• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

jem0208

As a newcomer to the series the options for MP are really overwhelming

I tried playing a bit a little while ago and had no idea what I was doing or which playlists to try

I do appreciate the amount of options though. It's just intimidating coming in here and not really understanding anything people are talking about :(

As people have said, Big Team Battle is a good place to start out.

Some quick tips:

1. Automatic weapons are useless at anything other than extremely close range (even then they mostly suck). You want to use precision weapons; they are the pistol in CE and the BR in 2, 3, 4 and H2A. There's also the DMR, Light Rifle and Carbine however they're slightly more difficult to use.

2. An unshielded player will die from a single headshot with any of the precision weapons however damage is uniform across the entire body when shielded. Basically this means you want to aim for the chest until you knock their shields out then pull up for the headshot.

3. Strafing is very important. Try and get used to moving unpredictably and you'll win a lot more BR battles. Running in a straight line directly towards the enemy will get you killed very quickly.

4. Watch your radar. The radar in Halo is ridiculously powerful (and very much game breaking at a high level).

Nowise10

What the hell is wrong with game developers
WW8sosS.png

Legit have to play every game going -10 because all I can focus on is fusion coils and stalactites. I gotta back out of matches that aren't Lockdown, because its the only map possible to actually get environmentalist medals. Why would they think 100 kills is reasonable? They have to just laugh knowing it will just piss people off when they create these achievements.

WW8sosS.png

Legit have to play every game going -10 because all I can focus on is fusion coils and stalactites. I gotta back out of matches that aren't Lockdown, because its the only map possible to actually get environmentalist medals. Why would they think 100 kills is reasonable? They have to just laugh knowing it will just piss people off when they create these achievements.

Dude, just make a custom game for it. That's how I got a lot of mine. (Unless they fixed the non-matchmaking bug, in which case idk)

Akai__

http://i.imgur.com/WW8sosS.png

Gametype and Medal specific gametypes are just the worst. They want you to play bad or boost them with friends. None of the 343i devs would even attempt to get these achievements.

How many controllers do you have Nowise?

I'm still mad at my Killing Spree progress reset from 83% to 3%...

Dude, just make a custom game for it. That's how I got a lot of mine. (Unless they fixed the non-matchmaking bug, in which case idk)

The ones that say "in matchmaking" never were possible in custom games. We tested all of them after each patch. There are achievement that work in custom games, but this is not one of them.

Montresor

WW8sosS.png

How do you get to this screen in MCC? Whenever I go to MCC Achievements it launches the achievements app (or snaps the achievements app - can't remember).

Akai__

How do you get to this screen in MCC? Whenever I go to MCC Achievements it launches the achievements app (or snaps the achievements app - can't remember).

Really? That's weird, but doesn't surprise me at this point.

Normally you just press the start button somewhere in the menus and go to the career tab. An achievement tab should be there somewhere.

Try @xboxsupport maybe.

So i posted on the Halo Site in the support forum of all places and got one response on how the game is fucked up.

This cloud save shit is apparently a known issue, lots of people posting stuff there about with no responses from 343. How helpful of 343. Thank god they have that support forum.

WW8sosS.png

Yup that one should have been through all games

Is there any reason why I can't find an MCC TS match? Is matchmaking borked for anyone else today? It's worked reasonably the previous few days.

Nowise10

How many controllers do you have Nowise?

Two controllers. I've tried multiple times to get boosting team going, but getting together 4 strangers is too difficult, I guess. They never get on when they say they will, and then the timing never ends up working out, and then they quit responding to messages.

I've got two controllers, and my friend has another two. So I need the second team filled in. Do you have 4 controllers?

For the last week every time I try to play multi on MCC, it says downloading data, and then stays that way. Yesterday it gave me a different message saying that I was blocked from playing multi because my Xbox Live settings didn't allow it. Which I checked, they do, and my Gold subscription doesn't need renewal til 2016.

I have tried hard reset twice, but no luck. Any suggestions?

For the last week every time I try to play multi on MCC, it says downloading data, and then stays that way. Yesterday it gave me a different message saying that I was blocked from playing multi because my Xbox Live settings didn't allow it. Which I checked, they do, and my Gold subscription doesn't need renewal til 2016.

XBL has been having issues today. Wait it out.

jem0208

I get this occassionally but just backing out and trying again or quitting the game always fixes it.

I played a bunch of action sack so fucking good.

