• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

I'm having fun with the game. Bit suprised by the negative reactions, I get the campaign complaints but otherwise I think it is a fantastic sequel.

Hawk269

I do miss the variable AI difficultly of the original game when playing skirmish against the AI. Not sure if it is not in due not having true skill like the original. Hopefully they add it because I can pretty much handle normal fine but Heroic is making me it's bitch.

Tecnniqe

Banned
WTF Is... - Halo Wars 2 ?
I do miss the variable AI difficultly of the original game when playing skirmish against the AI. Not sure if it is not in due not having true skill like the original. Hopefully they add it because I can pretty much handle normal fine but Heroic is making me it's bitch.
Same, would be nice. Would also be nice to have a turtle/aggressive etc setting.
Anyone has this issue on PC? I change graphic settings and they reset after I close the game.
My options do save :3

njean777

I just beat it and well that was an out of nowhere ending.... like I felt the game wasn't even half over... I really hope they support it with good story DLC cuz they def need to at this point.

I wish you could play as the Banished on campaign also. That way going into MP you would know how to play them.

njean777

So what is the most popular MP mode? Blitz looks cool but I don't want to waste my time if nobody is playing it.

Caayn

If I'm defeated in a multiplayer match, why can't I exit while getting at least some rewards for that match instead of being forced to stay in spectator mode.

Damn, some of these campaign missions can be tough, even on heroic. Curious as to how I am going to manage Legendary.

Is it possible to manually select targets for turrets and garrisons? Also, possible to see ranges etc. for special abilities? And finally., are stances completely absent?

Ade

Loving it, some minor UI issues and I have issues with the team colours in 3v3s, perhaps I'm slightly colour blind but I find the yellow and green team colours confusing.

Campaign is harder than I expected, also pleasantly surprised by all the free Blitz packs.

Oh and the whole 1,2 punch pair of missions and accompanying cut scenes are some top tier halo.

Finished it on heroic.. There were some tough missions. The f'ing AI plasma strikes are ridiculous..

Time to go back and try and collect everything. I think I got one gold medal the whole time (last mission).

Overall it's fun, I enjoyed the story but wished there was more. I like where it leaves off though for now.

zeeaykay

Heroic is definitely more difficult comparedecision to HW1, and for better or worse they feel more like multiplayer matches. You definitely can't just sit back and turtle because of the leader powers and constant attacking by the enemy. Even though it can be frustrating it definitely seems to prepare you better for online matched and forces you to micromanage your armies and spread them apart, where I feel like in the first one you could always win by making a huge army and steamrolling.

Fuchsdh

Wow. Do you use skulls at least? :)

I'm planning on cheesing through with them, once I'm finished with everything else.

That's how I do Legendary in all Halos. :p

Finished up on Normal. Didn't run into any difficulties at all. Seems like the campaign had a good amount of variety, a bit more than Halo Wars, although it was occasionally bothersome that they basically just reused multiplayer concepts without changing the nomenclature. Not as much variety as something like StarCraft, which was a shame (especially on the missions where you were using a handful of units versus base building.)

I agree the AI is definitely more aggressive than it often was in Halo Wars, and I'm not really sure that's a bad thing—the original game usually just rewarded you for sitting back and creating a large enough death ball to steamroll your enemies in a big push, and this requires more strategy, though that's a disappointment for the people who like turtling.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Story complete on Legendary, whooo! That last cutscene tho, whew lad.

Leader power spam is some bullshit tho.

Overall I really liked it outside a bug forcing a 1 hour mission restart and 2 disconnect from server kicking me from campaign mission to menu.
Wow. Do you use skulls at least? :)

I'm planning on cheesing through with them, once I'm finished with everything else.

No skulls outside grunt party skull :D

Basically 3 kodiaks looking over the A and B point while having spartan, scorpions and those healing helicopters.

Defect

Okay, what is this bullshit? I installed Halo Wars Definitive edition on my xbone but it doesn't show up on my pc? It even says Play Anywhere.

RoKKeR

Is there a faster way to select individual unit types other than hitting RT to scroll through All Units? I suppose that's how you do it but there is a delay/slowness to it that is really bothersome.

Otherwise, really enjoying the campaign so far.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is there a faster way to select individual unit types other than hitting RT to scroll through All Units? I suppose that's how you do it but there is a delay/slowness to it that is really bothersome.

On console? Point at them and press A?

shoreu

Double click that unit

Werd

By the way, am I the only one who thought the abilities in Blitz were in the regular game going in? Obviously I didn't play the original beta or watch enough footage I guess but I thought blast/guard and such would be there. They would probably be too OP with the mass unit counts in the regular game (despite complaints on the pop limit there is constant streams of units), and I don't know how they would be even implemented now that I think about it.

Also that the same leader powers are so different. The glassing beam is pretty mediocre in Blitz as most units can outrun it and it doesn't have that much of a radius, but it moves as fast as hornets and obliterates large groups in deathmatch.

Not that customizing units and abilities to suit Blitz/normal is a bad thing, just caught me off guard to start.

