. Like is 4v4 Rat Race even supposed to be a thing? Spent half the match straight up spawning on live grenades.

Schooly D

Washed up, better-than-average Halo player with a strong back and a weak mind seeks other better-than-average players to run matchmaking with. My crew from the old days is in shambles, and I can no longer rely on the remnants to perform better than the average rando.

Please add Schooly D on XBL if interested. Let me remember what it feels like to win.

Fuchsdh

Washed up, better-than-average Halo player with a strong back and a weak mind seeks other better-than-average players to run matchmaking with. My crew from the old days is in shambles, and I can no longer rely on the remnants to perform better than the average rando.

Please add Schooly D on XBL if interested. Let me remember what it feels like to win.

Perhaps you need another splash bash.

(Welcome.)

This sounds exactly like me. I'll add you.

I'm still working to get the rust off however, but I know call outs, certain weapon timers and the what have yous.

clav

No dedicated servers makes me angry.

Is there an ETA for this feature set?

I think that is why the community is so upset. There are no goals mentioned outside of matchmaking to be fixed known to the public. Yet after a number of patches, matchmaking is still the goal?

Chitown B

They really need ranks back as well for all playlists. I haven't had many good, close games.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Team Slayer playlist. If they don't want to split the population too much (especially once we have dedicated HCE and H4 playlists), why have a playlist solely for a gametype that's easily accessed in others?

what do you mean ranks "back" for all playlists? They never had them for all. Plus there used to be Social playlists, and there aren't now - so if you add ranks to everything people will shy away. It's a perception thing.

I feel like trueskill still works behind the scenes in all, but I'm not certain.

It's been like a month since I had played this. So far no crashes just uneven teams sometimes.

CE is pretty damn fun, aside from the spawns. Like is 4v4 Rat Race even supposed to be a thing? Spent half the match straight up spawning on live grenades.
3v3 feels really good in CE.

Sephzilla

Halo CE's spawns have always been pretty whack. Probably the only real significant flaw in the game.

Halo CE's spawns have always been pretty whack. Probably the only real significant flaw in the game.

Yeah, there's plenty of subjective flaws with the game RE: multiplayer design, but the spawns are one of the few objective features of the game that are explicitly bad.

It's kinda funny how MCC worked out, because I've preferred Combat Evolved PC over the console version (started out with PC), and I've always wanted to play its single-player / multi on consoles. #longlivetheblop

They seem much worse than what I remember in the Xbox version. The frequency of literally spawning in front of someone, or spawning behind someone is way, way higher than I ever remember, and I played probably 1 - 2,000 hours of Halo 1.

Did the PC port fuck up the spawning algorithm? The spawn locations themselves seem correct still, but the game doesn't seem to give a fuck whether enemies are 2 inches away or not as long as your teammates were in the area. The Xbox version seemed much better about spawning you out of harm's way, but close enough that the spawn made sense relative to your teammate's location.

dwells

They seem much worse than what I remember in the Xbox version. The frequency of literally spawning in front of someone, or spawning behind someone is way, way higher than I ever remember, and I played probably 1 - 2,000 hours of Halo 1.

Did the PC port fuck up the spawning algorithm? The spawn locations themselves seem correct still, but the game doesn't seem to give a fuck whether enemies are 2 inches away or not as long as your teammates were in the area. The Xbox version seemed much better about spawning you out of harm's way, but close enough that the spawn made sense relative to your teammate's location.

Could part of it be that you were used to playing smaller player count games on the Xbox (2v2 splitscreen, 3v3 LAN)? The spawns seem to worsen as the number of players increases, and now we're playing 4v4.

Could part of it be that you were used to playing smaller player count games on the Xbox (2v2 splitscreen, 3v3 LAN)? The spawns seem to worsen as the number of players increases, and now we're playing 4v4.

Yeah, that might be the case. We primarily did a lot of 2v2 and 3v3 LAN back in the day.

mbmonk

As a new player, I am humbling asking advice from some wiser & more experienced Halo players.

