• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

God damnit still no 4v4 Halo 1 like every other halo game gets. Thats why the CE playlist doesnt get played as much. Heck if I had my greedy way thered be a dedicated halo 1 BTB playlist but I know thats self centered.

And enough with the map weighting already. It's a collection not a best-of. Pick the three map options by total random lottery with no repeats. Fine to weight the gametypes.

God damnit still no 4v4 Halo 1 like every other halo game gets. Thats why the CE playlist doesnt get played as much. Heck if I had my greedy way thered be a dedicated halo 1 BTB playlist but I know thats self centered.
I don't think it's greed, I think it's practical. Halo fans are in three groups with some overlap:
People who want to play CE
People who want to play Halo 2 and Halo 3
People who want to play Halo 4​
There's some overlap, sure, but I think that's how fans can be lumped in terms of them being alright with what games are played/voted for. Halo 2 and Halo 3 should have combined playlists while CE and Halo 4 should have their own.

Akai__

There's some overlap, sure, but I think that's how fans can be lumped in terms of them being alright with what games are played/voted for. Halo 2 and Halo 3 should have combined playlists while CE and Halo 4 should have their own.

No, they really shouldn't. I don't think you can combine those 2.

Akai__

It's better than what we have now where 4-5 games are combined, no? It also wouldn't require a complete overhaul to Matchmaking like toggles would.

How would that make it better? If people want to play Halo 3 they will go into the Halo 3 playlist. Same for Halo 2. If I get a mixed H2/H3 playlist, I will quit every god damn H2 game.

I'm explaining my thoughts poorly. My considerations:

1) I'm not necessarily saying to remove individual playlists for Halo 2 and Halo 3, but I think there's more tolerance from Halo 3 fans playing Halo 2 than there would be for CE fans playing Halo 3 lol

2) Having too many individual playlists may not be practical for a low population, so combining the playlists in this fashion would be the most fair. You go into BTB wanting to play Halo 3, but you get Halo 4 over and over. Who wins here? Only Halo 4 fans, so wouldn't Halo 3 fans rather have a BTB playlist just for Halo 2 and Halo 3 instead of one that combines all 5 games?​

Right now what we have is a bunch of mixed playlists where people are frequently disappointed with what is voted:
1. Big Team Battle
2. Team Slayer
3. Halo 4
4. Team SWAT
5. Team Snipers
6. Halo 3
7. Team Doubles
8. Halo 2: Anniversary
9. Halo 2 Classic
10. Halo: CE
11. HCS
12. Rumble Pit
13. Team Hardcore​

What I'd like is something like this, which I think would please a lot of people:
1. BTB: CE/Halo 4
2. BTB: H2/H2A/H3
3. CE: 2v2
4. CE: 3v3/4v4
5. H2/H2A: 4v4
6. H3: 4v4
7: Team Doubles: H2/H2A/H3
8: Rumble Pit: CE/H2/H2A/H3/H4
9. Team Hardcore: H2/H3​

HCS is done, so let's scrap the individual H2A playlists and combine it with H2. Team SWAT and Snipers are side gametypes, so I'd like to combine those in a Team Action Sack Competitive while having a rotational Team Action Sack Fiesta being what it is now.

Man they're removing SMG start Standoff H3 and I never even got to try it once!

The GOATY

So, with the arrival of Action Sack, MCC Halo 3 has officially seen Plasma Pistol starts, Rocket Launcher starts, Hammer starts, SMG starts, Shotgun starts, Energy Sword starts and Laser starts before BR starts on CTF The Pit.

OrochiJR

So I finished Halo Reach today. I'm currently playing through all the Halo campaigns for the first time, in order of release.
Since Reach was the only game I played outside of the MCC, I was a initially a little bit shocked about the game's performance. But after the first 2-3 missions I was hooked enough to ignore the framerate and tearing issues. Oddly enough I enjoyed the campaigns of ODST and Reach the most so far. The athmosphere and vibe of the two games was pretty great, and more enjoyable than the Master Chief story in a way. Master Chief comes off as this all powerful Schwarzenegger-like action hero, and I liked the stories more about the squads who were in over their heads. Kinda reminded me of Gears a little bit.

But all games have been great so far, only Halo 1 (Anniversary) was a little dissappointing, as it seemed to have aged pretty badly. That was my impression at least.

Anyway, Halo 4 via the MCC is up next. Looking forward to that one since it seems to introduce new stuff to the series.

So I finished Halo Reach today. I'm currently playing through all the Halo campaigns for the first time, in order of release.
Since Reach was the only game I played outside of the MCC, I was a initially a little bit shocked about the game's performance. But after the first 2-3 missions I was hooked enough to ignore the framerate and tearing issues. Oddly enough I enjoyed the campaigns of ODST and Reach the most so far. The athmosphere and vibe of the two games was pretty great, and more enjoyable than the Master Chief story in a way. Master Chief comes off as this all powerful Schwarzenegger-like action hero, and I liked the stories more about the squads who were in over their heads. Kinda reminded me of Gears a little bit.

But all games have been great so far, only Halo 1 (Anniversary) was a little dissappointing, as it seemed to have aged pretty badly. That was my impression at least.

