• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

The more I play the MCC, the more desperate I get for Halo 5. Maybe it's just the rose tinted glasses kicking in, but my god do I miss the beta.

Welfare

Trying to get on my good side I see. (Halo 3 Valhalla)

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Since Halo 4 is in MCC this won't get this thread closed:

I cracked open the art book for Halo 4 (awesome book, btw) today for the 100th time and looking through it I just have one question for Stinkles, if he's still around.

How long did you guys get into development before you cut the SMG? It has a render in the book alongside the BR, DMR, AR, and all the other UNSC weapons. In fact, it was the first one shown at the top of the page. Why did you guys decide to drop it?

Also, some of the concepts for Requiem were hilariously similar to the Death Star. I'm glad you guys moved past that.

Welfare

WOW fuck my Xbox. Since BTB seems to be filled with nothing but Halo 3 kids, I get yet another match on Rats Nest. I am at the top killing everyone with the shotgun and I get a Trip mine kill on some fool and wanted to record it and my Xbox does a little fucking mini freeze. I thought it was my controller not responding, so I try turning it off, and that fucking screen freezes too! For 30 seconds, I was fucking pressing every button on the goddamn controller and swearing while my guy dies while on a Running Riot and I somehow got to the fucking Upload app after my Xbox decided to work again.

Still won with more than double the amount of kills as the 2nd guy on my team, but HOLY FUCK.

Fuck Halo 3, add ranked BTB and a population counter.

Picked up a Mcc 1Tb yesterday. If anyone wants to add me that would be cool. The game should finish downloading by the end of the week lol.

GT: Bloodbathnbyond

Draconian

Been trying to play the Halo 2: Anniversary campaign online for a couple of nights with my friend. We've tried to start at the beginning, turning up the difficulty, with skulls, and the game doesn't work. Of course, if we try to continue where we were in the campaign on normal difficulty, it miraculously works just fine. Incredibly frustrating and a complete and utter joke.

I feel for the loss of splitscreen campaign in H5 but as for playing MCC vs. future Halo titles without splitscreen I will NOT miss them in multiplayer. Besides the lack of skill matching I also find quitters playing on splitscreen to be a higher weighted percentage. At least no screen cheating anymore either :)

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Looking at finally picking this up. So torn on Digital vs Physical though. Can currently get digital for $59AUD or physical for $44AUD. Decision seems simple but lately I have really found the value in not swapping disks, especially with my ADD gamer habits.

Decisions!

I feel for the loss of splitscreen campaign in H5 but as for playing MCC vs. future Halo titles without splitscreen I will NOT miss them in multiplayer. Besides the lack of skill matching I also find quitters playing on splitscreen to be a higher weighted percentage. At least no screen cheating anymore either :)

[lMG]http://screenshotscontent-t3001.xboxlive.com/000911111111593e-dabdfb62-902a-4e5d-8e48-2c21c3f33607/Thumbnail_Large.PNG[/IMG]

"screen cheating"

Fuchsdh

Looking at finally picking this up. So torn on Digital vs Physical though. Can currently get digital for $59AUD or physical for $44AUD. Decision seems simple but lately I have really found the value in not swapping disks, especially with my ADD gamer habits.

Decisions!

Given that most games require mandatory installs of some components to disc, and many games have day-one or early patches, I think the arguments for physical really come down to "I found it for much cheaper than online" (as you have) or "I really want something taking up space on my shelf." Otherwise digital is definitely the best option.

IHaveIce

Banned
You guys killed HaloGAF again? mhmpf

Well played the MCC 2 days ago except for the horrible spawns on most maps( which was almost like it used to be back in the days) it was a lot of fun.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just played the level where you first see The Flood. Was that the big thing everyone talked about? It wasn't scary at all, it was just annoying with the shitty two layer square level design that arbitrarily switched up the valid exits from when you went through.

Guests are so bad, if they're on one team and not the other the win is all but guaranteed for the team lacking guests.

Given that most games require mandatory installs of some components to disc, and many games have day-one or early patches, I think the arguments for physical really come down to "I found it for much cheaper than online" (as you have) or "I really want something taking up space on my shelf." Otherwise digital is definitely the best option.

I ended up going physical. I do much prefer digital as trading games in is something I don't do, but $15 difference was a bit too much to take the pricier option.

