• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Spasm

Can anyone tell me what the tech tree is for Scorpions? That sure would help for "From the Deep". Hovering over it shows all requirements are green, except Air Base which is yellow. So I build an Air Base, and the Scorpion is still locked, and Air Base is still yellow. I feel stupid. What am I missing?

Edit: Great, top of the page with my shame. :/

Werd

Anyone else have the weekly challenge beat the match-made heroic AI in under 8 minutes and want to clear it? I'll do it on either platform.

Can anyone tell me what the tech tree is for Scorpions? That sure would help for "From the Deep". Hovering over it shows all requirements are green, except Air Base which is yellow. So I build an Air Base, and the Scorpion is still locked, and Air Base is still yellow. I feel stupid. What am I missing?
That requires you to research a tech level like HW1. It's the top slot on the main HQ building of your base (which I didn't even notice you had on that map until halfway in).
The colors of the icons by units aren't requirements but rather what they are good/bad against, green being good, yellow ok, red bad, grey can't shoot it.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
the thing i ve noticed is that in VS AI 3v3. the person in the middle is always the first to get fucked. they need reinforcements at the start send em ghosts or choppers.

B3N1

Okay, this must be a joke. I remember the Arcadia stuff from HW1 wasn't easy, but with the right tactics, it could be done without sacrifcing 10 units in each fight. Shield World wasn't that bad either, if you built the counters. With how fast I'm losing units, Veterancy shouldn't even matter, a 2 star Scorpion will be blasted away by Cleansing the same way as a newbie. The Campaign feels like an aftertought to the multiplayer.

HW1 had some cool, memorable missions, each with a defined objective, an added twist. Closest to that would be 1-3-0, From the Deep, Hold the Line and Under the Dark's first half.

For example, in Mission 11 I should play regular Domination against the enemy, but also:
Start with my base being attacked by 3 waves of enemies, but having control only of my Spartans, a Scorpion and a Wolverine
Hold back Banished waves consisting on multiple unit types attacking my base
Deal with an unkillable Giant-ass Sentinel roaming the map (If I'm lucky, it won't destroy my half-health base as soon as it appears)
Receive more enemy infantry on capture points than I can take care of
Put up with the Death Beams that can reduce my whole population to 0 in 5 seconds
Optionally save a friendly base, if I'm not too busy from crying on the floor
One of these would be tough too, but manageable. I don't mind some multitasking, but this seems harsh, even for Legendary. At least give me the resources to be able to counter all these enemies.

Were the optional objectives tuned for Easy difficulty?

Holo could be a good counter against leader powers, but I couldn't really bait with it yet, it also takes way too long to separate Holograms to sacrifice from my real units.

I think I'm going to do the following: Drop Heroic, finish on normal/easy, collect the stuff on easy, then jump to Legendary with all helper skulls.

Okay, this must be a joke. I remember the Arcadia stuff from HW1 wasn't easy, but with the right tactics, it could be done without sacrifcing 10 units in each fight. Shield World wasn't that bad either, if you built the counters. With how fast I'm losing units, Veterancy shouldn't even matter, a 2 star Scorpion will be blasted away by Cleansing the same way as a newbie. The Campaign feels like an aftertought to the multiplayer.

HW1 had some cool, memorable missions, each with a defined objective, an added twist. Closest to that would be 1-3-0, From the Deep, Hold the Line and Under the Dark's first half.

For example, in Mission 11 I should play regular Domination against the enemy, but also:
Start with my base being attacked by 3 waves of enemies, but having control only of my Spartans, a Scorpion and a Wolverine
Hold back Banished waves consisting on multiple unit types attacking my base
Deal with an unkillable Giant-ass Sentinel roaming the map (If I'm lucky, it won't destroy my half-health base as soon as it appears)
Receive more enemy infantry on capture points than I can take care of
Put up with the Death Beams that can reduce my whole population to 0 in 5 seconds
Optionally save a friendly base, if I'm not too busy from crying on the floor
One of these would be tough too, but manageable. I don't mind some multitasking, but this seems harsh, even for Legendary. At least give me the resources to be able to counter all these enemies.

