• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

jem0208

Yep, halo 5 looks pretty great, and I will totally post about stuff happening at sdcc and gamescom here regarding it. I cannot believe we would be at fault discussing the franchise in this thread.

Pretty sure it got locked because of a certain couple pages of "gifs" that were quite inappropriate.

AR starts promote map movement, didn't you get the memo?

Yeah, I guess this is new HaloGAF for now.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind AR starts if they weren't such boring weapons to use. At least in H5 the AR is kinda satisfying. The H3 AR is the definition of a pea shooter.

Regarding patches for the MCC, what's left to be fixed? Most major issues seem to be fine for me, the most annoying thing I run into is the H4 sound glitch on the Pit.

They really do need to get around to fixing the playlist settings though, fuck H3 AR starts.

There's a fair few little things, but the one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Player Trait Zones are still useless in H4 Forge (there's no menu to adjust the properties of the zones as it was on the pause screen in H4) unless they fixed that when I wasn't looking.

There's a fair few little things, but the one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Player Trait Zones are still useless in H4 Forge (there's no menu to adjust the properties of the zones as it was on the pause screen in H4) unless they fixed that when I wasn't looking.

ODST coop campaign "saving" bug.

Haruko

Wait... You can drive a vehicle with the flag in CE????

Yup.

Extremely OP on Blood Gulch BTB with all-vehicle set of 2 hogs, 1 ghost, 1 scorpion per team. But it balances the quick TTK and touch returns.

Though I could have sworn on OG Xbox CE, that you saw the Flag sticking out of the vehicle when the driver had the flag (similar to passenger). My memory may be wrong...

EDIT: down to High Charity and the Great Journey on my H2A legendary run. Taking longer than I thought; I think the Boom skull is more of a detriment when facing so many Brute Shots...

They could probably take a few less precision shots, but admittedly the gold elites take nearly just as many.

Problem with knights are how quick they are to teleport when their shields are down, and by the time you reacquire them, they have full shields. So that could be solved easily by not letting them teleport when their shields are down, and making their shields come back more slowly. Also, the invulnerability frames and/or lack of a distinct head hitbox when their shields pop is annoying.

They actually remind me of the Fallen Captains in Destiny, the second you take down their shields they just go and hide. The Prometheans in general were just boring to fight compared to the many different races of the Covenant, hell even the Flood were more exciting to fight. The Crawlers weren’t too bad, a bit bland but whatever. However, the Watchers and Knights are annoying, the instant they take damage they just try to go hide. So it just turns into these bullet sponges because they are constantly hiding and recharging their shields.

HaloGAF is dead, and treating this thread as a substitute is probably going to get it locked.

In other news ODST is neat, but man those faces are bad. Watching Dare and Fillon is like watching two peeled potatoes get to first base.

Ramirez

HaloGAF is dead, and treating this thread as a substitute is probably going to get it locked.

In other news ODST is neat, but man those faces are bad. Watching Dare and Fillon is like watching two peeled potatoes get to first base.

So, is Halo discussion just banned on GAF now? Lol

The shit posters should just be banned, but whatever.

I hope we see more Arena at Gamescom.

Madness

Folks got what they wanted. Didn't even contribute to any meaningful Halo discussion, got the thread moved and locked. The Halo community is finished on GAF then. If we can't have a general purpose Halo OT because of its 'history' what's even the point? The reason for Halo OT was because we would talk about ALL games. The books, the novel, the music, the devs, etc. It wasn't just whatever was flavor of the week.

Ignore the hundreds of and hundreds of pages of good solid Halo discussion and posts and cherry pick the bad ones to justify closing the community down. Maybe instead of just locking overall, if you did watch the threads, moderate the discussion when you see issues. Whatever.

I guess I should start posting these here now, last few nights playing MCC and the game has taken huge strides to being what I wanted from the game. Jump in to quick games and enjoy Halo on my own or with friends. It saddens me that the objective playlist didn't get to stick around, I blame you the community, yeah you reading this you suck for not playing objective :)

SOLO
1. Slayer - all found 3mins, H3 The Pit, good connection.
2. Slayer - all found 1 min, H2 Lockout, decent connection.
3. Slayer - all found 1min, CE Wizard, average connection.
4. Slayer - all found, 2mins, H2 Ivory Tower, good connection.

