• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Hello Halo Gaf. Hoping to be apart of this community soon. I'm now the proud owner of a Xbox One! Installing Halo MCC now.
obamasweat8ouew.png

Fuchsdh

Halogaf might exist again closer to H5 release.

Till then... well, its just dust and echoes.

FTFY.

In unrelated news, finally got the final achievements to finish off Halo Wars, means I've 100% every Halo game except MCC, and Vista (which I've never played and never will...) I legitimately think Halo Wars stomps all other games in how ridiculous Legendary is on several levels.

With that said, I'm not looking forward to trying to get sub-3hr H2 Legendary, since it's the only game you can't really chuck another body at and actually help you. :|

FTFY.

In unrelated news, finally got the final achievements to finish off Halo Wars, means I've 100% every Halo game except MCC, and Vista (which I've never played and never will...) I legitimately think Halo Wars stomps all other games in how ridiculous Legendary is on several levels.

With that said, I'm not looking forward to trying to get sub-3hr H2 Legendary, since it's the only game you can't really chuck another body at and actually help you. :|

Still missing General... I have a friend who is also missing only that, but he doesn't want to go for it even though it wouldn't be so bad if we space it out, and I don't really want to do it with random people online either... I did 100% Vista though. :p

I got a good few left on MCC (60 or so), but most of it is annoying HCEA achievements which I just don't ever feel like doing, LASO, three hour Legendary runs, and the terribad online achievements.

Fuchsdh

Still missing General... I have a friend who is also missing only that, but he doesn't want to go for it even though it wouldn't be so bad if we space it out, and I don't really want to do it with random people online either... I did 100% Vista though. :p

I got a good few left on MCC (60 or so), but most of it is annoying HCEA achievements which I just don't ever feel like doing, LASO, three hour Legendary runs, and the terribad online achievements.

If you need someone to boost I did it entirely through arranging TrueAchievement sessions. It's a lifesaver for the grinding achievements you'd never bother going for legit.

Hopefully my XB1 comes back soon so I can get back to playing MCC. It's funny the 360 titles still hold up well for the most part, but Reach really is the worst looking now... it would definitely benefit from the 1080p60 upgrade.

Me and my chum got General on HW legit. It took a long time, but we loved it.

It was a terrific game - it'd have been praised on PC, I reckon. The only issue I had with it was if late-game stretched on, stalemate was too easy to achieve. It needed some dynamic elements to shift a pitched battle onto a new axis.

Prezhulio

Just sat on find game for "team action sack" for 5 minutes with three failed attempts to matchmake after saying players found. I hadn't tried multiplayer for a month (and had one fast connecting, great playing game then...followed by a similar fail of disconnecting mid session in the next game), just disappointed that this'll never work as it should....like halo.

Such a bummer, guess there's no re-living my glory days of lan halo parties with fun variants, without the actual lan.

I'm going through the Halo games currently for the first time, I've played the MP's since I was quite a bit younger but never the campaigns..

I'm currently on halo 2 and finding it much better that CE to be honest - much more mission variety along with seeing the other side makes it interesting.

Question though : after the original trilogy which order shall I play the rest in? Order of release? I can borrow halo reach from s friend so I have that to play too.

I'm going through the Halo games currently for the first time, I've played the MP's since I was quite a bit younger but never the campaigns..

I'm currently on halo 2 and finding it much better that CE to be honest - much more mission variety along with seeing the other side makes it interesting.

Question though : after the original trilogy which order shall I play the rest in? Order of release? I can borrow halo reach from s friend so I have that to play too.

Order of release. And Reach doesn't work on the xb1...yet. We don't know if they're going to remaster it or add it to the BC list as of now. But that's still at least a couple of games away so that situation might change by the time you get to that game

Order of release. And Reach doesn't work on the xb1...yet. We don't know if they're going to remaster it or add it to the BC list as of now. But that's still at least a couple of games away so that situation might change by the time you get to that game

Ah OK, thanks for the reply! I thought that would be the answer but thought I'd check due to the prequel thing.. I assume I'll be able to understand Reach/ODST with little knowledge outside of what is in the games?

