• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Nowise10

Been playing a lot of CE for my last achievement (getting Steaktaculars). I am not sure how anyone in their right mind could claim Halo:CE multiplayer is the best. Pretty much has the worst elements from all the games combined into one. Pistol is completely random. Power weapons and equipment spawn every 30 seconds. You will spawn looking at the enemy, or them looking at you atleast 15 times a match. You spawn with 4 grenades that are pretty much mini nukes. Melee is completely bonked. You have low shield and fall 8 feet onto a platform, you'll likely end up dying from fall damage.

Every match I am dying inside, and wish I could play a different Halo (I could, if MCC wasn't bugged and gave Steaktaculars in other games)...

..Halo 3 is perfect

jem0208

Been playing a lot of CE for my last achievement (getting Steaktaculars). I am not sure how anyone in their right mind could claim Halo:CE multiplayer is the best. Pretty much has the worst elements from all the games combined into one. Pistol is completely random. Power weapons and equipment spawn every 30 seconds. You will spawn looking at the enemy, or them looking at you atleast 15 times a match. You spawn with 4 grenades that are pretty much mini nukes. Melee is completely bonked. You have low shield and fall 8 feet onto a platform, you'll likely end up dying from fall damage.

Every match I am dying inside, and wish I could play a different Halo (I could, if MCC wasn't bugged and gave Steaktaculars in other games)...

Pistol is not random at all, assuming you're using it correctly, don't spam or hold the trigger and make sure you're leading the target.

Regular spawning of power weapons and equipment forces players to regularly cycle round the map and encourages map movement. A team which knows what they're doing will be timing everything.

The spawn system is kinda shit if you or your team mates don't know what they're doing, however if you understand it it's actually very good and adds massively to the skill gap. Spawn traps are common and you need to know how to make and break them. If you're playing a team who knows what they're doing you will be destroyed purely because of how much control you have over the spawn system.

Grenades are extremely useful for 'nading weapons and power ups to you and also for grenade jumping. Having lots of them is fairly necessary.

Don't know what you mean by broken melee.

Fall damage can be negated if you crouch just as you're landing.

Edit: I find it funny you complain about a "random" pistol then say H3 is perfect.

DrTeflon

After almost... 6 years I think I got back into halo this week. Got myself a Xbox one with TMCC and Forza Horizon 2. I only finished Halo 3... Didnt had a Xbox back then and My Xbox 360 died before I even got to play Halo Reach.

Played a bit of Halo CE yesterday (I finished like, one mission on PC) and I am enjoying quite a lot. I know I should've played them sooner, but still. Also tried MP and no big issues so far besides some long waiting times (1/2 min).

jg4xchamp

Are there any cats looking for some Halo 2Ann action later today? I want to play with a group of people willing to communicate a bit and all that good stuff. Ditto for Halo 2 classic, can do both playlists.

Nowise10

Pistol is not random at all, assuming you're using it correctly, don't spam or hold the trigger and make sure you're leading the target.

Regular spawning of power weapons and equipment forces players to regularly cycle round the map and encourages map movement. A team which knows what they're doing will be timing everything.

The spawn system is kinda shit if you or your team mates don't know what they're doing, however if you understand it it's actually very good and adds massively to the skill gap. Spawn traps are common and you need to know how to make and break them. If you're playing a team who knows what they're doing you will be destroyed purely because of how much control you have over the spawn system.

Grenades are extremely useful for 'nading weapons and power ups to you and also for grenade jumping. Having lots of them is fairly necessary.

Don't know what you mean by broken melee.

Fall damage can be negated if you crouch just as you're landing.

Edit: I find it funny you complain about a "random" pistol then say H3 is perfect.

1:I tend to spam my gun, along with most other people. I will try and not spam (though really not sure how that works to be honest.) But that still leads to if I don't spam, the user who does spam, will have the chance of beating me because of luck. Sounds like a similar scenario that was in Halo:Reach with bloom.

2: You could get the same exact effect, without having them spawn for 30 seconds. It is completely punishing to die the first death. Rockets shouldn't be the entire factor of a match. It is in CE (and frankly in MCC Halo 2). It's not fun doing it to the enemy team, nor is it when receiving. I've gotten 20 steak medals in the past 2 days doing it, and also have lost many games from receiving it. It's lame and not fun.

