• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 being 5v5 makes me question the intelligence of 343 employees.
I had an Oddball match in Halo 4 that was 4v4 today. I'm not sure if matchmaking only found eight players or if the game booted one person from each side once Oddball got voted. Either way: lol. I also had a "Player Joined" announcement in one of my games today, but MCC doesn't have join in progress, right?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Going from Halo CE to Halo 2... I immediately notice the resolution difference. Why didn't they prioritize 1080p60 :( Still, the cutscenes look great.

Fuchsdh

Going from Halo CE to Halo 2... I immediately notice the resolution difference. Why didn't they prioritize 1080p60 :( Still, the cutscenes look great.

Well... they did. We just didn't get the "1920" horizontal width :p

Looking at Halo 5, though, I have a feeling the sort of anamorphic and dynamic resolution tricks are going to be more commonly employed across Xbox and ultimately console games going forward.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta admit: I didn't even notice that Halo 4 MCC was 5v5 until like a month ago.

RowdyReverb

It's fun to beat Halo 3 and go straight into Halo 4 since it follows so directly. Also, I can hardly believe both of those games existed on the same console. H4 looks straight up next gen after playing through H3.

1upmuffin

Does nobody play the Halo 4 playlist or is my connection just a bit wonky? It's taking forever to find any matches.

EDIT: I think it's just my connection or the servers today because I can't find a match in BTB either.

EDIT2: Realized this is just a regular error, did the hard reset, now it works fine.

It's fun to beat Halo 3 and go straight into Halo 4 since it follows so directly. Also, I can hardly believe both of those games existed on the same console. H4 looks straight up next gen after playing through H3.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Halo 3 is still my fave FPS campaign though. Love everything about it.

Question for H4: is MC wearing new armor or did they just redesign his H3 armor? If it's new how the hell does that work since he was in stasis for 4 years. H4 at the beginning already seems a tad messy.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Halo 3 is still my fave FPS campaign though. Love everything about it.

Question for H4: is MC wearing new armor or did they just redesign his H3 armor? If it's new how the hell does that work since he was in stasis for 4 years. H4 at the beginning already seems a tad messy.
Nanomachines.

Retcon. Joke answer is nanomachines, but real talk: it's a retcon, and that's okay. Much prefer the H4 look.

Retcon. Joke answer is nanomachines, but real talk: it's a retcon, and that's okay. Much prefer the H4 look.

Why the retcon though? Makes no sense. Don't like the look as much either. Isn't as sleek. It's just weird that as a direct continuation of H3 he wakes up in a different suit.

Why the retcon though? Makes no sense. Don't like the look as much either. Isn't as sleek. It's just weird that as a direct continuation of H3 he wakes up in a different suit.

I like the Halo 4 version better, but I wish he had gotten the armor when he meets up with the Infinity, it could have been Mk. VII.

Mk. V is still the GOAT.

HTupolev

Why the retcon though? Makes no sense.
It's because Halo 4 has a completely different art style. And because for story reasons they wanted the Chief to tend toward the "fighter jet tank" style a la CE, versus the more "human" appearance he had in 2 and 3.

Mk. V is still the GOAT.
Yeah, though it doesn't seem to port well to the newer character styles. It always winds up looking bubbly, stretched, or some other manner of odd.

Chitown B

2007 > 2012. That's a lot of coding upgrades. Look at launch 360 games in 2005 vs. 2010 games.

Thinking of picking up an Xbox One just to play Halo MCC and Halo 5. I'm assuming most of the issues involving the MCC have been fixed at this point? Did ODST ever come out?

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Yeah, though it doesn't seem to port well to the newer character styles. It always winds up looking bubbly, stretched, or some other manner of odd.

We didn't get a MK V in Halo 4 did we? I wonder if we'll get one in 5...it would be cool to see it with newer graphics.

EDIT: Nvm apparently we did. "Odd" is the easiest way to sum up this.

H4_Mark_V_Armor.png

I'm guessing the Master Chief Saga Playlist progress reset is a known glitch? Got to Armory in Halo 2, saved and quit, and now it's got me back at the Halo mission in 1.

Fuchsdh

We didn't get a MK V in Halo 4 did we? I wonder if we'll get one in 5...it would be cool to see it with newer graphics.

EDIT: Nvm apparently we did. "Odd" is the easiest way to sum up this.