And that isn't a problem, I'm hoping they announce Reach for MCC tomoorrow but if they don't I still have the 360 anyway.

Fuchsdh

Order of release is always the correct answer when you've got tightly sequential stories. Leave attempting chronological stuff for spinoffs.

And while I hate H2 Legendary with a passion, one thing it dramatically improved on and always trips me up when I go back to CE is making your melees feel like they actually connect. Was super easy for me to feel like I was evading a blow in CE just to see myself take damage.

Order of release is always the correct answer when you've got tightly sequential stories. Leave attempting chronological stuff for spinoffs.

And while I hate H2 Legendary with a passion, one thing it dramatically improved on and always trips me up when I go back to CE is making your melees feel like they actually connect. Was super easy for me to feel like I was evading a blow in CE just to see myself take damage.

I'm glad that's the consensus - I assume it would be weird to do 1 - 4 in order? I'm glad I started early as I'd probably have to skip Reach/ODST had I not - and with the squad from ODST being in 5 playing that might be helpful.

I'd agree about Melee, and I feel on the whole like 2 is much more mechanically sound. This is something many won't agree on but I prefer 2's health system too - losing your health bar in CE would make some sections very, very difficult and a bit dull IMO.

I'm currently on the penultimate issue of 2, I'm hoping it holds up. I really like the Arbiter/Chief thing - I watched Arby n' the Chief when I was younger but never realised that the story involved them coming together somewhat!

It'll be interesting to see which I enjoy the most of the series once 5 comes out, I lack nostalgia for the early ones so am somewhat impartial, but having been used to 'Call of Duty' style FPS controls I may lean unfairly towards the newer games.

Fuchsdh

I'm glad that's the consensus - I assume it would be weird to do 1 - 4 in order? I'm glad I started early as I'd probably have to skip Reach/ODST had I not - and with the squad from ODST being in 5 playing that might be helpful.

I'd agree about Melee, and I feel on the whole like 2 is much more mechanically sound. This is something many won't agree on but I prefer 2's health system too - losing your health bar in CE would make some sections very, very difficult and a bit dull IMO.

I'm currently on the penultimate issue of 2, I'm hoping it holds up. I really like the Arbiter/Chief thing - I watched Arby n' the Chief when I was younger but never realised that the story involved them coming together somewhat!

It'll be interesting to see which I enjoy the most of the series once 5 comes out, I lack nostalgia for the early ones so am somewhat impartial, but having been used to 'Call of Duty' style FPS controls I may lean unfairly towards the newer games.

Universal control schemes have been a lifesaver for me, because Halo 3's accommodation of dual-wielding was always frustrating and I could never get it to click for me. I pretty much use the Halo 4-ish style ("Reclaimer") since sprint works best for me on a stick and I like melee being easily accessible.

As for just playing 1-4 through, now that ODST's out you can really choose. Chronologically Halo 3: ODST takes place during Halo 2, but it also doesn't contain all the same features as Halo 3 (such as dual wielding), so it might feel better to play it after Halo 3 before you go into Halo 4, since that's a gameplay commonality.

Universal control schemes have been a lifesaver for me, because Halo 3's accommodation of dual-wielding was always frustrating and I could never get it to click for me. I pretty much use the Halo 4-ish style ("Reclaimer") since sprint works best for me on a stick and I like melee being easily accessible.

As for just playing 1-4 through, now that ODST's out you can really choose. Chronologically Halo 3: ODST takes place during Halo 2, but it also doesn't contain all the same features as Halo 3 (such as dual wielding), so it might feel better to play it after Halo 3 before you go into Halo 4, since that's a gameplay commonality.

I'm really glad they did that too as the default Halo controls for me were awful. What button do you map melee to? Mines on RB.

So ODST is missing some stuff that's in 3? I've always been confused by the idea of ODST to be honest, but many seem to consider it great.

