• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

I've been asking for this since forever. The K/D ratio from Objective should not count towards the overall K/D ratio (only Slayer variants should count IMO)
But K/D ratio/spread is actually an important stat in game modes other than slayer. There are a lot of people who like to say that kills don't matter as much in objective game modes (like CTF for example) but that's just not true. Usually the team with more kills (or the higher K/D ratio) wins out. Killing players and staying alive is very important in a game mode like CTF because it takes enemies off the map for a short time and allows your team to either gain map control or push and grab a flag. This same concept applies for every other objective game mode.

The people who act as if kills aren't that important in objective are probably the same bad kids who run at the flag/hill/objective relentlessly who just keep dying over and over. They think they're helping their team but in reality they're probably the reason the team lost. Someone who drops like a -5 or -10 spread at the end of a game probably didn't give the team too much help (of course there are exceptions to this rule). If I ever go +20 I feel like I was a significant part in my team's win, slayer or objective, and I feel like that should count towards my overall stat.

What I do like though is that Halo doesn't track your kills on the in game score board for game modes other than slayer. It does a good job at emphasizing that capturing the flag is what you should be trying to do, or holding a hill, etc. Kills should appear in the post game report though. They're too important of a stat not to track in objective game modes.

HTupolev

But K/D ratio/spread is actually an important stat in game modes other than slayer.
Yes, but broadcasting it in accumulated data has negative effects on gameplay. It should definitely be tracked under the hood for matchmaking purposes, and you should probably be able to look at kill/death stats and whatnot within a postgame report, but it shouldn't be accumulated in the total across games. Or at most it should be lumped into a separate "objective games K/D" stat bubble.

Defeating an enemy team in just two minutes in a CTF match should look much better in the records than holding the objective to build up kills for fifteen minutes.

RSB

Banned
But K/D ratio/spread is actually an important stat in game modes other than slayer. There are a lot of people who like to say that kills don't matter as much in objective game modes (like CTF for example) but that's just not true. Usually the team with more kills (or the higher K/D ratio) wins out. Killing players and staying alive is very important in a game mode like CTF because it takes enemies off the map for a short time and allows your team to either gain map control or push and grab a flag. This same concept applies for every other objective game mode.

The people who act as if kills aren't that important in objective are probably the same bad kids who run at the flag/hill/objective relentlessly who just keep dying over and over. They think they're helping their team but in reality they're probably the reason the team lost. Someone who drops like a -5 or -10 spread at the end of a game probably didn't give the team too much help (of course there are exceptions to this rule). If I ever go +20 I feel like I was a significant part in my team's win, slayer or objective, and I feel like that should count towards my overall stat.
Of course kills are important in objective gametypes, I never said otherwise. I just want to avoid having those players that go into objective playlists exclusively to pad their overall K/D ratio. Not counting objective K/D ratio into the overall K/D ratio would definetly alleviate that problem. I'm still ok with the game tracking the K/D ratio for each individual objective playlist of course.

RowdyReverb

my MCC xbox is at home, waiting for me to get out of work and start downloading this collection!

So since i've never owned an Xbone i have a few questions:

Does the xb1 have play-as-you-install/download options? And how would that work with something like MCC if it does?

Also, is Snapping video stuff actually something that's useful or is that impractical? I was thinking of snapping Evo on the side while i mess around but I figured I'd ask while i wait.
I've snapped video/TV a few times. For best results, turn down the music volume in the game's options if possible. And most games I think let you play some single player as you install, which is important because MCC is such a crazy big game.

Not a single mention of a MCC CU in this community update. Is it safe to assume they gave up on patching MCC?
What fix are you waiting on in particular?

Not a single mention of a MCC CU in this community update. Is it safe to assume they gave up on patching MCC?

I don't think so. They've gotten the game to a stable state, hopefully this means that they can take their time with the next patch so we avoid missteps like the auto aim issue.

Master Chief Collection in its current state isn't the collection we and Halo deserve. But it is getting there.

Gilgapher

Neo Member
I've snapped video/TV a few times. For best results, turn down the music volume in the game's options if possible. And most games I think let you play some single player as you install, which is important because MCC is such a crazy big game.