Anyway, Halo 4 via the MCC is up next. Looking forward to that one since it seems to introduce new stuff to the series.
Cool, it's nice to hear impressions from someone new to the series.

Interested to hear what you think of 4.

Akai__

I went back to Reach a week ago to play "Long Night of Solace" and "Tip of the Spear". Framerate was really rough and it was really noticeabled coming from the MCC. Hope Reach campaign gets a 1080p/60FPS treatment.

I think many people think that way about Halo CE. I really appreciated it back in the day, but we all have different standards these days and backtracking is not one if them.

Let us hear from you again, when you complete Halo 4. Also what difficulty did you play on?

---

"Gears of War could have LAN support". I thought that was already set in stone. lol

People say that CoD alread has LAN/System Link, but since I don't play CoD anymore I don't know if that is true or if it still requires 1 Xbox One to be connected. Somebody should check that.

I don't think 343i is adding LAN support to Halo 5, since the whole game is basically online. No offline custom games and potentially no offline campaign (?). Maybe they will add it afterwards.

"Gears of War could have LAN support". I thought that was already set in stone. lol

People say that CoD alread has LAN/System Link, but since I don't play CoD anymore I don't know if that is true or if it still requires 1 Xbox One to be connected. Somebody should check that.

I don't think 343i is adding LAN support to Halo 5, since the whole game is basically online. No offline custom games and potentially no offline campaign (?). Maybe they will add it afterwards.

GoWUE has it, GoW4 could have it.

Haven't played this in close to 2 weeks, turned it on last night.

MOTD says there's ranks for a lot of playlists now, oh and they fucked up the aim assist on H1 again. Hilarious.

At least they openly say when they fuck up now.

So do the games not have mid-match joining? It seems like it would alleviate some of the issues with the long wait times to find a match and help with making the online game fun.

I played a H2 BTB MultFlag match yesterday and was super stoked that I scored a flag, only to have it pointed out that the other team was down to 1 player by the time i had made my trek across the map. Meh.

So do the games not have mid-match joining? It seems like it would alleviate some of the issues with the long wait times to find a match and help with making the online game fun.

I played a H2 BTB MultFlag match yesterday and was super stoked that I scored a flag, only to have it pointed out that the other team was down to 1 player by the time i had makde my trek across the map. Meh.

You say that sort of thing around here and people will accuse you of being literally hitler.

Anyway no the games dont have join-in-progress because halo fans think it completely ruins halo forever. Theyd much rather play with quitter and uneven teams.

I say have it turned off for ranked and have it turned on for social like BTB.

You say that sort of thing around here and people will accuse you of being literally hitler.

Anyway no the games dont have join-in-progress because halo fans think it completely ruins halo forever. Theyd much rather play with quitter and uneven teams.

It's not that it ruins the game, it's just that as far as quitting fixes go, it sucks.

It's not that it ruins the game, it's just that as far as quitting fixes go, it sucks.

but what would you suggest as a better option? Bots? No option at all?

I can't think of a better option. Surely it's better than the 8 vs 1 issue i posted earlier or the long waits for finding a match that seems to plague MCC now.

I can't see how it would hurt things at all

IDK about you guys, but I'd be fine with a system that recognizes the team imbalance when someone leaves and the result of the match won't affect your rank and you're also able to leave w/o your rank being affected.

but what would you suggest as a better option? Bots? No option at all?

I can't think of a better option. Surely it's better than the 8 vs 1 issue i posted earlier or the long waits for finding a match that seems to plague MCC now.

I can't see how it would hurt things at all

Quitters jails, locking people out of matches they leave until completion (coupled with a surrender vote option)...

There are games without either JiP or a plague of quitting. Steal their fixes.

IDK about you guys, but I'd be fine with either a system that recognizes the team imbalance when someone leaves and the result of the match won't affect your rank and you're also able to leave w/o your rank being affected.

Could work, but might be too easy to abuse. Get a whole party together, if it looks like you're losing have one guy quit out and wait.

well i understand it being an issue for ranked matches but there's no excuse for anything that isn't ranked. Just let people jump in, there's no consequence to it in those modes

Quitters jails, locking people out of matches they leave until completion (coupled with a surrender vote option)...

There are games without either JiP or a plague of quitting. Steal their fixes.

Could work, but might be too easy to abuse. Get a whole party together, if it looks like you're losing have one guy quit out and wait.

Probably over-complicates the process, but give people an allotment of quits over specific periods of time (e.g. X number of quits per X number of matches)

The system could recognize when a player has a high frequency of quits, or a high frequency of being first to quit then penalize appropriately.

well i understand it being an issue for ranked matches but there's no excuse for anything that isn't ranked. Just let people jump in, there's no consequence to it in those modes

Well, there's also the consequence that nobody really talks about; namely, it's not very fun. Getting dumped into a losing match halfway through is often pretty miserable.

Probably over-complicates the process, but give people an allotment of quits over specific periods of time (e.g. X number of quits per X number of matches)

The system could recognize when a player has a high frequency of quits, or a high frequency of being first to quit then penalize appropriately.

Could work, could work.