Started it tonight, playing the tutorials to refresh myself on controls and tried the Blitz tutorial as well to see how that was like. I can see myself playing one or two games of that online.

Also played first campaign mission. Gonna kick on with it tomorrow. But good start.

Hawk269

Someone on the Halo way point forum checked the run time for the cut scenes and there is 26 minutes of cut scenes for HW1 and 27 minutes of cut scenes for HW2. I am not done with the game, but the quality and length of the first few I have seen are better than HW1.

My concerns thus far are:

1. Bugs - Just way too many and it seems like it is everywhere, in campaign in MP etc. On one Map it was showing a health bar for a rock. Nothing was around and I was using Air Units and it was a health bar on a rock that was in a crater.

2. Lack of MP and Blitz Maps. Really discouraged by this. HW 1 ended with 17 total maps, HW2 has 9 total maps 8 MP/1 Blitz. So for them to even match the original game, they need 8 more maps, which I don't see them adding that many. Hoping I am wrong with this.

3. No HDR support? Why? With the effects and explosions, HDR would of been great.

4. Static AI settings. There is Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary when playing Skirmish. In the original, the AI could be set to "Automatic" which would scale based on the players skill level from previous skirmish fights. You basically would level up your skill based on winning and when you loose it would go down, but the AI would adjust to this. Not sure why they did not use the same thing.

5. No True Skill MP against other players and no online Ranking. I read they intend to add this with an update though.

6. Net code or servers are screwed up. Lot's of disconnects, slow down and just not a great experience when playing on-line and for a game like this, the life line is on-line MP and if this is not fixed immediately, we can see the on-line community disappear.

While that list is not a ton of stuff, I do like the game still. The overall package actually delivers a lot of stuff to do and you can see that they put a lot of love into the game, even with the issues. The most immediate things are bugs being fixed and maps being added.

As some of you know, I blasted Dan Ayoub in one of the HW D threads as I felt the issues and things they removed from the HWD edition seemed questionable, like on-line ranking and proper matchmaking. That was spurred on by the issues of the MCC game and he was in charge of that as well. I was prepared to write a positive post about Dan based on HW2, but there is no way in good conscience that I can do that. With the bugs and lack of MP Maps, lack of Blitz maps, lack of having true on-line matchmaking with True Skill and Ranking etc, it just seems that no matter what Dan works on has major issues. I hope the team with Dan's leadership can fix the bugs and add many more maps and true online matchmaking, but until then, this is another Dan Ayoub game that has issues.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Someone on the Halo way point forum checked the run time for the cut scenes and there is 26 minutes of cut scenes for HW1 and 27 minutes of cut scenes for HW2. I am not done with the game, but the quality and length of the first few I have seen are better than HW1.

1. Bugs - Just way too many and it seems like it is everywhere, in campaign in MP etc. On one Map it was showing a health bar for a rock. Nothing was around and I was using Air Units and it was a health bar on a rock that was in a crater.

2. Lack of MP and Blitz Maps. Really discouraged by this. HW 1 ended with 17 total maps, HW2 has 9 total maps 8 MP/1 Blitz. So for them to even match the original game, they need 8 more maps, which I don't see them adding that many. Hoping I am wrong with this.

3. No HDR support? Why? With the effects and explosions, HDR would of been great.

4. Static AI settings. There is Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary when playing Skirmish. In the original, the AI could be set to "Automatic" which would scale based on the players skill level from previous skirmish fights. You basically would level up your skill based on winning and when you loose it would go down, but the AI would adjust to this. Not sure why they did not use the same thing.

5. No True Skill MP against other players and no online Ranking. I read they intend to add this with an update though.

6. Net code or servers are screwed up. Lot's of disconnects, slow down and just not a great experience when playing on-line and for a game like this, the life line is on-line MP and if this is not fixed immediately, we can see the on-line community disappear.

While that list is not a ton of stuff, I do like the game still. The overall package actually delivers a lot of stuff to do and you can see that they put a lot of love into the game, even with the issues. The most immediate things are bugs being fixed and maps being added.

As some of you know, I blasted Dan Ayoub in one of the HW D threads as I felt the issues and things they removed from the HWD edition seemed questionable, like on-line ranking and proper matchmaking. That was spurred on by the issues of the MCC game and he was in charge of that as well. I was prepared to write a positive post about Dan based on HW2, but there is no way in good conscience that I can do that. With the bugs and lack of MP Maps, lack of Blitz maps, lack of having true on-line matchmaking with True Skill and Ranking etc, it just seems that no matter what Dan works on has major issues. I hope the team with Dan's leadership can fix the bugs and add many more maps and true online matchmaking, but until then, this is another Dan Ayoub game that has issues.

For the HP stuff bug I think its just some unit bar stuck on the screen. Pressed F10 and resumed and it disappeared in my case.

They will add more maps but its really shitty Blitz only got the beta map still. Its really lop sided too with B and C being key...

As for ranked and true-skill, we're in the pre season and it seems to yet be activated.
Even if it was, 90% of losses are disconnects.

