• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Hubble

After hours of play with 4, the game is better but still has its quirks.

Getting a new glitch where one person in our lobby out of 4 cannot hear each other. This person who experiences this seems to be at random and changes.

Games will start to load but then will kick us out right away and takes a long time.

One time in our search of 4, one person from our party was on the other team.

After a game, one person will disconnect from our party and cannot rejoin. Has to reset Halo or Xbox One.

On the positive side, I have rarely like rarely have had uneven teams after a lot of time with the game.

Any word on the status of these dedicated servers that were promised to us?

Freeser

Hasn't that been tried? Punishing your playerbase won't work. Join-in-progress is the lesser evil, provided that players are kept from match to match - that way you only run the risk of jumping into a losing game for the first match of your session.

It was tried to a lesser extent in H3 when you took a 3xp hit for quitting out of a game. A 5-10 minute quit ban will solve the problem though I think, if you have something that really needs to be tended to then you won't even notice. Join in progress can never work in a competitive environment which is the one thing that Halo actually gets right (Halo 2/3).

After hours of play with 4, the game is better but still has its quirks.

Getting a new glitch where one person in our lobby out of 4 cannot hear each other. This person who experiences this seems to be at random and changes.

Games will start but then will kick us out and takes a long time.

One time in our search of 4, one person from our party was on the other team.

After a game, one person will disconnect from our party and cannot rejoin. Has to reset Halo or Xbox One.

On the positive side, I have rarely like rarely have had uneven teams after a lot of time with the game.

Any word on the status of these dedicated servers that were promised to us?

I know, it's almost like they're withholding them until after the Halo 5 Beta or something. The Matchmaking is working good enough to where they should turn them back on.

It has, and it's succeeded; look at LoL, who, last I checked, had fairly harsh penalties for repeat quitters, and as a result doesn't have anything like the MCC's quit rate. It works, man.

This. What League does works.
Happy to change my tune if something has been shown to work empirically, but it never has before in Halo.

You'd need some more changes - like being able to forfeit a match, but maybe that is the way to go. Because if I'm the one left in a wildly unbalanced match (in terms of player count), it would suck if I got penalized for quitting.

JoeDanny

I understand that but I can also understand why some might not like that. When the only solid counter to something is to use the same thing it kind of perpetuates the idea that the thing in question might be a tad too good. (Assuming BR starts)

In my opinion automatic weapons should safely trump BR at close range. I'm okay with it otherwise

No, the problem isn't the BR itself. It's the user. The whole debate over the OPness of the BR is just lesser-skilled players projecting their own lack of competence with the BR on the weapon itself.

Happy to change my tune if something has been shown to work empirically, but it never has before in Halo.

You'd need some more changes - like being able to forfeit a match, but maybe that is the way to go. Because if I'm the one left in a wildly unbalanced match (in terms of player count), it would suck if I got penalized for quitting.

i won't lie with the volatility of matchmaking right now and me getting matched with players WAY better than me I would not mind a ten run rule like feature.

Leyasu

Banned
I know, it's almost like they're withholding them until after the Halo 5 Beta or something. The Matchmaking is working good enough to where they should turn them back on.

Agreed! But I honestly think that they are just going to forget about them. Then release a patch that removes all pop up messages concerning host, in an attempt to hide it.

Sai

I think both the H3 AR and H2A AR trump a BR close range with proper dodge/jumping and maybe a melee.
Yep, this hasn't really been an issue since Halo 3, and was only as prevalent as it was in Halo 2 because the SMG was horrible, and stuff like BXR.

BR's still the all-around utility weapon, but it can be overcome with weapons like the AR and DMR depending on the range. I still recall some discontent over the fact that the BR wasn't indomitable unless it was against a Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle; some don't want to see automatic weapons like the AR being competent in any capacity.

Just practice with the BR more?

I said it in the other OTT, but I really wonder about people's skill levels when they complain about the BR.

They say it themselves, they have the most powerful weapon in the game...then proceed to complain about it because it's too good because they get shot from everywhere? YOU HAVE THE SAME WEAPON.

Theres no reason to use anything else. I want to use other weapons but, shit BR spam makes it so using anything else will get you killed instantly. Why use an AR? They can BR you to death at short range. Why use a shotgun? They have BRs and can kill you before you get close? Why bother using anything when they have BRs?

