• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Kinda sucks that this game just released and isn't even top streamed on twitch for at least a day. But I guess that comes with the territory of being an rts game in 2017 :(

B3N1

Did you try to restart the game? I have this as well sometimes, restarting the game fixes it for me.

I got used to not doing suspend/resume in HW:DE, it messed up my Mr. Punctual achievement. Seeing the state HW2 is in, I'm taking the same route. Challanges aren't fully loaded, and the notification pops up every 10 seconds of successful reconnect and then about the disconnect.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Finally both done
QR1Gl39.png

Werd

1.36 gb patch downloading on PC.
4.91 gb for HW:DE.

edit: Ske7ch post.
"I don't have the patch notes yet but will get them posted to Waypoint ASAP. For context is this really a "day one" patch that's already out on Xbox One but was slightly delayed for PC. It has a few fixes but pre-dates launch so it's not specifically addressing some of the more frequent issues being reported since release. A much more substantial patch for Xbox One & PC is about to go into cert and once it does I'll get those patch notes posted on Waypoint."

B3N1

Just had a run in with an Anders and Sentinels in 2v2. Luckily I was Forge and she had to festory a base and 2 minibases, so I could repel the attack with 10 or so Wolverines. Then came a wave of Sentinels with a Condor, me being low a on supplies. Then 2 Condors, where I had to dish out Marines out of my last resources. They got melted. I could then retake the base, kill another Condor with ~10 Marines + 4-5 Wolverines, built the base while holding Sentinels off with the Marines and pushed all the way to their base. I was pretty lucky as my teammate was having a 1v1 too with the other enemy. In the end it seemed like they just gave up.

TL;DR: Rocket Marines are pretty damn good.

Forge's skill where he recycles lost units is top tier too. It sort of doubled the number of Wolverines when she raided my base with the 2 Condors.

vsMIC

holy sh...

just had a intense 1/5 hours 2v2 match in which the endgame consisted of marine vs. grunts spam match on max population and tech. tanks were not really an option, as they went down quickly in the masses of grunts. it was just a constant stream of infantry reinforcements crossing the battlefield in the fight for the last 2/3 bases. we won due to better economy.

but that was something else... really irritating.

R aka Bon

WTF

i tried to redeem the prepaid code for HW:DE for PC, and it says "Gears of War"....

jmRH7Kj.png

what, that's funny

Was playing strongholds and i think the game was running 1 fps, first time i witnessed that, it was there for like around 10 sec then everything went back to normal again, lol

Danny 117

Rushing in with Anders' sentinels is so funny lol. It's the best when they don't see it coming. I killed off all 3 of the other team within 9 minutes on my own. Lol

dLMN8R

cant download this fucking patch for pc. just sits at installing 26.11mb.

You should let it sit. Sometimes it takes a while to determine what does and doesn't need to download for updates, since the windows store does delta update downloads.

If you check task manager you'll probably see CPU or disk activity as that process happens.

I've really been enjoying the firefight mode, it's just something nice to kick back and play at the end of the day. I just wish it had some kind of reward for doing them besides achievements.

Thewonandonly

Never played a RTS before but I have always thought this looked cool and loved halo. So would this be a good start I'm not a fan of Xcom would I like this :)

Memory

I've really been enjoying the firefight mode, it's just something nice to kick back and play at the end of the day. I just wish it had some kind of reward for doing them besides achievements.

I prefer it to blitz versus matches. There is no reward as the want you doing pvp to make the game have a healthy population. If you could farm cards in Firefight half the pop would be playing it solo.
Its a common theme with vs AI modes which sucks for those of us who prefer to play with real friends or AI instead of randoms. Gears Horde mode does it well but i guess they saw the metrics and didn't like them.

Unity2012

Never played a RTS before but I have always thought this looked cool and loved halo. So would this be a good start I'm not a fan of Xcom would I like this :)
I'd say most probably yes. Xcom is turn based and it is a whole different game. Halo wars is closer to a traditional base building - rock, paper, scissor style. It has a good tutorial plus a SP campaign that also teaches how to play;and plenty of modes to find your right spot.

_DrMario_

Downloaded the patch and now all I get is a black screen. Fantastic.

edit: Oh I guess it only take forever to load the start screen for some reason now.

TheXbox

Finished the game. Two thoughts:

1. Great campaign that gets cut short as soon as it hits it's stride. Bummer.

Halo is the LAST series that should make the mistake of having an abrupt cliffhanger, and 343 have now done it twice. Come on. They should know better.

Does the game not handle players leaving properly? Second game tonight where someone left and I got "disconnected" as I was winning.

Poster#1

HW2 patch notes for PC 1.36 GB

Hello - A game update is rolling out today for Halo Wars 2 on Windows 10. This is essentially a "day one" update that was slightly delayed for PC and while it includes a number of improvements it does not directly address many of the issues reported by some players since the game launched. The team is working on a substantial patch for Xbox One and Windows 10 that is close to being handed off to certification at which point we will share patch notes here in this thread. The team is pushing hard and fast to get these updates into the game as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback and patience.

Halo Wars 2 Windows 10 Update - Feb. 22
Please note that this same update was released on Xbox One last week.

