• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Kssio_Aug

Today I received my "extra month" (what actually may mean I will get the ODST DLC). Just in case if there is someone who still have not received and is losing hope already.

BTails

Today I received my "extra month" (what actually may mean I will get the ODST DLC). Just in case if there is someone who still have not received and is losing hope already.

Did you receive a message as well? I'm at work right now, just checked my Messages and I didn't have anything.

BTails

I did in the Xbox. Not e-mail.
I received a Smartglass notification.

No SmartGlass notification for me, though I'm a little more comforted now that I know that they're still rolling subscription extensions out.

Maybe they're just waiting because I'm Canadian? Haha

Kssio_Aug

No SmartGlass notification for me, though I'm a little more comforted now that I know that they're still rolling subscription extensions out.

Maybe they're just waiting because I'm Canadian? Haha

I dont think the "waves" have something to do with our regions. I mean it because, I bought my game from USA store, and I am Brazilian. Well, most north americans already got their code, as did pratically all my Brazilian gamers friends. So, that was one of the reasons I was losing hope.

But yeah, I guess its safe to assume now that you will get it soon, since theyre still rolling that out.

Fired this up last night for the first time since pre H5... I played 1 H2A (BR slayer on lockout), 1 BTB (H3 multi flag Ctf on sandtrap), and 1 H4 (oddball on Haven I think)...

I might be crazy but I think I enjoyed H4 out of all of those...

I found the shooting to be much better and I actually enjoyed the I inclusion of sprint. Without the weapon drops and totally ignoring the Spartan abilities it was the most fun.

Also still takes a little while to work but it worked pretty good for me BTB took the longest to find a game at about 3 ish minutes

I know this is probably a silly question giving the multitude of more pressing issues that still exist...but has 343 ever said when rankings for other playlists are coming? I mean saying that rankings are coming soon for playlists that have been there since launch and said that since in their description since launch just seems a bit silly. Just remove that from the description if it's never going to happen.

Welfare

I know this is probably a silly question giving the multitude of more pressing issues that still exist...but has 343 ever said when rankings for other playlists are coming? I mean saying that rankings are coming soon for playlists that have been there since launch and said that since in their description since launch just seems a bit silly. Just remove that from the description if it's never going to happen.

Soon™

iMax

PSA:

I've been having all sorts of problems. Shitty matchmaking, can't join friends, slow UI/UI glitches, loading failures, in-game lag, character placement glitches, etc...

Just deleted and re-installed the game... and it's all gone. It's running perfectly. If you haven't tried it, do.

PSA:

I've been having all sorts of problems. Shitty matchmaking, can't join friends, slow UI/UI glitches, loading failures, in-game lag, character placement glitches, etc...

Just deleted and re-installed the game... and it's all gone. It's running perfectly. If you haven't tried it, do.
Redownload all 60+ GB?

Even if they recommended that themselves (which they haven't) I would blanch at that.

iMax

Redownload all 60+ GB?

Even if they recommended that themselves (which they haven't) I would blanch at that.

I've had zero problems since. Interestingly, the re-download is around 10GB smaller, so maybe there was some baggage cumulating from all the previous patches.

PSA:

Would deleting your cache not accomplish the same thing?

This might be wholly inaccurate, but I just went through their official Facebook, and people are NOT pleased there either.

I would consider FB users the more casual user (again, could be fully wrong) but I couldn't help but smile as about 95% of the comments were just ripping on 343.

Kssio_Aug

PSA:

Im not being able to play matchmaking at all. It only stucks at "Searching for players..."

I may erase it today and give that a try. I dont care if it takes long to download everything again, Im not playing anyway.

iMax

Im not being able to play matchmaking at all. It only stucks at "Searching for players..."

I may erase it today and give that a try. I dont care if it takes long to download everything again, Im not playing anyway.

So did I. It works just fine now. Kinda weird.

After finishing Halo CE recently, which was excellent bar the final level
where I felt the age of the game in the driving controls.
I enjoyed the story though, so I jumped into Halo 2: Anniversary.

The HD re-master looks great, even switching back to the original, it still holds up pretty well.

The best thing I can say about this game, which is 10 years old remember, is how well it holds up today. If you didn't know this game was 10 years old and you played the remaster, you would put it right up there with todays shooters.

That is largely down to how great Halo 2 was/is, however it is fair to say that FPS games haven't moved on a great deal since then, especially on the single player side of things.

Anyway, as far as the story goes, I am approaching the end (level 13; Uprising), I am really enjoying the switch up between
Master Chief and the Arbiter.

Playing as the Arbiter, and having the cloak ability, mixes things up nicely. I also find myself using the Energy Sword more (it just feels right).

After my spoiler free experience of Halo CE and my first encounter with the Flood, I was not shocked to see them return in Halo 2. They feel ramped up, especially in their look and feel, as well as them now using heavier weapons and even vehicles.

The last few missions I've had the different factions fighting with each other, with myself taking advantage of different situations. This happened at times in Halo CE, however it feels much better and more 'real' in Halo 2.