Were the optional objectives tuned for Easy difficulty?

Holo could be a good counter against leader powers, but I couldn't really bait with it yet, it also takes way too long to separate Holograms to sacrifice from my real units.

I think I'm going to do the following: Drop Heroic, finish on normal/easy, collect the stuff on easy, then jump to Legendary with all helper skulls.

Mission 11 is garbage on Normal difficulty too....

Game plays great but Cutter is a total disappointment. ODST recharge is terrible, no MAC and no Elephant.

I was also testing out some UNSC units in a straight up 1v1 against covenant units and the Jetpack Brutes are OP as all hell.

1v1 they destroy Hellbringers, Marines, Cyclops and even ODST without even losing half health. ODST are elite infantry, that recharge in 3 freaking minutes and you can't even build them, you have to wait 3 minutes minimum, unlike the first Halo Wars where they recharge in about 10 seconds.

Keep in mind that the Jetpack brutes are anti-building. Extremely unbalanced.

B3N1

Mission 11 is garbage on Normal difficulty too....

It's not that bad.

Strategy:
I put 3 Wolverines, a Kodiak, Cyclops and 2 Snipers on the ridge west to the base. Alice into the Garrison in the Western base of the ridge. Took the NE power node with a single sniper + Jerome.

The Chieftain dies easily on Normal, didn't spam that many leader powers too, but baited him with Holo, had some leftover Flamethrowers, added some Kodiak support + leftover Scorpion to clean up point A.

Now that I had A, the enemy kept raiding it every minute. Wolverines are terrible here, kept them for the Sentinel. What worked was 2 Kodiaks a bit further from the base, and Douglas, accompanied with ODST's whenever I could use them. Later some rocket Marines, purely for taking out Engineers, and providing vision for the Kodiaks.

For B-C points, best is to go follow the Sentinel, as it clears them all out, ready for the taking. I Garrisoned Jerome on the Western one, dropped some ODSTs or a turret when things got heated, thoough Sentinel usually helped. The eastern point is trickier, it's less visited by the Sentinel, but for me the Brutes didn't care much either. As one last push, they nearly took it, but I managed to keep it with a turret.

At ~2500 points, the enemy raided with Banshees, Alice could keep them at bay until I created some Wolverines, but the Sentinel cleaned them up by the time I got there.

Scoring didn't help. You're not awarded for being in the lead, but for holding the points. So having capture advantage is not enough, I had to do full Domination to make a comeback.

Ended up with 3000-2940. Definitely starts out rough, but Normal felt fair enough and doable to me.

Caayn

A few bugs I've encountered, UI related:

1) In skirmish with friends, if a friends transfers you resources it'll say your own gamertag instead of the gamertag if your friend.
2) When select all units unit groups can be doubled in the UI in the left bottom part of the screen. For example I had three Condors, selecting all of them sometimes resulted in there being two groups of three Condors each being displayed in the UI.
3) I haven't completed any missions yet. However when I enter the main menu a pop-up appears congratulating me for completing "The Signal" mission and that I'm awarded a Blitz card pack.

Gameplay related:
1) In strongholds the AI can built a base on a stronghold before you can even select it.

Spasm

That requires you to research a tech level like HW1. It's the top slot on the main HQ building of your base (which I didn't even notice you had on that map until halfway in).
The colors of the icons by units aren't requirements but rather what they are good/bad against, green being good, yellow ok, red bad, grey can't shoot it.
God dammit, me neither. I had all my other buildings built and fully upgraded. Thanks.

iFirez

God damn I love this game... just playing Skirmish all day is a blast.

18-02-2017_14-01-57fvpe2.png

A.I. is fucking brutal. Skirmish on Heroic, I'll get enemies bum-rushing me with a huge army while I'm still trying to make enough resources.

Tecnniqe

Banned
A.I. is fucking brutal. Skirmish on Heroic, I'll get enemies bum-rushing me with a huge army while I'm still trying to make enough resources.

I'm enjoying the 3v3 AI matchmade ones. Brutal AF.

