• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

I'm still miffed we don't have the Mk V for Halo 4 in MCC.

It's really weird, because the blog post that announced the last patch had a banner with the Prefect armor in it. I naturally assumed the TU would finally add the DLC armors, but nope... :\

Which reminds me, theoretical MCC Reach needs to add that one helmet they kept teasing around the launch of Defiant.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if Halo 5 gaming side threads were moderated better. I have no desire to discuss Halo 5 news on gaming side. I'm sure others feel the same.

I mean, the two biggest gaming side Halo 5 topics are almost exclusively dedicated to 1) people bitching about the framerate/resolution of the E3 demo as if it's final and 2) people bitching about there (maybe) not being a disc in the LCE. And in both case it's just a shit-ton of drive-by posts.

Madness

But a simple warning that the thread is going off the rails would have sufficed. When it got moved to Off-Topic, it seems some folks just kept going wanting to see what it would take to get it locked.

I mean I still disagree, the fact that we have a 15+ year series and yet cannot discuss anything besides MCC anywhere on GAF. Where should we go to discuss the music? The story? The design decisions? Halo needs a general purpose thread because it's a mature series that has seen several influential and mainline games. Would you guys just prefer we stop posting or coming to the site altogether? Some of us joined for the Halo community, and yet it's almost like you no longer want it to exist here on GAF using the guise of 'past history' to moderate it out of existence.

If any mod had followed the thread, as weary as it was, everything was generally on-topic, even what started the off-topic gifs was essentially a debate about the spartan animations at the beginning and end of matches in Halo 5, whether they were too dude bro and what things people would like. Either way, I guess we can discuss this more on PM's.

jem0208

So.

The Halo OT thread was locked due to the latest derail that was both wildly off topic, and violated the NSFW portion of the forum Terms of Service. It was locked rather than the mod team posting to get it on track or simply banning folks because we've done that sort of thing repeatedly with HaloGAF over the years (remember the temp lock, and the thread split, and the OT move, and the other temp lock, and the multiple bouts of mass bannings, and...) yet the place simply, repeatedly reverts back to form.

The chain of posts that started here and runs through here is really embarrassing and it what specifically led to the thread closure. Given the frequency of that sort of thing, the past interventions, and the number of people involved we decided to just lock it up. That's not what these threads, or GAF, is for.

And to be honest, I'm personally very weary of wading in to explain that we expect community OT's to generally be on topic (though of course a certain, moderate amount of OT chatter will roll through any community thread, it's about the proportions) and to be in compliance with the ToS. The team has done so four or five times at this point, so if I sound like a dick, please understand it's just exasperation. GAF is a huge place and moderating it is a big task for the team, yet we put a disproportionate amount of effort into dealing with HaloGAF issues.

For now the MCC thread should remain on the topic of the MCC. Please keep this thread on topic, and do not turn it into a general HaloGAF OT, which are gone as a going concern, at least for now. Discuss the impending Halo 5 release in the appropriate Gaming threads (feel free to make ones as news arises to facilitate this), and then of course the Halo 5 OT itself upon release. That gets the Halo OT's in the same general place as most Gaming Community OT's, which are title specific. When Halo 5 has come and gone we can revisit how to address Halo OT's going forward.

(As an aside I and other mods have PM's about the Halo OT thread closure, and this note is intended to address them; if you have other questions please feel free to shoot me or the other folks on the team a note; otherwise, please keep meta-discussion out of the thread/forum.)

I know you mentioned making new threads for new news, however is a general Halo 5 discussion thread allowed?

I ask because there's a large variety of different topics which are often discussed and brought up relating to H5, many of which don't fit in to current news threads. There's also a regular stream of news such as tweets and comments from the devs, new gameplay, new speculation etc. which aren't suitable for an entirely new thread.

This is an issue because currently there's nowhere on GAF for general Halo 5 talk. Attempting the spread it out over multiple threads causes the discussion to become completely fragmented, this prevents any good discussion which could take place. There's also the issue that any discussion which we might be able to scrounge out will inevitably get drowned out by a flood of drive-by concern trolling etc.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if Halo 5 gaming side threads were moderated better. I have no desire to discuss Halo 5 news on gaming side. I'm sure others feel the same.

