• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Takashi

@ Dice, have you tried looking up videos of people running through the level just to get an idea of how to tackle some of the problem areas?

And I'm sure you already figured it out but when the carriers explode they cause chain reactions with any nearby grenades, so the best way to handle them is to just pop them from afar. I mention the carriers because, at least for me, they can be a real pain in the ass since most of the level is tight corridors.

HTupolev

and if I run after taking a hit all the little bugs and weapon fire spam can usually sneak in a small tap just often enough to keep me from being able to recharge my shields
Popcorn flood are all about forcing you to dance. As such they're designed to be predictable and dodgeable, to some degree even in large groups. Playing around with them can actually get quite ridiculous.

But the combination of them being able to leap across the room and hit me that hard let alone with all the explosion spam from the suicide blobs makes it plain absurd to pretend it can be played in the fray like Doom or Serious Sam.
Well, I wasn't really recommending being "in the fray" in that room, although Halo 1 Flood combat really should be quite Doomy at times if you don't want to be frequently dying from being boxed in.

Nah, for that room I was more suggesting popping the Covenant door, saying "hi" with a few shots or a grenade or something, and then quickly booking it to the back. If you try spending significant time in front of the Covenant door, you'll be squashed right in the middle between a bunch of Covenant firepower and an absolutely WALL of Flood. The main goal there is just to get the Covenant and Flood to check each other out.

so it seems I could only start over again on easy and have to yawn my way through the first 3/4 of the game that I just experienced.
You can start from any level. No need to replay the earlier levels to play the latter ones on easy.

Leyasu

Banned
Been getting back into halo the last couple of days. Its still great, has them great moments and a couple running riots each session is always good. But as usual the game is so fucking hit and miss with the lag. Really takes the fun out of this game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I beat it on regular. After scraping through that level (and thankfully having seen a youtube that showed me you can jump down to the banshee and skip the last fight) things seemed to return to normal for the last level, which had somewhat ridiculous design but was okay.

Now Halo 2 looks very pretty in comparison, also somewhat blurry overall and then shimmery for background things. Is this using a dynamic framebuffer? Also suddenly there are a bunch of kickass FMVs and when I found a terminal it decided to introduce me to the Halo Channel after I already used it a few times in the first game. Okaaaaay...

Halo 2 is where I played tons of multiplayer with friends, so these are the mechanics/physics I'm used to. Very nice.

Takashi

I was attempting Two Betrayals on Legendary without switching weapons or killing any grunts to try and knock out both achievements at once. Lol nope. Gave up after half an hour just trying to get to that very first Banshee.

At one point I thinned out enough elites and jackals by the side hallway that I managed to gun it inside and take the lift up. After spamming plasmas at the Wraith from the rock bridge, I went back down the lift but when I got back outside I noticed a dead grunt that must've got caught in the crossfire. Fuck that lol, I'll just settle with playing the level twice. It's probably way less hassle than this.

So I suddenly got the urge to go back through Halo 2 the other day, and I decided to do it via the Master Chief only and Arbiter only playlists, as I hadn't done them yet. I'm about halfway through Master Chief's story, and I feel like they changed campaign scoring values or something? I've been clearing the par scores easy as hell, sometimes multiple times over, and this is on Normal with no skulls, often a fair bit over par time, and with a couple deaths. I just did Regret in 7 minutes over par and a death and got over 12,000 points with a par score of 8,000. Last time I played the level I got around 5,000 with par time and I believe no deaths. When I went for par score on Metropolis originally I barely made it, with about 50-100 points and the score ticking down as I passed par time. This time I hit 24,000 points without even trying.

Hopefully this is the case for the Arbiter missions as well, because I remember them being much more difficult to hit par score on.

Now Halo 2 looks very pretty in comparison, also somewhat blurry overall and then shimmery for background things. Is this using a dynamic framebuffer? Also suddenly there are a bunch of kickass FMVs and when I found a terminal it decided to introduce me to the Halo Channel after I already used it a few times in the first game. Okaaaaay...

In the remastered Anniversary mode Halo 2 runs at a fixed 1328 x 1080, upscaled to 1080p. Classic mode runs at full 1080p.

As someone who hasnt played halo since playing the original when it first released which multiplayer should I focus on when I finally get to dive in this weekend?

