• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Ein Bear

Thinking about getting back into MCC multiplayer to brush up for Halo 5. Out of curiosity, which game ended up being the most popular online? Did Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer catch on?

Tomash

Thinking about getting back into MCC multiplayer to brush up for Halo 5. Out of curiosity, which game ended up being the most popular online? Did Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer catch on?

No.

Playlist Popularity, Ordered by Population
(7.17 - 7.20)

1. Big Team Battle
2. Team Slayer
3. Halo 4
4. Team SWAT
5. Team Snipers
6. Halo 3
7. Team Doubles
8. Halo 2: Anniversary
9. Halo 2 Classic
10. Halo: CE
11. HCS
12. Rumble Pit
13. Team Hardcore

Source: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-7-25-15

Nice to see Halo 4 3rd, I knew it was getting picked the most and it would be nice to see SWAT ranked ;)

I rarely play matchmaking zombies but when I do this happens. Talk about perfect timing.

8oLpUZi.gif

So we try again and then the last man standing just commits suicide over and over as the settings of the gametype weren't really QA tested.

VeOzzbA.gif

So finally we try one last time and the game boots everyone after a quitter.

63R1TJ9.jpg

cxX8bk7.jpg

That sums up our infection run last night, garbage.

I'd still prefer player toggles with minimums for filtering during matchmaking so the maps/gametypes and skills/experience align far better. Less quitters, faster matches, a better system than vote/veto/never play what you want/always play the weighted options/slow developer sustain etc.

I'm still boggled how little player/party choice there is to choose what to play in Halo, after all these years and game versions.

I'd still prefer player toggles to filter during matchmaking so the maps/gametypes and skills/experience align far better. Less quitters, faster matches, a better system than vote/veto/never play what you want etc.

I'm still boggled how little player/party choice there is to choose what to play in Halo, after all these years and game versions.

I still question how well such a system would work without a massive playerbase. Either the rules are flexible and people bitch every time they get something that doesn't match up, or the rules are rigid and you get people filtering down to one gametype on two maps with strict skill ranking complaining about how matchmaking times are suddenly huge.

Like, it's already hard enough to find matches in a few different playlists in MCC. If you implemented such a system on MCC you'd be stuck searching for even longer.

I still question how well such a system would work without a massive playerbase. Either the rules are flexible and people bitch every time they get something that doesn't match up, or the rules are rigid and you get people filtering down to one gametype on two maps with strict skill ranking complaining about how matchmaking times are suddenly huge.

Like, it's already hard enough to find matches in a few different playlists in MCC. If you implemented such a system on MCC you'd be stuck searching for even longer.

I understand the developers and your concern for wait times but factor in the following:

1. Quitting, dashboarding, team killing etc based on players not getting to play what they want. Toggles increase player retention in game providing an improved experience by keeping player numbers in games.

2. Skill matching parameters could be wider as players have more experience with maps/gametypes of their choice. This increases over time as well, players get better at what they practice or choose to play with their friends.

3. By default all toggles would be on e.g. all maps and all gametypes. Most players or casuals or first timers etc would never even alter the widest possible set of toggles, this is basically what matchmaking is now e.g. run by developer choice of maps/gametypes per playlist with weights on votes/veto variants. If matching times were slow players can simply have everything on, again player choice and immediate search parameters based on real time reactions to search times e.g. not waiting on developer actions.

4. The vote/veto variants presented are based on matches within toggles, this translates to developers not having to spend so much time on playlist selections and variants. The data is driven by player/party choice more so than incorrect developer assumptions or selections. How many maps in MCC have you really played? How many gametypes in MCC have you really played?

5. Minimum toggles required. Players would be forced to have a strict amount of maps or gametypes turned on e.g. you can't just toggle only one map and gametype on. This translates to keeping search times and player/playlist pools wide enough to be quick.

6. PC games with similar populations do just fine with server browsers. Toggles are a hybrid system taking the best of both server browser and developer based matchmaking systems.

7. At any time a player could choose all on quick search or match based on my toggles e.g. a toggle on/off for toggles. Simple and efficient.

8. Certain playlists could ignore toggles e.g. action sack. Playlists could also have minimum population thresholds and dynamically display if toggles are allowed or not e.g. population drops below 1,000 or 10,000 in a playlist and toggles are defaulted to off for fast games. When the population returns to that playlist toggles can be on again. Again a real time system.