Looking at his post history, Frankie is still active here. Just not in halo threads. A lot of posts in the community off topic threads.

The last halo post was in the community thread for halo just telling someone "i bet your wrong" about i think playlists or something.

You have fans begging for answers and you're just gonna ignore them and post everywhere else....?

Impala26

Quit absolutely has to go IMO, it's a blight on the entire system. Replace it with a team surrender vote. Force players back into the game or customs only if they drop out or dashboard.

Better yet player toggles or maps and gametypes before matchmaking.

My take is that there should be Join-In-Progress for unranked playlists and that if you quit out of a ranked match, you should not be able to rejoin matchmaking until that match ends.

Dimorphic

Playing back through H4 I am still amazed that this game looked this good on X360 hardware.

343 have done a whole lot wrong but my god this game is pretty.

Sephzilla

No, the problem isn't the BR itself. It's the user. The whole debate over the OPness of the BR is just lesser-skilled players projecting their own lack of competence with the BR on the weapon itself.

In Halo 2 Classic specifically, it's totally just the BR being a tad overpowered. There is no worthwhile close range weapon that can honestly trump it beyond the sword which isnt even on a bunch of maps. H2C's shotgun is practically worthless. The SMG, Plasma Rifle, Magnum, and Plasma Pistol are only viable when dual wielded with something else (or noob combo'd with the PP/BR). And even most of that can be negated with a BXR.

As others have said, in Halo 3 onward this was actually resolved a bit more. This is partially why I feel that Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer is the best multiplayer in the game.

My take is that there should be Join-In-Progress for unranked playlists and that if you quit out of a ranked match, you should not be able to rejoin matchmaking until that match ends.

Join in progress in my opinion is a terrible idea in Halo because 95% of the time you're going to be joining into a team that is going to lose because how often does someone quit a game when they are winning? What would likely end up happening is that someone would quit out of a losing game, someone takes their places, sees that they're losing big time and then that new person just quits out. I actually think join in progress could make the quitting problem worse.

i don't see why join in progress in unranked is bad, id love that. And keeping everyone together after games. Like ranked I want no one to join in the middle and id like new opponents each time.

Unranked, i want games fast and easy.

clav

Anyone run into a problem with Halo 1 MP when people quit and no one is moving?

Then, when you try to leave game, you are stuck in a shadowed screen and you are unable to do anything?

hwalker84

I run a Linksys wrt54g with DD-WRT firmware. Xbox One is hardwired. I ensure you that it is set up correctly as I am literally a network administrator by profession. This stuff is my day job. This is the same setup I have used for Halo since...forever, and I've never had trouble before.

...before the Xbox One that is. Destiny still disconnects me all the time and is unplayable. Titanfall works perfectly fine though.

Personally I'm beginning to become suspicious of the Xbox One's ipv6 tunneling. I haven't read up much on the teredo tunneling protocol being used, but I probably should.

Roger that. I'm a Senior Systems Engineer as well.

clav

I run a Linksys wrt54g with DD-WRT firmware. Xbox One is hardwired. I ensure you that it is set up correctly as I am literally a network administrator by profession. This stuff is my day job. This is the same setup I have used for Halo since...forever, and I've never had trouble before.

...before the Xbox One that is. Destiny still disconnects me all the time and is unplayable. Titanfall works perfectly fine though.

Personally I'm beginning to become suspicious of the Xbox One's ipv6 tunneling. I haven't read up much on the teredo tunneling protocol being used, but I probably should.

Does the DD-WRT firmware even support IPV6? I don't think so. Looking at 14929 which has been the recommended build since forever, I don't see it.

I run Tomato on my router, and I have IPv6 disabled. Works fine.

Played a ton of BTB yesterday, got one match of Halo 4. I am really at a loss for why Halo 4 comes up so infrequently now. I would think 343 would want to push their own game, plus before when it would come up people would almost always vote for it, so people clearly like it.

Sai

There really should be more severe penalties for outright quitting. I haven't had this much of an issue with folks idling or quitting since the early days of Halo 2.

Looking at his post history, Frankie is still active here. Just not in halo threads. A lot of posts in the community off topic threads.

The last halo post was in the community thread for halo just telling someone "i bet your wrong" about i think playlists or something.

You have fans begging for answers and you're just gonna ignore them and post everywhere else....?
Hey now, don't give him a reason to stop posting here entirely. :p

How do you see him answering without digging a deeper hole for himself and 343i? It may be frustrating, but sometimes it's best to keep quiet until more concrete answers can be given.