Fuchsdh

So I suddenly got the urge to go back through Halo 2 the other day, and I decided to do it via the Master Chief only and Arbiter only playlists, as I hadn't done them yet. I'm about halfway through Master Chief's story, and I feel like they changed campaign scoring values or something? I've been clearing the par scores easy as hell, sometimes multiple times over, and this is on Normal with no skulls, often a fair bit over par time, and with a couple deaths. I just did Regret in 7 minutes over par and a death and got over 12,000 points with a par score of 8,000. Last time I played the level I got around 5,000 with par time and I believe no deaths. When I went for par score on Metropolis originally I barely made it, with about 50-100 points and the score ticking down as I passed par time. This time I hit 24,000 points without even trying.

Hopefully this is the case for the Arbiter missions as well, because I remember them being much more difficult to hit par score on.

In the remastered Anniversary mode Halo 2 runs at a fixed 1328 x 1080, upscaled to 1080p. Classic mode runs at full 1080p.

I know they knocked down par scores on CEA (they were initially ridiculous) might have done similar for those games. The par scores are a bit finicky between games in that for some you absolutely just need to hit the multiplier while others as long as you're moving at a methodical pace and not dying you can probably scrape it at a higher difficulty without any skulls.

I was attempting Two Betrayals on Legendary without switching weapons or killing any grunts to try and knock out both achievements at once. Lol nope. Gave up after half an hour just trying to get to that very first Banshee.

At one point I thinned out enough elites and jackals by the side hallway that I managed to gun it inside and take the lift up. After spamming plasmas at the Wraith from the rock bridge, I went back down the lift but when I got back outside I noticed a dead grunt that must've got caught in the crossfire. Fuck that lol, I'll just settle with playing the level twice. It's probably way less hassle than this.

Best advice I can give you is look at the speed runs for that mission (taking a banshee and pushing a ghost through the final chasm room saves you probably a good 10–20 minutes of fighting), and have a coop buddy to do most of the shooting so you don't hit a Grunt. I assume you're using Bandana Skull too right?

witness

Finished Halo 4 for the first time last night. Really enjoyed it, especially once it hit the half way point and had a lot of vehicle action. It's what makes the series my favorite shooter series. The sense of empowerment is second to none. Enjoyed the story a lot, excited to see Chief without Cortana to get a different dynamic. Loved the music and sound effects, game also runs and looks so fantastic. Looks like a modern game. Totally hyped for 5 now. Onto Halo 2A!

Takashi

Best advice I can give you is look at the speed runs for that mission (taking a banshee and pushing a ghost through the final chasm room saves you probably a good 10–20 minutes of fighting), and have a coop buddy to do most of the shooting so you don't hit a Grunt. I assume you're using Bandana Skull too right?

That Ghost pushing trick is a real life saver lol. Actually learned about it in a video back when I needed tips on some par times. I did end up getting the no weapon switching last night though so just need that other one. A lot of these are just redo's since I had already got 100% in CEA, but I don't think I tried getting both of those at once back then. I may have even used a second controller for those two as well, so I might just borrow a controller and do the grunt one that way. And yeah I'm using bandana- I'm no masochist lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Seeing as how you can flip between them so quickly, I presume this is because it's "running two windows" and thus eating up too much framebuffer. Weird they don't give you the option to forgo the classic rendering to get 1920x1080. That would be the humble thing to do.

Fuchsdh

Seeing as how you can flip between them so quickly, I presume this is because it's "running two windows" and thus eating up too much framebuffer. Weird they don't give you the option to forgo the classic rendering to get 1920x1080. That would be the humble thing to do.

I'm really not sure how technically feasible that would have ever been, really. It's got to spin up and run an instance of the original game no matter what because the additional graphics layer is running atop the original. Aside from that they were pretty adamant about improving on the switching from the Xbox 360, and I think the benefits for most players outweigh the slight hit to image quality.

HTupolev

I'm really not sure how technically feasible that would have ever been, really. It's got to spin up and run an instance of the original game no matter what because the additional graphics layer is running atop the original. Aside from that they were pretty adamant about improving on the switching from the Xbox 360, and I think the benefits for most players outweigh the slight hit to image quality.
I also have my doubts as to whether cutting classic mode would actually significantly improve the performance in anniversary mode, and I would guess that most of the reason for the sub-1080p resolution is just that H2A has a fairly heavy rendering featureset. People compare it to Halo 4, but the shading model is much more expressive, dynamic lights are larger and more varied and include specularity, there's a lot more real-time shadow rendering, the game has much more complex reflection tech... In many ways it's certainly doing more.