I agree on the rest for the most part :)

TheXbox

rip ayoub. After a delay + two betas you'd expect this game to launch without a hitch. 5 had problems at launch as well, but that was mostly a drought of content (and a trash campaign).

Still excited to play come Tuesday. I'm still sort of amazed they made another damn Halo Wars.

Hawk269

rip ayoub. After a delay + two betas you'd expect this game to launch without a hitch. 5 had problems at launch as well, but that was mostly a drought of content (and a trash campaign).

Still excited to play come Tuesday. I'm still sort of amazed they made another damn Halo Wars.

Don't get me wrong. I do like the game. I like how there is a bit more depth to the game. The issues I have are fixable, but still a pain the ass and I wish they play tested and worked on the netcode/servers some more. I actually had better on-line experience with the 2 Beta's than with the final game which is perplexing to say the least. I know maps will come, and I hope it is sooner than later.

I still feel that the overall package is pretty great and if they fix the issues, the game will be great...but we said that about MCC which Dan Ayoub was in charge of and look how long it took for it just to be serviceable. HW2 is not in not in the same bad level as MCC was, but still with 2 beta's as you mentioned, the issues coming up should not be happening.

REV 09

In settings you can change d-pad to default to groups and have the RT + dpad be used for selecting the base,etc. I find this to be a much better way of controlling groups of units.

Assigning units to 4 groups is new for HW2.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I do like the game. I like how there is a bit more depth to the game. The issues I have are fixable, but still a pain the ass and I wish they play tested and worked on the netcode/servers some more. I actually had better on-line experience with the 2 Beta's than with the final game which is perplexing to say the least. I know maps will come, and I hope it is sooner than later.

I still feel that the overall package is pretty great and if they fix the issues, the game will be great...but we said that about MCC which Dan Ayoub was in charge of and look how long it took for it just to be serviceable. HW2 is not in not in the same bad level as MCC was, but still with 2 beta's as you mentioned, the issues coming up should not be happening.
Funny thing is beta ran super smooth at 4K but online at 1080 is lags so freaking much most of the time. Can't play or disconnect. None of those existed in the beta.
Does this take place after Halo 5 or something? I have no idea what's happening... who are the Banished? lol
Yes, it's 5(?) years after the events of halo 5 if my memory serves me right

As for who they are it's explained early on in the game.
Basically riot faction within the covenant who became mercenaries.

Hawk269

Playing this at 4k/60fps is bliss though. The detail in the special effects is great. I really wonder if they can have the graphics settings of max of the PC version at 4k but 30fps locked on Scorpio? Don't think Scorpio can handle 4k/60fps at max settings like the PC version, but if they went 4k, max settings locked 30fps, I think it can do it...again if it is all that it is hoped to be.

BTW...Is it a bug in the 2nd mission that your armies do not auto target the supply bunkers? I believe it is a optional goal, but my armies do not auto attack them even though they are banished branded supply bunkers. Tutorial stated that armies will auto attack enemy structures etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, it's 5(?) years after the events of halo 5 if my memory serves me right

As for who they are it's explained early on in the game.
Basically riot faction within the covenant who became mercenaries.
Yeah, I mean, I watched the cutscene after the first mission... but I still really have no idea what's going on. lol

I guess they assume everyone played 4 and 5. Or hopefully they start filling in more gaps.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I mean, I watched the cutscene after the first mission... but I still really have no idea what's going on. lol

I guess they assume everyone played 4 and 5. Or hopefully they start filling in more gaps.

You don't need to know anything going into the game besides, I suppose, that humanity was fighting aliens to begin with, and that Halos blow stuff up (there's a lot of catch-up knowledge the Spirit of Fire crew wouldn't know that gets dumped off-screen.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You don't need to know anything going into the game besides, I suppose, that humanity was fighting aliens to begin with, and that Halos blow stuff up (there's a lot of catch-up knowledge the Spirit of Fire crew wouldn't know that gets dumped off-screen.)
Yeah, I guess in a way it's interesting to be as confused as the characters are. Although they don't seem to ask any questions like "Did we win the war?" lol

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I guess in a way it's interesting to be as confused as the characters are. Although they don't seem to ask any questions like "Did we win the war?" lol

Yeah, it's my biggest gripe about the game. We're missing a cinematic or even just some mission dialogue to that stuff.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Whooooa buddy slow down there haha, it's only a few months after Halo 5.

raw

yeah idk wtf i was thinking about, but hey WEEKEND

Trup1aya

If you haven't played halo 4&5 then you are in the same boat as the Spirit of Fire crew. They don't really have any insight into anything that happened since HW1.

As far as the Banished are concerned, HW2 is their first appearance. We learn in this game that they splintered from the Covenant and took them on during the Human-Covenant War.

xabbott

I'm only a few missions in so far but the plot/characters are so much better than Halo 5. I hope Halo 6 will be the end of the promethean eneimes. I don't need more grunts but I would like just more organic looking aliens in the future.

sTiTcH AU

How do you make a spartan exit a warthog? On the 3rd campagn mission and need the spartan to do something but hes in the warthog...

Never mind i got it...

Top Bottom