• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Admodieus

I wish online Halo was more like Halo 1 PC, with a huge server browser and matches that you could hop in and hop out of anytime. Was awesome just playing a never ending CTF map rotation with people joining at any time. Don't care about ranking, it doesn't matter to me.

How is JiP good? It's terrible and doesn't belong in a competitive environment.

Thing is, Xbox Live isnt a professional competitive gaming league. Its an online service. If you were talking about MLG or something, then yes, id agree.

I wish online Halo was more like Halo 1 PC, with a huge server browser and matches that you could hop in and hop out of anytime. Was awesome just playing a never ending CTF map rotation with people joining at any time. Don't care about ranking, it doesn't matter to me.

Man, on the OG xbox, playing Rainbow Six was exactly like that and it was amazing. I made so many friends just going into servers, chatting with all the players in between rounds, or when you died. It was an amazing way to make new friends. Then halo2 came out, made the party system, matchmaking and it all went to hell.

Admodieus

Hopefully they will solve this in Halo 5 by making it like Gears. The e-Sports like modes without JIP, Warzone and other casual modes with JIP turned on

COD has changed things forever. JIP is necessary these days imo. Most people arent professional hardcore gamers, they just wanna jump in and jump out quickly. All games are like this now. Its one of the big reasons that those old school R6 games (where you died and waited for the round to end to come back in) didnt work anymore. People have no patience anymore. Ill be curious to see how the new one does. But all that to say, one of the reasons i dont play MCC much is because for one, quitters and two, it doesnt keep you in matchmaking after the game ends. But going into a game and seeing that it starts off unbalanced or when you see people dropping, i just dont see the point to keep going.

People (speaking broadly) do still have the patience. Setting aside the aforementioned MOBA example, CounterStrike doesn't have this issue, nor Team Fortress. Neither is cursed with a plague of quitters. It's not something inherent to the genre, it's a problem with the current setup not sufficiently disincentivizing it.

Well, I see this point, because of how the BR is a three-shot weapon. You are essentially playing with an advantage for headshots.

Plus especially in Halo 4 the DMR is a much more satisfying weapon to hit people with.

Whynotboth.gif?

It'd be great to see things like a rejoin for people who get d/ced (like Dota 2), and I think in most cases I'd rather have people join in progress (although I understand why some people hate getting into a 3-0 objective game and the like.) Those can work in conjunction with penalties and waiting periods for quitters so that they're less likely to quit in general.

I could a social/ranked split happening, where quite penalties and jail are the norm in ranked gameplay, and JiP in social. That could work. In the MCC, cross-game playlists are clearly going to remain unranked (for good reason), but in
Halo 5
it's not clear that there's going to be any unranked playlists, so that may be a no-go.

Akai__

Thing is, Xbox Live isnt a professional competitive gaming league. Its an online service. If you were talking about MLG or something, then yes, id agree..

It doesn't have to be competetive... You are put in matches, where you are losing by 20 points and that's straight up not fun for anyone except the team that is destroying you.

Your logic also fails, because Halo is meant to be a competetive shooter. Bungie always said that and 343i is still saying it.

People (speaking broadly) do still have the patience. Setting aside the aforementioned MOBA example, CounterStrike doesn't have this issue, nor Team Fortress. Neither is cursed with a plague of quitters. It's not something inherent to the genre, it's a problem with the current setup not sufficiently disincentivizing it.

Yeah they do, but those people i find are mostly on PC. Not consoles. There maybe more on consoles these days but there no way to tell since everything uses matchmaking.

You didn't even give an answer to my question. How is it good?

Well look at Destiny. Most of the game modes that dont use MM, i dont even touch them. And im sure im not the only one. Thats why MM can be good, it makes it easy to find people.

Now if you go into a game, its already started and your team is getting hammered, then the game should just ask you if you want it to count in your stats. Thats what everyone is worried about anyway.

Welfare

Well look at Destiny. Most of the game modes that dont use MM, i dont even touch them. And im sure im not the only one. Thats why MM can be good, it makes it easy to find people.

You can find players in pre and post game lobbies. JiP is you joining a game that's in progress, so how does that help to find players more than the standard pre/post game lobbies where players can communicate/shit on others without having to focus on the game?

Now if you go into a game, its already started and your team is getting hammered, then the game should just ask you if you want it to count in your stats. Thats what everyone is worried about anyway.

That's just band-aiding a problem that shouldn't happen to begin with.

In games like Destiny and CoD, JiP affects those games severely less so than Halo. CoD and Destiny don't have Power Weapons to time, respawns are usually instant, and power positions aren't that effective with Supers and Killstreaks. In Halo, besides getting lucky, if you lose power positions and weapons, most of the time you will lose. Joining in progress defeats Halo's "everyone starts off equal" as you can't start off equal in a game that has already started without you being there.

But MM =/= JiP.

And personally? I'm not concerned about my stats, except in a tangential sort of way. I want to have fun. Hopping into a CTF match with only 1 other team mate down by 2 flags isn't fun. Getting ranked down because of it and having to play against people playing with their feet definitely isn't fun.