I seem to be in a recurring situation where the enemy team is holding a key area of the map where an important power weapon spawns. I feel like I am in a catch 22 when this happens. If I don't try to push them out of that area they will control the power weapon when it spawns. If I push in by myself I am going to be at a disadvantage because I am going into a 1 v 3 or 1 v 2 situation.

So what's the best play in that situation?

Here is a specific example in H2A.

Game Mode: Slayer Pro; Map: Lockdown. The opposing team ( red ) has control of the sniper tower by having 2 - 3 players in that area. One of those red players has the sword. I am concerned that if I don't push in they are going to dominate the sniper rifle and they are going to win the game. So I push in after grabbing the shotty, I kill one but get smoked.. now the Red team has the shotgun, sword, & sniper... and I have no clue what to do now. I am not a great player, and lose quite a few BR fights.

What is a good play here? Just use my mic and do call outs for my teammates?

Chitown B

As a new player, I am humbling asking advice from some wiser & more experienced Halo players.

I seem to be in a recurring situation where the enemy team is holding a key area of the map where an important power weapon spawns. I feel like I am in a catch 22 when this happens. If I don't try to push them out of that area they will control the power weapon when it spawns. If I push in by myself I am going to be at a disadvantage because I am going into a 1 v 3 or 1 v 2 situation.

Game Mode: Slayer Pro; Map: Lockdown. The opposing team ( red ) has control of the sniper tower by having 2 - 3 players in that area. One of those red players has the sword. I am concerned that if I don't push in they are going to dominate the sniper rifle and they are going to win the game. So I push in after grabbing the shotty, I kill one but get smoked.. now the Red team has the shotgun, sword, & sniper... and I have no clue what to do now. I am not a great player, and lose quite a few BR fights.

What is a good play here? Just use my mic and just do call outs for my teammates?

Play with friends?

If you guys want to test the "higher players screw with console CE's original design philosophy of smaller player counts" philosophy, see if you get screwed over by the spawns as often in the PC-exclusive maps. Timberland, Gephyrophobia, etc.

What is a good play here? Just use my mic and do call outs for my teammates?

That kind of thing is more of a situational thing. One could offer advice but would not be applicable in every situation. One thing is, never push alone against multiple opponents. I although do this sometimes, but it requires being aware of enemy positioning. If you're playing with radar on, then always be aware of it. Always know, if you're pushing on the enemy, if they're above or below. And always crouch walk (if you're about to make a push) to stay off of radar until you're ready to press the enemy. And also learn grenade spawns, as you can carry 8 total (4 frags, 4 plasmas). They are essential to flushing enemies out of cover.

Team SWAT is a good way to gain BR skills. Practice on those headshots and it will give you a substantial advantage in BR duels. Also, be aware of team mates as well. If you see them pushing, then push with them (so you can team shoot with your team mates) but maintain a tiny bit of distance to avoid potential grenades.

About all I can say, as every situation is different.

SpartanN92

Banned

Schooly D does it again

I'm pretty sure BTB Halo 4 overrides your set loadouts and uses a default set. My custom loadouts dont carry over.

I had the same experience last night in my first two Halo 4 matches of the MCC. My sets were not available, only a few default sets and no special abilities.

Halo 4 actually felt really good.

mbmonk

Play with friends?

I don't have any friends who play Halo. I am working on getting new friends :)

That kind of thing is more of a situational thing. One could offer advice but would not be applicable in every situation. One thing is, never push alone against multiple opponents. I although do this sometimes, but it requires being aware of enemy positioning. If you're playing with radar on, then always be aware of it. Always know, if you're pushing on the enemy, if they're above or below. And always crouch walk (if you're about to make a push) to stay off of radar until you're ready to press the enemy. And also learn grenade spawns, as you can carry 8 total (4 frags, 4 plasmas). They are essential to flushing enemies out of cover.