3: What? Its a good system when an enemy spawns looking at you, when you just killed him? When you spawn on your mate in the middle of a grenade fight, so you die in 2 seconds? Or when you throw a grenade at the enemy by you, and your teammate spawns on it, and you kill him? Or because you have a sniper, and can automatically pick them off 4+ times because they spawn in your scope? I know the game is a decade old, so I shouldn't expect much, but glorifying the trash that is CE's spawn system is something no one should do. It really doesn't take much skill to rocket one enemy, then rocket the other enemy, then wait 3 seconds, and rocket the first enemy because they spawned in the same place they died.

4: Would be even much more "skillful" if you only spawned with say, one grenade or two grenades. What it is now just leads to grenade spam that is also just annoying. Specially when the blast radios is so high. Two grenades spawn has always been the perfect balance in my views, in other Halos. It forces you to use them well.

5: It doesn't cause damage sometime, even if the meat smacking sound plays, and sometimes players can get the back smack, when hitting on the front.

6: This is usually true, yes.

Halo 3 has very nice spawning for the most part, great maps, great weapon balance, power weapons aren't the main factor of the matches, and my bullets go where I shoot no matter how fast I am pulling my trigger.

HTupolev

1:I tend to spam my gun, along with most other people. I will try and not spam (though really not sure how that works to be honest.) But that still leads to if I don't spam, the user who does spam, will have the chance of beating me because of luck. Sounds like a similar scenario that was in Halo:Reach with bloom.
Halo 1's bloom is based on trigger depression. When the trigger is depressed, bloom increases. When the trigger is released, bloom decreases.

If you feather the trigger (which is arguably what you should be doing anyway), you get no spread aside from the slight default spread and can still enjoy max-RoF. Really not like Reach at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7YI4jgcYs

and my bullets go where I shoot no matter how fast I am pulling my trigger.
They have a huge amount of spread no matter how slow you are pulling your trigger. The first shot of the BR's burst is very precise, but the latter two are wildly inaccurate. I like Halo 3's slow projectiles, but combining that with aggressive spread doesn't make much sense and contributes massively to the perception that the game isn't responsive.

Nowise10

Halo 1's bloom is based on trigger depression. When the trigger is depressed, bloom increases. When the trigger is released, bloom decreases.

If you feather the trigger (which is arguably what you should be doing anyway), you get no spread aside from the slight default spread and can still enjoy max-RoF. Really not like Reach at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7YI4jgcYs

They have a huge amount of spread no matter how slow you are pulling your trigger. The first shot of the BR's burst is very precise, but the latter two are wildly inaccurate. I like Halo 3's slow projectiles, but combining that with aggressive spread doesn't make much sense and contributes massively to the perception that the game isn't responsive.

If I am looking at that video correctly, that still gives plenty of scenarios a match, where you can "feather" and pace your shots, and still get killed because the other user would spam as fast as possible, and get lucky to land all the headshots.

Chitown B

If I am looking at that video correctly, that still gives plenty of scenarios a match, where you can "feather" and pace your shots, and still get killed because the other user would spam as fast as possible, and get lucky to land all the headshots.

headshots don't count any more than other shots until shields are down. Only one headshot in a fight counts, and that's the last one.

HTupolev

The third burst in the video was feathering at full-RoF, getting all of the speed of the trigger-held case and basically the same accuracy as the fourth (paced) burst. You don't need to compromise firing speed to maximize precision.

HBP

Went ahead and rebought this today, Walmart had it for $27 so I price matched to BB, hoping it works better than it did at launch when I got a refund :)

DJ Gunner

I too picked this up with the best buy deal and it worked for a few days but now I can't get into any matches, no matter what the playlist. I take it this is still an on again and off again issue? Several nights in a row trying the most popular playlists and it just searches forever.

For anyone experiencing non-working matchmaking, make sure you're hard-powering down the xbox every other day or so. The "instant-on" tends to cause all sorts of fun connectivity issues with the MCC.

As it should be but if you're not controlling rockets, sniper, camo, OS, you're in for a baaaad time.