How do you see him answering without digging a deeper hole for himself and 343i? It may be frustrating, but sometimes it's best to keep quiet until more concrete answers can be given.

Its just frustrating that we all want answers, and all communication from 343 is coming from occasional twitter replies from bravo.

Tawpgun

There really should be more severe penalties for outright quitting. I haven't had this much of an issue with folks idling or quitting since the early days of Halo 2.

Quit penalties should be a thing for sure.

But in the games state right now they would bite me in the ass. I usually quit out of smg start games. If the map has good br spawns I'll weather the storm but won't enjoy it much. If it's ahit like smg on stone town you bet your ass I'm leaving with no regrets.

Smg starts on maps as big as stonetown should be hardcoded to be impossible in matchmaking

clav

Why would you penalize quitting when the game lags out for some people?

Penalize for shitty netcode? That's a double whammy.

Welfare

BR starts or I quit. Even teams or I quit. Halo 2/2A or 3 in Team Slayer, I quit. The game does not let me play what I want to play, so why should I stay in the game?

Sephzilla

BR starts or I quit. Even teams or I quit. Halo 2/2A or 3 in Team Slayer, I quit. The game does not let me play what I want to play, so why should I stay in the game?

Because in the bold situations you're hurting the experience of how other people want to play the game.

Welfare

Because in the bold situations you're hurting the experience of how other people want to play the game.

I don't want SMG starts. They're terrible IMO. The game doesn't have a BR only playlist, so I can't go there. There is no Halo CE playlist, but there surely is a Halo 2 Classic, Halo 2A, and Halo 3 playlist, so when I go to the only playlist that has CE that isn't BTB, and it doesn't get picked, I am not staying there. If I wanted H2C/A or Halo 3, I would go the dedicated playlist for them.

As of now, this game can't satisfy my needs in MM, and when it doesn't, I won't stay.

Sephzilla

I don't want SMG starts. They're terrible IMO. The game doesn't have a BR only playlist, so I can't go there. There is no Halo CE playlist, but there surely is a Halo 2 Classic, Halo 2A, and Halo 3 playlist, so when I go to the only playlist that has CE that isn't BTB, and it doesn't get picked, I am not staying there. If I wanted H2C/A or Halo 3, I would go the dedicated playlist for them.

As of now, this game can't satisfy my needs in MM, and when it doesn't, I won't stay.

Again, at that point you're hurting the experience of other people who want to play the game the way they want to play it, so you should pay the price for quitting. How would you feel if half of your team quit out of a CE game and left you outnumbered because they wanted something else?

Also, just my opinion but if you don't want to play four fifths of the content in the game (I'm just assuming you'd quit out of H4 as well) then why did you buy this?

Tawpgun

Im with you on the BR starts. Fucking travesty that you can't consistently get it. In Halo 3 you could. Team slayer? Veto for BR. Team br? Keep it.

A system designed to let people play the way they want. In MCC the vote options can be BRs, brs, halo ce. And ar ar halo ce

It should be a ar option, BR option, and halo ce.

In the other playlists objective should always be BR. And then add in 2 slayer options with ar or BR.

Fuckin fixed the game I'll take my check and or early beta access

SpartanN92

Banned

You are part of the problem... I agree SMG/AR starts suck balls but just tough it out.

It's what they voted for... I was dismally disappointed the last two presidential elections, but I didn't just quit America.... You quittin 'Murica bro?

Striker

Yep, this hasn't really been an issue since Halo 3, and was only as prevalent as it was in Halo 2 because the SMG was horrible, and stuff like BXR.

BR's still the all-around utility weapon, but it can be overcome with weapons like the AR and DMR depending on the range. I still recall some discontent over the fact that the BR wasn't indomitable unless it was against a Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle; some don't want to see automatic weapons like the AR being competent in any capacity.
It wasn't an issue in Halo 2 because the BR was hitscan and not neutered by spread and consistency on a good and stable netcode. The AR in Halo 3 was stupidly easy to use and wasn't restricted in any way except range. Combine that with Halo 3's super-strong melee, of course it wasn't as hard to use against BR users in close proximity. That doesn't make it better, it makes it more user-friendly and frustrating to play.

