• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Croc

Banned
so I'm just finally jumping into this after that Best Buy deal the other day.

I'll just ask here since I don't want to search through a bunch of other threads for stuff, but are they planning on patching this game anymore to fix remaining issues? I didn't really keep up with what was originally wrong with the game but it's incredibly hard for me to find a match and even when playing co-op with a friend the lag is awful; so bad it even disconnected our session right at the end of a level once.

I quickly checked out that old locked thread of The Master Chief Collection is STILL Broken After 100 Days, and people at the end were saying it's fine now. But whatever I'm experiencing is definitely not fine lol

so I'm just finally jumping into this after that Best Buy deal the other day.

I'll just ask here since I don't want to search through a bunch of other threads for stuff, but are they planning on patching this game anymore to fix remaining issues? I didn't really keep up with what was originally wrong with the game but it's incredibly hard for me to find a match and even when playing co-op with a friend the lag is awful; so bad it even disconnected our session right at the end of a level once.

I quickly checked out that old locked thread of The Master Chief Collection is STILL Broken After 100 Days, and people at the end were saying it's fine now. But whatever I'm experiencing is definitely not fine lol

Last we heard there is another patch in the works, and they said they'll continue support post H5, but that's about it.

Problems finding a match are more likely to be due to low playlist populations at this point though, not technical issues (though there is the occasional hiccup with matchmaking). The problems absolutely destroyed the player population. Co-op lag is more of an inherent issue that probably can't/won't really be fixed.

Heh so just remembered I never actually played through halo 2 on the collection which is the one game that is remastered. Kind of just running through it on normal as I'm only there to check out the new visuals and cutscenes which are great.

I'm not sure how I feel about the added ambient music all over the place. 343 seem a bit ham fisted in adding tracks to iconic moments which I'm pretty sure where more subtle in the original?

Heh so just remembered I never actually played through halo 2 on the collection which is the one game that is remastered. Kind of just running through it on normal as I'm only there to check out the new visuals and cutscenes which are great.

I'm not sure how I feel about the added ambient music all over the place. 343 seem a bit ham fisted in adding tracks to iconic moments which I'm pretty sure where more subtle in the original?

Well, you can always tap the Back button (or whatever the hell MS is calling it) and find out. :p

Well, you can always tap the Back button (or whatever the hell MS is calling it) and find out. :p

I did I'm just not sure if the game is able to handle changing audio on the fly?

Every time I press back there is far less ambient music but I wonder if that's just because I haven't triggered the old music as I'm in new graphics mode

I did I'm just not sure if the game is able to handle changing audio on the fly?

Every time I press back there is far less ambient music but I wonder if that's just because I haven't triggered the old music as I'm in new graphics mode

It's kind of weird. It seems sometimes when I switch to classic the song is playing at the equivalent portion, while others the original track has to start from the beginning. If you regularly toggle I think it's more likely to be synched, but it doesn't seem to always be necessary either, as sometimes toggling for the very first time will yield a perfect sync, so I don't exactly know what's going on under the hood. For what it's worth, the same track itself has always been present in both versions when I've toggled from what I can tell/remember (outside of the two tracks that were replaced outright) so I don't think 343i changed/added any of the ambient tracks. Far from positive though.

I have noticed though that invariably the classic tracks seem to be a good be quieter. Sometimes so much so that I have turn up the volume to hear it clearly when the remastered audio was already at the proper level. I don't know if that's a carry over from the original though, or if they (or a bug) lowered the music levels for some reason.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Was poorly worded. I meant you can't watch them in the MCC directly, but you can on Halo Channel.

I think they did this to avoid extra install. It already is 70GB, would be close to 75, with those CGI videos. So they probably think streaming is a good option.

there's definitely less ambient audio in OG H2. H2A seems to either add or boost ambient sound in the game, as well as have its own remastered soundtrack.

They uh, do. Tap Y while in the Spartan Ops menu.

then there it is! Sorry, since i'm working my way through the series right now i hadn't gotten to halo 4 so i didn't know how it was handled. Just going off what the other poster was saying.

willow ve

How in the hell are SMG starts still a thing in Halo 2A? Seriously. As soon as one team gets a BR and / or Sniper the match is over. You have zero chance of defending or attacking.

How in the hell are SMG starts still a thing in Halo 2A? Seriously. As soon as one team gets a BR and / or Sniper the match is over. You have zero chance of defending or attacking.