You can find players in pre and post game lobbies. JiP is you joining a game that's in progress, so how does that help to find players more than the standard pre/post game lobbies where players can communicate/shit on others without having to focus on the game?

If youre talking about just regular servers like i was saying before (R6 style), then i have no problems with that. But JIP was created to make it easy for casuals to get into games and find people without effort. A lot of people like not having to search for people, or servers, they just want the game to do it for them. Those people do exsist.

For me, the games who do that, i just use the first game im joining into as a practice game until the next one starts.

But MM =/= JiP.

And personally? I'm not concerned about my stats, except in a tangential sort of way. I want to have fun. Hopping into a CTF match with only 1 other team mate down by 2 flags isn't fun. Getting ranked down because of it and having to play against people playing with their feet definitely isn't fun.

Oh look, i totally get what your saying. Going into a game where your already getting hammered isnt fun. But it also happens to me all the time in BF4, a game in which there is a server list that i use 100% of the time to get into games. Thats not a MM problem.

Oh and that Playlist management is a pain.

SMG Starts, AR Objective etc... its disgusting that this stuff is still in rotation.

But it looks like that 343 doesnt care anymore. That new Community Update has no word on Playlist updates or MCC in general. All aboard the H5 train i guess?

They don't give a shit buddy. Maybe there was a budget allocated for post launch MCC playlist support but it got spunked on basically remaking the game 5 months after it launched.

I literally played Smashed AR starts the other night. Literally. Which begs the question: if they can be bothered to implement the droppings of some rookie Forger from 2008, why the F U C K can't they put the H3 MLG maps and gametypes in?

Computer

It doesn't have to be competetive... You are put in matches, where you are losing by 20 points and that's straight up not fun for anyone except the team that is destroying you.

Your logic also fails, because Halo is meant to be a competetive shooter. Bungie always said that and 343i is still saying it.

Halo is a game that has had a issues with quitters from day one of XBL and no one comes up with solution's other then penalties that do not work. No one wants to play a game that is a complete blow out. No one wants to play a game that is 4 v 1. This is why there needs to be a white flag option. If the entire team or even both teams agree that the loosing team should surrender the game and take a loss then the game ends. Its so simple I don't understand why the hell it is not in every Halo game.

Impala26

They don't give a shit buddy. Maybe there was a budget allocated for post launch MCC playlist support but it got spunked on basically remaking the game 5 months after it launched.

I literally played Smashed AR starts the other night. Literally. Which begs the question: if they can be bothered to implement the droppings of some rookie Forger from 2008, why the F U C K can't they put the H3 MLG maps and gametypes in?

Honestly, I'm fairly certain some GAFer would happily take the reins of MCC playlist management for peanuts (or FREE) if 343i would be so bold as to let them.

I still can't believe there aren't any Forge maps in any of the H2A playlists at this point either. Wasn't that supposed to be the caveat to the "H2A is only shipping with six maps"?

Welfare

Honestly, I'm fairly certain some GAFer would happily take the reins of MCC playlist management for peanuts (or FREE) if 343i would be so bold as to let them.

I still can't believe there aren't any Forge maps in any of the H2A playlists at this point either. Wasn't that supposed to be the caveat to the "H2A is only shipping with six maps"?

Any Gaffer would've done a much better job with playlist management in Halo 4 and I have no idea why playlists aren't getting update frequently. 343 says that they have 2 different teams working on MCC and Halo 5, so where the fuck is the support?

Haruko

Joining H4 games in progress on the 360 and getting stuck with huge deficits was perhaps the most aggravating part of Halo 4 multiplayer to me, right after random ordnance drops.

It directly affected how little I played it, compared to past Halos.

I'm so very glad it's gone from H4 on MCC.

I can deal with it in Warzone in H5, i think. Teams of that size can handle being down a guy or two better than a 4v4 or 8v8 match, i would think. And it's inherently less competitive than Arena.

I agree that severe quit penalties/quitter jails are the way to go. Not global Join in Progress.

Glass

Join in progress would be a huge move for arena style Halo, I can't wrap my head around what it would be like.
Warzone continues to look like the perfect sandpit for ideas which don't quite fit with Arena. Joining a losing game sucks, but I'm not going to be as salty losing when I joined to a 500 point deficit, instead of being there at the start and losing by that margin.

Warzone continues to look like the perfect sandpit for ideas which don't quite fit with Arena.

Speaking of Warzone... This sounds kinda cool, from the latest community update:

You may have caught Major Nelson’s blog which mentioned that a new Warzone map will be revealed in the lounge via a massive 6′ x 6′ map constructed by Mega Bloks – more on that this week.

Any Gaffer would've done a much better job with playlist management in Halo 4 and I have no idea why playlists aren't getting update frequently. 343 says that they have 2 different teams working on MCC and Halo 5, so where the fuck is the support?

I mean what was the last major update? ODST I believe, and since then they haven't really said anything. Actually I think they added team snipers but that's about it.

Damn, just when I was getting back into the Halo community thread...oh well.

