• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

HTupolev

Gave MCC another shot tonight. First time trying the current patch (my consoles were without internet for a bit). For a little while we were doing a vaguely okay job of getting games. Some instances of broken searching, tons and tons of party splitting, plenty of fighting MCC CE's broken reticle magnetism, a splash of being dumped into some random people's custom lobby, and of one of these beauties.

One of the failures was pretty, uh, interesting. When a game of 4v4 on Lockout was loading, one of our party crashed to dash, I got dumped into the MCC menus, and our last guy wound up in a game by himself... receiving the MVP achievement in the process.

Hopefully this seemingly-actually-major upcoming patch does something. :/

Leyasu

Banned
Gave MCC another shot tonight. First time trying the current patch (my consoles were without internet for a bit). For a little while we were doing a vaguely okay job of getting games. Some instances of broken searching, tons and tons of party splitting, plenty of fighting MCC CE's broken reticle magnetism, a splash of being dumped into some random people's custom lobby, and of one of these beauties.

One of the failures was pretty, uh, interesting. When a game of 4v4 on Lockout was loading, one of our party crashed to dash, I got dumped into the MCC menus, and our last guy wound up in a game by himself... receiving the MVP achievement in the process.

Hopefully this seemingly-actually-major upcoming patch does something. :/

I played last night, BTB could never find the 12th person. It did manage one game of 14, but we got the "host migration" message (lol dedicated servers my fucking arse you useless fuckers), then it crashed.

I played halo 4 afterwards, and it was p2p after p2p. This whole thing just reeks of rushed. But it would seem that they don't know how to fix it.

psychotron

Finished the Master Chief Saga playlist tonight. Might just trade this in now. Wonder if I'll need it to play ODST when it releases.

How much can you get for a used Xbox One without Kinect? I gave it one last go today. What a colossal disappointment that can only be matched by... ...actually nothing. Well done whoever worked on this piece of shit.

Now finished my first play throughout of Halo CE-Halo 3.

Started the first few levels of Halo 4 and
Dat COD influence[/]. In all seriousness, I like the better production feel that has gone into Halo 4. A few things though:

Audio: A huge double edged sword. You can see how much effort 343 put in to some of audio and the atmosphere of the game is generally very good.

But... Oh one big but. What did they do to the weapon sounds? They sound appalling. Like, really awful. I am glad, from the Halo 5 beta, that 343 have greatly improved the sound of the weapons.

Graphics: While this version is 1080p, unlike Halo 3, the graphics almost look next gen. How they squeezed this out of a 360 is a true testament to the talent at 343.

Gameplay: At its core, this feels just like the 3 previous games. Sprint is introduced, with a few new perks, weapons, and enemies... But nothing dramatic has changed (at least up to the 3rd mission).

It holds hands a bit more with way points to help you get from A to B. People can argue if this is a good or bad thing, sometimes it points things out a bit too much. I liked the "lost" feelin of Halo and Halo 2, where you could explore a little more. So far, Halo 4 feels a little bit more enclosed. Not a dramatic step down.

Overall: My first impressions are overall, pretty good. The changes from Halo CE right through to Halo 4 has kept the game fresh enough that I am yet to get bored or tired of the same thing.

That is credit to 343, because they did have a tough act to follow. The sound and audio is good for the most part, but completely spoilt by the weapons.

I am looking forward to finishing off the chiefs story from the mainline series and how Halo 4 pans out.

Chitown B

How much can you get for a used Xbox One without Kinect? I gave it one last go today. What a colossal disappointment that can only be matched by... ...actually nothing. Well done whoever worked on this piece of shit.

what's your problem with the X1? I mean, you couldn't have spent $420 just to play Halo, right?

DJ Gunner

what's your problem with the X1? I mean, you couldn't have spent $420 just to play Halo, right?

Where should we start? The poor performance on most multiplats compared to PS4, the embarassingly slow and clunky UI, the network problems caused by instant on, the lack of voice messages, the party chat function being completely unreliable, etc. etc. etc.

Alot of people bought the console just for Halo. I was one of them. Maybe stupidly, I still have faith that the game can be fixed, so I'm holding on to mine for the moment. But I don't play anything else on it.

Chitown B

Where should we start? The poor performance on most multiplats compared to PS4, the embarassingly slow and clunky UI, the network problems caused by instant on, the lack of voice messages, the party chat function being completely unreliable, etc. etc. etc.