I had never played lightning strike before but that mode is a blast. I hope it comes up a lot.

Akai__

Two controllers. I've tried multiple times to get boosting team going, but getting together 4 strangers is too difficult, I guess. They never get on when they say they will, and then the timing never ends up working out, and then they quit responding to messages.

I've got two controllers, and my friend has another two. So I need the second team filled in. Do you have 4 controllers?

Sadly, I don't. I was at my friends place last week and he rented 2 controllers so we could do the 4 Players on Bloodgulch one.

We still have 3 in total, so if you have an other friend, we could do this.

I would, but my Xbox died on me :

That sucks man. :(

"downloading matchmaking data" for 10 minutes

can't search for games, what the hell?

i had this yesterday! when i tried killing the game i was then told i needed xbox live to play multiplayer, even though i was on live AND in a party chat with friends... good stuff.

although at this point i hope the game is never fully fixed, it's just too amusing.

"downloading matchmaking data" for 10 minutes

can't search for games, what the hell?

This happens constantly to my friend now, and even when we're both in a party chat together, we can't see each other as online inside of MCC.

We have to send game invites to each other using the XB1 dashboard system instead of MCC.

We're 8 months past launch and this "game" is still so full of fuck-ups.

This happens constantly to my friend now, and even when we're both in a party chat together, we can't see each other as online inside of MCC.

We have to send game invites to each other using the XB1 dashboard system instead of MCC.

We're 8 months past launch and this "game" is still so full of fuck-ups.

Didnt they give this game to outside studios to do? They bit off more than they could chew, and now cant fix it. What a disaster this game. Im really really skeptical about Halo5 now tbh. Im losing all faith in these guys.

Didnt they give this game to outside studios to do? They bit off more than they could chew, and now cant fix it. What a disaster this game. Im really really skeptical about Halo5 now tbh. Im losing all faith in these guys.

IDK if that was ever confirmed or not, but the speculation is that 343i basically gave portions of the game out to 3rd party devs to put together.

Most people are pissed off because 343i came out and said each game will play just like you remember it. Well...they don't.

I STILL WANT MY H2 EMBLEMS (unless they finally added it, I've only played H1 the last few times I played MCC)

IDK if that was ever confirmed or not, but the speculation is that 343i basically gave portions of the game out to 3rd party devs to put together.

Most people are pissed off because 343i came out and said each game will play just like you remember it. Well...they don't.

I STILL WANT MY H2 EMBLEMS (unless they finally added it, I've only played H1 the last few times I played MCC)
They should just do call signs for H2C like they for halo 2A/3/4

It's not speculation, it's fact. Certain Affinity developed the H2A multiplayer; Ruffian Games developed the ports of H3, H4, and ODST; Sabre Interactive developed the H2A campaign, the HCEA port, and the classic multiplayer ports for CE and H2; and United Front developed the unified interface.

As a newcomer to the series the options for MP are really overwhelming

I tried playing a bit a little while ago and had no idea what I was doing or which playlists to try

I do appreciate the amount of options though. It's just intimidating coming in here and not really understanding anything people are talking about :(

The most popular classic playlists are probably these two. They are considered the main Halo multiplayer experience:

Big Team Battle - Large team matches. Lots of players (16), larger maps. Can be a variety of gametypes. Good one to start in because you can lag behind a bit and not bring the team down since there are a lot of people.

Team Slayer - The typical 'kill the other team' game mode. Only team-kill gametypes. Half the size (8) of Big Team, takes place on smaller maps. More focused.

The playlists that specify only a game (like Halo 4) are typically a mix of all gametypes and usually have 8 players. SWAT is a mode where you have no shields and everyone dies easily. Snipers is what it sounds like. Doubles is 2v2 only. Rumble-pit is a free for all mode, no teams. Action Sack is the silly mode with crazy abnormal gametypes for fun.

Edit: Oh here is 343's recent ranking of most popular playlists, so you know where the people are flocking to:

1 Big Team Battle
2 Team Slayer
3 Halo 4
4 Team SWAT
5 Team Snipers
6 Halo 3
7 Team Doubles
8 Halo 2: Anniversary
9 Halo 2 Classic
10 Halo: CE
11 HCS
12 Rumble Pit
13 Team Hardcore
Doesnt include action sack since that was added recently.

Explanations of the main gametypes:
Slayer - Your goal is to kill other people. Team Slayer of course means kill the other team only.

