• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

willow ve

So I load the game up for the first time in months. Search for a matchmaking game... while it's searching I hit the menu button to check out my Options & Career. Game says "you can't do this while matchmaking" and freezes on that menu. No button combination does anything.

Is this a known glitch?

The idea of leading your shots is just alien to most people, and I don't see it ever working that well in a world where you have auto aim or a reticle that turns red. Add in the unpredictability of network conditions and it's just a far more frustrating experience for many players.

Halo 3 is IMO the worst game in the collection when it comes to weapon feedback in general, either firing your gun or being on the receiving end.

I just feel like the BR is completely unreliable in H3. As a newbie, i have caught people offguard with it, shot them up, and somehow still lost the duel with the person who also has the BR. I'm not quite understanding what they did that I didn't do.

I guess ill learn the difference with experience.

Vade

So I load the game up for the first time in months. Search for a matchmaking game... while it's searching I hit the menu button to check out my Options & Career. Game says "you can't do this while matchmaking" and freezes on that menu. No button combination does anything.

Is this a known glitch?

Actually playing the MCC is a known glitch

IronWarrior

Neo Member
The idea of leading your shots is just alien to most people, and I don't see it ever working that well in a world where you have auto aim or a reticle that turns red. Add in the unpredictability of network conditions and it's just a far more frustrating experience for many players.

Halo 3 is IMO the worst game in the collection when it comes to weapon feedback in general, either firing your gun or being on the receiving end.

This was mostly exactly my opinion when I started playing Halo 3. The AR sounds like a popcorn machine and the BR like a snare drum. I warmed up to it a ton when I figured out how to play it properly, and that the map pickups are actually useful (Plasma rifle and SMG can beat the BR most of the time if you're smart).

I also think equipment is really fun and makes for fun moments.

It's probably that Halo 3 is most like the Halo game I want, where the sandbox is varied and useful and the precision weapons can't destroy you from 600 yards. Anybody who claims Halo 3 is perfect is bonkers though. Reach maybe could have been the perfect Halo game with some tweaks, the weapon sandbox by far my favourite. Dolphin gun and the grenade launcher were the best weapons Bungie ever added after CE.

daedalius

wrong. BR in H3 is more realistic. You have to lead shots like you would IRL and every single bullet doesn't always hit perfectly. Hitscan is easy mode.

Oh boy, I want halo to be realistic for sure

Just look how realistic it already is!

(Pretty sure the velocity is anything but realistic, lol. It is pathetically slow for bullet travel)

It's still garbo

Oh boy, I want halo to be realistic for sure

Just look how realistic it already is!

(Pretty sure the velocity is anything but realistic, lol. It is pathetically slow for bullet travel)

It's still garbo

Having to lead shots at any range closer than like 50 feet is stupid. H3 you have to lead shots even at near point blank range. It's just a terrible implementation and *less real* than real life (and we're not cybernetically enhanced supersoldiers with the guns tied to our HUD and neural impulses). Plus, people at 100's of feet away you only have to lead the shots a few extra pixels compared to close/medium range? C'mon. Wish people would stop defending that shitty gun and the shitty netcode it was forced upon.

Ghazi

WE DEDIS NOW B O Y S

PKjD6GB.gif

Having to lead shots at any range closer than like 50 feet is stupid. H3 you have to lead shots even at near point blank range. It's just a terrible implementation and *less real* than real life (and we're not cybernetically enhanced supersoldiers with the guns tied to our HUD and neural impulses). Plus, people at 100's of feet away you only have to lead the shots a few extra pixels compared to close/medium range? C'mon. Wish people would stop defending that shitty gun and the shitty netcode it was forced upon.

This is an incredible over exaggeration. You can jump on YouTube right now and watch gameplay videos that show close range br battles that played out fine and I don't remember needing to lead at point blank range

Don't get me wrong - I know at certain ranges the gun became a crap shoot but mid to close range br battles where fine

That said halo 3 net code was far from brilliant

Akai__

I won't though. Halo 3 is the most fun I've ever had in Campaign and MP. The netcode sure sucked, but playing MLG with "Good Connection" settings was not nearly as bad as people claim these days.