It looks better in-game then the renders, but the chest piece does seems slightly too small. Too bad we didn't get the DLC armor—I used Mk V and the Forerunner-inspired one that came with it for the chest.

I'm guessing the Master Chief Saga Playlist progress reset is a known glitch? Got to Armory in Halo 2, saved and quit, and now it's got me back at the Halo mission in 1.

It happens, yeah, seem primarily focused on resuming saved missions, and Halo 2A.

So I just finished H4. It's a fine game from gameplay standpoints and graphics, but goddamn does it seem like an almost bad Halo game. Handling of Cortana at the end was lame, the final QTE was hilariously awful, the story really kinda faltered in my opinion, nothing memorable at all.

I dunno. After H3 this just felt really not good.

Akai__

*Waits for Henery's impression on Team Hardcore*

So I just finished H4. It's a fine game from gameplay standpoints and graphics, but goddamn does it seem like an almost bad Halo game. Handling of Cortana at the end was lame, the final QTE was hilariously awful, the story really kinda faltered in my opinion, nothing memorable at all.

Did you die on the last QTE? Curious to know this, because there is an error in the QTE.

Chitown B

it's because Promethean enemies have no personalities and are not fun to fight. They're just a neon Tron-like shooting gallery.

Sure like Halo 3 over 4 as opinion but to say nothing memorable happened does sit well with me. How about these moments:

• Requiem, a Forerunner shield world in game for the first time
  • Chief being woken up by Cortana, nice throwback to the start of CE
  • Composer melting scientist face, also showing Chief failing
  • John not following orders against Del Rio by keeping Cortana's AI chip
  • Didact's voiceover work was awesome, especially the epilogue
  • Cortana died
  • Librarian showed up
  • If you include SPOPS then Halsey met Librarian (Janus Key)
  • Spartan IV Thorne was pretty cool
  • Halsey got shot and lost an arm

If you include the terminals and/or books around the Halo 4 events the story has many memorable parts IMO.

Sure like Halo 3 over 4 as opinion but to say nothing memorable happened does sit well with me. How about these moments:

• Requiem, a Forerunner shield world in game for the first time
  • Chief being woken up by Cortana, nice throwback to the start of CE
  • Composer melting scientist face, also showing Chief failing
  • John not following orders against Del Rio by keeping Cortana's AI chip
  • Didact's voiceover work was awesome, especially the epilogue
  • Cortana died
  • Librarian showed up
  • If you include SPOPS then Halsey met Librarian (Janus Key)
  • Spartan IV Thorne was pretty cool
  • Halsey got shot and lost an arm

If you include the terminals and/or books around the Halo 4 events the story has many memorable parts IMO.

And none of it had any weight. CE had the Flood being released and set in motion the entire trilogy. H4 seems so self contained and so short sighted story wise it doesn't make sense. The villain was unbelievably lame, I honestly didn't even know he was going to Earth until the end of the game when you see Earth. I mean a lot of the stuff you're saying is memorable was just cool shit that just happened, but didn't really matter.

Like CE had the discovery of the ring, the plot twist of what it does, Flood release. All great. H2 had the discovery of another ring, a better insight into the Covenant, and a cool cliffhanger that works well since I didn't have to weight three years. H3 just had a solid story of saving Earth, finding the Arc, and saving Cortana.

What did H4 have? I mean the mission was supposed to be saving Cortana and that just didn't happen. The villain kinda died liked a bitch, and honestly doesn't really set up a sequel well. The Prometheans were lame enemies with cool designs, and the stakes just didn't seem high. Plus making Chief Space Jesus was lame.

I dunno. The gameplay was find, even if it felt more like a modern FPS and less like Halo. But the story just didn't catch me at all.

Lingitiz

And none of it had any weight. CE had the Flood being released and set in motion the entire trilogy. H4 seems so self contained and so short sighted story wise it doesn't make sense. The villain was unbelievably lame, I honestly didn't even know he was going to Earth until the end of the game when you see Earth. I mean a lot of the stuff you're saying is memorable was just cool shit that just happened, but didn't really matter.

Like CE had the discovery of the ring, the plot twist of what it does, Flood release. All great. H2 had the discovery of another ring, a better insight into the Covenant, and a cool cliffhanger that works well since I didn't have to weight three years. H3 just had a solid story of saving Earth, finding the Arc, and saving Cortana.

