• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

I finished Reach and thus have finished all mainline games (I haven't done Wars though).

What a great game, possibly my favourite. And I LOVED the ending. I'm now watching stuff around the series in preparation for 5.

Yeah, it felt worse.

No not really, it was really after COD (where people started to use red dots and all that) that Halo guns really started to feel bad and unprecise. But before that, it was just fine cause everyone was used to it. Mind you, the halo CE pistol wasnt this unprecise so im not really sure what happened with Halo3s guns.

Halo 3 online was much worse in 2007 than it is in TMCC. The CE Pistol is fine too, so perhaps it's connectivity issues you're having?

No not really, it was really after COD (where people started to use red dots and all that) that Halo guns really started to feel bad and unprecise. But before that, it was just fine cause everyone was used to it. Mind you, the halo CE pistol wasnt this unprecise so im not really sure what happened with Halo3s guns.

Totally missed the point.

Halo 3 online was much worse in 2007 than it is in TMCC. The CE Pistol is fine too, so perhaps it's connectivity issues you're having?

Exactly. Playing Halo 3 on 2007 internet was much worse than MCC, especially if you don't live on a coast or in an urban center, as was and continues to be my case.

Welfare

Am I terrible for dashboarding because I'm tired of everyone only voting for Halo 3 games in Team Slayer?

BTB is a terrible experience because everyone wants to vote for Avalanche or Rats Nest or Standoff or Rats Nest or Avalanche or...

I know I got good people when Halo 3 does not win.

BTB is a terrible experience because everyone wants to vote for Avalanche or Rats Nest or Standoff or Rats Nest or Avalanche or...

I stopped playing because of Halo3 appearing so much. I wish they would just put one map after the other and remove the voting for maps. We end up playing the same thing all the time. Thats what i like about BF4. Maps just appear one after the other. I prefer that by a long shot.

Welfare

I stopped playing because of Halo3 appearing so much. I wish they would just put one map after the other and remove the voting for maps. We end up playing the same thing all the time. Thats what i like about BF4. Maps just appear one after the other. I prefer that by a long shot.

That and have filters for games and maps. I don't want Halo 3, so let me filter it out and after every match, put me in a lobby for Halo CE, 2, 2A, or 4 maps. Voting doesn't work in a game like this.

But oh well, shit's out now and all we can do is think "what if?".

That and have filters for games and maps. I don't want Halo 3, so let me filter it out and after every match, put me in a lobby for Halo CE, 2, 2A, or 4 maps. Voting doesn't work in a game like this.

But oh well, shit's out now and all we can do is think "what if?".

Yeah its pointless. Even halo5, we'll end up playing on the same 3-4 maps all the time, like every other halo game.

Fuchsdh

There's never going to be any perfect system, especially when there are people who are of the mentality of "I will quit if I get a game of Halo n".

There's never going to be any perfect system, especially when there are people who are of the mentality of "I will quit if I get a game of Halo n".

I dont mind that as much since i can go into a Halo4 playlist worst comes to worst. But voting for the same maps over and over, that i have a problem with since theres no real solution to that other than me having to quit out the game.

Fuchsdh

I dont mind that as much since i can go into a Halo4 playlist worst comes to worst. But voting for the same maps over and over, that i have a problem with since theres no real solution to that other than me having to quit out the game.

True. As much as HaloGAF
RIP
like to metagame optimal playlists, there's certainly no magic fix. You could have generic TS for each game, but then that would suck people away from the existing TS. And what if you want objective? Ultimately a lot of stuff falls back to "Custom games browser" but outside of true customs (mini games, non matchmaking stuff) I don't see it ever being a good idea.

Halo's greatest strength is its massive variety of gameplay experiences (from KOTH to SWAT to Snipers to Grifball) but it makes it devilishly hard to get people into the games they want quickly, with parties, or with good skill matching.

