• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Laws00

AAANNNDDD its broken again wow after doing such a good job

i think tis because not maybe people have the update downloaded

i hope the update didnt kill match making

Sordid

I'm definitely not playing on dedi's, almost every match I've played has been really laggy. Frequent host migrations confirm it (not that I needed concvincing!)

U.K and I have a 120MB internet connection. The connection is my last real point of concern with this game, it's so close to being in a very playable condition (once this is resolved).

Hmmmm, I'm in the UK too. Maybe US based players are getting dedicated servers?

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm definitely not playing on dedi's, almost every match I've played has been really laggy. Frequent host migrations confirm it (not that I needed concvincing!)

Lag doesn't mean it's not dedicated server, whether or not servers are dedicated doesn't 100% eliminate lag. However if you're getting host migrations than it's definitely not dedicated.

Just started playing some Team Slayer, took 10 seconds to find a game and get in. Definitely feels like dedicated servers for once.

Not sure, but I'm pretty confident in saying that every single player in the UK and AUS in this OTT and the other have stated their connections suck ass.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So just got a new 3gb update that I didn't get prompted for this morning when trying to play.

Patch notes?

Halo 1 has the most obvious host advantage.

Amen.

While I've had 95% of my games run very well with no noticeable lag, I definitely noticed host advantage, especially in Halo 1.

Your comments are spot on. Do I now get penalized because I quit a Halo 1 game because the other team completely quit?

I haven't had a chance to download the update yet, but I'll try to download it later tonight and give some impressions. The comment about dedicated servers is ridiculous. I've said this since the beginning, they need to make it transparent. We should be notified when we're on dedis, and we should be notified when we're not. As an end-user, I honestly have no idea how to provide any feedback about the dedicated server issue other than anecdotal evidence that I've seen host advantage and had laggy games. I'd be able to provide much more helpful feedback if I knew if I was on a dedi or not.

Honestly, though... I'm not really buying that we're playing on dedis the majority of the time.

Also, how do you "punish" users for discounting when all but one of your playlists are ranked?

Leyasu

Banned
If this is to be believed, then they should switch off the p2p! I would rather wait a bit longer than play p2p.

I'm in the EU, and this game is a lagfest. They are obviously now trying to mask this now and have undoubtedly removed the pop up. Also, what is the point of dedicated servers if we are playing out of region?? They neec to patch in a choose the datacenter option... Pronto!

FordGTGuy

Banned
First episode of Spartan Ops ran great in solo for me.

If this is to be believed, then they should switch off the p2p! I would rather wait a bit longer than play p2p.

There might be regions the game is being played where there are no dedicated servers to play on.

They really just need to give end users options and be transparent. I think it's fine if p2p is a fallback in these recent multiplayer games. That being said, we should always know what we're getting and users should probably have the option in their settings to opt out of p2p. There are some users that will want dedis or nothing at all (myself being one of them, unless we're just talking about customs).

darthbob

I can't remember exactly. I thought he said it was just a fallback, but kudos to anyone that can find the exact quote.

We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

I'll collect my kudos at the door.

Leyasu

Banned
I'll collect my kudos at the door.

Yeah but what no one asked him was what datacenters they are using, and what is the ping threshold needed to connect to said datacenters??

Titanfall on the western Europe datacenter for me is 47ms of pure bliss gaming.

Yeah but what no one asked him was what datacenters they are using, and what is the ping threshold needed to connect to said datacenters??

I'm not a huge fan of titanfall as a game, but I do appreciate the datacenter info that they make available immediately after booting up the game. That is exactly what Halo needs, and truthfully all matchmaking games should have it.

Downloading now! The game has actually been running wonderful for me the pass couple of days, so I hope this improves it.
Please still work.

343i might be telling the truth, but since they're either too busy/unwilling to tell us upfront exactly how the dedicated servers systems work, it just comes off as if they're trying to hide something. "Oh yeah, you guys are totally on dedicated servers, you just connect so fast you don't get the message!"

Again, might be completely true, but the player base has been given absolutely zero insight into the system. EDIT: besides their word on the issue, and that P2P is the fallback.

darthbob

343i might be telling the truth, but since they're either too busy/unwilling to tell us upfront exactly how the dedicated servers systems work, it just comes off as if they're trying to hide something. "Oh yeah, you guys are totally on dedicated servers, you just connect so fast you don't get the message!"

Again, might be completely true, but the player base has been given absolutely zero insight into the system. EDIT: besides their word on the issue, and that P2P is the fallback.

It would be nice to see a notification during the setting up game portion of MM to see if we're using Dedis or P2P.

Freeser

Legacy southpaw controls being broken in H2A is frustrating beyond belief. I find it hard to believe it takes 3 weeks to fix a simple thumbstick map.