One minor criticism I will give the game is the lack of distinction between Enemy Elites. In Destiny, it is clear who they are often with a different colored shield or life bar. I am guessing, back in the day when Halo was originally released, the manual gave some insight into the different enemy types/levels. I am not saying Halo needs to have this overlay like Destiny where the HUD is full of information, just a quick and easy visual indication would be a nice to have.

In terms of non spoiler criticisms of the game, I'd say the resolution drop is noticeable at times. Running both engines at times is great to compare old with new, however it does give limitations to the Anniversary version.

I find myself quickly switching from new to old, just to see how much they had changed. On occasion, I also switch to old because of a noticeable frame rate drop in Anniversary, which is disappointing.

Knowing a lot about the Halo 2 development, and issues with the story telling without spoiling the outcome, I can see what people say now. The story does not flow as well as the original game, but the new revamped cut scenes are fantastic and adds to the experience.

I will look to finish Halo 2 this weekend and then move on to Halo 3.

One minor criticism I will give the game is the lack of distinction between Enemy Elites. In Destiny, it is clear who they are often with a different colored shield or life bar. I am guessing, back in the day when Halo was originally released, the manual gave some insight into the different enemy types/levels. I am not saying Halo needs to have this overlay like Destiny where the HUD is full of information, just a quick and easy visual indication would be a nice to have.

Unspoilering because this bit on its own doesn't spoil anything particularly crazy without context. I feel like you're pretty spot on about the manual thing, actually. When I first started running through Halo 2's campaign I had read the manual prior and while it doesn't touch on that type of stuff specifically, it made it pretty easy to identify Covenant Elites as being your allies, and someone's first go into the campaign in modern day would understandably be a little more confusing because of how minimal the HUD notifications are. I was actually running through Halo 2 co-op with my boyfriend two or three weeks ago and he was having the same problem differentiating the two factions; he's not a big shooter guy in the first place, but until you get the hang of putting two and two together with "red dots on motion tracker + red reticle = shoot this thing" it can definitely present a challenge. It became doubly confusing because we had just gone through Metropolis and blown our way through god knows how many Elites, especially on the Scarab, making the juxtaposition of suddenly having those same Covenant Elites as an ally hard to associate at first.

EDIT: I'm dumb, you meant the hierarchy. Carry on.

Vade

One minor criticism I will give the game is the lack of distinction between Enemy Elites. .

How is this possible? They come in all different colors and that tells you what they do and or their strength. How the hell can you play through the game and not notice this. Black = camo, Blue = weakest and can be jetpack ones, Red = stronger than blue and more mixed arsenal, Gold = sword guy massive shield, White = strongest elite, pulls out sword if you get into melee range, and Red with helms (have either sword or plasma rifle not sure if stronger than regular reds).

This is blows my mind how you can play and not notice that shit...

How is this possible? They come in all different colors and that tells you what they do and or their strength. How the hell can you play through the game and not notice this. Black = camo, Blue = weakest and can be jetpack ones, Red = stronger than blue and more mixed arsenal, Gold = sword guy massive shield, White = strongest elite, pulls out sword if you get into melee range, and Red with helms (have either sword or plasma rifle not sure if stronger than regular reds).

This is blows my mind how you can play and not notice that shit...

Not every game is so on-the-nose about color-coordinating this stuff, though. Save for an occasional quip from Cortana, like "Careful, Chief - that Elite's an Ultra, and those pilots are no pushover either" there's nothing but actual gameplay explicitly laying out the enemy hierarchy for you. It gets doubly complicated because there isn't an explicitly defined sense of escalation / gradation with regards to hues. It doesn't operate on a single spectrum where, say, blue is weakest and green is strongest - ranks just happen to have their respective colors because reasons. The weakest is blue (unless they're using jetpacks), second-weakest is red (unless they're honor guards), spec-ops are brown (unless they happen to be black-armored Spec Ops Majors), sword guys are gold and brown (unless they have white armor or are Honor Guards), honor guards concurrently use one of the weakest weapons (plasma rifle) and strongest (energy sword), etc.

I personally don't have a problem determining the distinction, but I can absolutely see how it would screw with somebody who isn't told the color hierarchy. And don't even get me started on variations and buggy Elite armor mix-ups like Councilors, the Honor Guard Ultra glitch...

Vade

Not every game is so on-the-nose about color-coordinating this stuff, though. Save for an occasional quip from Cortana, like "Careful, Chief - that Elite's an Ultra, and those pilots are no pushover either" there's nothing but actual gameplay explicitly laying out the enemy hierarchy for you. It gets doubly complicated because there isn't an explicitly defined sense of escalation / gradation with regards to hues. It doesn't operate on a single spectrum where, say, blue is weakest and green is strongest - ranks just happen to have their respective colors because reasons. The weakest is blue (unless they're using jetpacks), second-weakest is red (unless they're honor guards), spec-ops are brown (unless they happen to be black-armored Spec Ops Majors), sword guys are gold and brown (unless they have white armor or are Honor Guards), honor guards concurrently use one of the weakest weapons (plasma rifle) and strongest (energy sword), etc.