MCC, as a collection of ports, also has the metagame issues of "do you play this because it's your favorite game or because it's the most functional?" You can certainly feel the evolution of the games' netcode alongside the game mechanics—CE has been consistently the most likely to have rubber banding and wacky lag issues for me, whereas it's been much smoother in the later games.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Was just playing Spartan ops, and realised how awful it is. Specially playing solo.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

The available options get smaller since I tend to avoid voting for CE as it seems you can't be kicked for betrayals, and in 8v8 BTB there's like a 100% chance at least one person on either team will ruin it for everyone. Saw someone go -11 a few minutes into a match yesterday :/

EDIT: Not the -11 one but well on their way.

Screenshot-Original.png

The guns truly are garbage.

Yup, when you're on though it feels truly rewarding. That's not to defend the gunplay in Halo 3, I'd rather have a consistent experience. The maps are the best mix of BTB+Arena in the series. 2 had the best arena maps, CE had the best BTB maps and 3 had a good mix of both, while not meeting the highs of either.

void666

Banned
Finished Halo CE. Really enjoyed the game. Must have been mind blowing back then.
BUT i hated the last mssion. Driving the warthog is a pain. Add enemies, lots of obstacles and a countdown and it's the perfect recipe for rage.

Fuchsdh

Finished Halo CE. Really enjoyed the game. Must have been mind blowing back then.
BUT i hated the last mssion. Driving the warthog is a pain. Add enemies, lots of obstacles and a countdown and it's the perfect recipe for rage.

I think I pretty much run through the Warthog run on autopilot after a decade of practice, really. The vehicle controls in CE are definitely more finicky, but at this point it's pretty hard for me not to finish with a minute or more on Legendary to spare. The trick is usually knowing when to take the side routes as opposed to the central above or below-ground options, and knowing how not to flip the Hog when you get extreme air (also, at the end you can just jump to the side of the canisters leading to the fighter and pretty much avoid every enemy on the way.)

I am working on going through CE and Halo 4 in under 3 hours, though, and I basically will need to figure out how to do the bridge descent and Keyes bump to make time (at least if I'm still going to try solo.) T&R is another major timesink but I have attempted and failed at grenade jumping too often to really bother with it.

So I just picked this up and think the single player is awesome. I can't believe how awesome Halo 4 looks. I haven't been able to get into a multiplayer game yet tho. I have a really fast connection, open nat and still nothing. It will say "players found" but never connects. I thought all this was sorted... Are there any tips and tricks I'm missing?

jem0208

So I just picked this up and think the single player is awesome. I can't believe how awesome Halo 4 looks. I haven't been able to get into a multiplayer game yet tho. I have a really fast connection, open nat and still nothing. It will say "players found" but never connects. I thought all this was sorted... Are there any tips and tricks I'm missing?
Quitting the build or hard resetting the Xbox usually fixes any issues.

The problems are sorted for the majority of people. Nobody seems to know why it's still broken for some though.

I think I pretty much run through the Warthog run on autopilot after a decade of practice, really. The vehicle controls in CE are definitely more finicky, but at this point it's pretty hard for me not to finish with a minute or more on Legendary to spare. The trick is usually knowing when to take the side routes as opposed to the central above or below-ground options, and knowing how not to flip the Hog when you get extreme air (also, at the end you can just jump to the side of the canisters leading to the fighter and pretty much avoid every enemy on the way.)

I am working on going through CE and Halo 4 in under 3 hours, though, and I basically will need to figure out how to do the bridge descent and Keyes bump to make time (at least if I'm still going to try solo.) T&R is another major timesink but I have attempted and failed at grenade jumping too often to really bother with it.

Yeah, when you've done it so much as we have it becomes second nature. I remember it being a goddamn pain the first time I played Halo: CE, though. For me it was even worse, since I started off with Halo 2 in 2004 and then bought Halo: CE and played it. Going from Halo 2's Warthog controls to Halo CE was a nightmare.

Quitting the build or hard resetting the Xbox usually fixes any issues.

The problems are sorted for the majority of people. Nobody seems to know why it's still broken for some though.