What fix are you waiting on in particular?

Join in progress, more than 50 slots for game modes and maps, post game lobbies, fixing games ending out of the blue, fixing halo 3 and halo 2 freezing, inability to change teams during an active custom game, etc.

Join in progress, more than 50 slots for game modes and maps, post game lobbies, fixing games ending out of the blue, fixing halo 3 and halo 2 freezing, inability to change teams during an active custom game, etc.

Join in progress is never coming. More the 50 slots could happen someday, but that's not a "fix". No post-game lobbies is officially by design.

Gilgapher

Neo Member
Join in progress is never coming.

Which I find interesting considering that JIP has existed since at least Halo 2 and they seem to be actively promoting it for Halo 5.

More the 50 slots could happen someday, but that's not a "fix".

An arbitrary local file limit that is smaller than the limit that Halo 3 had? It needs to fixed so it matches the file storage limit of the last released Halo game.

No post-game lobbies is officially by design.

Again, something that existed since the release of Halo 2.

Not trying to argue, but leaving out features that have existed for years is a slap in the face.

Finally jumping into ODST in the MCC - man I forgot how great the atmosphere and the music were in this game!

Not trying to argue, but leaving out features that have existed for years is a slap in the face.

That's a tad bit dramatic.

Which I find interesting considering that JIP has existed since at least Halo 2 and they seem to be actively promoting it for Halo 5.

Huh? What are you talking about? Halo certainly did not have Join in Progress for the vast majority of the series' existence. Plus, people hated it, for reasons I'll never understand, and a large group have actively rallied against the feature's inclusion in Halo games. It's also non-trivial to add anyway. Halo 3 at the very least would have to be pretty significantly reworked to support it. And I'm not sure where you're seeing it "actively promoted" for Halo 5.

An arbitrary local file limit that is smaller than the limit that Halo 3 had? It needs to fixed so it matches the file storage limit of the last released Halo game.

Really not as simple to change as you present it, and they're going to focus on stuff that is actually broken first.

I italicized "officially", as MCC actually did have post-game lobbies at first. When they hacked in their trick to re-form parties after a match, the also changed it so you were sent back to the playlist menu after the match. Their official reasoning was kind of weird and nonsensical and realistically it was probably changed because their party hack probably caused issues with post-game lobbies, but it was intentionally changed either way.

HTupolev

Huh? What are you talking about? Halo certainly did not have Join in Progress for the vast majority of the series' existence. Plus, people hated it, for reasons I'll never understand, and a large group have actively rallied against the feature's inclusion in Halo games.
The complaint is in reference to custom games, not matchmaking.

Fotos

I wouldn't say it's a slap in the face, it's just embarrassing and ridiculous. What was cool about Halo 1-3 was seeing Bungie build off of things that were already in the game making Halo 3 and Reach like a culmination of everything they've done instead of picking and choosing features to put in.

Madness

What's hard to understand about not wanting to join games in progress? I'd rather join a fresh game, from the start, than be put on a team, usually losing halfway or more through the end.

In Warzone, I think it would be fine since it's going to have so many people and the REQ system, but it's absolutely bonkers to think it's a fun experience joining Arena games in progress, especially with AR starts and ranks. Plus I'd say it promotes quitting just as much because people can drop in and drop out at any time.

It works in Call of Duty where you have custom loadouts, maps are large, and there is no on map weapons. But how much fun would it be to join in progress on say Midship with a team holding the key areas, already have BR's and DMR's et.

JIP still has its merits though, for those who get shafted be rage quitters or vote quitters or random d/c's, etc... It sucks losing some or half or most of your team part way through a match, then having to just "wait it out" until the misery ends lol.

Welfare

For quitting, maybe you shouldn't be penalised if half of your team has already quit.

8 players on a team, 4 players leave. Those 4 get penalised and counts against them.

As a part of the remaining 4, if you quit, you don't get penalised and it doesn't count.

That's one way to get rid of the misery of waiting and allows a person to quit from an extremely uneven match without worry.