PARTY OF 5
1. H4 ranked Vertigo KOTH - 3mins all found, great connection, no quitters.
2. H4 ranked Pitfall slayer - 2mins all found, great connection, no quitters.
3. H4 ranked - 2mins all but one found, had to back out as one of our players split/called it a night. We picked up another mate to make 5 again.
4. H4 ranked Haven slayer, 2mins all found, shitty connection, teleporting and appeared to be standby cheating in a P2P game??? Pretty sure a cheating P2P host.
5. H4 ranked Adrift KOTH - 3mins all found, great connection, 2 quitters due to losing not game fault.
6. H4 ranked - 1min 9 found, 4mins hung search, 1 backed out, stuck at 8 found, 9 found 1min then search restarted.
7. H4 ranked Adrift Oddball - 2mins all found, solid connection no quitters.
8. H4 ranked Pitfall slayer - 2mins all found, great connection.
9. H4 ranked Haven KOTH - 3mins all found, good connection, no quitters.
10. H4 ranked Haven extraction - 1min all found, average connection, no quitters.
11. H4 ranked, no one found 4mins. Called it a night.

SOLO
1. Slayer - all found 1 min, H3 good connection, no quitters.
2. Slayer - all found 1 min, H3 great connection, quitters on enemy team and last 10 kills, not game or connection fault.
3. H2A ranked, no players found 3mins.

My bad for having a hand in the OT getting locked. You post one GIF one time and all hell breaks lose
maybe two
. You know there are far worse GIFs and threads on gaming side related to anime or cops killing with links to videos etc. Locke was overkill if you ask me, it's was just some ass and a carrot. A lot of the music videos or pics that get linked/embedded are far worse even. Whatever I'll await the inevitable next Halo OT.

RSB

Banned

Yeah, when it comes to the character models, ODST and Halo 5 look two generations apart. It's gonna be great having Buck looking like Nathan Fillion, finally.

Yeah, when it comes to the character models, ODST and Halo 5 look two generations apart. It's gonna be great having Buck looking like Nathan Fillion, finally.

I was most impressed with the facial capture and how it is being transferred to the game. They did a great job in Halo 4 on limited tech, to create engaging-looking characters, so it'll be all the better with h5.

105169479-full.jpg

Nathan_Fillion_Halo_5.JPG

Just please... No more peeled potatoes. Or this...

Glass

This is all very confusing.

We were moved to Off Topic because the talk wasn't kept on topic i.e you're not keeping things Halo related, enjoy your time in Off Topic instead. And then its locked for going off topic? Despite the common thread running through being very much Halo related.

Is the first move not to punish individual posters rather then the entire community?

OrochiJR

Hey guys, I have a slightly OT question regarding Halo Reach. So I played through Halo CE back when the MCC was released, and through Halo 2, 3 and ODST over the last couple of weeks. For the full experience in release order I ordered Reach on the 360 and want to play through it before starting Halo 4.

Now I'm wondering, how jarring will the transition be going from the 1080p/60fps campaigns to the last gen Reach? I don't suppose it runs with 60fps, or does it?

Hey guys, I have a slightly OT question regarding Halo Reach. So I played through Halo CE back when the MCC was released, and through Halo 2, 3 and ODST over the last couple of weeks. For the full experience in release order I ordered Reach on the 360 and want to play through it before starting Halo 4.

Now I'm wondering, how jarring will the transition be going from the 1080p/60fps campaigns to the last gen Reach? I don't suppose it runs with 60fps, or does it?

Reach wasn't 60fps, but it was still a pretty smooth game.

jem0208

I can't see how talking about Halo in a Halo thread could possibly be used to justify locking it.

This insistence on making all discussion topical does nothing but to stifle it. Fragmenting the discussion through multiple different threads based on different news stories is ridiculous. What if I wanted to discuss the intricacies of modifying the kill times of the pistol in H5 and its effects on the meta of the game? Do I make a new thread?

We just need to stop going off the rails with stupid gifs, Destiny, horrific fan fiction etc.