Not to mention a lot of new members have joined, including myself, since the first round of HaloGAF trouble, yet I have to be troubled because you're grouping us into one. Ban the repeat offenders and let the others who consistently keep the thread on topic enjoy the benefits of a community thread.

I also completely agree with the above. I've been on GAF for 2 years and I've rarely seen any moderator intervention in HaloGAF.

Edit: It seems I've just echoed what Madness said. To echo him further, I come here almost exclusively to talk about Halo; nothing else really interests me on GAF.

I wholeheartedly agree. Every gaming side Halo 5 thread seems to devolve into a "fuck 343" circlejerk at some point. It's gotten very old very fast.

Welfare

So.

The Halo OT thread was locked due to the latest derail that was both wildly off topic, and violated the NSFW portion of the forum Terms of Service. It was locked rather than the mod team posting to get it on track or simply banning folks because we've done that sort of thing repeatedly with HaloGAF over the years (remember the temp lock, and the thread split, and the OT move, and the other temp lock, and the multiple bouts of mass bannings, and...) yet the place simply, repeatedly reverts back to form.

The chain of posts that started here and runs through here is really embarrassing and it what specifically led to the thread closure. Given the frequency of that sort of thing, the past interventions, and the number of people involved we decided to just lock it up. That's not what these threads, or GAF, is for.

And to be honest, I'm personally very weary of wading in to explain that we expect community OT's to generally be on topic (though of course a certain, moderate amount of OT chatter will roll through any community thread, it's about the proportions) and to be in compliance with the ToS. The team has done so four or five times at this point, so if I sound like a dick, please understand it's just exasperation. GAF is a huge place and moderating it is a big task for the team, yet we put a disproportionate amount of effort into dealing with HaloGAF issues.

For now the MCC thread should remain on the topic of the MCC. Please keep this thread on topic, and do not turn it into a general HaloGAF OT, which are gone as a going concern, at least for now. Discuss the impending Halo 5 release in the appropriate Gaming threads (feel free to make ones as news arises to facilitate this), and then of course the Halo 5 OT itself upon release. That gets the Halo OT's in the same general place as most Gaming Community OT's, which are title specific. When Halo 5 has come and gone we can revisit how to address Halo OT's going forward.

(As an aside I and other mods have PM's about the Halo OT thread closure, and this note is intended to address them; if you have other questions please feel free to shoot me or the other folks on the team a note; otherwise, please keep meta-discussion out of the thread/forum.)

A Forerunner started the downfall. Never expected that.

Thanks for clearing things, but it's a shame the thread got Locke'd, as the current Gaming side threads for Halo 5 aren't really places to have any meaningful discussions about the game besides missing features and the technical parts.

Oh well.

daedalius

Something I rarely say, but I wholeheartedly agree with madness on this.

Gaming side halo threads are amazing, just look at that DF 60fps thread. Quality.

The Lore thread is pretty great, but hardly the space to talk about everything else that is the Halo franchise. Are we to make gaming side threads for art and music? Megablox? Toys? Tournaments? Life-size paintings of Master Chief?

RoKKeR

RIP HaloGAF. Finished up ODST with a friend the other day and was reminded how great it was. Pistol in ODST is GOAT and the music/atmosphere are top notch, a very unique Halo game. Wish we had more "vignette" campaigns like ODST's in the Halo universe.

Also agree with the sentiments that, although I was a mere HaloGAF lurker, I have no interest in discussing Halo 5 on Gaming side. Hopefully something is worked out in that regard.

A Forerunner started the downfall. Never expected that.

You humans sought the Didact; you will have him.

Ghaleon, thank you for at least explaining why it was locked, and I can understand the decision. However, I do agree with the other posters that Halo gaming side threads don't go over too well and it would be nice to have a place just to discuss Halo in general.

However, what is done is done.

RIP HaloGAF

Seems like discussing Halo in general is dead... Pretty much anything Halo related (especially halo 5 as of late) on gaming side gets negged real hard these days

On Topic: Team Snipers should be permanent dammit! If Reach were to be added it'd be perfect, loved playing snipers there.

Glass

Yeah HaloGaf might have gone off topic but gaming side Halo topics are so fucking toxic, it's like Halo 5 ran over everyone's dog or something.

RIP HaloGAF

Seems like discussing Halo in general is dead... Pretty much anything Halo related (especially halo 5 as of late) on gaming side gets negged real hard these days

On Topic: Team Snipers should be permanent dammit! If Reach were to be added it'd be perfect, loved playing snipers there.