I wonder the same thing about AR starts in halo 3

Played a bunch last night with some of my old group and we absolutely railed on people. I don't blame 343 for not enforcing party size matching but when the 4 of us had weapon control and br's and the other team were spawnig with AR's it was brutal and not even fun for us

I refuse to go in without a team because being stuck with an AR against decent players is a disaster - at least with a br I can put up a fight

The AR based gameplay is also so incredibly dull

there's definitely less ambient audio in OG H2. H2A seems to either add or boost ambient sound in the game, as well as have its own remastered soundtrack.

Ah interesting - I generally found it a little over the top so I hope it's not something 343 do as the status quo - the halo music is probably memorable as its used well rather than overused but in the case of h2a I can see it being just a cool extra to add

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool though cause they promote map movement. Move behind cover and hide and hope for the best.

Heh, AR starts
CQs7KFl.gif

Ah, well, after 206 achievements unlocking without any problems I finally encountered some that refuse to unlock. The ones for the Mythic and Sputnik skulls in Halo 2 that is.

I dunno if it glitched because a Flood killed me a second or so after I picked up the Mythic skull
that fucking bastard
, but the achievement refuses to unlock. Console hard reset, started the mission over, nothing. Even went after Sputnik in the next mission and nothing.

Which is weird because I got the Assassin skull a mere half hour beforehand and it unlocked right away.

EDIT: It doesn't say "Done! Unlocking..." either.

Fuchsdh

Ah, well, after 206 achievements unlocking without any problems I finally encountered some that refuse to unlock. The ones for the Mythic and Sputnik skulls in Halo 2 that is.

I dunno if it glitched because a Flood killed me a second or so after I picked up the Mythic skull
that fucking bastard
, but the achievement refuses to unlock. Console hard reset, started the mission over, nothing. Even went after Sputnik in the next mission and nothing.

Which is weird because I got the Assassin skull a mere half hour beforehand and it unlocked right away.

EDIT: It doesn't say "Done! Unlocking..." either.

Huh, you've got me stumped. I've actually been really happy overall with the XB1 achievements in general (although navigating them currently still is subpar) because I haven't had any achievements glitch on me yet like you describe, and at least you have the hope of the ...unlocking text as opposed to last gen.

How were you playing the mission? Starting from the beginning? A save? Playlist or through the menu?

I don't know what the popular opinion is, but halo 4 feels really good shooting in multi

The actual feel and speed of H4 is pretty phenomenal IMO.

I say it pretty much every time I play H4...they were REALLY close to making a really, really good Halo MP, but they fucked it up really bad in a couple of key spots that really hamper it.

Huh, you've got me stumped. I've actually been really happy overall with the XB1 achievements in general (although navigating them currently still is subpar) because I haven't had any achievements glitch on me yet like you describe, and at least you have the hope of the ...unlocking text as opposed to last gen.

How were you playing the mission? Starting from the beginning? A save? Playlist or through the menu?

Main Menu > Campaign > Halo 2 > Mission Select. Selected the mission (Sacred Icon in this case, then Quarantine Zone for the Sputnik skull) and went from there.

Sputnik and Scarab were on when I tried to get Mythic. I took all skulls off when I tried to get Sputnik since it was at the very beginning of the level anyway.

Fuchsdh

Main Menu > Campaign > Halo 2 > Mission Select. Selected the mission (Sacred Icon in this case, then Quarantine Zone for the Sputnik skull) and went from there.

Sputnik and Scarab were on when I tried to get Mythic. I took all skulls off when I tried to get Sputnik since it was at the very beginning of the level anyway.

Huh. I got nothing then. :|

I like how Halo 4 feels but i dont like the maps. Halo 3 always felt the strongest to me maps-wise: between the well remade H2 maps and the maps made for H3, there's pretty much no map in that game that I dont like.

Fuchsdh

Went to get the toy on Delta Halo just to see if the achievement would pop. Nothing.

Wondering if I need to reinstall the game. But if I uninstall it, will that mean I'll have to redownload the 20GB update when I reinstall?

Should download everything in one go if you reinstall.

Should download everything in one go if you reinstall.

I've got the disc version, that's why I was wondering.