I'll give that a try. It took me a few installs to get the just to get game to completely install. It plays great, just wish I could get it working reliably. It's got me stupid excited for halo 5

Played the first 4 levels of Halo CE, only noticing towards the end that you can switch between the original and remastered.

Damn it's fun and it looks great!

Erimriv

Finished Halo CE, 2, ODST and 3. Halo CE and 2 very good, loved ODST, found 3 not as good as the other ones but the plot story gets really interesting. Now Im reading Glasslands, then I'll go with The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata to finally start Halo 4.

After finishing all Halos I'll play MGS 3, GZ and TPP in the wait for the greatness of Halo 5.

Finished Halo CE, 2, ODST and 3. Halo CE and 2 very good, loved ODST, found 3 not as good as the other ones but the plot story gets really interesting. Now Im reading Glasslands, then I'll go with The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata to finally start Halo 4.

After finishing all Halos I'll play MGS 3, GZ and TPP in the wait for the greatness of Halo 5.

If you haven't read the Forerunner Trilogy books, I'd read them before you start Halo 4.

Yup, when you're on though it feels truly rewarding. That's not to defend the gunplay in Halo 3, I'd rather have a consistent experience. The maps are the best mix of BTB+Arena in the series. 2 had the best arena maps, CE had the best BTB maps and 3 had a good mix of both, while not meeting the highs of either.

I agree. The maps a great. I just hate how you have to lead people. I cannot fathom the number of times I've shot at a guy without shields and not been given a kill. There are certain weapons that should just be hit scan. The BR is one of them.

BTW, is the BR in Halo 5 hit scan? Did anyone do a Halo 5 weapon breakdown to give us the ins and outs?

Played the first 4 levels of Halo CE, only noticing towards the end that you can switch between the original and remastered.

Damn it's fun and it looks great!

Oh man, I love Halo 1. It was the first thing I did when I started playing MCC last October. It brought back so many great memories.

Erimriv

If you haven't read the Forerunner Trilogy books, I'd read them before you start Halo 4.

I've read them all, Cryptum, Primordium and Silentium. And Im half through The Broken Circle, reading it alongside Glasslands. Love the books, they add so much depth to the story and characters.

Akai__

There really can't be 1 day without teammates betraying me... I hate people so much...

Trying to justify it, because I appareantly suck with the Sniper. Meanwhile I have 16 Sniper kills (of 29 total kills) and the guy betraying me is dropping a -10 in BTB.

At the BR in H5 being hitscan.

o-face.gif

What other weapons are hitscan? All?

Pretty sure the Plasma Caster (and the rest of the Covvie weapons) are projectile. Ditto sniper. Suppressor and Botshot are tracking, so those're definitely not hitscan, and I don't think the Light Rifle is either. So I think it's mostly just non-power human weapons.

Damn. The right stick on my controller has a drifting problem. I can still play Halo and most other games fine since I always have my thumb on it to hold it steady anyway, but it is certainly a nuisance.

Just have to hold out until October and those new controllers.

It really fucks with my playing of Titanfall though

They still won't tell us 1) when it will release 2) what it will contain 3) where they even are on it other than "continuing to make progress"

They are telling us for over 3 months now that they are working on one. But why cant they tell us what they are working on exaclty? This must be a 6+GB patch at this point...

2 or 3 Weekly Updates ago they said that they finished testing for the CU. I dont get why there is still no rough ETA for it.
I think this CU is a lie and will never happen. Its all about H5 now it seems.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
Well, Not sure what is worse. That or not being able to kick people in Halo CE, even if they betray you 20 times, like I observed once in a game...

CE BTB is kinda tragic that way. So many people here seem to rank it as their top or one of their top BTB experiences, but the no betrayal limit basically kills it in MCC. I wish they'd patch in a limit on it, add in a game timer and maybe a score counter viewable without pushing select. And maybe make the hog idiot proof.

Honestly I think all four of the games could benefit from a few balances and tweaks (H3 pistol buff pls), but even ignoring the effort to do this I'm not sure if it would be in the spirit of MCC in that everything is "just as you remembered it."

Top Bottom