For quitting, maybe you shouldn't be penalised if half of your team has already quit.

8 players on a team, 4 players leave. Those 4 get penalised and counts against them.

As a part of the remaining 4, if you quit, you don't get penalised and it doesn't count.

That's one way to get rid of the misery of waiting and allows a person to quit from an extremely uneven match without worry.

One way to promoting boosting your friend's account by taking an L for him whenever ya'll bout to lose

Haruko

Honestly, in Ranked playlists, you SHOULD be prevented from staying in the same lobby and replaying the same opponents over and over.

Since most of the HMCC playlists are ranked, i dont personally mind that they had to axe the perpetual lobbies due to performance/network issues

Madness

JIP still has its merits though, for those who get shafted be rage quitters or vote quitters or random d/c's, etc... It sucks losing some or half or most of your team part way through a match, then having to just "wait it out" until the misery ends lol.

There's no guarantee anyone will join as soon as someone quits out, plus there's also no guarantee that same person won't also quit out. Most matches are 5-10 minutes long, not sure how much misery there truly is. Maybe just me though. You can make the case if it becomes 4v1 and it's just a chore to find someone, but you remedy that by having solid quit penalties, deranking. I mean sure some people will get caught up in them if they have genuine connection issues, but I'm certain the overwhelming majority of quitters just want to quit because they don't like the map, gametype, teammates and want to quit out because they know they won't be affected at all, and roll the dice on the next team, map etc.

finowns

Any plans on fixing the spawns in Halo 2 (Original)? It's not unplayable or anything but there are some pretty bad spawns.

I like how LoL & Dotes penalize quitters - you can't matchmake until the one you left ends and you get increasing matched with fellow quitters.
Has worked well in my experience.
Although maybe moba players are more committed.

Takashi

I like how LoL & Dotes penalize quitters - you can't matchmake until the one you left ends and you get increasing matched with fellow quitters.
Has worked well in my experience.
Although maybe moba players are more committed.

I never understood why they haven't taken this approach for Halo. Back when I used to play with some LoL friends, very seldom would we encounter people quitting games, and we would only use queue dodging as a last resort. None of the "oh well I'll just back out the lobby and search again", but instead more like "ugh I guess I'll take one for the team and dodge this time, yall play without me while I wait out the quit ban".

And as for JIP, I thought the obvious solution was yes for social and none for ranked.

And as for JIP, I thought the obvious solution was yes for social and none for ranked.
I think if you fracture the experience too much between Social And Ranked you only increase the pop divide, making people less likely to venture into Ranked as without the JiP you're "used to" from social, it becomes even more threatening.

I think if you fracture the experience too much between Social And Ranked you only increase the pop divide, making people less likely to venture into Ranked as without the JiP you're "used to" from social, it becomes even more threatening.

Yeah, I really don't think so. The system has worked well enough for Gears of War without issue. And even without JiP Halo 3 still had a pretty significant Ranked/Social divide with healthy populations on either side. It would be fine.

Akai__

Always forget to mention it, but I wished Halo 3 spawns actually functioned like the original Halo 3 spawns. You can't even block spawns anymore and the whole spawn system is not even close to to the original one.

Yeah, I really don't think so. The system has worked well enough for Gears of War without issue. And even without JiP Halo 3 still had a pretty significant Ranked/Social divide with healthy populations on either side. It would be fine.

These splits only work, if there are enough players in 1st place. But I agree with you. There should always be Ranked, Social and Custom Games
Browser

Random thought.

What if for Halo 3's anniversary they just updated the Halo 3 terminals to the motion comic-like format of the other terminals?

I'd love a full anniversary overhaul, but I'm not sure how likely/plausible/necessary it would be. Overall Halo 3 still holds up very well, human character models notwithstanding, and I'm not sure if the Xbox One could handle a substantial enough update to be worthwhile while still maintaining 1080p/60FPS, especially if they were do a graphical toggle again. Just updating the terminals though would be a cool nod and a nice way to bring that lore to the foreground. They wouldn't even have to touch H3 necessarily, just throw them in the Halo Channel with a link in MCC and unlocks tied to the original terminal achievements.