Fuchsdh

Quitting and leavers seem like the perennial problem every knows exists and everyone has a different suggestion for solving it.

For my 2p, I think quitting restrictions on matchmaking + resign option (if something like 3/5s or a majority of players tap out within a set period, game ends) seem like the best option.

I've also wondered if a ready-up system would be a good idea like they have in Dota 2, but then again the time sink for a game of Halo is significantly shorter than a MOBA so it might be too much process bloat. Ideally, you're trying to get players in and out of matches ASAP.

As far as quitting vs disconnects go if a player is having so many disconnects it appears they're quitting then they deserve the same penalty. When you look at the other players in those games it's the same BS either way.

There should be a minimal leniency for both e.g. 2-3 quits/disconnects per day with a tiered penalty. There should also be a vote to surrender option if a game is lopsided at 25 of 50 kills or one/two players quit on the same team. Majority surrender vote = end game for all.

• 1 quit/discon = 1min before allowed to search with a warning message and link for connection issue(s) help.
  • 2 quits = 5 mins out.
  • 3 quits and you're out for 15 minutes irrespective of your action or connection issue.
  • 4 or more and you're out for 12-24 hours.
  • Use a 24 hour window or cumulative over 3 days.

Again penalties only deal with symptoms instead of the source of why players quit. Players quit because they didn't get what they wanted to vote for, their game is lopsided, they disconnect, their friends what to play too and a few other reasons. Matchmaking toggles for maps, gametypes and region reduce the need for negative penalties but push a more positive experience through player choice.

Also here's a fine example from last night of a non-dedis game that leads to quitters at the start of the match. I go to assassinate the enemy, try twice before it registers, he dies, still goes behind me and lands a melee after he is dead. Fun times.

So the allies on our team quit within the first minute due to the BS. The real funny part is here is a game that doesn't even register in my Waypoint game history. I hate to be a downer but MCC multiplayer wise is so up and down with its experience quality and I'm beyond frustrated with it.

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

5v5 Halo 4 Ranked with motion tracker and Armor Abilities might be the worst experience in TMCC; it maybe worse than AR starts on Sandtrap and Plasma Rifle starts on Midship.

It reminds me how justified people were in hating Halo 4 when it launched, especially with random Ordnance Drops and Personal Ordnance giving power weapons. Camo returning as an AA after people despising it in Reach? What were they thinking.. lol

daedalius

5v5 Halo 4 Ranked with motion tracker and Armor Abilities might be the worst experience in TMCC; it maybe worse than AR starts on Sandtrap and Plasma Rifle starts on Midship.

It reminds me how justified people were in hating Halo 4 when it launched, especially with random Ordnance Drops and Personal Ordnance giving power weapons. Camo returning as an AA after people despising it in Reach? What were they thinking.. lol

god no

Camo is bad, but usually its scrubs that are using that and prom vis.

jem0208

Pfft. It's the only thing I play on the MCC now.

Remove boltshot from loadouts and destroy Promethean vision in a fire and it would be fine.

Fuchsdh

I like my wall hacks though.

I miss the Boltshot already too. Blowing up someone as they step around the corner was incredibly satisfying. I'm interested in seeing how its new functionality will work in H5, but I enjoyed it in H4. It also helped that it felt the most alien of the Forerunner weapons, and sorta' looked like the weapons we saw in Halo Legends.

I miss the Boltshot already too. Blowing up someone as they step around the corner was incredibly satisfying. I'm interested in seeing how its new functionality will work in H5, but I enjoyed it in H4. It also helped that it felt the most alien of the Forerunner weapons, and sorta' looked like the weapons we saw in Halo Legends.

I don't mind the Boltshot, but it just definitely doesn't need to be a starting weapon. If it was a pick-up I wouldn't have a problem with it. We'll see how it turns out in H5!

jem0208

The Boltshot itself is a pretty cool weapon, it should not be a starting weapon though.

I'm not too keen on the changes they've made to it in H5...

daedalius

If the boltshot had of been a on-map pickup weapon, retaining its pocket shotgun qualities I think would have been fine.

I just hope the Scattershot is now the Flak cannon we deserve. I absolutely loved that weapon in UT, and the Scattershot, despite repeated attempts to love it, just wasn't close in h4.

I don't think it's greed, I think it's practical. Halo fans are in three groups with some overlap:
People who want to play CE
People who want to play Halo 2 and Halo 3
People who want to play Halo 4​

I disagree. I only want to play 3 and 4. 1 and 2 were cool to replay at first, but they've outstayed their welcome for me.

As a newcomer to the series the options for MP are really overwhelming

I tried playing a bit a little while ago and had no idea what I was doing or which playlists to try

I do appreciate the amount of options though. It's just intimidating coming in here and not really understanding anything people are talking about :(

I tried playing a bit a little while ago and had no idea what I was doing or which playlists to try

I do appreciate the amount of options though. It's just intimidating coming in here and not really understanding anything people are talking about :(

Start in Big Team Battle, branch out from there. BTB is easy on the newbs (since no one player's performance is gonna make or break a team).

Do feel free ask for peeps to play with, Halo excels when you have dependable & enjoyable cohorts to play with.

Top Bottom