Part of my skepticism comes from the substantial evidence I've found that suggests that the two graphical modes don't actually run simultaneously, like certain effects not spawning in Classic Mode if the kick-off event happens when Anniversary mode is enabled, or certain Anniversary Mode screen effects accumulating while running Classic Mode and all firing off at once when you make the switch. I've also checked whether graphical performance spikes in CE's Classic Mode impact framerates while in Anniversary Mode, and they don't (unfortunately with Halo 2 I'm not sure how to use the classic visuals to bring an Xbox One to its knees, so I haven't tested this there).

AlStrong

I also have my doubts as to whether cutting classic mode would actually significantly improve the performance in anniversary mode, and I would guess that most of the reason for the sub-1080p resolution is just that H2A has a fairly heavy rendering featureset. People compare it to Halo 4, but the shading model is much more expressive, dynamic lights are larger and more varied and include specularity, there's a lot more real-time shadow rendering, the game has much more complex reflection tech... In many ways it's certainly doing more.

Part of my skepticism comes from the substantial evidence I've found that suggests that the two graphical modes don't actually run simultaneously, like certain effects not spawning in Classic Mode if the kick-off event happens when Anniversary mode is enabled, or certain Anniversary Mode screen effects accumulating while running Classic Mode and all firing off at once when you make the switch. I've also checked whether graphical performance spikes in CE's Classic Mode impact framerates while in Anniversary Mode, and they don't (unfortunately with Halo 2 I'm not sure how to use the classic visuals to bring an Xbox One to its knees, so I haven't tested this there).

Indeed.. It's probably more of a memory issue (certainly on 360 CEA) for the updated assets.

Even so, one would think the DDR3 bandwidth should be more than enough for classic Halo 2... but I mean, it'd just be insane for them to render all the RTs simultaneously for the current display mode.

---

For CEA 360, I did find it curious that they still ended up with a sub-720p framebuffer in classic, and anniversary mode was still ok with 3D mode (not sure if "true 3D" or 2D+ depth???).

I know they knocked down par scores on CEA (they were initially ridiculous) might have done similar for those games. The par scores are a bit finicky between games in that for some you absolutely just need to hit the multiplier while others as long as you're moving at a methodical pace and not dying you can probably scrape it at a higher difficulty without any skulls.
They changed the par score for all games ages back (every level was 25,000 for some reason), but no, that's not what I'm talking about. The actual scores that are being given themselves seem to have changed, at least in H2. Before I barely hit 8,000 on Metropolis with Heroic, a skull, and no deaths. Now I tripled that on Normal, no skulls, over par time, and a death.

That is exactly what's going on. Although the "just make it an option" route isn't nearly as simple as you make it sound. Plus, as others have said it's entirely possible it would have near reached full 1080p without Classic Mode running in the background anyway.

I can't fathom this opinion. The only thing better about Halo 2's campaign is the story and less backtracking.

Gameplay overall is way more fun in H2. I'll give CE points for more large-scale encounters and the darker tone (H2 is by far the campiest Halo, though that in itself is fairly endearing), but as a whole I'd say H2 is better.

I really need to grind up my H4 rank. Down here in the dregs, I'm seeing 5+ votes for Team Slayer regardless of map. I saw Slayer on Adrift voted up over Extraction on Monolith and Legendary BRs on Haven.

What is WRONG with these people.

I really need to grind up my H4 rank. Down here in the dregs, I'm seeing 5+ votes for Team Slayer regardless of map. I saw Slayer on Adrift voted up over Extraction on Monolith and Legendary BRs on Haven.

What is WRONG with these people.

Everything, I've been playing Halo 2 classic and people actually vote for SMG starts when battle rifle starts are available. People should know better.

It's always been the case that people tend to pick the default Slayer gametype over anything else. In MCC it's more obvious than ever, as they'll pick the worst map/engine combo possible just to not play something that's different than vanilla Slayer.

I honestly wonder how matchmaking choices would change if the gametypes were rebranded to "Slayer" for Slayer BRs and "Slayer ARs"/"Slayer SMGs" for AR/SMG starts. Might make for a fun experiment.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
I can't fathom this opinion. The only thing better about Halo 2's campaign is the story and less backtracking.

Compared to CE the first few levels in 2 are hugely cinematic in scope, with all sorts of neat storytelling stuff thrown around (you get to see the Covenant opinion of what you just did in CE). Then there's all sorts of new guns, dual-wielding looks promising, the low gravity section...I played 2 directly after CE on the PC and was equally blown away. Going back to them though I find 2 hugely inferior to CE in nearly every way. CE is just tighter overall and holds up better.