Fuchsdh

I'm really glad they did that too as the default Halo controls for me were awful. What button do you map melee to? Mines on RB.

So ODST is missing some stuff that's in 3? I've always been confused by the idea of ODST to be honest, but many seem to consider it great.

It's a great campaign—it mostly serves as a sort of short-but-sweet greatest hits of a lot of Halo's campaign elements. Sniper insertions? Check. Vehicular rampage? Check. Defense against overwhelming odds? Check.

Compared to Halo 3 you can't use equipment (and only a few types of equipment are used against you), you're weaker, you have health packs return, and you can't dual wield. You do get an incredibly powerful scoped pistol and silenced SMG along with a visor mode that lets you see in the dark. In many ways it's got a lot of CE in it in terms of player abilities.

\I've been playing some matchmaking again, jumped on Halo 3 for a bit and got annoyed real fast that everything wasn't BR starts. I would love to have all 3 voting choices open to me, perhaps play some objective but it's BR or nothing, AR is terrible. Hell, I'm not digging the BR either, feels so inconsistent online, which was always the case but it's kind of not worth dealing with in 2015.

It's a great campaign—it mostly serves as a sort of short-but-sweet greatest hits of a lot of Halo's campaign elements. Sniper insertions? Check. Vehicular rampage? Check. Defense against overwhelming odds? Check.

Compared to Halo 3 you can't use equipment (and only a few types of equipment are used against you), you're weaker, you have health packs return, and you can't dual wield. You do get an incredibly powerful scoped pistol and silenced SMG along with a visor mode that lets you see in the dark. In many ways it's got a lot of CE in it in terms of player abilities.

That sounds really good - I started Halo 3 and I'm struggling a bit with it after Halo 2A (which was obviously heavily reworked). I'll push through though - do I need to watch Nightfall or is it skippable?

Fuchsdh

That sounds really good - I started Halo 3 and I'm struggling a bit with it after Halo 2A (which was obviously heavily reworked). I'll push through though - do I need to watch Nightfall or is it skippable?

Nightfall is entirely skippable. It's not as bad as I've heard some people represent, but it's not really engaging either (the 'second stories' that are ancillary to the main plot are actually the best part) and in terms of future plot hooks, all it does is let you know what a main character was doing a few years ago. It's not essential to Halo 5, let alone the rest of MCC.

what would you say is good halo media? Is that anime thing any good?

After buying TMCC i've got the halo bug again and i want to check some of that stuff out now that i'm more invested in the universe.

After buying TMCC i've got the halo bug again and i want to check some of that stuff out now that i'm more invested in the universe.

Read Fall of Reach.

The anime stuff is hit or miss. Mostly miss, IMO, but some people like it.

Read Fall of Reach.

The anime stuff is hit or miss. Mostly miss, IMO, but some people like it.

the only reason i've avoided Fall of Reach is that I hear that Halo Reach conflicts with the book. So i'd rather stick with the game lore than the book lore because I don't want that conflict in my life hah

Halo: Evolutions: Essential Stories from the Halo Universe is probably the best "book" besides Fall of Reach.

They made a few digital shorts from the Evolutions book which are also pretty good.

Who else has a lobby that doesn't show friends online in MCC? It's been like this for weeks. Almost every other week night friends and I have to party up through party chat instead of lobby invites. It doesn't matter if friends are in multi or campaign, they just don't show in lobby.

Is it another case of Australian only issues?

Who else has a lobby that doesn't show friends online in MCC? It's been like this for weeks. Almost every other week night friends and I have to party up through party chat instead of lobby invites. It doesn't matter if friends are in multi or campaign, they just don't show in lobby.

It's been happening to everyone for over a month now. A day or two with a roster then back to shit again promptly.

I've had that problem for a month though I've also had friends who claim they still have their list. I wonder if it's tied to number of Xbox live friends or something.

Might be tied to the new Win10 system/dash backend or Azure updates for H5 launch etc. I doubt it's any tweaks or patches to MCC itself.