Meh. If it does redownload the update that'll take 12 hours on my internet connection, not looking forward to that. So I think I'll just give waiting it out a try. Maybe it's something with the server and it'll unlock later
I hope

EDIT: After another reset they started working. ...that was interesting.

I like how Halo 4 feels but i dont like the maps. Halo 3 always felt the strongest to me maps-wise: between the well remade H2 maps and the maps made for H3, there's pretty much no map in that game that I dont like.

No maps you don't like? Citadel, Assembly, Isolation, Longshore, Orbital, Rat's Nest, Standoff are all pretty subpar/bad maps

There's a fair few you're missing there.

You also added Standoff and Rat's Nest. Not sure what you're smoking there.

Lack of hitscan makes Standoff a truly awful map.

Rat's Nest is maybe just subpar, not bad? I don't look forward to playing it ever though.

I will say that I'm a more competitive Halo player (or was rather) so I prefer more 4v4 arena style maps.

Madness

H4 maps felt like they were just made and then they tried to get the game play mechanics just working on top of them. That's why I'm excited for Halo 5, it seems this time they've really made each map built around the new mechanics, everything has a reason and function for the most part, trick jumps, trick clamber areas. Size and verticality are taken into account with things like unlimited sprint, thrust, ground and pound.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how much Halo 5 will just destroy the remaining MCC community. I haven't touched this game since probably March and that was just to see if the updates work. If Halo 5 works spectacularly, I can't see too many wanting to suffer with MCC much longer.

HTupolev

H4 maps felt like they were just made and then they tried to get the game play mechanics just working on top of them.
I got the opposite impression. Halo 4's "good" gunplay (i.e. hitscan and generous assist) causes long healthy lines of sight to lock down map movement, so they had to design everything as (often literal) piles of garbage and whatnot to make things flow. Maps that don't adhere to claustrophobic/messy design, like Ragnarok, are prone to degenerating into annoying cover-shooting galleries.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
On an unrelated note, I wonder how much Halo 5 will just destroy the remaining MCC community. I haven't touched this game since probably March and that was just to see if the updates work. If Halo 5 works spectacularly, I can't see too many wanting to suffer with MCC much longer.

Outside of Team Slayer and on occasion BTB the MCC community is basically dead for me. I'm not that on board with Halo 5 but I doubt I'll play MCC frequently again anytime soon regardless of whether I pick up H5 or not...on average in 10 games in TS you get about 2 that are lagfests, 3 that are AR/SMG starts, 4 that are unbalanced messes were everyone leaves or gets destroyed and 1 that is slightly competitive.

I got the opposite impression. Halo 4's "good" gunplay (i.e. hitscan and generous assist) causes long healthy lines of sight to lock down map movement, so they had to design everything as (often literal) piles of garbage and whatnot to make things flow. Maps that don't adhere to claustrophobic/messy design, like Ragnarok, are prone to degenerating into annoying cover-shooting galleries.

I agree with this. The precision weapons are so insanely powerful in H4 that virtually every long space becomes a death trap. Ragnarok was by far the worst offender, where the biggest challenge wasn't staying alive but trying to keep your DMR ammo up.

Nowise10

So we're nearing the end of August. Is their any new update information yet, or did they bury MCC into the ground? Going on 4 months with no new update.

I finished ODST earlier - my favourite so far. It really is excellent, even if the clue thing is initially confusing.

I didn't unlock quite a lot of achievements though:( Including the one for completing the campaign.

Akai__

So we're nearing the end of August. Is their any new update information yet, or did they bury MCC into the ground? Going on 4 months with no new update.

3 months and no real news about what they are actually working on. Post H5 release will surely be great...

I finished ODST earlier - my favourite so far. It really is excellent, even if the clue thing is initially confusing.

I didn't unlock quite a lot of achievements though:( Including the one for completing the campaign.

Achievements glitched with the last patch. My achievement for the 1st Audio Log in ODST (done on 2nd June) still says "Done! Unlocking..." and my Killjoy achievement just resetted itself from 86% down to 3%.

3 months and no real news about what they are actually working on. Post H5 release will surely be great...

Achievements glitched with the last patch. My achievement for the 1st Audio Log in ODST (done on 2nd June) still says "Done! Unlocking..." and my Killjoy achievement just resetted itself from 86% down to 3%.

And they still haven't fixed it? I'm getting most but I'm missing one or two for missions and all of the completion ones. Dammit:(

I have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th audio logs sitting like that since 23rd June. I think we'll be lucky to get one more patch as I can't seeing them supporting this when Halo 5 comes out.