Played about 7 matches of Team Slayer today and had 1 that was actually remotely competitive, every other one my team had at least twice as many kills. Ranks seem to be working really well.

Man, Halo 2 is SOOOO much better.

Miles bettter. Halo 2 was my favorite Halo up until Halo 4 came out. It's such a fantastic campaign- especially in H2A with the lovely new cutscenes. Beware of Legendary though- it's difficult in the most cruel fashion. :p

Fuchsdh

Some crazy opinions in here :)

Honestly H2A made me hate the campaign more than I originally remembered (hadn't probably played it through fully in about three or four years.)

Not going to lie that was kinda hard to watch because that was like shooting fish in a barrel. Those kills were to simple and almost no skill to pull off :/. I hope they can fix those spawns.

I think they've altered the spawns since then.

------------

The MCC updates usually drop Friday night, no? Interested to hear about this latest patch and how much longer we have the privilege of Team Snipers.

gAg CruSh3r

I think they've altered the spawns since then.

------------

The MCC updates usually drop Friday night, no? Interested to hear about this latest patch and how much longer we have the privilege of Team Snipers.

Oh, Thank God. I should try to get on before Team Snipers is out of rotation.

Fuchsdh

Not going to lie that was kinda hard to watch because that was like shooting fish in a barrel. Those kills were to simple and almost no skill to pull off :/. I hope they can fix those spawns.

I don't really get the point of posting videos like this where your only real skill was figuring out where to sit to spawnkill people. Given how the rest of his teammates weren't going for the objective I assume he was only interested in being the jackass who plays objective to pad his KD.

my MCC xbox is at home, waiting for me to get out of work and start downloading this collection!

So since i've never owned an Xbone i have a few questions:

Does the xb1 have play-as-you-install/download options? And how would that work with something like MCC if it does?

Also, is Snapping video stuff actually something that's useful or is that impractical? I was thinking of snapping Evo on the side while i mess around but I figured I'd ask while i wait.

Well I beat it on regular. After scraping through that level (and thankfully having seen a youtube that showed me you can jump down to the banshee and skip the last fight) things seemed to return to normal for the last level, which had somewhat ridiculous design but was okay.

Halo 2 is where I played tons of multiplayer with friends, so these are the mechanics/physics I'm used to. Very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDA06718B3EC7CB3
This guy's legendary walkthrough videos might help a lot, he goes in depth about how to manage each engagement, the same principle works on lower difficulties as well. And yeah, CE and 2 have A LOT OF bullshit areas.

xboxnerd

Banned
my MCC xbox is at home, waiting for me to get out of work and start downloading this collection!

So since i've never owned an Xbone i have a few questions:

Does the xb1 have play-as-you-install/download options? And how would that work with something like MCC if it does?

Also, is Snapping video stuff actually something that's useful or is that impractical? I was thinking of snapping Evo on the side while i mess around but I figured I'd ask while i wait.

Yes you can play after like 10% of the game is downloaded. In MCC the campaign will be playable first.

The snapped screen is really small if your screen is not big enough. Other than that it is actually an useful feature.

I don't really get the point of posting videos like this where your only real skill was figuring out where to sit to spawnkill people. Given how the rest of his teammates weren't going for the objective I assume he was only interested in being the jackass who plays objective to pad his KD.
Or, if you actually watch the video, they were on defense and he's making the correct play. There's no jackass KD padding here.

The other team can't score when they're all dead.

HTupolev

I'm one of the people who things that not playing the objective is hugely detrimental to the game and that they should take measures to make it less problematic (i.e. eliminate kill tracking from objective playlists).

But I'm not really seeing it here. An action that shuts down the enemy team for an entire minute, while on defense, is definitely playing to the objective.

The map and spawn design here is problematic, not the player behavior.

RSB

Banned
I'm one of the people who things that not playing the objective is hugely detrimental to the game and that they should take measures to make it less problematic (i.e. eliminate kill tracking from objective playlists).

But I'm not really seeing it here. An action that shuts down the enemy team for an entire minute, while on defense, is definitely playing to the objective.

The map and spawn design here is problematic, not the player behavior.
I've been asking for this since forever. The K/D ratio from Objective should not count towards the overall K/D ratio (only Slayer variants should count IMO)

Top Bottom