An assault rifle being competent is fine, but it needs to offer some strong recoil if you're going to make it beefy. Also needs to have weaker melee damage. Double beatdowns are also often more useful to use than weapons because it's so easy. In Halo 3 it was incredibly easy (and annoying) to kill with an AR/melee.

Playing with local players still only counts as one vote.

So 4 people split screen, and matched with 4 other people, an entire team only counts for a single vote.

Sephzilla

So 4 people split screen, and matched with 4 other people, an entire team only counts for a single vote.

Yeah, that needs to be fixed.

Overall though I think MCC should ditch voting in general and go back to a more Halo 2 like "you play what we pick for you" system.

SpartanN92

Banned

Yeah, this really irks me. So annoying.

Your split screen friends are still only using one xbox live account though. Your tv only is one paying customer. The other team is 4 paying customers. Makes sense that split screen is only one vote.

Sephzilla

Your split screen friends are still only using one xbox live account though. Your tv only is one paying customer. The other team is 4 paying customers. Makes sense that split screen is only one vote.

What if its two people with their own XBL accounts on a single XB1 though

Yeah, that needs to be fixed.

Overall though I think MCC should ditch voting in general and go back to a more Halo 2 like "you play what we pick for you" system.

With so many options i still love having the 3 to vote for. There is still a massive amount of variety which i keep coming back to. I love the cross game playlists.

I think veto should make a comeback. Lets not all decide what we want to play, lets agree on what we DONT want to play.

What? This is a bad way of looking at it. There are 4 players. They all have xbox live. You wouldn't even know we are split screen. In fact, 3 of the 4 i played with last night locally, bought the game individually. So they all have a game license, and xbl.

But we all count as a single vote?

Also paying customers? Is this a concert? Can I buy better seats too?

Sephzilla

Only one disc

This is a joke post, right?

Also I'm pretty sure that the older games counted guest votes.

With so many options i still love having the 3 to vote for. There is still a massive amount of variety which i keep coming back to. I love the cross game playlists.

I think veto should make a comeback. Lets not all decide what we want to play, lets agree on what we DONT want to play.

There being so many options is why I want voting to die. This game has 100+ maps and I've played maybe 30% of them at most because people keep voting for Lockout or Blood Gulch any time it pops up.

Sai

Why would you penalize quitting when the game lags out for some people?

Penalize for shitty netcode? That's a double whammy.
I said outright quitting, not dropping out due to network issues; and I wish the game could differentiate between the two.

I don't agree with quitting just because you can't get BR starts, that's ridiculous. Find a BR spawn point 'n tough it out with the rest of us; show some consideration for the rest of your team that actually wants to play.

Sai

It wasn't an issue in Halo 2 because the BR was hitscan and not neutered by spread and consistency on a good and stable netcode. The AR in Halo 3 was stupidly easy to use and wasn't restricted in any way except range. Combine that with Halo 3's super-strong melee, of course it wasn't as hard to use against BR users in close proximity. That doesn't make it better, it makes it more user-friendly and frustrating to play.

An assault rifle being competent is fine, but it needs to offer some strong recoil if you're going to make it beefy. Also needs to have weaker melee damage. Double beatdowns are also often more useful to use than weapons because it's so easy. In Halo 3 it was incredibly easy (and annoying) to kill with an AR/melee.
I can agree with this.

Tawpgun

This is a joke post, right?

Also I'm pretty sure that the older games counted guest votes.

There being so many options is why I want voting to die. This game has 100+ maps and I've played maybe 30% of them at most because people keep voting for Lockout or Blood Gulch any time it pops up.

Veto is a good system. But fuck no to halo 2 "you play what you get" system.

Veto for br's please.

I don't mind voting either. I'd rather play 10 games in a row on similar maps and gametypes that I know are good than to have to suffer through smg's on backwash for the sake of variety

Sephzilla

Veto is a good system. But fuck no to halo 2 "you play what you get" system.

Veto for br's please.

I don't mind voting either. I'd rather play 10 games in a row on similar maps and gametypes that I know are good than to have to suffer through smg's on backwash for the sake of variety

If they could make the veto system less predictable I'd be okay with that. But Halo 3's version of it sucked entirely because it was 95% certain that the second choice was Team Slayer BR or Shotty Snipers. That shit got old fast. Team Slayer is boring compared to objective games anyway.

Halo 2's system was superior.

Top Bottom