• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Card Boy

Banned
I should be getting a free promo copy of this, so the only other way to get Halo Wars 1 is via BC or the Ultimate Edition?

I should be getting a free promo copy of this, so the only other way to get Halo Wars 1 is via BC or the Ultimate Edition?

I think we assume at some point it will be available separately, though there's no guarantee that's true. The BC version won't be remastered either.

Grisby

I'm having a good time.

I am however terrible at RTS games. I either wait and try to horde too many units or I panic and not micromanage enough, etc.

Playing on normal and my first loss came on mission 7 or 8, the
Deep
one.

I like the better framerate and colorful graphics. Story is decent so far and I liked Cutter's speech a lot the in beginning. They really did a number on Anders design though, she looks completely different than the first game, or feels like it anymore.

Levels are colorful! So far this gets a thumbs up from master casual RTS player Grisby.

RoKKeR

Really enjoying the campaign.

Question: How do you upgrade the Garage so as to be able to build Scorpions? I see that it needs a "3" of something but I wasn't sure of what that 3 was or how to go about upgrading to it. I do miss the power levels and think it's a bit weird that Power is now its own resource, though I can see some instances in which it makes sense. (such as for leader powers)

Toa TAK

Banned

Question: How do you upgrade the Garage so as to be able to build Scorpions? I see that it needs a "3" of something but I wasn't sure of what that 3 was or how to go about upgrading to it. I do miss the power levels and think it's a bit weird that Power is now its own resource, though I can see some instances in which it makes sense. (such as for leader powers)
You must upgrade the main base.

Tech level is now determined by the level of your main base, upgrade that will increase your tech level.

Let's go 2v2!

*Partner quits right at the start*

I see the quitters from H5 came to HW2!

Either give me an AI or control over their base FFS.

Anyone have any tips for (one of the last missions I believe, so mind spoilers)

The Halo mission? I literally have no idea how I am supposed to do this. Playing on heroic. The enemy pumps out a massive amount of enemies and also takes control over the towers, so you''re forced to not turtle and try and get out there. Problem is, you can't freaking hold the towers. I would have a few defensive squads at tower A and they would get wiped by this massive army while I am making a move over to B.

This is even without the disgusting leader powers that sometimes wipe your army that you just spend a good amount of time and resources on.

The one with the snipers had this problem as well, but this one also throws massive amounts of enemies at your face.

B3N1

Did they mix something up and release an earlier build or what?

UI bugs are getting more apparent, Pressing exit after completing a Campaign Mission takes me to the Skirmish screen. After leaving a match, the UI elements can be seen mashed up for a second, it looks so fucking amateurish. We've come a long way since Reach I see.

Units and VFX get stuck (Happened in HW1, but less frequently), random UI notifications get shown during Campaign (No more units on Mission 9, and such). Sometimes scrolling with RT makes the selected units Invisible, have to Unselect to fix.

I started doing Golds, on 1-3-0 I collected all the supplies, yet the counter said 1 was missing.

To top it off, the game just locked on me playing a 3v3 VS AI Domination at 4985 points.

These are rather visible bugs which shouldn't be in a final release.

The Halo mission? I literally have no idea how I am supposed to do this. Playing on heroic. The enemy pumps out a massive amount of enemies and also takes control over the towers, so you''re forced to not turtle and try and get out there. Problem is, you can't freaking hold the towers. I would have a few defensive squads at tower A and they would get wiped by this massive army while I am making a move over to B.

This is even without the disgusting leader powers that sometimes wipe your army that you just spend a good amount of time and resources on.

The one with the snipers had this problem as well, but this one also throws massive amounts of enemies at your face.

My solution was switching to Normal, or you can try skulls.

Any ideas on winning Domination or Deathmatch in <10 and <16 minutes?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Played an intense Blitz game where the other team was winning most of the match, but the end score was 199-200. We won. :)

Did they mix something up and release an earlier build or what?

UI bugs are getting more apparent, Pressing exit after completing a Campaign Mission takes me to the Skirmish screen. After leaving a match, the UI elements can be seen mashed up for a second, it looks so fucking amateurish. We've come a long way since Reach I see.

Maybe the Halo MCC Team was involved
cMqsVQq.png

Akai__

Playing on Windows, anyone else having problems with achievements not unlocking?

If you mean achievements plopping up like you are used to from Xbox One, then you won't see that on PC. In order to see achievements plopping in real time you have to:

- Activate the Windows Notification Center.
- Enable Notifications for the Xbox App.
- And pray that Notifications even get triggered, because they rarely do either way.

Other than that, just run the Xbox App and refresh it from time to time. Achievements should show up after a minute.

