• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Impala26

If they could make the veto system less predictable I'd be okay with that. But Halo 3's version of it sucked entirely because it was 95% certain that the second choice was Team Slayer BR or Shotty Snipers. That shit got old fast. Team Slayer is boring compared to objective games anyway.

Halo 2's system was superior.

I agree with you that JIP is not ideal, but Halo 2 matchmaking system without JIP?
No thanks. Quitting would happen in virtually EVERY game.

Sephzilla

I've been seeing this alot in this thread.
What exactly is a hard reset? I just purchased my Xbox and halo, and im still not used to how it works.

Fully power down your system - make sure your system is set to energy saving mode.

Alternatively just doing a "restart" from the settings usually achieves the same effect for me.

I agree with you that JIP is not ideal, but Halo 2 matchmaking system without JIP?
No thanks. Quitting would happen in virtually EVERY game.

And thats why there needs to be a League of Legends style penalty system.

Noobcraft

What exactly is a hard reset? I just purchased my Xbox and halo, and im still not used to how it works.
Fully shutting down the Xbox and restarting it. Can be done by going to Settings -> Power & startup -> Restart now

Welfare

Again, at that point you're hurting the experience of other people who want to play the game the way they want to play it, so you should pay the price for quitting. How would you feel if half of your team quit out of a CE game and left you outnumbered because they wanted something else?

Also, just my opinion but if you don't want to play four fifths of the content in the game (I'm just assuming you'd quit out of H4 as well) then why did you buy this?

First bold: You see, if this game was actually functional, I would be in a dedicated Halo CE playlist so that wouldn't happen.

Second bold: I do play the other portions of the game (Halo 2 Classic and Anniversary). I was saying that when the only playlist besides BTB has CE, I want to play that. I can go to any other playlist for H2C/A and 3, but for CE I can't.

3 ways to do it:

-go through the power setting menu as suggested

-press and hold the power button/logo on the front of the Xbox until it shuts off

-Unplug it for ~10 seconds and plug it back in.

Sephzilla

First bold: You see, if this game was actually functional, I would be in a dedicated Halo CE playlist so that wouldn't happen.

Second bold: I do play the other portions of the game (Halo 2 Classic and Anniversary). I was saying that when the only playlist besides BTB has CE, I want to play that. I can go to any other playlist for H2C/A and 3, but for CE I can't.

I can respect that I guess, CE playlist definitely needs to be a thing

CooP-TroN

Banned
Played a ton of BTB yesterday, got one match of Halo 4. I am really at a loss for why Halo 4 comes up so infrequently now. I would think 343 would want to push their own game, plus before when it would come up people would almost always vote for it, so people clearly like it.

Sorry if I double posted here, I just wanted to chime in on this.
Halo 4 has 14 maps in btb, 6 more than any other game. They clearly pushed their own game in that Playlist. I find it kind of irritating that they include literally every big map from h4 (even the the terrible ones, which is most), and yet they left out actual good maps from past halos.
I've given up on trying to understand their logic, and or reasoning for their actions. Its like arguing with a 5 year old why he lied about eating a cookie before dinner.

We can compromise....Guests get 3/5ths of a vote.

ig3kjzwtm7sJ3.gif

None of the PC crap. It was a joke. Nothing more... Don't look too deep into it.

Thaaaat's not how it works.

Just a personal comment, but this statement bugs me. I see this type of sentence a lot. Why are you limiting yourself to only one playlist? Broaden your horizons.

I've always enjoyed the bigger player count game types in all my FPS's. I'm in my 40's and it's MUCH easier to hide my suckage when it's 32v32, 9v9 or 8v8. It's a totally different game than those smaller game types and more fun imo. Not sure why it bugs you.

Ran CE in the TS playlist last night with some friends and it was glorious. What a night and day difference this patch has made.

Fun fact: Most of the Halo population is awful at CE, but despite this it gets voted often. If you were turned off by CE's poor netcode before, give it another chance and stick with it. Learn to time, nade points, spawn traps, backpack reload, etc. and enjoy the best and most competitive Halo.

We're getting there with this game, but it still has its issues. Twice last night we got stuck in MM with no matches, but backing out and regrouping fixed it. And we only had one instance where it split teams (our 3v3 got turned into a 2v4 somehow.)

I don't want SMG starts. They're terrible IMO. The game doesn't have a BR only playlist, so I can't go there. There is no Halo CE playlist, but there surely is a Halo 2 Classic, Halo 2A, and Halo 3 playlist, so when I go to the only playlist that has CE that isn't BTB, and it doesn't get picked, I am not staying there. If I wanted H2C/A or Halo 3, I would go the dedicated playlist for them.

As of now, this game can't satisfy my needs in MM, and when it doesn't, I won't stay.

This will come off as dickish, but I feel the same way. In the slayer playlist, I play anything CE and 2/2A with BR starts. SMG starts or 3 and I'm out of there. Same for uneven teams.

This is a playlist issue and not the fault of the player. Once a CE playlist and Team Hardcore playlist with BR starts for 2 and 3 come out this problem will mostly go away as the people looking for those only will transition to the proper playlist.

As of right now the TS playlist is just too broad and I don't blame anyone for quitting out of something that is radically different from what they want. Quitting when you don't get your favorite map is one thing, but looking for CE or 2 BR starts and getting 3 with AR starts on Standoff is kinda shitty. I feel a little bad for ditching someone's team that really wanted to play Halo 3, but they have a whole playlist for that, I don't have one for CE. It ruins my time if I'm stuck playing Halo 3.