_woLf

Played a game of Team Slayer in Halo 2 Anniversary on Bloodline last night. Went 24-0...spent the last ~2 minutes of the game trying to find someone for the unfriggenbelievable but couldn't get it :(

Is the game working yet? I have a chance to get it for $40 and was wondering if its worth it?

Is multiplayet working? Is it easy to find games?

_woLf

Is the game working yet? I have a chance to get it for $40 and was wondering if its worth it?

I was in a party with a friend for both co-op and MP last night and we had no problems. Always were on same team, always were still in a party after the game ended. It was nice :)

For $40 yes. It's much better then it was a month ago. I can easily find games with smaller playlists like H2C, but it takes a bit longer for big team matches to be found.

If you're in the EU, UK or AUS, no.

If you're in the US, you have a probably 85% chance of it working the way it should...relatively.

I'm in Oregon and haven't had glaring issues for 2 - 2.5 weeks now.

Though, emblems are still fucked and host advantage in H1 is very real and the games still don't end in H1 even if the entire team has already quit.

MysteryM

Had a game on warlock, had a 49 in the room playing h2a, every else had scores of say 8 kills or so and he had 30. I had double digit assists - he was mopping up everything.

If what 343 say and dedis are on, then i may as well pack it up and call it a day. The game is too laggy to play as it currently stands. It's just isn't fair, I could live with a 10% difference but it's way worse than that.

I'm on a uk fibre line, with 10mbs upload. Titanfall ran like a dream compared to this.

RdN

I still can't play.

343i, Frankie, anyone really, please remember you have players outside the United States and please, please do something about it.

So far so good, for me at least. I wasn't getting anything at first, but I decided to reset my XBO after the update, not having anymore problems.

mbmonk

When I look at my latest packet capture there is an MS IP that I exchange data with roughly 24 times a second. But I also connect to other consumer IPS and exchange data with them around 50 times a second. So if I was on dedicated servers I would like to know what those server's roles are in the games session.

Kssio_Aug

I still can't play.

343i, Frankie, anyone really, please remember you have players outside the United States and please, please do something about it.

Yup... same here...

I mean... maybe I can play, if I stand in the lobby for 10 minutes or more, what I always refuse.

But there I am, at this same moment while posting here:
-Searching for players.............

Then after a long time:
-Looking for more players..................

I mean... seriously???

Sometimes I don't get this ranking system. I deranked for the first time after one loss, and it was against a team with a 48, there whole team was higher in general.

hwalker84

Seriously....am I the only one on Planet Earth who has a constant "Searching for Players..." message at all times for every playlist? I read people are getting into matches and I'm shocked.

I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and nothing has happened. (And I've quit out of the game, restarted the XB1)

Ugh....this game

I'm more surprised people are still having major issues.

Kssio_Aug

What are the chances that I dont have the patch?

I ask this because my console was in standby when i arrived home. Started it directly from the start menu (pinned app) so I could not see if it had the new update symbol at the "my apps" tile.

Hard reseted it, and came back again, it did not ask for an update.

But am stuck at "searching for players..." aswell.

-Open Nat
-No connection issues in my side
-Good internet connection

343 on servers:
it-was-me-austin-o.gif

kinda disappointed the update is mostly Spartan ops though.

mhi

I told you guys. I mostly play Halo2C and when the game is p2p, the ping bars are displayed and lag is noticeable. However when those ping bars aren't present (most games since, i think the third or fourth patch), the game is usually lag free.

Sometimes I don't get this ranking system. I deranked for the first time after one loss, and it was against a team with a 48, there whole team was higher in general.

I don't understand it either. I was a Rank 6 last week (after being reset multiple times) and my team and I (no one over 10) beat a team with a 46 and I believe a 30 something. I never ranked up. I have been reset back to 1 so many times, the Ranking system means nothing to me until it is fixed. I should still be rank 10 unless I have been reset again (haven't played in about 4 days, been going through AC: Unity).

I told you guys. I mostly play Halo2C and when the game is p2p, the ping bars are displayed and lag is noticeable. However when those ping bars aren't present (most games since, i think the third or fourth patch), the game is usually lag free.

Halo 4 always shows ping bars, H2A and H2C had the bars removed after the last patch. Before that most matches would fluctuate between a small yellow bar to a full yellow bar (and sometimes full red for everybody). I'll try the current update tomorrow, hopefully connectivity is better.

RdN

Yup... same here...

I mean... maybe I can play, if I stand in the lobby for 10 minutes or more, what I always refuse.

But there I am, at this same moment while posting here:
-Searching for players.............

Then after a long time:
-Looking for more players..................

I mean... seriously???

I think I even got matched with you for a while.. Cassio_aug, right? Stuck into search forever.

RdN

Yeah! Thats me!

Have you seen your update downloading?

I'm starting to ask myself if our games have not updated yet.

I did, it went through perfectly. I also restarted after it finished.. It's not a problem with the Xbox, the game is broken for people from outside the United States, and 343i keeps ignoring us.

Top Bottom