What did H4 have? I mean the mission was supposed to be saving Cortana and that just didn't happen. The villain kinda died liked a bitch, and honestly doesn't really set up a sequel well. The Prometheans were lame enemies with cool designs, and the stakes just didn't seem high. Plus making Chief Space Jesus was lame.

I dunno. The gameplay was find, even if it felt more like a modern FPS and less like Halo. But the story just didn't catch me at all.

Honestly, the biggest problem with Halo 4's campaign is that it doesn't really have any personality. Halo 2 had the dual protagonists and 3 had the large scale encounters. Halo 4's production values, art, acting, all best in the series, but ultimately the scenario design is straightforward and checking off all the boxes of what makes a Halo game. I wouldn't call it bad at all though. I'd probably put it slightly over Reach's campaign. Story wise I enjoyed getting seeing a Forerunner shield world and seeing a different side of the universe. Part of me thinks 343 got stuck with a setting they didn't necessarily want, so they kind of reset things but linking Chief back up with humanity. Now they have a better start.

Halo 5 is addressing this though which makes me really hopeful. 4 player squads and 2 distinct teams is a cool direction for the franchise.

Akai__

Honestly, the biggest problem with Halo 4's campaign is that it doesn't really have any personality. Halo 2 had the dual protagonists and 3 had the large scale encounters. Halo 4's production values, art, acting, all best in the series, but ultimately the scenario design is straightforward and checking off all the boxes of what makes a Halo game. I wouldn't call it bad at all though. I'd probably put it slightly over Reach's campaign. Story wise I enjoyed getting seeing a Forerunner shield world and seeing a different side of the universe. Part of me thinks 343 got stuck with a setting they didn't necessarily want, so they kind of reset things but linking Chief back up with humanity. Now they have a better start.

Halo 5 is addressing this though which makes me really hopeful. 4 player squads and 2 distinct teams is a cool direction for the franchise.

I feel like playing the entire series in a week wasn't the best idea. Nothing was jarring from CE-3, but H4 was just such a change after three games, I wasn't sure what to think, except that it didn't feel right. The game played extremely well, even if I didn't realize there was a sprint until halfway through or why I needed armor abilities (I didn't), but it was fun to play, just not fun to think about or understand. I'm still kind of excited to see what H5 brings to the table for the franchise, but I'm the slightest bit concerned. I don't do Halo multi so changes there don't matter to me.

Halo 4 felt like a soft reboot to the series for me: it scaled everything back and simplified most of pontificating and exposition (you can decide for yourself how successful or unsuccessful that went). I felt it was a smart way to go about the series to prevent getting franchise fatigue and puts 343 in a good position to build H5 into something special, but we'll see if it ultimately pays off or not.

jem0208

Halo 4 makes more sense if you think of it as the beginning of a new trilogy.

It sets up a new enemy in the form of the Forerunners and the Didact. It brings up questions about the Chief's mental state and
obviously kills Cortana
. These are all going to be heavily relied on in H5 and onwards.

Halo 4 makes more sense if you think of it as the beginning of a new trilogy.

It sets up a new enemy in the form of the Forerunners and the Didact. It brings up questions about the Chief's mental state and
obviously kills Cortana.
These are all going to be heavily relied on in H5 and onwards.

aww cmon, not all of us are caught up on the series : /

Akai__

Can I play Spartan Ops alone? Are all the episodes available in MCC?

The Missions are all there, but the videos for each Episode are not.

You can play alone, but expect to die a lot if you want to tackle it on Legendary. You have infinite respawns.

The Spartan Ops cutscenes were never in the game. They have always been streamed to your console, but they are not being streamed to the MCC. You have to watch them somwehere else.

youd think they'd at least link the videos to the halo channel, like they do with the terminals in Halo CE

RSB

Banned
The Missions are all there, but the videos for each Episode are not.
Isn't there an option in the SpOps menu where it says "watch episode" or something like that? It probably opens the video in the Halo Channel, but I'm pretty sure it's there...

Akai__

Isn't there an option in the SpOps menu where it says "watch episode" or something like that? It probably opens the video in the Halo Channel, but I'm pretty sure it's there...

youd think they'd at least link the videos to the halo channel, like they do with the terminals in Halo CE

Was poorly worded. I meant you can't watch them in the MCC directly, but you can on Halo Channel.

Top Bottom