[Campaign] - Optional objective "Complete the mission with under 50% damage" on Prologue 01 has been fixed
[Campaign] - Mission 08 - Fixed an issue where loading a save created shortly after the
Spoiler:Show
returns would cause the unit to idle and not correctly path between the Domination points.
[Campaign] - Mission 05 will no longer fail when the Particle Cannon is destroyed
[Campaign] - Fixed an issue where completing objectives in a mission, saving and loading, and then completing the mission resulted in the number of completed optional and bonus objectives being misreported on the missions log.
[Campaign] - Fixed an issue where "Restart from Checkpoint" and "Load Game" options do not appear on Mission Failed Screen.
Scarab minimum range has been adjusted to more effectively engage units that are very close to it
Uber Units can no longer be built by the AI in Skirmish on Easy & Normal difficulty
Blitz card hand input speed has been increased
Fixed an issue where game audio could sometimes be distorted when a lot of units are in play
Fixed an issue where pressing Alt+Enter to enter full screen and then again to exit full screen just as the client launches, just prior to the Xbox app displaying, can result in a crash.
Fixed an issue where closing the Min. Spec dialog box could result in a crash
Join a 2v2 match with your favorite deck for Blitz Quickmatch
KNOWN ISSUES: Please note that with the introduction of this update some players may experience a longer initial black screen during game launch.

Please stay tuned for the next upcoming update for Xbox One and Windows 10 which includes a significant number of fixes and improvements

After the patch, when you click Main Menu after MP match the game crashes.

Also, HW:DE patch is up. ~4 gb

Werd

This update... even after a reset the black screen mentioned seems to occur every single time you load the game and lasts 30 seconds. The game crashes almost every time after completing a mission and trying to exit to the main menu.

At least they possible fixed the optional/bonus objective thing I mentioned earlier.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Anders scares me in multiplayer
:D
This update... even after a reset the black screen mentioned seems to occur every single time you load the game and lasts 30 seconds. The game crashes almost every time after completing a mission and trying to exit to the main menu.

At least they possible fixed the optional/bonus objective thing I mentioned earlier.
Oh man, that's not good

Bsigg12

Finished the game. Two thoughts:

1. Great campaign that gets cut short as soon as it hits it's stride. Bummer.

Halo is the LAST series that should make the mistake of having an abrupt cliffhanger, and 343 have now done it twice. Come on. They should know better.

Yep I feel the same way.

Really enjoyed the campaign and the different ways they came up with missions.

Proelite

Rebooting did nothing. FML.

EDIT:

Got error code from Event Viewer.

- EventData

AppId Microsoft.HoganThreshold_8wekyb3d8bbwe!xgame.App
ContractId Windows.Launch
ErrorCode -2144927141

Werd

Seems like it crashes any time trying to go from game to main menu, so MP matches too not just campaign like I had earlier. Then you get to wait a minute for it to load between the normal loading and black screen. I'm pretty positive on the game but come on already, the first patch can't make the game worse. Hopefully the larger post-launch patch gets through cert fast.
Crashing on both X1 and PC after update?

I'm gonna be super pissed if I can't do my daily.... Need that achievement :3

The one per day of the week one? I didn't get it and I'm through 8 sets of them now starting last Thursday afternoon before the daily reset. It still reads 0% unlocked in the app too.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Seems like it crashes any time trying to go from game to main menu, so MP matches too not just campaign like I had earlier. Then you get to wait a minute for it to load between the normal loading and black screen. I'm pretty positive on the game but come on already, the first patch can't make the game worse. Hopefully the larger post-launch patch gets through cert fast.

The one per day of the week one? I didn't get it and I'm through 8 sets of them now starting last Thursday afternoon before the daily reset. It still reads 0% unlocked in the app too.
Yeah that's the one. Damn if it's broken tho :(

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Even the achievements are bugged in this game, I definitely have not played as Shipmaster 9 times(which was my last weekly to do)...yet I get the achievement for doing 3 weekly challenges in one week. I'm not really complainin, but still..lol.

Blitz is life, been sittin on campaign till my friend I'm doing co-op with gets back from a trip, which is tomorrow!

I really wish ODST drops did more damage on enemy units, they really dont seem to do much. Such a stark contrast to the "Know Your Enemy" trailer where they crush some Blisterbacks.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Even the achievements are bugged in this game, I definitely have not played as Shipmaster 9 times(which was my last weekly to do)...yet I get the achievement for doing 3 weekly challenges in one week. I'm not really complainin, but still..lol.

Blitz is life, been sittin on campaign till my friend I'm doing co-op with gets back from a trip, which is tomorrow!

I really wish ODST drops did more damage on enemy units, they really dont seem to do much. Such a stark contrast to the "Know Your Enemy" trailer where they crush some Blisterbacks.
It counts previous week too for some reason.

ODST is pretty king in Blitz but they have shit range elsewhere

Lom1lo

So after a few more blitz matches, I have to say: this is good shit. I got a spartan with isable and those are just lol, capturing a vulture or scorpion is fun :D

FyreWulff

Just finished so now I can safely look at this thread.

Man that ending is sudden.

But overall, the campaign was a good build, more complex and interesting than 1's missions, while still respecting the work Ensemble put out.

Also goddamn at the Forerunner Knife scene.

Top Bottom