Team snipes has been amazing. Hitting the Tashi ceiling real hard in it though. Can they just reverse the decision to make it temporary? Now it's finally get H3 in it it should stay.

Team snipes has been amazing. Hitting the Tashi ceiling real hard in it though. Can they just reverse the decision to make it temporary? Now it's finally get H3 in it it should stay.

They sure can but it sucks that this is still up for consideration. I mean Team Snipers has always been a staple playlist and to have it only limited is insulting.

They sure can but it sucks that this is still up for consideration. I mean Team Snipers has always been a staple playlist and to have it only limited is insulting.

I find it insulting there hasn't been a Grifball playlist. I mean even if it's just for a short period of time. Can't have Halo without Grifball. Oh and forge maps for H2A would be nice too.

I find it insulting there hasn't been a Grifball playlist. I mean even if it's just for a short period of time. Can't have Halo without Grifball. Oh and forge maps for H2A would be nice too.

I'm surprised this still hasn't happened yet, playing the same maps over and over is getting real tiring.

Would love to try out some community-made maps

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i think the thread lock justification is really weak.

also, mcc locked up on me again today :(

A PM for me or a mod edit to remove the offending GIF and a temp ban directed at me would have sufficed. I understand mods get tired of the same old shit but really HaloGAF is the place most similar to playing Halo with your buddies, most of the time you're talking about Halo but there's plenty of OT stuff in there as well. It feels like being in a Halo party chat, that is now gone from GAF. Given the sheer volume of OTs for Halo it's pretty clear it was a big part of GAF for many years too.

On a side note here we are being led by a mod in the MCC thread about why the community thread was locked and a series of posts off this thread's designated topic. You're already doing the same leg work as just moderating the old community thread. It makes no sense to me but of course I'll follow the rules as outlined.

On the plus side MCC was great last night for a handful of games again. The quitters appear to be falling off somewhat too, which is real nice.

Halo 3 AR starts, the absolute best. When you can finally pick up that BR only for it to not work, especially at range, mmmmmmmmmm.. feels great!

EDIT: ggs Fuchs

There always used to be a certain snark to Halo threads on gaming side, but post-MCC debacle has been unbelievably negative.

I guess if you can discredit one of Xbox's biggest franchises, you can discredit the Xbox itself.

In B4 "343 did that themselves"

RowdyReverb

Avalanche is the best BTB map on TMCC. Come at me.

Spartan Assault is on sale, and its totally good. Ipad controls actually seem pretty decent.

TMCC
I bought this, but I'm waiting until I get a twin stick iOS controller to actually play it. The touch controls are functional, but I feel like I'd enjoy the game more if I didn't have to focus on the controls.

Avalanche is the best BTB map on TMCC. Come at me.

I'd agree.

They need to take away the heavy weighing on Remnant, I'm sick of playing it and Halo 1 barely ever came up and now that's a lot worse.

Hang 'em High is such a bad map. And I say this as the guy who wrecks shit camping shotgun hallway.

I like Hang 'em High, but in BTB that map needs to be objective only, slayer games go by too fast.

There always used to be a certain snark to Halo threads on gaming side, but post-MCC debacle has been unbelievably negative.

I guess if you can discredit one of Xbox's biggest franchises, you can discredit the Xbox itself.

In B4 "343 did that themselves"

Your spoiler did hit the nail on the head.

Edit: More OT, when is the next batch of updates for MCC scheduled? It's frustrating not being able to play with friends the few times you attempt to (referring to customs).

Haruko

CE BTB King of the Hill on Hang em High should be set to a higher time to win, with the option for scoring multiplier per teammate in the hill turned on.

Halo 1 has the worst mp of any halo game, its just so boring. Halo 2 and 3 hold up surprisingly well and i'm one of those people who thought halo 4 mp was great.

Halo 1 has the worst mp of any halo game, its just so boring. Halo 2 and 3 hold up surprisingly well and i'm one of those people who thought halo 4 mp was great.

Eh I wouldn't say it's the worst... It just hasn't aged as well haha. It was groundbreaking for its time, and was a platform for a lot of other IPs to jump off of.

i think the thread lock justification is really weak.

also, mcc locked up on me again today :(

Eh it was bound to happen when you consider the previous threads that were locked or moved.

ibzcSIYqBOKxCy.gif

Cindro

This thread sure blew up fast!