Alot of people bought the console just for Halo. I was one of them. Maybe stupidly, I still have faith that the game can be fixed, so I'm holding on to mine for the moment. But I don't play anything else on it.

I own both X1 and PS4. I don't have any problem with the graphics on X1. Anyone who does is really grasping at straws.

Compared to my PS4 I love my X1's interface. Snapping is awesome. Party Chat has issues for sure, which I imagine will be worked out - they update the thing multiple times a month and are very transparent with it, and the preview program. No voice messages is fine since it's almost as fast just to type out with the smart glass app anyway, and you can read those anywhere on your phone rather than having to be at the X1 like you did with 360 for voice messages.

Lmao @ listing lack of voice messages as a con.

Mine01

I dont really find the ui that slow and "nonsensical".

The only thing I think that I don't like is the store.

Anyway, looking forward to the preview beta, can anyone send me an invite to the preview program?

Madness

I dont really find the ui that slow and "nonsensical".

The only thing I think that I don't like is the store.

Anyway, looking forward to the preview beta, can anyone send me an invite to the preview program?

The worst is how settings is hidden in games and apps, rather than off to the end like it was in xbox 360. The Xbox One OS is definitely clunky, slow, and very poorly designed. Everything from messaging friends, changing settings, takes much longer or needs more steps than necessary. Over reliance on Kinect which is all but a dead accessory now. I can't wait for the Windows 10 unification and changes.

The worst is how settings is hidden in games and apps, rather than off to the end like it was in xbox 360. The Xbox One OS is definitely clunky, slow, and very poorly designed. Everything from messaging friends, changing settings, takes much longer or needs more steps than necessary. Over reliance on Kinect which is all but a dead accessory now. I can't wait for the Windows 10 unification and changes.
You can get to settings by just pressing start on the home or any other system page.

Mine01

Maybe I don't see the problem since I pinned settings to the dashboard since the first day I got the system. About the messaging thing I mostly use smartglass on my phone so yes, I haven't had a problem with it. But yes, the os sometimes feel slow, but not as much as I've seen people say.

From a design POV I like that settings - something you should rarely be going into after your initial setup- isn't front and centre in the dash like it was on the 360 dashboard.

It's easy to get to as well just press the start button on the home screen and it'll be an option in the context sensitive menu.

I don't think we will see much front end changes with Windows 10.

Sai

I hate listening to voice messages. Haven't listened to one since halo 2. With smartglass and usb keyboards it's not hard to send text messages.
I guess I just haven't gotten used to using Smartglass, but I really miss my 360's chat pad for text input. I think they had one planned for the Xbox One before it's launch, but I haven't heard anything since.

I also dislike the Xbox One's UI. Compared to the 360's, anyways.

This conversation started because of folks buying it for Halo alone, right? I personally know at least two guys who did just that. One of them did not take kindly to the changes in Halo 5, and that was on top of the disappointment brought about by the MCC's issues. Heavy buyer's remorse, there.

DJ Gunner

Lol so even with this update they are't confident enough in being able to properly create a 2v2 match for doubles.

There is truly no hope.

Actually paid much more with buying the game and a year of Live.
I have nearly 80,000 Gamerscore on 360. I was all about Halo and Xbox. I am so soured by this. With every commercial trying to sell a broken product this consoles fate in my home was sealed. Actually I wish that was the only reason. I want a WiiU and can't afford both. =D PS4 is my multiplat AAA game player.

Ramirez

So all hope is lost :(

Think about this, even when the game finally works, you're still probably looking at another month or two before they get the correct settings/hit detection issues fixed, lol.

It's going to be awkward if that extra content gets finished before the game works, lol.

Fuchsdh

Are Halo 1-4 really 60 FPS? I've read conflicting reports on this

Generally. The difference is how stable they are. At launch, CE had some fairly severe (and random) drops down to the mid 40s, but there was an update explicitly targeted at that and I haven't noticed the same issues as were highlighted originally. Digital Foundry credited H2A and H3 as the most rock-solid.

Generally. The difference is how stable they are. At launch, CE had some fairly severe (and random) drops down to the mid 40s, but there was an update explicitly targeted at that and I haven't noticed the same issues as were highlighted originally. Digital Foundry credited H2A and H3 as the most rock-solid.

So Halo 4 has the worst FPS of the collection?

Top Bottom