Having to lead your shots required a little more aiming skill and you had to predict where the enemy will go. It was (and still is) a good mechanic, in my eyes. I'd take bullet travel over hitscan any day. Especially since developers seem to think that a huge amount of bullet magentism and aim assist is required for a good game. Gotta make sure the casuals will play the game for more than a week. Luckily, it seems like they toned it down for Halo 5, but we'll see that if the game comes out.

Halo 3 is also really good on dedicated servers, but it's a shame that dedicated servers still don't work properly to this date. It's quite ridiculous, that they stealth added Halo 3 to Teal Hardcore and removed it again within minutes. We are also waiting for a patch, since 31st May now.

Having to lead your shots required a little more aiming skill and you had to predict where the enemy will go. It was (and still is) a good mechanic, in my eyes. I'd take bullet travel over hitscan any day. Especially since developers seem to think that a huge amount of bullet magentism and aim assist is required for a good game. Gotta make sure the casuals will play the game for more than a week. Luckily, it seems like they toned it down for Halo 5, but we'll see that if the game comes out.

The halo 4 auto win sniper was just disappointing I remember sage went out of his way to make the sniper 'idiot proof' in reach and sniping in halo hasnt been satisfying since

Akai__

The halo 4 auto win sniper was just disappointing I remember sage went out of his way to make the sniper 'idiot proof' in reach and sniping in halo hasnt been satisfying since

"Idiot proof" hits the nail on the head. I was pretty bad in higher level sniping in Halo 3. Got promoted to Sniper Pro since Halo Reach. Weapons should still take skill to use, especially Snipers. Kinda defeats the point, if everybody can do it.

I won't though. Halo 3 is the most fun I've ever had in Campaign and MP. The netcode sure sucked, but playing MLG with "Good Connection" settings was not nearly as bad as people claim these days.

Halo 3 is also really good on dedicated servers, but it's a shame that dedicated servers still don't work properly to this date. It's quite ridiculous, that they stealth added Halo 3 to Teal Hardcore and removed it again within minutes. We are also waiting for a patch, since 31st May now.
Unlike all the Hitscan crap games after H3. The H3 BR is balanced with its spread. Competitive kids are always screaming for a fair game and skill, but they are ok with a op pistol and hitscan everywhere.

Yes you cant pick gamertags across the map. But isnt that good?

Dont remember Halo 4 or Reach with its annoying DMR? Yeah that was fun running around on bloodgulch or valhalla.

Hitscan is the worst thing ever happened to Halo.

Unlike all the Hitscan crap that game after H3. The H3 BR is balanced with its spread. Competitive kids are always screaming for a fair game and skill, but they are ok with a op pistol and hitscan everywhere.

Dont remember Halo 4 or Reach with its annoying DMR? Yeah that was fun running around on bloodgulch or valhalla.

That pistol isn't op.

So, my first time campaign run continues and I have now finished Halo 3.

In terms of enjoyment I would rank the original trilogy (this is for a first time player) as:

Halo 2=Halo3>>>Halo CE

They're all good though. I may even go on and play ODST next... I NEED to finish the series before 5.

Edit: One thing I should complain about is the checkpoint system. The last mission of Halo 3 when you're fighting the flood up the hill is a f****** joke. I did the whole section to the last bit and had to do it all over again.. second time the checkpoints worked. It seems to be a common thing for checkpoints to just not register.. is it a MCC thing or a Halo thing?

I'm currently doing the same. Only played CE and 3 and they were both marathon sessions to beat them in a night when I was with a friend who had a 360.

CE wasn't that great to me honestly. It had some truly horrendous levels, and vehicles were an absolute joke. Great story though.

Halo 2 I enjoyed way more than CE. Enjoyed the story more, I liked the changing perspective between Arbiter and Master Chief, and the Blur cinematics for H2A were god tier.