9. Perhaps a minimum number of games are to be played before you can use toggles. Similar to Super Mario Maker unlocks.

10. No junk or unfinished/untested maps/settings like a server browser only system.

To me so much of why players don't stick with a game is gaining the experience to enjoy the game, getting to choose what you play and not having their experience ruined by others. Having toggles at launch of a Halo game hits all these key indicator points to retaining the largest population you can.

Take a small subsection of the community, say MLG/HCS. Pro and semi-pro players find a developer sanctioned map or setting to be great, they all will gravitate to toggling it on. Say they find the opposite so they gravitate to switching the bad ones off. Matchmaking automatically shape shifts and the vote/veto options help keep players coming back to play what they actually want to play. The developer didn't have to sustain anything, the systems are dynamic in nature and deliver in real time.

The thing I don't get is not trying this sort of system once in the life of Halo matchmaking. It's basically just queries/queue work around systems that have existed and iterated over the years. Why not layer this on top so it's all there at launch? Why not increase population by releasing multiplayer only on Windows 10 and allowing cross play with the X1? Just some ideas anyhow.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
I understand the developers and your concern for wait times but factor in the following:

1. Quitting, dashboarding, team killing etc based on players not getting to play what they want. Toggles increase player retention in game providing an improved experience by keeping player numbers in games.

I really hope there's a system like this, but it needs to account for people who quit when half their team leaves. I quit loads of games in MCC as either the last or second last person on the team (or on a team of 4 against 1 or 2 people--it's not fun on either side) and this shouldn't be penalized. This can be easily shown in the quitting menu: if you have a full or nearly full team, going to quit would show "Surrender," and if half (or whatever number works) your team is missing it would show "Draw" or something.

The thing I don't get is not trying this sort of system once in the life of Halo matchmaking. It's basically just queries/queue work around systems that have existed and iterated over the years. Why not layer this on top so it's all there at launch? Why not increase population by releasing multiplayer only on Windows 10 and allowing cross play with the X1? Just some ideas anyhow.

I have no idea why loads of simple features have been missing from Halo. Custom games browsers are insanely easy to program, they are far, far easier than skill based matchmaking. If there's some idea that it would take away from playlist populations...Warcraft 3's matchmaking did fine despite half it's userbase being consumed by DOTA. Why can't Forge alter game data like gun rate of fire, damage, reload time, and so on?

I really hope there's a system like this, but it needs to account for people who quit when half their team leaves. I quit loads of games in MCC as either the last or second last person on the team (or on a team of 4 against 1 or 2 people--it's not fun on either side) and this shouldn't be penalized. This can be easily shown in the quitting menu: if you have a full or nearly full team, going to quit would show "Surrender," and if half (or whatever number works) your team is missing it would show "Draw" or something.

Surrender needs to replace quit after 2 or more players quit on your team or you're the last one on your team. That should account for 4v4, 5v5, 2v2 and not be too annoying in BTB while being fairly easy to code for. Of course they could have a threshold per playlist which is another nice way to code it.

Christof

Neo Member
Ya I think they should try and copy some of the MOBA match making features like post quiting wait periods and surrender options.

I'm pretty sure this has been known for a few months now. And I believe most people are actually pretty happy with the change. Personally I'm more or less indifferent. Less of a chance of playing the same map over and over, but also no chance to vote to avoid a map I dislike.

Man im so happy about this. I stopped playing MCC because of the same 3 maps always appearing. I hate the vote feature. Never worked properly.

IronWarrior

Neo Member

I'm most impressed you're able to actually hit someone with the sticky detonator. Watching the video I wasn't sure if other players could tell when it was stuck to them, mostly since I don't think I've ever actually been shot with it.

Man im so happy about this. I stopped playing MCC because of the same 3 maps always appearing. I hate the vote feature. Never worked properly.

MCC is far worse than the Reach style voting, which at least allowed you to change your vote during the voting timer. This could get annoying with people spamming vote changes but at least sometimes if people saw a rare/interesting map/mode getting support they could change their vote to it.

It would also help to have ties be randomized.

Holy hell, was Halo 2 on Legendary always this brutal/borderline unfair?

Granted some missions are worse than others. I'm only up to Oracle on my Legendary playthough but man...fuck Metropolis and those Jackal Snipers (I know they're also on Outskirts, but I ran across rooftops so I never had to deal with them).

Holy hell, was Halo 2 on Legendary always this brutal/borderline unfair?