Looking forward to sinking sometime into Halo 1 this weekend. It's the only Halo I have ever played and that was way back when it first released.

Dice

Can't say I've been too impressed with Halo 1. I'm about to start Keyes so I'm pretty far now. Combat vs Covenant was pretty basic but at least interesting. The way it has been spamming Flood has not been, especially since it just started randomly throwing in rocket guys for instakills. I trust the next games will incorporate a lot more tactics into gameplay.

Fuchsdh

Can't say I've been too impressed with Halo 1. I'm about to start Keyes so I'm pretty far now. Combat vs Covenant was pretty basic but at least interesting. The way it has been spamming Flood has not been, especially since it just started randomly throwing in rocket guys for instakills. I trust the next games will incorporate a lot more tactics into gameplay.

The Flood have more tricks in later games, yes. Unfortunately the later games don't have as many large-scale multi-faction battles as CE either.

Montresor

I'm still early in Halo CE in my MCC playthrough too.

The lore in this series seems incredible. I've played Halo CE on 360 before so I'm familiar with some terms, like Covenant, 343 Guilty Spark, the literal definition of Halo, etc... I am so STOKED to understand to gain more insight on the following terms/topics as I get further into the series in my MCC playthrough...

Reclaimer
Didact
Librarian

and so on.

I'm still early in Halo CE in my MCC playthrough too.

The lore in this series seems incredible. I've played Halo CE on 360 before so I'm familiar with some terms, like Covenant, 343 Guilty Spark, the literal definition of Halo, etc... I am so STOKED to understand to gain more insight on the following terms/topics as I get further into the series in my MCC playthrough...

Reclaimer
Didact
Librarian

and so on.

Once you get to them enjoy the Halo 4 terminals and books by Greg Bear.

Fuchsdh

Is online co-op Halo: CE supposed to be a laggy mess? It's ridiculous how laggy it works.

All the campaigns are peer to peer networked, so yes they've historically had lag issues. You need proximity and high-quality, stable connections if you want to play lag-free.

I seem to recall CEA was exceptionally bad in that regard, but due to everyone bailing out after MCC launched I never got a chance to try it.

Fuchsdh

I seem to recall CEA was exceptionally bad in that regard, but due to everyone bailing out after MCC launched I never got a chance to try it.

When I played through it coop it seemed like you had a significantly high chance of D/C right at the beginning of the mission, but aside from that I usually never had issues playing with people near me or across the country.

HTupolev

Is online co-op Halo: CE supposed to be a laggy mess? It's ridiculous how laggy it works.
Yeah, Halo 1's online coop is worse than the originally 360 games.

All of the games use lockstep networking, but the originally 360 games don't care as much about object orientation, which allowed them to give looking/aiming an "instantaneous" response. Halo 1 was built before that consideration, so CEA on 360 has latency for all actions, including looking around.

And then on XB1 they decided to throw in a hack so that it looks like you're responding instantly to look commands. But your physical behavior in the game world still lags behind this fake instant response, which makes it really hard to get a sense for where your bullets will actually go when you fire.

(The networking also had more stability issues than the originally 360 titles.)

Ocho

I see. Well, I managed to complete two levels with the input lag. Sometimes it was decent, other times it was the worst. I think I can stick it out to completion.

Read over the net that the other games aren't as bad (although some report the same input lag issue in Halo 2/3). Lets hope it gets better.

Need Halo 5 and dedicated servers.

I wish there was a batch apology message I could send to all my teammates from that last match... yeeesh! I really stink it up when I pull an H3 match after a few 2, 2A or 4 matches.

Madness

For the lead up to H5, I feel like playing through all the campaigns in MCC, but I just don't want to put the disc back in and play. Don't know why, considering that they're the best representations of the campaigns.

On an unrelated note, solid post Wesley, though I'm not sure if the rabbit hole goes that deep with 343.

HTupolev

Cooperative for CEA in the MCC was much better than the stand alone game for 360.
In my experience, not really. It feels better when just walking around since the right analog stick gives an instant visual response, but if you're off-host and the latency isn't really low, it can feel damned near impossible to actually hit anything. There's a really janky mismatch between where it looks like your shots ought to be going and where they're actually going.

In what way?

Connection, sorry thought that was implied with the discussion. In CEA when my friend hosted I would rubber band quite a lot, even though it was still a peer to peer connection in MCC it worked a lot better, never had any problems in game apart from a disconnect at the beginning of the level.