Team SWAT is a good way to gain BR skills. Practice on those headshots and it will give you a substantial advantage in BR duels. Also, be aware of team mates as well. If you see them pushing, then push with them (so you can team shoot with your team mates) but maintain a tiny bit of distance to avoid potential grenades.

About all I can say, as every situation is different.

Great points. I need to stock up on nades and use crouch walk to position myself for the push if I do decide to go in. Going with teammates is best, but it's hard to work as a group if I am the only one with a mic on my team, which is becoming a pretty common occurance. Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I need to get my scrubby butt into SWAT.

So apparently I am getting an Xbone for Christmas from my brother. This was leaked through Sony emails.

I was wondering, as someone who has zero interest in Halo multiplayers, would this be good for someone who just wants to play the campaigns? I have beaten Halo 3 (although I do not remember a thing about them), but none of the other ones.

PooBone

So apparently I am getting an Xbone for Christmas from my brother. This was leaked through Sony emails.

I was wondering, as someone who has zero interest in Halo multiplayers, would this be good for someone who just wants to play the campaigns? I have beaten Halo 3 (although I do not remember a thing about them), but none of the other ones.

Perfect. Yes, you're the perfect customer for this product. I'm jealous and wish I could replay Combat Evolved again for the first time. Enjoy them, my friend, you're getting a great set of campaigns.

Hopefully someday you can try the multiplayer.

Sai

... Did I have you on my friends list at one point?

Did you play VOOT?

Sephzilla

Defeintly need some punishment for quitters.

Keep getting players dropping out on me because they can't handle CE pistols.
I like the idea of adopting something from LeLeague of Legends. If you quit early or during the map voting you have to wait 15 minutes to get back into matchmaking

vesvci

Banned

LOL, I read this like a question being asked at an infomercial seminar.

I must be sleepy today.

Dalto11

Okay so I'm stuck on a 6 megabit connection till I'm back at college. Hwo fucked am I in terms of how long it'll take to download the digital copy of this game and its patches come Christmas?

Schooly D

... Did I have you on my friends list at one point?

Did you play VOOT?

Sup Sai. Yes, I believe we were friends, but the 100-friend limit forces me into purge mode every once in a while.

I did and do still play VOOT, by the way! Current US champ after VectorStrike 2 this Setpember.

Okay so I'm stuck on a 6 megabit connection till I'm back at college. Hwo fucked am I in terms of how long it'll take to download the digital copy of this game and its patches come Christmas?

Sounds like my internet connection, it will probably take you about 2 days, anything under 50gb is usually done in a day and a bit for me but this with all its patches should take about 48 hours maybe less if you are lucky

RdN

Finally got into my first match after yesterday's update.

5vs3, other team quit 2 minutes into the match. Amazing experience.

Finally got into my first match after yesterday's update.

5vs3, other team quit 2 minutes into the match. Amazing experience.

Quit absolutely has to go IMO, it's a blight on the entire system. Replace it with a team surrender vote. Force players back into the game or customs only if they drop out or dashboard.

Better yet player toggles or maps and gametypes before matchmaking.

Hubble

Played a lot of games yesterday and today since the new update and so far, I have not encountered one uneven match so that's good.

RSB

Banned

Ascenion

Just started Halo 3 co-op campaign with a friend.....the hell is this lag/frame rate shit? Like this is basically unplayable....

Multiplayer smoothness ranking:

H3>H4>CE>>H2A>H2

H3 edges out H4 due to less perceived slowdown.

H2A and H2 on the lower end due to laggy responses, such as one second before weapon pickup animation and grenade animation lag. As well as wonky hitboxes. Like seriously, what the hell sometimes. Some geometry near enemies made them basically invulnerable to sniper fire and odd splatters. Some weapons with firing animations don't match their hitboxes, especially the Gauss Hog.

Also, why no veto, sometimes all 3 options are undesirable.

Top Bottom