Vee_One

If you mean achievements plopping up like you are used to from Xbox One, then you won't see that on PC. In order to see achievements plopping in real time you have to:

- Activate the Windows Notification Center.
- Enable Notifications for the Xbox App.
- And pray that Notifications even get triggered, because they rarely do either way.

Other than that, just run the Xbox App and refresh it from time to time. Achievements should show up after a minute.

Thanks for the reply - I'm used to how it behaves on PC
I have achievements simply not unlocking, gamer score stuck at 0/1000 :(

B3N1

The jank continues. On One-Three-Zero, if you destroy 2 containers at the same time it only counts as one. Visited the Warthogs first, screaming grunt didn't appear this way. Then by the defense part, I had ~2000 Resources and ~200 Energy. Good luck spending that on anything.

Akai__

Thanks for the reply - I'm used to how it behaves on PC
I have achievements simply not unlocking, gamer score stuck at 0/1000 :(

I mean, we Ultimate Edition pre-order people are like the Beta testers here, so add that to the list of bugs.

This is so sad...

Vee_One

I mean, we Ultimate Edition pre-order people are like the Beta testers here, so add that to the list of bugs.

This is so sad...

Its ridiculous that achievements unlocking are still an issue
The Live eco system has been around for 12+ years

Tecnniqe

Banned

3 kodiak on each point at range, scorpion and nightingale on point. Leader power will appear when in LOS so focus where they attack.
etn2P1S.jpg
Anyone else having video and audio stutter in the cutscenes?
No but I had music play during it once.
Played an intense Blitz game where the other team was winning most of the match, but the end score was 199-200. We won. :)
Wow lol
Playing on Windows, anyone else having problems with achievements not unlocking?
No, been unlocking fine here.

To me the Blitz Card package stuff is kinda not thought to the end?

It seems like you cant level up by just playing skirmish or firefight so that will translate in not leveling up to get better cards etc.

Im still baffled by all this uber positive reviews, especially from a lot of the Halo youtubers...

I really lost the interest to even trying the campaign on higher difficulty with all unfair junk and awful mission design.

A patch will probably take a while :/

pitchfork

Not sure if this has been posted yet (Halo Wars DE) https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/cde2182789f04f2c821fab101cb1c8d7/topics/halo-wars-de-update---coming-next-week/e8603c3a-8fe6-4dc9-a7ec-f9d44e619dfc/posts

All units! The Halo Wars team is getting ready to push out the first update for Halo Wars: DE. Current ETA is middle of next week. Stay tuned, we'll definitely get the word out when the update is live.

Here's what you can expect:
Improvements to networking and connectivity
Implementation of a progression system
Removal of the Pause function in public games
Add additional graphics resolutions in Options
Remove the Early Access label on the game
Improvements to game flow in multiplayer
Make the game default to discreet graphics cards instead of an existing on-board integrated GPU
Fix pop-ups that appear too often
Fix audio bugs in options and in the campaign
Fix a lengthy black screen appearance when launching the game for the first time on UWP
Fix other crashes, visual asset problems, and messaging issues
This is just the first update - the team is also working on some additional tweaks and improvements further down the road that will include, among other things, leaderboards and text chat for the PC version of Halo Wars: DE. This is expected to be coming in late March and we'll share more details as we get closer to release and things get finalized.

Vee_One

Ok, finally got an achievement to unlock
Restarted computer, signed in and out etc.
Shame about the other three that I should have...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just played a long ass versus game, destroyed 2 out of 3 bases, third was like 5% HP and I DC, my team won but count as loss.

Fucking shit ass servers. /rage

Alright, finished the campaign. Few thoughts on it:

Really enjoyed the campaign, although it did seem a tad short, or perhaps I just wanted more of it. The ending felt a tad abrupt, considering Atriox is still supposedly somewhere on the Ark with a huge force, so (thankfully) the Banished aren't out of the fight yet. I definitely would have liked a bit more backstory on Atriox and his Banished, why are they on the Ark and what's their overall goal or purpose? Also, what pulled the Spirit of Fire out of slipspace at the Ark? Those questions are, sadly, left unanswered. In addition, I did expect bit more interaction between the UNSC (Cutter to be specific) and Atriox. It did seem like a battered SOF crew managed to give the Banished quite a beating.

Overall however, digging the Banished a lot and I hope they somehow end up in Halo 6.

I am curious whether or not the Banished DLC campaign (it was datamined) is going to feature Atriox vs. the Covenant. Which could potentially lead into a few new leaders which feature vanilla Covenant skins.. or it could of course be a continuation of the story on the Ark. Both are nice!