The annoying this is that we weren't even that far off topic when we got moved. There was a page of gifs yet even half of those were technically related to Halo discussion. Obviously it spiraled a little out of control after being moved however even the last page or so before it got locked was on topic again.

Anyway, mini rant over.

The grind through the lower ranks of the H4 playlist is still rough even in the teens. It's getting slightly better though. It's gunna be weird playing against somewhat good players in the H4 playlist.

Regarding patches for the MCC, what's left to be fixed? Most major issues seem to be fine for me, the most annoying thing I run into is the H4 sound glitch on the Pit.

They really do need to get around to fixing the playlist settings though, fuck H3 AR starts.
Still crashing for folks. Think I saw it crashed 3/4 times during a session one of the RUL guys were doing at the weekend.

Still crashing for folks. Think I saw it crashed 3/4 times during a session one of the RUL guys were doing at the weekend.

Me and my buddys had a lot of crashes two days ago...

And yesterday too with H2A MP...

It still needs fixing. Oh and that Playlist management is a pain.

SMG Starts, AR Objective etc... its disgusting that this stuff is still in rotation.

But it looks like that 343 doesnt care anymore. That new Community Update has no word on Playlist updates or MCC in general. All aboard the H5 train i guess?

zychi

Banned
Tried this game again at my buddy's tonight.

Has Halo 3 Legendary with 3 or 4 people been made harder? I remember running through it on 360 and it wasn't bad. We booted up the 360 version and got to the same point in the game in half the time. Did 343 mess up the difficulty/change it too?

Reach wasn't 60fps, but it was still a pretty smooth game.

Eh... Reach is perhaps my favorite Halo and one of my all-time favorite games
(yeah that's right, fight me HaloGAF)
, but I don't think I would say it's "pretty smooth". It's not all over the place or anything, but it has more dips than any Halo game outside of CE on OG Xbox and easily the lowest average framerate. It's definitely going to be very noticeable going between it and MCC.

Which is why I really, really hope MCC gets a Reach port. Or even a standalone port if need be. Reach at a solid 60FPS would be amazing.

I do wonder how Reach's much more aggressive motion blur will translate over though.

Has Halo 3 Legendary with 3 or 4 people been made harder? I remember running through it on 360 and it wasn't bad. We booted up the 360 version and got to the same point in the game in half the time. Did 343 mess up the difficulty/change it too?

It didn't seem changed to us at all when we went through on coop legendary. That'd be interesting if they jacked up the difficulty, but I don't think they did any tweaking like that. Sure you didn't have skulls on? :p

Eh... Reach is perhaps my favorite Halo and one of my all-time favorite games
(yeah that's right, fight me HaloGAF)
, but I don't think I would say it's "pretty smooth". It's not all over the place or anything, but it has more dips than any Halo game outside of CE on OG Xbox and easily the lowest average framerate. It's definitely going to be very noticeable going between it and MCC.

Which is why I really, really hope MCC gets a Reach port. Or even a standalone port if need be. Reach with at a solid 60FPS would be amazing.

I do wonder how Reach's much more aggressive motion blur will translate over though.

The motion blur would need to be adjusted for 60fps for sure.

I haven't played Reach in a while so my memory must be cloudy on the framerates haha. That aside though, Reach was fun! Also, it had one of the most frustrating achievements in all the Halo's:

Can you guess which one? :p

I bet this wasn't as hard for others as it was for me, but I spent well over an hour trying to get it haha.

No, it's definitely the same (and if it had changed, it definitely would have been something widely discussed by now).

For what it's worth, I had basically the opposite experience as you.

The motion blur would need to be adjusted for 60fps for sure.

I haven't played Reach in a while so my memory must be cloudy on the framerates haha. That aside though, Reach was fun and, for me, one of the most frustrating achievements:

Can you guess which one? :p

I played an obscene amount of Reach so pretty much everything about it is still pretty vivid in my mind lol.