I personally don't have a problem determining the distinction, but I can absolutely see how it would screw with somebody who isn't told the color hierarchy. And don't even get me started on variations and buggy Elite armor mix-ups like Councilors, the Honor Guard Ultra glitch...

Do you use any logic at all? Serious here, how can you play and not think "hmm that guy took more bullets and that other guy he is probably higher ranked or I am pretty far in the game and there is a new version of these guys he is probably higher ranked".

Do you need a MGS encyclopedia app to play any game because you cannot use basic common sense to figure out rank and or power or do you need a Final Fantasy xiii codex. Sure there is shit such as " does a jetpack guy rank higher than a camo guy?" well there is a Wikipedia for that shit.

If you cannot figure out basic rank and strength structure from playing the game maybe you need a Brady TM. guide book so you can pause the game every fight and decipher the super cryptic structure.

Now I remember why I didn't play more of Halo 4. Everything about it is a gimmick. The jetpacks in multiplayer add an element of randomness that I just don't like. The rest of the abilities are pretty useless, too.

And the Forerunner are no fun at all to fight. Flying dudes that take three BR/DMR shots and then fly away? Little dog dudes that can somehow shoot snipers? Knights that take 27 DMR bullets to kill, and once they get damaged, warp away from you and recover health? They somehow made an enemy race that is less fun to fight than the Flood.

Do you use any logic at all? Serious here, how can you play and not think "hmm that guy took more bullets and that other guy he is probably higher ranked or I am pretty far in the game and there is a new version of these guys he is probably higher ranked".

Do you need a MGS encyclopedia app to play any game because you cannot use basic common sense to figure out rank and or power or do you need a Final Fantasy xiii codex. Sure there is shit such as " does a jetpack guy rank higher than a camo guy?" well there is a Wikipedia for that shit.

If you cannot figure out basic rank and strength structure from playing the game maybe you need a Brady TM. guide book so you can pause the game every fight and decipher the super cryptic structure.

jesus

While I'll say that guy is extra salty, bordering on spicy, for no reason...

Typically, the bad elites are the ones shooting at you.

EDIT: Read the whole thing. Carry on.

Welfare

This just in!

Battlefield 4, a game released 427 days, or 1 year, 2 months, and 1 day ago, is beating Halo MCC in population.

How can I be sure?

Your Xbox can tell you. Go to the game store and there will be a section of top games right now. BF4 is at the end of the list. MCC is no where on the list.

BF4 right now? 18,824 people are playing.

MCC? Below that.

343, how could you fuck this up?

This just in!

Battlefield 4, a game released 427 days, or 1 year, 2 months, and 1 day ago, is beating Halo MCC in population.

How can I be sure?

Your Xbox can tell you. Go to the game store and there will be a section of top games right now. BF4 is at the end of the list. MCC is no where on the list.

BF4 right now? 18,824 people are playing.

MCC? Below that.

343, how could you fuck this up?

I keep thinking about picking up BF4, but it seems like it's just purely diehards who play with all upgraded gear.

Akai__

Cross posting from HaloGAF:

I just spat my drink out, because this happened to me:

hG9S0cU.png

The MCC is self aware of it's current state. LMAO

Welfare

Cross post

The sad thing is that if the game has 20,000 concurrent users on at a single time, the multiplayer is extremely dead, as you would be assuming all 20,000 of those users are in matchmaking, and not in Campaign, forge, customs, or Spartan Ops.

There are 11 playlists in MM. That means if everything was equally split, only 1,818 are in a playlist.

Now of course, playlists aren't equal, so some playlists might be over 2,000, but you still must factor in that there are other modes in MCC besides matchmaking.

Just assuming 70% of all players are in matchmaking (a very high percentage), that's only 14,000 players, or an average of 1,272 players in each playlist.

Like holy shit, not only is this game dead, but it's DEAD.

I find it appalling that 343 let this game get into this situation, and is so fucking worried, they won't even let its user base look at the population numbers in each playlist to see if it's even worth a damn to search in multiplayer.

343 might be working on matchmaking, but you can't fix a low population.

#addinpopulationcounter

Fuchsdh

Nothing like a health bar and enemy name to take me out of the game and make me feel like I'm playing an MMO.

You can kill pretty efficiently with any gun in the game really. I only play Rush though, Conquest bores me to tears.

Nah.

BF4 is pretty good to newcomers still

I consistently see new ranks every week.

unlocks in bf4 are the worst
kobra sight is a random unlock
n6EnMMO.gif

So, is the game pretty much functional now at this point? I just don't know if I'm willing to fork over $60 for the premium edition (which is download only) to buy this when Hardline is just around the corner.

And I've heard that about the unlocks...doesn't sound exactly fun, especially for the bow?

Top Bottom