Started Halo 3 last night, and I do have fond memories still of the game, and so far those haven't changed. Will go to 4 after this (only played a little bit of it and wasn't a fan) and then ODST last. My one complaint across all the games though is how all enemies feel like bullet sponges. I'm not great at the game by any means, but still.

Fuchsdh

I'm currently doing the same. Only played CE and 3 and they were both marathon sessions to beat them in a night when I was with a friend who had a 360.

CE wasn't that great to me honestly. It had some truly horrendous levels, and vehicles were an absolute joke. Great story though.

Halo 2 I enjoyed way more than CE. Enjoyed the story more, I liked the changing perspective between Arbiter and Master Chief, and the Blur cinematics for H2A were god tier.

Started Halo 3 last night, and I do have fond memories still of the game, and so far those haven't changed. Will go to 4 after this (only played a little bit of it and wasn't a fan) and then ODST last. My one complaint across all the games though is how all enemies feel like bullet sponges. I'm not great at the game by any means, but still.

What difficulty are you playing on? Because that's certainly a complaint I have with most of the games on Legendary, but with Heroic and Legendary you also have to change up your tactics and if you don't it'll feel far worse.

What difficulty are you playing on? Because that's certainly a complaint I have with most of the games on Legendary, but with Heroic and Legendary you also have to change up your tactics and if you don't it'll feel far worse.

I'm playing on Normal first time through. It isn't hard, just a bit annoying. I also kinda get annoyed with the lack of enemy variety in game, but in a way it makes sense. Still some of the best FPS single player content I've played, but still.

Halo 3 and those who defend it are arguably the worst things to happen to this franchise. It's a damn tragedy, really.

daedalius

Unlike all the Hitscan crap games after H3. The H3 BR is balanced with its spread. Competitive kids are always screaming for a fair game and skill, but they are ok with a op pistol and hitscan everywhere.

Today I learned, having your shots go where you want them is the worst thing that's ever happened to Halo.

Halo 2's still worse, I think.

At least H2 pistol can be fired fast and has good feedback. H3 pistol feels like shit and shoots like it too. It's one of the most underwhelming weapons in any game. However, they made up for it with the ODST pistol, that is goat. H1 and ODST are by far my favorite pistols. H5 also seems to be on point to have a great sidearm.

I'm still salty that they haven't done or said anything about the quitting in the pregaming lobby that forces the matchmaking to restart. It always happens when you finally get that one map/gametype that you see only once in a 1000 full moons

At least H2 pistol can be fired fast and has good feedback. H3 pistol feels like shit and shoots like it too. It's one of the most underwhelming weapons in any game. However, they made up for it with the ODST pistol, that is goat. H1 and ODST are by far my favorite pistols. H5 also seems to be on point to have a great sidearm.

The H5 ones rate of fire still feels a bit slow from the videos. It needs a bit more speed.

RSB

Banned
The difference between Halo 3 fans and Halo CE fans is, that we are not nearly as elitist as CE fans. Learn to accept opinions.
Both are amazing in my book, especially the campaigns (easily the best in the franchise, and some of the best in the genre)

Akai__

Both are amazing in my book, especially the campaigns (easily the best in the franchise, and some of the best in the genre)

I think Funknowns brain just exploded. How can you possibly like CE AND Halo 3 at the same time? You are a damn tragedy... Well... according to Funknown.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Halo 3 and those who defend it are arguably the worst things to happen to this franchise. It's a damn tragedy, really.

Was CE a lot better on LAN and xbconnect? In MCC I feel that I'm missing shots I should be hitting and sometimes getting lucky crossmap 3shots by spamming the trigger.

The H5 ones rate of fire still feels a bit slow from the videos. It needs a bit more speed.

I think they need to change the animation or the sound. Right now it looks and feels like a fast firing pistol that has an unnatural delay between shots. Terrible as the H3 pistol is it felt "slow firing" in that the kick on the animation matched how fast you could pull the trigger.

shrek

Banned
So is H2A ever gonna get patched? The abysmal net code, frame rate, hit detection, and nuke-grenades?