Madness

You lurk, and reply here. :p

Eh, just signed on here, didn't see much activity Halo-wise, looked and saw the other was upto 40+ pages. New news has to come quick (Gamescom, RTX), just nothing to talk about. I wonder when the next MCC update comes too, whether it adds anything.

Dice

Okay, I thought the Library was bad, but Keyes is like 5x worse. Nothing but a single extremely narrow path and a bazillion enemies the whole way. To get a little bit farther in from this checkpoint after jumping into the pool I had to memorize a path where I throw a grenade way ahead of me so I kill like 6 Flood before I even see them to actually survive because a horde is chasing me. That isn't good gameplay, it's just trial and error shit. Then I run up to a spot where it seems a dead end and Cortana is like "analyzing" but I'm already dead from like literally 20 enemies. It's all pitch black so I have no way of making out different pathways, especially since I have no time to look with all the enemies around.

I think I'm just gonna say fuck the playlist and skip to Halo 2 because restarting this same checkpoint 1000 times until all the countless variables result in me not getting blown to smithereens is a completely pointless exercise in frustration and there wouldn't even be any satisfaction in the payoff because I know damn well it had nothing to do with any achievement of mine except having the patience to swallow their garbage design. I can watch cutscenes on youtube or something. This isn't what I play videogames for.

HTupolev

Nothing but a single extremely narrow path and a bazillion enemies the whole way. To get a little bit farther in from this checkpoint after jumping into the pool I had to memorize a path where I throw a grenade way ahead of me so I kill like 6 Flood before I even see them to actually survive because a horde is chasing me. That isn't good gameplay, it's just trial and error shit. Then I run up to a spot where it seems a dead end and Cortana is like "analyzing" but I'm already dead from like literally 20 enemies.
Err, have you tried working methodically through the encounters? You make it sound like you're aggressively trying to dash through the areas. Keyes is supposed to be something of a white-knuckles experience, but it'll do that even if you aren't trying to speedrun it.

Most battles in the canyons below the ship are actually pretty easy, as the Flood usually don't spawn all that aggressively in right-on-top-of-you locations, and it's not hard to funnel and shred them in those tight environments when they're all coming from one direction. Early in the section, the Flood don't even have very many spawn waves.

The hardest part is probably the end-of-section gravity lift, since you need to get through a wide area and become king of the hill on an elite-defended exposed spot in order to proceed.

It's all pitch black so I have no way of making out different pathways, especially since I have no time to look with all the enemies around.
If it's completely pitch black, you might consider adjusting your TV's brightness. Being able to vaguely make out the wall countours and rocks and bushes doesn't really kill the atmosphere.

(Note that I'm assuming you're using Classic Mode, because if it's pitch black in Anniversary graphics, then something is seriously FUBAR on your end.)

Dice

I lucked out getting an absolutely vital Shotgun flood spawn, since it keeps taking shotgun away from me and replacing it with the shitty alien pistol. Then I spent every single encounter waiting for the Covenant and Flood to completely finish fighting it out before I engaged, then kited the rest back until they were dead, and just continued this pattern all the way up to finding Keyes.

Now if I jump off the platform and run in the back corner of the room before the flood come in, I can lure them a bit at a time so finish them off without getting overwhelmed, but then after I clear them I have a hallway absolutely packed to the brim with Covenant, who instantly shoot me and throw grenades when the door opens, so that will be very slow going if I ever feel up to the task of clearing the flood again and then taking that on.

This is seriously just incredibly stupid and unfun design. You can literally die in 2 seconds the entire fucking time so all you can do is keep doing this kiting bullshit. The checkpoint system also makes no sense. At first I thought it had to do with positional progression, but then it would do like 2 saves in fairly quick succession, so I don't get it. It seems to make sections between checkpoints 5x longer if there happens to be 10x the bullshit between you and the next one.

I agree that it isn't hard it's just instadeath-anytime bullshit. Keep going and playing the most defensively as your psyche can stand without getting too bored and eventually you'll work out the spawns and kiting. It has absolutely nothing to do with challenge and skill. It's mindless trial and error exploiting knowledge of arbitrary elements that you slowly gain.