Oh I know. Won a match on Damnation due to that.

But on something like Hang 'Em High? Maybe it's just the people I was playing against but in my experiences going for any of those was tantamount to suicide. Everyone knew where they were, everyone knew to watch those spots.

But I like games like that. Totally not a masochist that likes a challenge.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Oh I know. Won a match on Damnation due to that.

But on something like Hang 'Em High? Maybe it's just the people I was playing against but in my experiences going for any of those was tantamount to suicide. Everyone knew where they were, everyone knew to watch those spots.

But I like games like that. Totally not a masochist that likes a challenge.

Unless the other team is full of nubscrubs, in 4v4 it should be automatic death going for rockets, OS or sniper the normal way in Hang 'Em High.

Now, the smart way is to do it like this.

Toa TAK

Banned
Have has anyone been able to do the LASO playlist glitch on ODST like in the previous games, yet?

Bleh. I'd like to see if I can knock that achievement out of the way.

willow ve

..Halo 3 is perfect

As a through and through Halo 3 kid ... I have to disagree on this one. Halo 2A feels like the "best Halo" to me in the MCC. I never realized how random 4 shotting with the BR in Halo 3 was until you play it back to back with Halo 2 and Halo 2A (or even Halo 4).

I agree with your complaints about Halo CE. But I'm starting to realize Halo 3 wasn't the golden standard I've always thought of it as.

Can someone help me here? I'm playing Halo 4 and I like my controls inverted. I have set the game to inverted but the banshee controls are default. I have no idea what is going on.

Chitown B

As a through and through Halo 3 kid ... I have to disagree on this one. Halo 2A feels like the "best Halo" to me in the MCC. I never realized how random 4 shotting with the BR in Halo 3 was until you play it back to back with Halo 2 and Halo 2A (or even Halo 4).

I agree with your complaints about Halo CE. But I'm starting to realize Halo 3 wasn't the golden standard I've always thought of it as.

it's not that random. 4 body shots and drag it up to the head on the last shot. took skill

ShamePain

Banned
I find that H2A has the best net code out of the bunch, even with a relatively high ping I still manage to score kills more often than not, Halo 2 is the worst as I can shoot a guy right up close in the back then he turns around and one shots me. Halo 4 is pretty good too, Halo 1/3 is hit or miss.

willow ve

I find that H2A has the best net code out of the bunch, even with a relatively high ping I still manage to score kills more often than not, Halo 2 is the worst as I can shoot a guy right up close in the back then he turns around and one shots me. Halo 4 is pretty good too, Halo 1/3 is hit or miss.

It's a shame that the "dedicated servers" don't actually seem to do anything in roughly 20% of the matches I play. Some games (notably Halo 3 and Halo CE) it feels about as stable as the BF4 dedicated servers were at launch.

Karl2177

It's a shame that the "dedicated servers" don't actually seem to do anything in roughly 20% of the matches I play. Some games (notably Halo 3 and Halo CE) it feels about as stable as the BF4 dedicated servers were at launch.

That's because you more than likely aren't even getting dedicated servers. While Frank and co. say that "the vast majority of games are being played on dedicated servers", I've had way too many matches end because the host quit.

I've finished Halo's CE, 2, 3 and ODST and am waiting to borrow Reach from a friend. I might not have it for a bit, would I be OK playing 4 before Reach?

Nope. 4 is a fun campaign with some serious heart in the center of it, but here's hoping you delved into the books so you can understand the overall plot better.

EDIT: But still play Reach. I love Reach.

I haven't read the books:( I have played all of the other Halo's in a short space of time so I feel like I have a better understanding than playing them years after one another. I may have a look at the books though.

And I will play Reach. It is when, not if:) I wish they'd add it to the MCC:(

Toa TAK

Banned
I haven't read the books:( I have played all of the other Halo's in a short space of time so I feel like I have a better understanding than playing them years after one another. I may have a look at the books though.

And I will play Reach. It is when, not if:) I wish they'd add it to the MCC:(

The terminals in the game should help clear up the story a little more if you go around and find them all.

But as much as I would like Reach in MCC, I would think it's coming to the Backwards Compatibility program, so at least we'll have that. :D

The terminals in the game should help clear up the story a little more if you go around and find them all.