I'd also like to see two BTB playlists to split up the Halo games. I wanna play Sandtrap, damn it!

JTripper

Anyone finished all campaigns on legendary? I still haven't on Xbox One. I'd love to do the 4-player campaigns on legendary before 5 releases.

This is an incredible over exaggeration. You can jump on YouTube right now and watch gameplay videos that show close range br battles that played out fine and I don't remember needing to lead at point blank range

It wasn't just leading your shots, the gun was inconsistent as fuck. I went to this "YouTube" you speak of and chose a BR heavy map at random.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjOkU9Dwhc&index=57&list=PLmuIgKiBe7bMb4hojDTVrJc4mhHzWEeA4
This is LAN play, so one would hope netcode wouldn't play as much of a factor. There are plenty of perfectly reasonable kills in that game. However, a couple stuck out to me. At 2:33, Naded aims to the left of a player moving at speed to the right, but the spread and randomness get him a hit, middle shot is aimed at player while moving and gets him a hit, last shot is aimed to the right of the player moving to the left and gets him the killshot.
Later, at ~4:30, Snipedown is shooting across the map, not leading shots, and shit is hitting and he gets the kill.

Kills like this just shouldn't happen if the BR worked as advertised. No matter how the gun functions on all the other kills, these are the ones that stick in my and other people's memories (for better or worse). This is the problem with the gun. Even on LAN, it's inconsistent. Either have people have to lead their shots or don't. XBC pistol (and I'm definitely not in the Funk H:CE fanclub) had to lead shots because of latency, and half the time it was more consistent just because of how the gun was designed. H3's netcode could still be bad and the gunplay would be better if it was consistent and well done. Earlier when I said leading shots at close range, I'd wager that had less to do with the actual bullet travel mechanic and more to do with the the BR's operational inconsistency. Hitscan / bullet travel doesn't matter when your gun is random/inconsistent as crap. I don't like Reach DMR either.

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather play a shooter based on consistent aim/gameplay instead of a RNG simulator with a shooter skin. I understand people like H3 the most and I still find it fun (mostly due to maps/gametypes and such), but this is just not what I think Halo should be, even in 2007.

That said halo 3 net code was far from brilliant

This didn't help matters whatsoever.

I won't though.

OK.

The H3 BR is absolute garbage.

OK

I'm only ever referring to the multiplayer suite in h3 when I talk about it, I'm quite fond of the campaign.

H3 Campaign is quality

1upmuffin

Got an Xbox One a few days ago, really enjoying MCC so far! I feel like no one picks Halo 1 maps in big team battle though, which is disappointing.

Got an Xbox One a few days ago, really enjoying MCC so far! I feel like no one picks Halo 1 maps in big team battle though, which is disappointing.

I enjoy Halo CE BTB, but honestly the maps are terribly balanced. On Danger Canyon for example it's really easy for one team to trap the other team inside and completely dominate the match.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

I don't know man, beside the nostalgia factor, I don't like anything about H1 MP. I prefer 3 & 4 the most.

for BTB H3 is always the go to option for me.

The difference between Halo 3 fans and Halo CE fans is, that we are not nearly as elitist as CE fans. Learn to accept opinions.
Ahh, the ol' elitist card lol. Not only is that false, but Halo 3 elitists are the people talking crap about Halo 5. What, you think CE "elitists" suddenly appear in droves to crap on ADS, sprint, etc.? CE diehard fans either left this franchise a long time ago or are content only playing CE in TMCC/LAN.

Think about it lol
Was CE a lot better on LAN and xbconnect? In MCC I feel that I'm missing shots I should be hitting and sometimes getting lucky crossmap 3shots by spamming the trigger.
If you press the trigger it's more accurate than if you hold it. I'm not sure if that's what the issue is, but it's also a projectile-based weapon, meaning bullets physically travel over distance so you have to slightly lead your shots ahead of the player. There is some spread to it, but it's pretty accurate if you learn how to lead your shots with the direction the enemy is moving and where you're strafing.

Top Bottom