Sadly the weekly to win coop versus AI don't trigger and the victories against AI count as losses. Sad as my weekly
RUSH
Win one match-made team Deathmatch or Domination game VS the AI in sixteen minutes or less.
is literally impossible.

I'm enjoying the 3v3 AI matchmade ones. Brutal AF.

Sadly the weekly to win coop versus AI don't trigger and the victories against AI count as losses. Sad as my weekly

is literally impossible.
Yeah, I tried a couple and we got fucking annihilated after ten minutes, every time. I won't even have Hornets up and I'll get rushed by Locust. Heck, I even had an enemy build a Scarab one time, ridiculous. :lol

I only really care about Halo Wars 2 for the story. Is it worth getting this game as someone who has played every other Halo game? In college now and a bit strapped for money but I dont want to skip out on a Halo game if its vital to the universe?
It is in no way essential. In fact, it's incredibly disappointing. Nothing consequential happens, at all.

Caayn

Is it me or do units seem to have a will of their own at times? Path finding for units also seems weird at times.

How the fuck are you going to do mission 8 on heroic? You aint gonna get anything tier 3 in like 8 minutes due to starting lower tech there, and you have to do it with just basic units, and they want you to do the optional objective
of not losing one barricade
?

I haven’t had too much time to play because of work. However, the one thing that is bothering me a lot are the keyboard/mouse controls. They just feel so bad…

It feels sluggish and unresponsive at times. There is also no feedback. For example, I’ll be double clicking on the mini map. Sometimes it works and others it doesn’t. How you fuck up keyboard/mouse is beyond me. I have some other complaints, but that is the main one.

My Impressions now after finishing it.

Pro:
- The Artstyle is big stepup from Halo 5 and more in line with classic Halo

Cons:
- Wow the mission structure is just awful. They were maybe 2 or so missions that really felt like a proper Campaign mission, almost all other missions are just MP modes...
- Controls are clunky
- Story is very very thin and doesnt really move anything forward (
yay Guadian scene..
)
- A lot less BLUR Cutscenes, HW1 had a Cutscene after every Campaign Mission!
- A lot is told through the ingame dialog
- Unfair difficulty spikes on normal...
- A lot of bugs

Overall the game feels really unfinished and rushed.

I dont have anything more postitive to say sadly. Cant really understand this prerelease reviews who hyped it.

I don't really like it… the art style is in all honesty fairly horrible but outside of that everything feel so slow and also really weak no matter what updates you get.

I don't think Ensemble would've made a sequel anything like this, maybe it'll grow on me idk

The art style is one of the things I do like about the game. It feels very Halo. It’s much better than H4 or H5. Vibrant and colorful, it reminders me of Bungie’s art style.

CyReN

Everything Dan Ayoub touches is a buggy mess it seems, good lord.

Not that I think he's personally coding / testing stuff, but after MCC it's quite sad.

REV 09

Haven't played much campaign. Been mainly doing 3v3 vs ai. The ai is tough though and sometimes I think I may actually play better against real people.

The game seems deeper than HW, but at the same time it feels less rock-paper-scissory. So far it seems like to knock enemies out you need to get to scarabs or condors. Everything else just kinda mashes together. I'm probably just not using all the tools effectively yet though. Off map support is much deeper than he first game and I often don't think to use it correctly.

Overall I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I also like the art style.

At 13 minutes they used a leader power and killed everything I had...

AI using leader powers in campaign like that is incredibly dumb as even moving them away the power laser follows fast enough.

It takes away the "strategy" part of the game. In strategy games you work out solutions to deal with things threw at you by your opponent, and AI leader power spam like that simply removes the "solution" part because there is nothing you can do with them.

B3N1

I haven’t had too much time to play because of work. However, the one thing that is bothering me a lot are the keyboard/mouse controls. They just feel so bad…

It feels sluggish and unresponsive at times. There is also no feedback. For example, I’ll be double clicking on the mini map. Sometimes it works and others it doesn’t. How you fuck up keyboard/mouse is beyond me. I have some other complaints, but that is the main one.

Controller is the same too. Interesting, because in HW1 it's tight.