I think I may play through all the MCC campaigns one more time before Halo 5, but I think I'm done with the multiplayer. Halo 4 is definitely improved over initial release, but it still doesn't have that lasting power for me the other games had, plus most of the maps are pretty underwhelming. The other games are great in theory, but quitting is worse than I feel like it ever was in the past and the ranked matchmaking is worse, maybe the two are connected. Because of this I can't get on a decent team and keep getting first place on my team but lose every blessed match. Just tired of it.

I honestly don't even want join in progress for Warzone, I hate going into a game and not having proper orientation on how the team is playing. From the other perspective, if my team quits, I'd want the game to end as quickly as possible. By the time people join there's a good chance the other team already gained an advantage anyway, especially in objective game types. At least in Halo 4 you could tell if you were going to join in progress as you would see the player cards, so you had a chance to switch networks and not join. It'd be nice to have an option to turn off join in progress games.

I honestly don't even want join in progress for Warzone, I hate going into a game and not having proper orientation on how the team is playing. From the other perspective, if my team quits, I'd want the game to end as quickly as possible. By the time people join there's a good chance the other team already gained an advantage anyway, especially in objective game types. At least in Halo 4 you could tell if you were going to join in progress as you would see the player cards, so you had a chance to switch networks and not join. It'd be nice to have an option to turn off join in progress games.

Well without splitscreen play, a quitter only means one person quits in any game, so that may help at least a little. Also, warzone will be individual-performance heavy (as in your performance drives your individual progression) so losing a match shouldn't be as big of a deal, almost akin to Destiny's system. The games are also 20-25 minutes so no JiP would be a pain if a few people quit early.

I've always said they should implement a system where JiP is locked after a certain point in the match, maybe halfway or 2/3 of the way through a game. Then you won't get caught joining a game and losing at the very end.

I know they said somewhere that WZ matches last 20-25 mins, the ones at E3 were just sped up. I know I wouldn't want to play that long and still have it 5v12 or whatever. I don't mind JiP for large game types like WZ or even BTB, however I can understand not having them for 4v4 and the more competitive modes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I know they said somewhere that WZ matches last 20-25 mins, the ones at E3 were just sped up. I know I wouldn't want to play that long and still have it 5v12 or whatever. I don't mind JiP for large game types like WZ or even BTB, however I can understand not having them for 4v4 and the more competitive modes.

i'd imagine 5 v 12 would end quickly with the full team capping all bases and destroying the other teams core. certainly shouldnt take the average length of a regular 12v12 match to accomplish that at least.

Impala26

Frank can you add Reach to the MCC for me? Need to replay the 2nd best Halo campaign. Thanks dude.

I thought they were in the process of simply making the X360 Reach discs backward compatible?

Kinda hard to justify adding it to MCC if they can just do that eh?

I thought they were in the process of simply making the X360 Reach discs backward compatible?

Besides 1080p, 60 FPS(ish) and dedicated servers? It's easy to justify, if they do it they need to make the multiplayer free so the community is not divided though. Still, it's not likely to happen though I can dream.

link1201

That would be good enough for me. I just can't go back to the 360 controller now but I really miss reach SWAT.

Impala26

Most of the other Halo games are/will be BC as well.

Need mah 60fps

I mean true dat, true dat... but I'm just assuming 343i is in full H5 mode until November.

Also obligatory:

th

JackHerer

So playing ranked in MCC is pretty damn good now (with friends).

I'm so glad we will get solid ranking in H5 right from the start. It will make a big difference I think.

link1201

So playing ranked in MCC is pretty damn good now (with friends).

I'm so glad we will get solid ranking in H5 right from the start. It will make a big difference I think.

I agree. A ranking system that works will do wonders. I know the BETA ranking was somewhat wonky but even still I was getting close matches on a very regular basis. I hope that continues during launch.

I agree. A ranking system that works will do wonders. I know the BETA ranking was somewhat wonky but even still I was getting close matches on a very regular basis. I hope that continues during launch.

I got placed into gold playing by myself, then the game matched me against full party onyx groups and I got wrecked.

link1201

I got placed into gold playing by myself, then the game matched me against fully party onyx groups and I got wrecked.

For whatever reason in the BETA you could lose ranking but not go down a level. I am not sure if that affected placement or not. I am hoping they give us an update on ranking soon. It is a major factor in this games' longevity imo.

JiP won't fix anything, and unless you have good enough incentive for the losing ones to stay in the game people that quit will quit regardless of how "harsh" the quit punishment is.

I'd be up for that if they added a ZB Legendary Slayer option. ZB in Campaign would be fun, too.

I hated that nonsense in Reach, where we had games with zero bloom, or half bloom, etc..If Reach gets a port to the MCC they need to keep things consistent across the board, which would hopefully be a reduced or zero bloom gametype.

Welfare

I hated that nonsense in Reach, where we had games with zero bloom, or half bloom, etc..If Reach gets a port to the MCC they need to keep things consistent across the board, which would hopefully be a reduced or zero bloom gametype.

343 doesn't know consistency. TU 85% Bloom TU 0% Bloom TU with Bleedthrough 0% Bloom it's all a fucking mess. I still can't be sure if Halo 4 in MCC is the TU across all the playlists.

Top Bottom