Bumhead

Banned
Powered through the back half of Halo 3 last night.

I've played it before on the 360, but not since it came out.

A good game for sure, but I think Halo 2 is still my favourite in the series. I think I've seen quite enough of the Flood now. By the end of those last couple of missions in Halo 3, I was kind of glad to see the back of them.

After a flawless experience with MCC up to now, I had my first 2 issues last night. One was that upon exiting Halo 3, I had some sort of sign in error with the game, despite still being signed into my Live account. All the relevant achievements for finishing Halo 3 unlocked, but the main menu says I'm still 6/11 missions completed. Annoying, but nothing too major. Also tried to play some multi but it just wouldn't connect to anything on multiple attempts. Will try again later and hope for better.

Powered through the back half of Halo 3 last night.

I've played it before on the 360, but not since it came out.

A good game for sure, but I think Halo 2 is still my favourite in the series. I think I've seen quite enough of the Flood now. By the end of those last couple of missions in Halo 3, I was kind of glad to see the back of them.

After a flawless experience with MCC up to now, I had my first 2 issues last night. One was that upon exiting Halo 3, I had some sort of sign in error with the game, despite still being signed into my Live account. All the relevant achievements for finishing Halo 3 unlocked, but the main menu says I'm still 6/11 missions completed. Annoying, but nothing too major. Also tried to play some multi but it just wouldn't connect to anything on multiple attempts. Will try again later and hope for better.

I found that this can be fixed by going into the mission select in the main menu and then backing out. should update the mission completion after that

Man, returning back to MCC after taking a break this summer has been great! Let me know if anyone wants to play (really any gametype), my gamertag is Savinowned

jg4xchamp

I'll try this out in the CE playlist sometime. CE is fun but it hasn't fully gelled with me yet...but on occasion the map flow just works so well, like running circles in Rat Race shooting the powerups down in a cycle.

I say this a lot but Reach is the only game with bearable AR/Pistol starts since CE, and probably has the best weapon sandbox overall. Even with stupid bloom I never felt totally outmatched by the DMR on spawn. H2/3 I might as well be throwing popcorn at people with the BR. I like that in CE at least you spawn with two powerful weapons, and nearly every pickup on the map is equally powerful (though not as versatile).
I feel similar, if there was one benefit to Reach, it was that all the weapons (okay that's not true the assault rifle still sucked) felt useful and it was just all around more fun.

Halo 3 is pure br fest to me, and maybe someone will duck to get a Sniper or something like that. Reach I felt like all the weapons were viable and people went for them, even the needle rifle, ditto for Halo 2.

I honestly just don't like Halo 3 of the bunch....well not so much dislike either, I played a shit ton of it, but I thought that was the least fun of the good Halo multiplayer games (1-3/Reach), Halo 4 I do not care for.

Edit: Ugh man, during peak hours the amount 4 v 3s you get into, I got 3 straight, the fuck?

Blues1990

For those who are still playing Halo 4 on the Xbox 360, is anyone interested with doing a Legendary run? My gamertag is CommanderBrutus, and I'm trying to get some more friends on my friends list.

Najaf

I too picked this up with the best buy deal and it worked for a few days but now I can't get into any matches, no matter what the playlist. I take it this is still an on again and off again issue? Several nights in a row trying the most popular playlists and it just searches forever.

You can't unlock those achievements in custom games for Halo 1 and 2. Strangely though you can for the Halo 3 and 4 ones.

No, I definitely did the CE one in a custom game, I loaded up oddball and got it.

I too picked this up with the best buy deal and it worked for a few days but now I can't get into any matches, no matter what the playlist. I take it this is still an on again and off again issue? Several nights in a row trying the most popular playlists and it just searches forever.

I've played the game since launch and haven't ran into any problems since March.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I seem to be pretty lucky with what gets voted in H4 MCC. It's almost always Haven, Pitfall, Skyline, or Monolith -- I like all those maps a lot. I sometimes get Abandon (which is tolerable, but not great) and Adrift (a bunch of boring hallways = poop design).

Halo 4 could use more variety for sure though. I really wish they'd get the H4 Forge maps in MCC. Simplex and that one doubles map were really solid. Fuck I miss Simplex.

Top Bottom