Granted some missions are worse than others. I'm only up to Oracle on my Legendary playthough but man...fuck Metropolis and those Jackal Snipers (I know they're also on Outskirts, but I ran across rooftops so I never had to deal with them).
Oh yeah it was. Nightmare stuff.

278tslWh.jpg

I'm starting to think the majority of people playing MCC these days were Halo 3 babies.

(Yes this was the very last second of the vote and Standoff won)

Duji

I'm most impressed you're able to actually hit someone with the sticky detonator. Watching the video I wasn't sure if other players could tell when it was stuck to them, mostly since I don't think I've ever actually been shot with it.
Took a bit of getting used to. You have to sort of snap and made a best-prediction. It's a bit of a gamble since the grenade has such a low velocity.

And I think most knew they were stuck, save for maybe 2-3 guys who just didn't seem to react at all. I've never been stuck by it either, lol.

It would also help to have ties be randomized.

I never got why this wasn't a thing. It always seemed arbitrary to pick the left-most choice first every time. I know each slot has always deliberately had different weightings so that played into it, but it just makes things worse when the most common gametypes/maps always won ties by default simply due to the fact that they were on the left. At least randomization gives less common combinations more of a shot.

Honestly though, I feel Mario Kart's voting system is probably one of the few things Nintendo's really nailed as far as online goes. Each vote goes into a pool and then a vote is randomly chosen. So everyone's vote still has a chance of being picked, but the odds still naturally skew towards whatever has gotten the most votes.

I was wondering, and maybe Frankie could answer this, will there be a Halo specific app on mobile for Halo5? It would be nice to have something that could give us stats and whatnot.

278tslWh.jpg

I'm starting to think the majority of people playing MCC these days were Halo 3 babies.

I would still probably vote for CE, but in that case I can't blame people. Remnant is overplayed and slayer on CE goes to 50 so on BTB Hang 'Em High, that's around two minutes before the game is over.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so sick of randoms. I can't wait for Halo 5 to come out so I can hopefully have a full active roster at any given moment again.

In a BTB game on Standoff, I thought I misheard when the announcer said "Teammate gained."

It's happened before in a Halo 4 match. I didn't think MCC had join in progress.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In a BTB game on Standoff, I thought I misheard when the announcer said "Teammate gained."

It's happened before in a Halo 4 match. I didn't think MCC had join in progress.
Yeah, it's happened to me before too. I didn't notice whether or not it actually added someone tho. Ya never know with the MCC.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
278tslWh.jpg

I don't know if you know this, but you can take screenshots on the X1 now by double tapping the Xbox button and pushing Y.

I don't vote CE BTB most of the time anyways due to the no betrayal limit and H2A doesn't seem to get much love (for a lot of pretty good reasons) so my vote would also defs be to H3 there too.

Erimriv

Yesterday I've finished 'Halo: New Blood', I've read every single Halo novel and now I'm playing Halo 4. Is Spartan Ops worth to play offline? I mean no coop.

Bread

Banned
I never really noticed it before, but the ability to play all the Halo games together has really shown me how fucking bad Halo 3 is. Halo without hitscan is a joke.

Toa TAK

Banned
Halo 3 is awesome, though. It wasn't until I joined this site was when I saw a lot of resentment towards its multiplayer.

That said, in the Infection mode, I keep voting Halo 4. I really dig the new maps they've made for the mode.

I've been stuck on "Downloading latest matchmaking data" for the last like three weeks now. Anyone else plagued by this? Gears online works, so I don't think its our connection.

Really want to play some fucking Halo :(

Nowise10

Halo 3 is awesome, though. It wasn't until I joined this site was when I saw a lot of resentment towards its multiplayer.

That said, in the Infection mode, I keep voting Halo 4. I really dig the new maps they've made for the mode.

Halo 3 is fantastic, don't let any fool on here make you think otherwise

Leyasu

Banned
I just played a BTB match on perdition. Never played that map before and I quite liked it. Even got to play it on one of 343s special dedicated p2p servers. Such wow.

Duji

Enjoyed this lol, really good job Duji. Hoping the Plasma Caster brings the fun like the GL and SD have.

Thanks man.

And it was exciting to learn that 343 mentioned it in their latest Community Update:

Big thanks to Bravo / Tashi / Frankie or whoever it was. :)

Duji

That was brilliant.

The "sticky situation" section was great.

I love how he pauses to look at his stuck foot before he embarks on his final charge. I really wonder what it looked like on his end, and what was going through his mind at the time.

Top Bottom