Nightfall is entirely skippable. It's not as bad as I've heard some people represent, but it's not really engaging either (the 'second stories' that are ancillary to the main plot are actually the best part) and in terms of future plot hooks, all it does is let you know what a main character was doing a few years ago. It's not essential to Halo 5, let alone the rest of MCC.

Awesome, I'll only play that if I finish everything else and really fancy more.

Thanks for your responses - onward with Halo 3!

Akai__

Halo 3 Team Hardcore just went live for a short amount of time, but 343i had to remove it because it caused crashes...

I don't even...

Bumhead

Banned
Got this yesterday with my new Xbox One.

I've never played 4, never finished 2 and I've not played ANY Halo at all since 3 first came out, so looking forward to tackling them.

Playing through in release order, but I think I'm going to re-start Halo 1. For some bizarre reason I arrogantly thought I could just jump straight back in with Heroic. I'm dying a lot.. to the point of not being enjoyable. This is a lot harder than I remember, or maybe I'm just out of practice. Think I need to restart on normal mode.

I've never played 4, never finished 2 and I've not played ANY Halo at all since 3 first came out, so looking forward to tackling them.

Playing through in release order, but I think I'm going to re-start Halo 1. For some bizarre reason I arrogantly thought I could just jump straight back in with Heroic. I'm dying a lot.. to the point of not being enjoyable. This is a lot harder than I remember, or maybe I'm just out of practice. Think I need to restart on normal mode.

Don't rush, make use of pop-in/out cover and learn to back track a little when getting overwhelmed. Weapon selection/management also has a lot to do with it too, the covie weapons are best for stripping shields where human weapons are better for headshot kills.

Nowise10

Campaign expert here:
Take it slow. Only get cocky if you just got a checkpoint, other then that just stay back and pick enemies off. Plasma Pistol is your friend in every single Halo campaign, it will take down any enemies shields. Basically every Grunt has one, so its pretty easy to take down elites and sentinels.
In Halo:CE, Healthpacks are scattered all over, along with ammo, so explore alittle after you're safe, and you should always be able to find stuff.

If you have questions about anything post them and I will answer.

Halo 3 Team Hardcore just went live for a short amount of time, but 343i had to remove it because it caused crashes...

I don't even...

They released it without notification? I see no announcement, probably indicative of their confidence in it. Do you know whether it was solely H3 or if they mixed it with H2C?

I've kept awy after one too many games of Derdicatad SerVerZ and AR starts. This will pull me back in if they get it functional.

Montresor

So it's been about a month since I started MCC and I'm still only on the Assault On The Control Room level in Halo CE.

The reason for this is I am really really discouraged by the broken achievements when playing a playlist in splitscreen co-op. The non-primary splitscreen partner routinely misses achievements for completing levels, forcing us to replay the level outside the playlist. The solution is to play the playlist in online co-op - that works much better for myself and my brother. But I would much rather be right next to him while playing through this series. If we play the Master Chief Saga Playlist in splitscreen co-op - broken achievements. If we play it in online co-op - achievements work.

Maybe it would be better to just forgo this playlist and play through 1, 2, 3, ODST and 4 normally (aka not through the Master Chief Saga Playlist).

The only reason we are using the Master Chief Saga Playlist for our first run through all the Halos is because there is an achievement tied to it. But perhaps we can just go through that quickly at some other time and just enjoy Halo outside of the playlist for now.

Is what I am describing a known, widespread, easily-reproducible issue? And are there any plans from 343 to fix it?

Bumhead

Banned
Don't rush, make use of pop-in/out cover and learn to back track a little when getting overwhelmed. Weapon selection/management also has a lot to do with it too, the covie weapons are best for stripping shields where human weapons are better for headshot kills.

Campaign expert here:
Take it slow. Only get cocky if you just got a checkpoint, other then that just stay back and pick enemies off. Plasma Pistol is your friend in every single Halo campaign, it will take down any enemies shields. Basically every Grunt has one, so its pretty easy to take down elites and sentinels.
In Halo:CE, Healthpacks are scattered all over, along with ammo, so explore alittle after you're safe, and you should always be able to find stuff.