Random thought.

What if for Halo 3's anniversary they just updated the Halo 3 terminals to the motion comic-like format of the other terminals?

I'd love a full anniversary overhaul, but I'm not sure how likely/plausible/necessary it would be. Overall Halo 3 still holds up very well, human character models notwithstanding, and I'm not sure if the Xbox One could handle a substantial enough update to be worthwhile while still maintaining 1080p/60FPS, especially if they were do a graphical toggle again. Just updating the terminals though would be a cool nod and a nice way to bring that lore to the foreground. They wouldn't even have to touch H3 necessarily, just throw them in the Halo Channel with a link in MCC and unlocks tied to the original terminal achievements.
I think they won't do a toggle for H3A, that would be way too much for Xbox One.

I think they won't do a toggle for H3A, that would be way too much for Xbox One.

I wouldn't think so either, but even without the toggle I don't imagine them being able to both squeeze out enough gains to be worthwhile while also maintaining performance without it being more trouble than it's worth. Especially since it would probably be pretty difficult to squeeze into MCC without causing all new issues, and a standalone release would be pretty weird. Hence why I'd be ok with just updated terminals instead. Maybe pre-rendered cutscenes too, as they'd mask H3's one major problem:

DOTkan2.jpg

Random thought.

All they would need to do is beef up some textures and overhaul the character models, especially Hood and Sgt Johnson.

I still don't think we really need a H3A. I mean, I'd buy it, but it's held up really well overall.

I would mind new cutscenes like h2a has though...

finowns

Guaranteed not gonna change. They're different from newer Halo games because they're more predictable, so you just have to learn 'em.

Learning them isn't the issue. Spawns, at times, are frequently bizarre. I think you're right 343 focusing on spawns for H2 probably isn't going to happen, which is fine I'll still be playing hardcore.

Madness

Halo 3 should either be fully remastered or not done at all then. I mean we're still two years away from the ten year anniversary, plenty of time to get even more accustomed to the nuances of Xbox One.

I don't care much for the instant switching, they should just offer the original MCC version campaign along with their remastered version. Both running simultaneously is probably too much, so only one version at a time works for me. I'm more interested in seeing the changes to skybox, textures, lighting, enemy models, and other features associated with a remaster than the numbers game too.

heytred

Neo Member
I'm under the assumption that the MCC was made to preempt the expectations of a anniversary port of each game. Obviously the launch didn't go very well so I'm not sure if that strategy is even viable anymore. I guess we'll see.

Apparently Halo 4's in-game text is still affected by your console region. I switched mine to my actual location a while ago, loaded up Halo 4 and was greeted with this abomination.

I don't understand why there's not even a toggle for this stuff. I don't need my Halo translated. It looks ridiculous.

RSB

Banned
Apparently Halo 4's in-game text is still affected by your console region. I switched mine to my actual location a while ago, loaded up Halo 4 and was greeted with this abomination.

I don't understand why there's not even a toggle for this stuff. I don't need my Halo translated. It looks ridiculous.
Yeah, there should be a way to change the language within the game. Having to change the language and region of the entire console is stupid.

Takashi

Good point, though I think as long as the main split is between just ranked and social, then both populations would still thrive. Having JIP be the main difference between the two might be a lot less damaging than Ranked gameplay settings being entirely different than Social settings- i.e. Reach's TU split.

Personally, I would rather not there be any JIP to begin with, but if it has to be put in I think that would be the best option.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Played a couple of games last night without any issues.

Good stuff, thanks.

Good point, though I think as long as the main split is between just ranked and social, then both populations would still thrive. Having JIP be the main difference between the two might be a lot less damaging than Ranked gameplay settings being entirely different than Social settings- i.e. Reach's TU split.

Personally, I would rather not there be any JIP to begin with, but if it has to be put in I think that would be the best option.

Has it been confirmed that there is going to be a ranked/social split for H5? So far I've just been assuming that Warzone is the "social" experience, while the rest of the arena playlists will be ranked (whereas Halo 3 had Lone Wovles AND Rumble Pit).

Top Bottom