I do hope that 343 keep this hybrid artstyle of the new and the old. Halo Wars 2 really evoked that 'Halo' feeling the old trilogy had, without thrashing on all the new designs that have originated from the new trilogy.

Tecnniqe

Banned
And at the end of a long 2v2 blitz my game decided to just close itself as we we're taking the points back.

Cool.

Thats 3 matches in a row where I've disconnected/had the game just close itself at the second from a victory...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Xpost
Firstly, the insane lag in 90% of matches online makes no sense unless its due to bad servers.
This needs fixing ASAP, this didn't exist in the beta...

Then, my last 3 matches in a row I had "out of sync" "lost connection to halo wars 2 servers" and had the game just close on itself with no error.
All of them we we're either winning badly or in the lead where the end result was victory. You get nothing from it and it counts as Defeat.

For a online game, this is very, very bad as more or less every outside a very few losses have been due to disconnects and other bugs/issues plaguing this game.

The match-made versus AI count as loss UNLESS you destroy the enemy base. Doing the objective like Domination or Stronghold counts as Defeat, even if you win the proper way.
Disregarding the fact that Firefight don't give ANYTHING when focused on cards and upgrading them, you got a lot of issues at hand.

Oh, the leader power spam in the campaign and bugs stopping you from completion after spending an hour in the story mission with no save/reload, well, it's frustrating to say the least.
I like the game, but this is very much BETA level issues.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...50b7-e8d0-4149-845d-96473f3fd48e/posts?page=1

Werd

Ah so that's what's going on with the AI defeats. My "loss" was a 3-2 strongholds so that makes sense.

Well I'm not playing that again until it's fixed. Personally I've only been disconnected in one MP game (another vs AI), but did also have the random terrible performance/lag in two or three more. I thought it might have been connected to forcing the game in and out of windowed mode while it was loading as it hadn't happened any games I waited for, but that probably wouldn't make any actual programming sense.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Are you in the preview program? Because there are some issues right now with connection.
I have it the whole time in Battlefield.

PC and nothing with preview, so no.
Connection drops for like a millisecond as I get the notification lost/connected instantly.

My friend on PC have it too and every other game I don't DC I'm told my Teammate disconnect so...

Hawk269

What I like about Power is that it gives the game a bit more "management" above Halo Wars 1. I went back to HW1 yesterday for a bit after playing HW2 for about 6 hours and HW1 felt like a very "light" RTS now. I was never into PC RTS so I don't have a much of a reference, but when HW1 came out it seemed a little complicated, but got use to it pretty quick and loved it...but I do love the additional resources and having more units/upgrading paths etc. For me HW2 is a bit more complicated and needed more management which is something I really like.

Is it possible to play something like free for all in this game? I have only seen 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 and so forth (with only red and blue as colors). In the old C&C games (or BFME) I just loved to go have a good old free for all, which would be a lot of fun with these various leader.

Played one 1vs1 just now. Damn, I didn't get to use the Sentinels in the campaign but these guys pack a serious punch. I toyed around a bit to get the Retriever on the field and that was well worth it, really cool unit. I might play Anders more than I thought..

Again, I have to give credit to the effects in this game. Those sentinel beams look CRISP.

Is it possible to play something like free for all in this game? I have only seen 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 and so forth (with only red and blue as colors). In the old C&C games (or BFME) I just loved to go have a good old free for all, which would be a lot of fun with these various leader.

Played one 1vs1 just now. Damn, I didn't get to use the Sentinels in the campaign but these guys pack a serious punch. I toyed around a bit to get the Retriever on the field and that was well worth it, really cool unit. I might play Anders more than I thought..

Again, I have to give credit to the effects in this game. Those sentinel beams look CRISP.

Nope. FFA and a multi-team type playlist would be cool and hopefully 343 consider adding it down the line.

Hawk269

I was in a similar battle in Blitz where we were losing early and came back to win with about 30secongds left. Score was 200-196. It was a Blast.

I have to say, I am really loving Blitz mode. I liked it a lot in Beta so that was no surprise, but played at least 3 hours of Blitz last night and really had a great time and servers worked good. Out of the 15 or so games I played I was only disconnected once. While the game ran very smoothly (Xbox One), I do feel there is a delay at times when you have a card highlighted and you are hitting "X" to cycle another card. At times it reacts immediately, other times it feels like I have to press "X" a few times and it finally triggers. Hope they fix that and add a little stickiness when having a card selected, it still feels a little twitchy and I have launched a card I did not attend because it is a bit too twitchy.

I also really think they need to have a separate Ranking System for Blitz Mode. I know there is an "under the hood" True Skill or whatever they call it, but they need to have something separate for Blitz because it is so different that playing regular MP modes.

Top Bottom