HTupolev

Then I spent every single encounter waiting for the Covenant and Flood to completely finish fighting it out before I engaged
That's not necessarily a good plan. What you usually want to do is manipulate the fight by weakening the stronger group, so they more completely kill each other, and...

Now if I jump off the platform and run in the back corner of the room before the flood come in, I can lure them a bit at a time so finish them off without getting overwhelmed, but then after I clear them I have a hallway absolutely packed to the brim with Covenant, who instantly shoot me and throw grenades when the door opens, so that will be very slow going if I ever feel up to the task of clearing the flood again and then taking that on.
...drawing the enemies places to expose them. For instance, with the huge encounter at the Keyes blob, one option is to briefly engage the Covenant in the exit door before retreating to the rear, to try and pull them and the Flood onrush together. Covenant get thinned out by the Flood, Flood get thinned out by the Covenant.

If you always let things resolve themselves, you'll inevitably have some huge groups to deal with on your own. When they're fighting each other is often the very best time to engage, since you can control the fight and find some safety in their preoccupation with each other.

At first I thought it had to do with positional progression, but then it would do like 2 saves in fairly quick succession, so I don't get it. It seems to make sections between checkpoints 5x longer if there happens to be 10x the bullshit between you and the next one.
Halo 1's checkpoints are cautious about triggering when there's danger. They're mostly position-based, but some won't trip unless you aren't shooting or there aren't enemies about.

Dice

...drawing the enemies places to expose them. For instance, with the huge encounter in the bridge, one option is to briefly engage the Covenant in the exit door before retreating to the rear, to try and pull them and the Flood onrush together. Covenant get thinned out by the Flood, Flood get thinned out by the Covenant.

If you always let things resolve themselves, you'll inevitably have some huge groups to deal with on your own. When they're fighting each other is often the very best time to engage, since you can control the fight and find some safety in their preoccupation with each other.
Tried that, only got explosions everywhere as well as like 5x the leapers not giving a single fuck about Covenant and just going for me.

One explosion = I'm dead.
3 melee hits = I'm dead.
2 melee hits and a couple little bugs = I'm dead.

So when you're looking at a solid 30 enemies, half of which can move twice as fast as you, playing "run between them and then run away" does not work at all.

Tried that, only got explosions everywhere as well as like 5x the leapers not giving a single fuck about Covenant and just going for me.

3 melee hits = I'm dead.

So when you're looking at a solid 30 enemies, half of which can move twice as fast as you, playing "run between them and then run away" does not work at all.

Are you playing on Legendary? You're going to love Halo 2.....

After a flawless game of Halo 4, fuck Halo 3.

Holy shit.

HTupolev

Not really sure what to tell you then. I use that tactic on most playthroughs (and I play legendary) and it works like a dream.

3 melee hits = I'm dead.
If 3 melee hits from a Flood combat form can kill you, and you're doing a full-series cross-game playlist, that means that you're on legendary difficulty (and have low health).

If you're doing a cross-game full-series playlist and you're on legendary, then you're in the "The Legendary Master Chief Saga" playlist.

This playlist, in addition to being on legendary (which I wouldn't recommend for first-time players even on a good day) has some "skull" gameplay modifiers set up that'll turn Halo 1's combat into a silly carnival of jankyness.

Get out of there. o_O

Dice

No, I just checked and it's the normal master chief saga. But one melee hit and over half my shields are gone, another and the rest are gone, then one more and I'm dead. Those Flood soldiers punch really fucking hard, and if I run after taking a hit all the little bugs and weapon fire spam can usually sneak in a small tap just often enough to keep me from being able to recharge my shields, not to mention that the leapers do not stop pursuit from the second they see you until they are dead, so if I don't stay hidden and slowly whittle things down like 2-3 of them at a time I get wiped really quick.

If that sounds completely wrong, maybe the game bugged and is running legendary while thinking it's normal (Edit: Though that doesn't make sense since it was super easy until the Library). I don't know. But the combination of them being able to leap across the room and hit me that hard let alone with all the explosion spam from the suicide blobs makes it plain absurd to pretend it can be played in the fray like Doom or Serious Sam. There seems to be like a 2% chance to survive without the shotgun, and with it like 20%. I would not give a fuck and drop the difficulty level to finish out the game, but it doesn't seem to be an option, so it seems I could only start over again on easy and have to yawn my way through the first 3/4 of the game that I just experienced.

Top Bottom