But as much as I would like Reach in MCC, I would think it's coming to the Backwards Compatibility program, so at least we'll have that. :D
I'll try and make sure I go to as many of them as possible then, thanks for the help!:)

And I'm 99% sure it is in the confirmed list.. not quite the same but not too bad!

TBiddy

Sooo... I've finally got my hands on an XB1 and have started on MCC. I've started from the beginning, so I'm driving around in that cave in Halo:CE in my trusty warthog.

That warthog, though..... It took me 3 minutes and I was ready to break the controller. That control scheme is horrible. Who thought that would be a good idea??!

Fuchsdh

Sooo... I've finally got my hands on an XB1 and have started on MCC. I've started from the beginning, so I'm driving around in that cave in Halo:CE in my trusty warthog.

That warthog, though..... It took me 3 minutes and I was ready to break the controller. That control scheme is horrible. Who thought that would be a good idea??!

The "oh I tapped my Marine with the Warthog at 2mph he dies instantly" collisions aside, the controls for vehicles in Halo: CE were among the best of its time. Let that sink in.

(I mean Half-Life 2 couldn't give us halfway-decent vehicle controls almost four years later.)

TBiddy

The "oh I tapped my Marine with the Warthog at 2mph he dies instantly" collisions aside, the controls for vehicles in Halo: CE were among the best of its time. Let that sink in.

(I mean Half-Life 2 couldn't give us halfway-decent vehicle controls almost four years later.)

I seem to remember the boat-thingie in HL2 was easier to drive than the Warthog, but that might just be my rose-tinted glasses :)

Seriously, I'm driving like a drunk 17-year old.. in the snow.. with worn-down tires. I haven't yet managed to actually drive properly.

How much of this Warthog-driving is there?

Toa TAK

Banned

Haha, I remember playing it for the first time and also having issues trying to figure out how to drive it.
Reach campaign was decent. MP sucks.

Sure, but I still have a lot of fun on it regarudless. Really hope TMCC gets around to putting an Infection Playlist one of these days.

I seem to remember the boat-thingie in HL2 was easier to drive than the Warthog, but that might just be my rose-tinted glasses :)

Seriously, I'm driving like a drunk 17-year old.. in the snow.. with worn-down tires. I haven't yet managed to actually drive properly.

How much of this Warthog-driving is there?

hahaha

you dont even know do you?

just think of the camera as the controls for the warthog: wherever you point the camera using the right stick, that's where the warthog wants to go. It make take a bit to get there but it'll get there.

Also, the vehicle controls get better throughout the series so stick with it.

TBiddy

hahaha

you dont even know do you?

just think of the camera as the controls for the warthog: wherever you point the camera using the right stick, that's where the warthog wants to go. It make take a bit to get there but it'll get there.

Also, the vehicle controls get better throughout the series so stick with it.

That was.... in no way comforting. Thanks!

I guess I'll just have to stick to it and get it overwith. It's just so different from every single game I've ever played. What were they thinking?

Toa TAK

Banned
You'll learn to get used to it. Halo is a vehicle heavy series, too. Wait until you try flying the Banshee in 3 different games.

HTupolev

just think of the camera as the controls for the warthog: wherever you point the camera using the right stick, that's where the warthog wants to go.
That's probably the worst way to think about it. Halo 1's warthog is all about managing angular momentum, and deliberately fishtailing. You basically want to embrace the fact that the rear wheels swing out hard in turns, and that lateral friction is low. Rather than trying to not whip about all crazy, try to whip about all crazy to accomplish turns and splatters. You'll start to love it after doing more 360s over cliffs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lol yeah, I remember the Warthog feeling really weird back in the day. It's second nature now though, of course.

While I had a tendency to flip the Hog a lot back in the day before learning the ropes, I'm pretty even then I thought the controls and physics were pretty great. To this day Halo is the only game ever, across any genre*, where I've enjoyed using vehicles. Nothing else compares. At best it's usually just serviceable (Borderlands), and in many games I absolutely dread vehicle missions.

*obviously I'm not counting racing games, though even many of them I don't enjoy as much as hauling ass in a Hog

Top Bottom