Did they properly playtested this?

4 Cyclopses would melt that, added with the Turrets built along the way.

aka_bueno

I need some PC friends to play this with, where ya'll at? I want to try the co-op and blitz shenanigans. GT is
aka Bueno

Tecnniqe

Banned
It takes away the "strategy" part of the game. In strategy games you work out solutions to deal with things threw at you by your opponent, and AI leader power spam like that simply removes the "solution" part because there is nothing you can do with them.

Just made it to 4 minutes left.

Got thrown out of game due to lost connection to Halo Wars 2 Servers.

This is incredible. Literally ruining my legendary experience.

Fuck sake 343.

Christ.

Hawk269

Not sure if was posted, but looking at the Store on the PC they added more DLC. It currently is showing as not available, but they are Blitz Card Packs for each leader. Sounds like it will be similar to the Forge Blitz Packs we received as part of getting Forge. No prices are listed, but it shows one for each of the current leaders. In addition, they added a $2.99 Blitz pack which is 3 packs with guaranteed uncommon or higher in the pack.

Werd

There are definitely a lot of bugs and issues that need to be addressed, balance fixed (some leader powers particularly), and the campaign mission design does seem mundane so far, but I'm surprised to see so much negativity on the gameplay itself. I didn't play the first beta but most of the comments I'd read over the last few months seemed to reflect positively towards the gameplay there(while noting it was a technical mess). Maybe it's just the fact that I've played mostly on the PC where it controls so much better than HW1 on a controller regardless of the fact that it's missing features from other PC RTS. I liked Halo Wars 1, but I also remember units stuck in near complete grid-lock and design decisions that had most people just spamming one unit. Which might still be the case in HW2, too early to tell but the upgrade structure doesn't encourage it as much. But I have played a ton of SC2 which controls near flawlessly, so obviously I know HW1 isn't the standard.

Anyway, for some positives... I like the unit mix that includes more real support units, the variety in unit abilities that do exist, variety and utility nature of various leader powers. Control options/PC UI are limited and unintuitive, but personally I was able to work out some hotkeys and feel I can control it pretty well now. I like the mix of modes. I haven't had significant UI or pathing issues. The first day I had some kind of performance issue in MP, but it's been running smooth since and looking good in 4K.

I also think a lot of people dismiss Blitz too quickly, it grew on me over the beta and playing 10 or so games of it so far in the final it continues to. I think the base design of the game type with the energy collection/rate system, healing available, special unit functions like blast/guard/rally, etc. is legitimately good. It doesn't have much overall strategy, but it has a lot of small tactics and multi-tasking once you match up with some better players. I played a game yesterday where I spent the first half of the game completely avoiding a large fight because I knew he had the stronger army straight up, but winning by being faster on the energy, picking off the splinter groups he had out and taking points the second he left them uncontested or lightly defended. Then the energy advantage builds up and I can take the fight to seal the game. That was a fun game, for me at least. In another 1v1 we had fights going on at all 3 control points at once while also healing/picking up energy. Another fun trick is drawing their attention to one fight then dropping a blast unit into the middle of their main army while they aren't watching. Granted a lot of that is more apparent playing 1v1 than 2v2/3v3 where you get one person sitting on each control point/covering one side of energy a lot.

TLDR there is a ton of stuff that needs to be cleaned up and it does effect how much I could recommend the game to other people right now, but I still think the core gameplay/design is solid and with proper post-launch support it will end up delivering for me. Signs look decent so far with the promise of free DLC maps, an incoming ranking system and a schedule on season pass content announcements.
Not sure if was posted, but looking at the Store on the PC they added more DLC. It currently is showing as not available, but they are Blitz Card Packs for each leader. Sounds like it will be similar to the Forge Blitz Packs we received as part of getting Forge. No prices are listed, but it shows one for each of the current leaders. In addition, they added a $2.99 Blitz pack which is 3 packs with guaranteed uncommon or higher in the pack.

I dislike this because it lets people focus all their leveling on one deck, it will be much cheaper to have a handful of higher level cards.

Top Bottom