Also, I loved that achievement haha. Probably took more attempts than the vast majority of achievements I've gone for, but I wasn't even mad lol. It just got more hilarious with each try, which is funny because I am very easily frustrated. Every time I've played that level since, I've made at least one attempt at it. :p

COME ON 343, BRING IT BACK. I WILL PAY YOU ALL THE MONIES FOR REACH DLC
though hey, $5 would be cool too because I'm broke

Edit: Does this count as port begging? lul

I played an obscene amount of Reach so pretty much everything about it is still pretty vivid in my mind lol.

Also, I loved that achievement haha. Probably took more attempts than the vast majority of achievements I've gone for, but I wasn't even mad lol. It just got more hilarious with each try, which is funny because I am very easily frustrated. Every time I've played that level since, I've made at least one attempt at it. :p

#PortBeg

At least we'll get it, in a way, with backwards compatibility. Not the same as an actual port, but better than nothing!

zychi

Banned

If they got Reach to work, and put a separate SWAT mode for Reach only. I would rebuy this game after all of the shit I've talked about it since November, they would have to do it before Reach is BC on X1 tho. Otherwise itll be too little too late

Akai__

I hoped that my Killjoy achievement progress would restore itself, after getting a Killjoy in a match. But instead of jumping back to 83%, where I actually was, it jumped from 3% to 4%.

It's already a terrible achievement and I had like ~50 Kill Joys left, but now they want me to do them all over again? Wow...

If they got Reach to work, and put a separate SWAT mode for Reach only. I would rebuy this game after all of the shit I've talked about it since November, they would have to do it before Reach is BC on X1 tho. Otherwise itll be too little too late

I second a Reach SWAT-only playlist. That was the jam.

#PortBeg

At least we'll get it, in a way, with backwards compatibility. Not the same as an actual port, but better than nothing!

True, and either way it'll be nice to have all of my Halos on one console for once (at least once Halo Wars is also backwards compatible).

Reach SWAT was the shit. Played so much of that haha. I doubt they'd do a dedicated playlist though. :( And it'll definitely not come before backwards compatibility. Reach will be ready by the time the feature officially rolls out in a few months, and they've said no Xbox One port is currently in the works, MCC or otherwise. Which sucks, because I was hoping it would have been revealed at E3 for Reach's 5th anniversary this year.

I always had a good time lurking the HaloGaf thread but perhaps its closing can raise this thread back from the dead. I have a lot to talk about concerning the MCC.

Now on-topic, more and more people are finding out how to 'dodge' out of the matchmaking lobby once a game and map has been voted for. This causes to restart the search for players and a new voting round will happen. This is the lamest thing ever, especially when a map gets voted for which almost never appears in matchmaking. Anyone else annoyed by this?

I always had a good time lurking the HaloGaf thread but perhaps its closing can raise this thread back from the dead. I have a lot to talk about concerning the MCC.

Then by all means, do. Maybe if we talk enough about an actual game we'll get community privileges back (tho I'm not holding my breath, lol).

Now on-topic, more and more people are finding out how to 'dodge' out of the matchmaking lobby once a game and map has been voted for. This causes to restart the search for players and a new voting round will happen. This is the lamest thing ever, especially when a map gets voted for which almost never appears in matchmaking. Anyone else annoyed by this?

At this point quitters of any kind are the worst thing about MCC. Like seriously, I don't give a shit if you didn't get the map/game/type combo you wanted. Just let the rest of us play Halo without having to deal with reset matchmaking/voting and/or uneven teams. I don't jump out if your shitty choice gets picked, so don't jump out on mine.

Which is also why JIP haters suck.

Jip sucks, There are not much postive points for it. Especially in a Ranked environment.

Not getting royally fucked by quitters (especially when one quitter causes a cascading effect of everyone quitting, particularly in BTB) is a pretty massive positive in my book.

And screw ranking. People's e-penises are a terrible reason to not have JIP for the people who just want to play the damn game. At least do the Gears thing if ranking is so important: JIP for social, none for ranked.

At this point quitters of any kind are the worst thing about MCC. Like seriously, I don't give a shit if you didn't get the map/game/type combo you wanted. Just let the rest of us play Halo without having to deal with reset matchmaking/voting and/or uneven teams. I don't jump out if your shitty choice gets picked, so don't jump out on mine.