Sephzilla

Off topic from the current discussions but I need to sing a praise about something.

I think Headlong might be the best designed map in the entire franchise. It's a map that does something for everyone.

-The paths in the buildings on the sides of the map work great for people who like to play a CQC styled game.

-Great for vehicle gameplay through use of the open center and the roads that lead to it.

-Snipers can dominate the center of the playing field yet there is still plenty of cover for people to take alternative routes (the already mentioned CQC areas)

-The main building (where single flag spawns) is a really well designed 'base' in my opinion. It's got multiple pathways to your objective - from sword, from covie sniper, the main ramps from below, the stairwell from below. But despite these multiple attack paths a good coordinated team strike is usually required just to get someone close to the objective area.

-The offensive team's base, despite being designed as an asymmetric map, is still a pretty nicely designed base on its own for multi-flag or bomb gametypes. Similar to the main base in the game it has multiple entry points but will usually required a decently coordinated strike in order to get into the base (assuming its being defended).

-I don't feel like there's any true "key point" to the map. As in, if a team locks down a certain point in the map they won't instantly dominate.

Headlong really feels like the ideal 'something for everyone' map

Tawpgun

If they could make the veto system less predictable I'd be okay with that. But Halo 3's version of it sucked entirely because it was 95% certain that the second choice was Team Slayer BR or Shotty Snipers. That shit got old fast. Team Slayer is boring compared to objective games anyway.

Halo 2's system was superior.

I just really don't like the idea of getting stuck with a shit map and gametype for the sake of variety.

Would play flag midship ten times in a row before smg slayer on zanzibar

TrounceX

How were you able to tell it was a dedi

You get a connecting to dedicated server message at the start of the game. Sometimes it just flashes by really quick. Another way I think you can tell is if the text announcements are delayed in game. For example if you kill someone and the "you just killed x" takes a few seconds or doesn't display at all.

Zel3

The population for this game must be really low.

I've been matched against twitch.tv streamers twice now. I'm so interested in seeing population numbers.

TrounceX

Does the DD-WRT firmware even support IPV6? I don't think so. Looking at 14929 which has been the recommended build since forever, I don't see it.

I run Tomato on my router, and I have IPv6 disabled. Works fine.

The teredo tunneling protocol that the xbox one uses encapsulates ipv6 packets inside an ipv4 packet, so that shouldn't matter. This packet then goes out to Microsofts teredo relay which unencapsulates the packet and then routes it on. The whole thing just screams unneeded complexity to me, and is probably partly responsible for some of the xbones network issues and inconsistencies. That's just my hunch tho

Ran CE in the TS playlist last night with some friends and it was glorious. What a night and day difference this patch has made.

This is the first patch that has shown considerable and consistent improvements for me. I'm getting games now on all playlists and in short time (and with even teams). I can even get into BTB, which I wasn't able to get at all in to any BTB games with any previous patch.

Hope it continues to improve.

HTupolev

Is the game "safe" for single-player yet, or still too buggy to enjoy?
Single-player is alright as long as you plan on making it through levels in a single sitting; the game randomly destroys save files, and there have been issues with suspect/resume as well.

(Although personally I think I'm mostly going to stick with the original versions of these games for single-player if they don't significantly improve the quality of the ports.)

clav

GAF, I'm tempted to push the refund button for this game.

No dedis just ruin everything.

I didn't pay $60 on launch day for features that don't exist in the E3 trailer.

I know I'm going to catch heat for this but out of the original trilogy, Halo 2 classic has aged the worst for me.

Way too much auto aim bad spawns that can sometimes be on par with CEs and how little time you have to react when under fire is making it very boring to play.

The fact that it's loaded with glitches in comparison to the other Halos make its kind of apparent it was rushed. I'm sure a lot of gamers more hardcore than me is going to disagree.

Replaying in it's original form just makes me want 343 to patch out all of the glitches and then maybe I can enjoy it again like in 2006.

HTupolev

I know I'm going to catch heat for this but out of the original trilogy, Halo 2 classic has aged the worst for me.

Way too much auto aim bad spawns that can sometimes be on par with CEs and how little time you have to react when under fire is making it very boring to play.

The fact that it's loaded with glitches in comparison to the other Halos make its kind of apparent it was rushed. I'm sure a lot of gamers more hardcore than me is going to disagree.

Replaying in it's original form just makes me want 343 to patch out all of the glitches and then maybe I can enjoy it again like in 2006.
The especially bad thing with Halo 2 is that right now it's got loads of SMG starts. Even the H2A stuff has SMG starts everywhere. You can't defend yourself at spawn, and once you actually have weapons, it doesn't feel as good to take people down because you have a really stupid sort of advantage. It's just all-round horrible.

And the worst part is that I have to wade through this shit, on top of the regular MCC infrastructure problems, to play what I bought an XB1 and MCC for (CE MP).

Impala26

GAF, I'm tempted to push the refund button for this game.

No dedis just ruin everything.

I didn't pay $60 on launch day for features that don't exist in the E3 trailer.

Have there been anyone affiliated with 343i or MS who have explicitly stated why there have been issues with the dedis and any sort of timeline to straightening that out?

Top Bottom