I guess we'll just use this thread for now. Panicked and thought there wasn't a place to talk Halo.

I just bought an original Xbox to play Halo CE the way it was meant to be played. I can't stand the MCC version.

I've seen a few people say this now - what exactly are the issues with TMCC's handling of CE's campaign? I'm playing through CE on TMCC now - I've only played the original once, back in '07. The graphics toggle is awesome, but other than that I'm unaware of any other differences (apart from, I presume, better frame rate and upscaled resolution).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Did you really think that thread was a good idea.

Like, really.

No, it was a terrible idea. That's why I made it. Because I was angry and filled with terrible ideas. It happens.

But I can't talk about that because it's not Halo-y.

I've seen a few people say this now - what exactly are the issues with TMCC's handling of CE's campaign? I'm playing through CE on TMCC now - I've only played the original once, back in '07. The graphics toggle is awesome, but other than that I'm unaware of any other differences (apart from, I presume, better frame rate and upscaled resolution).

It's a port of a port. So it inherently has the issues that come with that situation.

This thread sure blew up fast!

It uses CE Anniversary, which used the Halo PC model as a base, which is (curiously) kind of a downgrade from the Xbox version. HPTupolev (and some others, I'm sure) have some great comparisons.

No, it was a terrible idea. That's why I made it. Because I was angry and filled with terrible ideas. It happens.

But I can't talk about that because it's not Halo-y.

Fair enough.

NOKYARD

I have a Grifball playlist spec'd and ready to go so the ball is in 343's court.

All the maps, other than an Erosion court awaiting a name, are in my file share (runNOKYARDrun) if anyone is interested in checking them out.

HTupolev

Classic Mode is based on Halo PC, which was a graphically poor port of the original game. Specular lighting looks garish and weird, transparencies look all out of whack including a number of effects that are flat-out missing, numerous assets were replaced, and there are a host of other random visual quirks. In some areas the difference is staggering.

The original audio isn't available.

The original hud isn't available, and the CEA one has a weird pulsing motion tracker and generally doesn't look great.

Anniversary Mode was visually ported with relatively few issues, although I haven't been able to use the new music on my XB1 for a while.

Nowise10

On topic: I still need a boosting team for like 2 MCC matchmaking achievements. Hit me up if you want to boost. Rock and a Hard Coil achievement, and Legendary medal achievement.

Off topic: I don't really understand as to why Halogaf was locked. I mean I do, but there is still much more benefits and good stuff, then the occasional bad stuff in my opinion. Plus their is still way to much to discuss about Halo 5 to only leave it to specific threads when information is revealed.

I have a Grifball playlist spec'd and ready to go so the ball is in 343's court.

All the maps, other than an Erosion court awaiting a name, are in my file share (runNOKYARDrun) if anyone is interested in checking them out.

Which is what I don't get. There are already all these wonderful community made maps, yet they don't add them. I remember back in Reach they were constantly having playlist to see how these maps played out. However, I'm probably expecting too much from MCC at this point.

Cindro

Wow - I had no idea the PC port of CE was such a downgrade. I can imagine how it would be frustrating to have that version in TMCC instead of the "pure" version, so to speak.

Does Halo 2 have similar issues in TMCC?

Wow - I had no idea the PC port of CE was such a downgrade. I can imagine how it would be frustrating to have that version in TMCC instead of the "pure" version, so to speak.

Does Halo 2 have similar issues in TMCC?

To be honest, while it's quite noticeable in side-by-side comparisons, I would have never in a million years noticed the differences had they not been explicitly pointed out to me. It's disappointing they weren't able to resolve the issues carried over from the PC version, but I kind of think it's one of those things that's a little overblown, but that's just me.

And as far as I'm aware, no, Halo 2 doesn't have any similar issues. If I recall correctly, Halo 2 Vista's biggest issues were that it had somewhat poor performance and that there weren't any major graphical improvements despite being a PC game released 2 and half years after the original Xbox version, neither of which are issues with H2 Classic in MCC (and in the case of the latter, is basically a feature).

I always enjoy playing CE, when the connection is solid. Some great clips there, only watched a coupe so far. I take it that extra rocket round is a glitch for a freebie yes? Also backpack reload going on with that glitch?

Top Bottom