Capture the Flag - Team game. Get into the enemy home base, take their flag, take it home to your own base to score.

King of the Hill - There is a marked zone that everyone fights for control of. You get points by spending time in this zone. The zone moves from time to time. Can be team or free for all.

Oddball - There is a skull (the ball) on the map. If you grab it you (or your team) get points for how long you hold on to it. You're marked on the map as long as it's in your hands, so theyre coming for you. Can be team or free for all.

Infected - The zombie mode. One team has enhanced speed but is limited to melee only weapons. The other team has guns and tries to stay alive. If you get killed you join the zombie team.

Assault - It's like reverse Capture the Flag. You have a bomb in your base, you need to take it to the enemy base to plant it. It takes some time to blow and in that time the enemy can disarm it if you give them the chance. Has a few variations. Both teams have bombs, teams take turns planting bombs, or teams fight over one bomb in the center.

There are a couple more gametypes and also there are variations of all gametypes. Typically people separate them into two groups, Slayer (kill people) vs Objective (you have a goal besides killing people). I'm an Objective kinda guy but a lot of people prefer Slayer.

They should just do call signs for H2C like they for halo 2A/3/4

I'll take anything...just give me SOMETHING so I can fucking give teammates my locations/see who needs help.

It's not speculation, it's fact. Certain Affinity developed the H2A multiplayer; Ruffian Games developed the ports of H3, H4, and ODST; Sabre Interactive developed the H2A campaign, the HCEA port, and the classic multiplayer ports for CE and H2; and United Front developed the unified interface.

I know Certain Affinity did the H2:A MP, but couldn't remember who else worked on it. Speculation was a bad word on my part, I was mostly just too lazy to look all the studios up.

Day 7 in a row of me getting the same "downloading latest matchmaking data" message. I have hard reset my console the last 4 days in a row to no avail. Not sure what to do now… Should I delete and reinstall? Will that lose all my progress and data.

This sucks, at least the old issues let you at least play the game, however buggy it may be.

Fuchsdh

Day 7 in a row of me getting the same "downloading latest matchmaking data" message. I have hard reset my console the last 4 days in a row to no avail. Not sure what to do now… Should I delete and reinstall? Will that lose all my progress and data.

This sucks, at least the old issues let you at least play the game, however buggy it may be.

Xbox 1 uses cloud saves, and unlike Sony's network it doesn't delete game saves when you delete apps. So trying a reinstall is an option.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Halo MCC log, day 262. Started by queuing up for some Team Slayer, where I played a couple matches against vastly inferior teams full of guests. On the plus side, split screen does still seem pretty popular in Halo. Played some CE TS, where most of the opposing team left after a minute. I tried to leave, and god stuck on a darkened out screen.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FnordMouse08/video/5834160

Then played some Big Team Battle. Voting options were H2A BRs, Halo 3 Team Slayer (which knowing MCC I can only assume is AR starts) and then for some insane reason Big Team Regicide on Complex. Of course that gets voted in and I proceed to spend 10 minutes as the king...where I have the most points, and my job is to...hide from the opposing team as best as I can, on the smallest BTB map in the game.

Then I tried to queue up again hoping for anything better, and get stuck with 15/16 searching...

I swap back to team slayer and found a match...but only the player names appearing in the lobby, the voting options weren't there.

It's incredible that it's been 2/3rds of a year and it's still in this state. It's not even the bugs that are amazing but just overall how MCC lacks robustness. Very few of the errors seem to be recoverable without a full restart of the X1 and most come from matchmaking/lobby/loading errors, which in theory shouldn't be that difficult to get working.

I hope everyone here is really looking forward to Halo 5 :/

I wonder what they're going to do for 5 since Kelly is the fastest. Anyways Gamescom is pretty damn close and I wonder how much info we're going to get next week. I've watched the vidoc about 5 times now just listening to the music a lot.

Speed runs in Halo 5 are going to consist of stringing together sprint and ground pounds to get across the map faster, will be pretty interesting to see how it plays out.

Speed runs in Halo 5 are going to consist of stringing together sprint and ground pounds to get across the map faster, will be pretty interesting to see how it plays out.
Yup, it'll be exciting to see. So many interesting parts to Halo 5, from the gameplay elements to new features like Spectator Mode.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
when it comes to the MCC you can make any combination of "working" and "?" and assume the answer is no

Top Bottom