If you have questions about anything post them and I will answer.

Nice one, cheers guys. I'll give it another shot on Heroic.

Truth and Reconciliation is giving me the most headaches. The room right above boarding with the cloaked, one shot kill covenant took me ages, and now I'm in the hanger bay further into the ship and generally getting swarmed. I've noticed I have a much easier time playing with the original visuals than the anniversary ones. A weird thing to note, but I guess the more primitive visuals make it easier to see the covenant. That was the only way I could beat the very start of T&R.

Akai__

They released it without notification? I see no announcement, probably indicative of their confidence in it. Do you know whether it was solely H3 or if they mixed it with H2C?

I've kept awy after one too many games of Derdicatad SerVerZ and AR starts. This will pull me back in if they get it functional.

I saw a coupple of people talking about it on Twitter and when I joined a stream to see it with my own eyes it was already gone. But the streamer (and viewers) complained about how broken it was. People in the chat demanded a Halo 3 Hardcore only list, so I guess it was mixed.

I just don't get what the difference is between Forge maps with MLG settings and Forge maps with other customized settings. Why do Forge maps work in Action Sack, while they don't work for MLG? It's even more weird, if standard maps caused the crashes. Would really like to know what's causing these issues, but 343i probably doesn't know it yet either.

I saw a coupple of people talking about it on Twitter and when I joined a stream to see it with my own eyes it was already gone. But the streamer (and viewers) complained about how broken it was. People in the chat demanded a Halo 3 Hardcore only list, so I guess it was mixed.

I just don't get what the difference is between Forge maps with MLG settings and Forge maps with other customized settings. Why do Forge maps work in Action Sack, while they don't work for MLG? It's even more weird, if standard maps caused the crashes. Would really like to know what's causing these issues, but 343i probably doesn't know it yet either.

Thanks. Yeah I think the fans that have been waiting for these H3 hardcore variants since day one would be a lot more empathetic if 343 could offer a small insight into why they're causing so many problems. Putting out Smashed and Team plasma pistols in H3 but just continuing to say they're working on hardcore settings for 10 odd months now really doesn't help them.

I've started playing Halo 1 on legendary with a coop buddy.

holy crap all the enemies are just huge bullet sponges. I think we're just going to play on heroic because after 2 missions it's not that enjoyable.

I've started playing Halo 1 on legendary with a coop buddy.

holy crap all the enemies are just huge bullet sponges. I think we're just going to play on heroic because after 2 missions it's not that enjoyable.

I did the exact same thing yesterday and yeah, they take forever to take down. But i was still enjoying myself. I think that had Halo CE been 4 player co-op, it would have been perfect at that difficulty.

Fuchsdh

I've never been all that bothered by CE Legendary, probably because while enemies are tough, you can outrange every enemy in the game. There are no enemies with sniper rifles, and you almost always have pistol ammo to use. Plasma Rifles can stun Elites and make engaging single ones trivial. Later on the Flood provide another challenge in that they’ve got massive numbers and have surprise shotguns or rockets (less of an issue in anniversary graphics.) But you’ve still got a shotgun that can stumble and kill enemies even at medium range, a Sniper Rifle perfect for no-scopes, and one of the best incarnations of the plasma pistol overcharge. Aside from a less powerful melee and no regenerating health, it’s one of the more favorable combat sandboxes for the player.

The other component that probably makes it easier is that I’ve just played it so much, I know where the monster closets are and when they’ll trigger, where I can run past an engagement and get a good checkpoint versus whether it’s better to sit back and go through it methodically. There’s still areas of annoyance (Hey, Two Betrayals opening!) but coop alleviates those issues as well, while introducing the “my bro spawned right in front of me and I smacked him upside the head”.

My major advice is just to ditch the assault rifle completely; aside from killing infection forms it's largely useless even if you're good at pulsing the trigger.

Only easier campaign to me is ODST.

Top Bottom