Which is also why JIP haters suck.

JiP is basically the worst possible solution to the quitting problem. It's basically trying to fill a leaky bucket with some kind of high-volume hose that requires punching an even bigger hole in the bottom. People quit more easily since they figure they'll just be replaced; and granted, with a proper system, they will be. But they generally aren't replaced immediately, and in the interval, their team ends up at a decided disadvantage. It's not much fun for the joiners, either, since they inevitably end up in a pretty bad position.

To go back to the original metaphor, rather than using this outlandish bucket filling tool, we could just... patch up the bucket? Quit penalties and quitter's jails are the way to go, IMO. Works for MOBAs and fighting games, don't see why it wouldn't work here. Don't let quitters join a new game until their old one is finished (with the option to rejoin at any time), stick repeat offenders in jail where they can only play other quitters. I'd shy away from ranking penalties, other than making a quit count as a simple loss, since more extravagant penalties just encourages derankers.

JiP is basically the worst possible solution to the quitting problem. It's basically trying to fill a leaky bucket with some kind of high-volume hose that requires punching an even bigger hole in the bottom. People quit more easily since they figure they'll just be replaced; and granted, with a proper system, they will be. But they generally aren't replaced immediately, and in the interval, their team ends up at a decided disadvantage. It's not much fun for the joiners, either, since they inevitably end up in a pretty bad position.

To go back to the original metaphor, rather than using this outlandish bucket filling tool, we could just... patch up the bucket? Quit penalties and quitter's jails are the way to go, IMO. Works for MOBAs and fighting games, don't see why it wouldn't work here. Don't let quitters join a new game until their old one is finished (with the option to rejoin at any time), stick repeat offenders in jail where they can only play other quitters. I'd shy away from ranking penalties, other than making a quit count as a simple loss, since more extravagant penalties just encourages derankers.

COD has changed things forever. JIP is necessary these days imo. Most people arent professional hardcore gamers, they just wanna jump in and jump out quickly. All games are like this now. Its one of the big reasons that those old school R6 games (where you died and waited for the round to end to come back in) didnt work anymore. People have no patience anymore. Ill be curious to see how the new one does. But all that to say, one of the reasons i dont play MCC much is because for one, quitters and two, it doesnt keep you in matchmaking after the game ends. But going into a game and seeing that it starts off unbalanced or when you see people dropping, i just dont see the point to keep going.

Fuchsdh

Ridiculous. H4 SWAT was fantastic with the BR.

Well, I see this point, because of how the BR is a three-shot weapon. You are essentially playing with an advantage for headshots.

Plus especially in Halo 4 the DMR is a much more satisfying weapon to hit people with.

Whynotboth.gif?

It'd be great to see things like a rejoin for people who get d/ced (like Dota 2), and I think in most cases I'd rather have people join in progress (although I understand why some people hate getting into a 3-0 objective game and the like.) Those can work in conjunction with penalties and waiting periods for quitters so that they're less likely to quit in general.

Impala26

Yep, halo 5 looks pretty great, and I will totally post about stuff happening at sdcc and gamescom here regarding it. I cannot believe we would be at fault discussing the franchise in this thread.

Pretty sure it got locked because of a certain couple pages of "gifs" that were quite inappropriate.

AR starts promote map movement, didn't you get the memo?

The funny part is that the thread WAS getting back on topic over the course of the final page... but I guess the grave was dug long before that.

Can we at least keep afloat here until/just after Gamescom?

Not getting royally fucked by quitters (especially when one quitter causes a cascading effect of everyone quitting, particularly in BTB) is a pretty massive positive in my book.

And screw ranking. People's e-penises are a terrible reason to not have JIP for the people who just want to play the damn game. At least do the Gears thing if ranking is so important: JIP for social, none for ranked.

I've been saying this for a few years now.

Well, I see this point, because of how the BR is a three-shot weapon. You are essentially playing with an advantage for headshots.

Plus especially in Halo 4 the DMR is a much more satisfying weapon to hit people with.

True. It is a slight advantage, but swat was designed with the BR as the main weapon of use. To say that swat was never meant for a BR is just silly haha. :p

Top Bottom