• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Tecnniqe

Banned
The beauty that is Sentinels. I think I've found the Hawks of the golden age of HW1.

https://youtu.be/XI_lpmeDCmE
67b.jpg

Personally I think Shipmaster banshee rush is MVP

Werd

Well, I played a lot the last day, mostly 2v2 or 3v3 this time and finally put some more time in Deathmatch. Only two total disconnects on my teams, both the same friend. One caused a loss, still held on to the other. Really liking the game at this point, rare case where a game has as many varied modes and I actually like them all.

One thing playing more of the "real" modes had me thinking about is the change to the economy away from heavily diminishing returns on supply pads. Not sure if there are any at all right now besides the generator cost increase. Other RTS mine out resources and HW1 kept the economy artificially low, but HW2's infinite resource pads and high income makes late game armies feel pretty disposable and less of a big moment to take out. Also combined with the inability to produce units away from base the need for constant production limits how much micro I can take time to do.

But it has upsides too - keeps games in a more constant state of action, allows comebacks, etc. and obviously getting great army trades is still going to eventually win the game through taking out expansions, being able to use the extra money on more leader powers/tech/upgrades, just gaining a good position to take out their main base and such.

Also I teamed up in 2v2s with the first person to beat me in Blitz and that felt guiltily unfair vs lower level randoms, 6 shutouts in 7 games(last one was 200-50). But it was fun.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes, working great! RTS games normally stress me out, but having someone else there is really nice.
Yeah coop is sweet.
Had a friend over during Christmas to beat the DE and had them over again on Friday for the weekend to play the continuation. It's a lot of fun, especially when you can slap each other around for losing an entire army to OPBeam :D

Campaign is good solo, better coop.

Now all that needs fixerupper is Firefight gains.

Jubbly

Has anyone encountered a bug where the AI Skirmish bots on your team don't build units, only buildings, and occasionally use a hero power? I just played a match where they did that, and the enemy AI sent Scarab after Scarab at me...

DzdETBJ.png

Vexii

Anyone feel like the lines begin to blur where 343 Industries ends and The Coalition begins? Were it not for Spartan Armor and other Halo icons, I'd think I was watching a few Gears of War cutscenes.

Had the game DC me and my buddy yesterday during Blitz Co-Op Firefight. Was really disappointing as we were about 29 minutes 30 seconds in. We were still in party chat so we weren't sure what caused it.

Glad to see brute hammer units still do tons of damage and also glad to see properly macro'd wraiths can easily dodge them. I'm hoping the mid/early game meta for standard deathmatch hasn't changed too much in terms from the first game as that was one of the funnest parts of the first game

DocSeuss

This game on PC is really, really bad in so many ways. Finally figured out the escape menu was bound to... F10. Who does that? Bunch of other stuff. Really wish someone had sat down and walked them through UI, because it's atrocious. Basic clicking on things doesn't always seem to work right too. Like, jfc, guys, I just want to send units to part of the map by right clicking on my minimap, or hey, I just want to select one individual unit, how hard is that? apparently very hard.

wtf CA. You've made better games. How did you ship this?

Anyone feel like the lines begin to blur where 343 Industries ends and The Coalition begins? Were it not for Spartan Armor and other Halo icons, I'd think I was watching a few Gears of War cutscenes.

No, having just finished Gears 4's campaign again the other day. Completely different in every way.

Very, Very Blur tho.

zeox

This game on PC is really, really bad in so many ways. Finally figured out the escape menu was bound to... F10. Who does that? Bunch of other stuff. Really wish someone had sat down and walked them through UI, because it's atrocious. Basic clicking on things doesn't always seem to work right too. Like, jfc, guys, I just want to send units to part of the map by right clicking on my minimap, or hey, I just want to select one individual unit, how hard is that? apparently very hard.

wtf CA. You've made better games. How did you ship this?.

to the bolded: it's an RTS standard, since esc is used for deselecting. it's been a standard for 20 years now.

I agree with everything else. The stuff that annoy me the most are parts where they completely shy away from RTS standards.
Ctrl-cliking not being a thing.
No hold position.
Shift+# adds units to the given control group. Awesome! It also removes units from the given control group. Not so awesome.
Macroing is awful (although it is slightly alleviated by using camera location hotkeys, which are a pleasant suprise in their own right)

Tons of stuff like this makes it difficult to play with a kb/m, especially since the game is actually pretty good and fun. Hopefully there will be a patch soon that fixes some of these issues

B3N1

to the bolded: it's an RTS standard, since esc is used for deselecting. it's been a standard for 20 years now.

I agree with everything else. The stuff that annoy me the most are parts where they completely shy away from RTS standards.
No hold position.
Shift+# adds units to the given control group. Awesome! It also removes units from the given control group. Not so awesome.
Macroing is awful (although it is slightly alleviated by using camera location hotkeys, which are a pleasant suprise in their own right)

Tons of stuff like this makes it difficult to play with a kb/m, especially since the game is actually pretty good and fun. Hopefully there will be a patch soon that fixes some of these issues

On top of this, they missed to recreate the HW1 controls on Console. Functionalities are moved/replaced from the HW layout, and they added a modifier layer on the unit selector Right Trigger. While this can be useful, it makes selecting between unit types clunky.

The Leader circle could be moved to D-Pad UP, and LB/LT could perfectly function as a layer switcher.

Not sure how useful the circle menu is on PC, but for controllers, it has a bit too many options to use it precisely. Even on screens, where only half of it is a real functionality.

Tecnniqe

Banned

No hold position.

My biggest issue is the transparent minimap that occur all the time on PC. The rest is clunky and frustrating at time but I can deal with it. The minimap however is crucial and most of the time takes multiple clicks or it simply selects things behind it or nothing happens clicking it at all.

m23

Had the game DC me and my buddy yesterday during Blitz Co-Op Firefight. Was really disappointing as we were about 29 minutes 30 seconds in. We were still in party chat so we weren't sure what caused it.

Glad to see brute hammer units still do tons of damage and also glad to see properly macro'd wraiths can easily dodge them. I'm hoping the mid/early game meta for standard deathmatch hasn't changed too much in terms from the first game as that was one of the funnest parts of the first game

Yeah that was disappointing.

zeox

Not sure how useful the circle menu is on PC, but for controllers, it has a bit too many options to use it precisely. Even on screens, where only half of it is a real functionality.

Radial menus on PC are generally terrible. I haven't really had much problems with this one personally though.

My biggest issue is the transparent minimap that occur all the time on PC. The rest is clunky and frustrating at time but I can deal with it. The minimap however is crucial and most of the time takes multiple clicks or it simply selects things behind it or nothing happens clicking it at all.

Oh god, I completely forgot about the minimap being borked. I guess I'd just surpressed it :/.
Yeah, that shit needs to be fixed ASAP

None of the cutscenes want to play for me on XB1. Won't even work in theatre mode. Anyone else had this issue?

I was on the halo wars sub reddit and a person reinstalled and it fixed this exact issue. Might not be the same but figured I'd let you know

BondFancy

Am I right in seeing that the sentinal rush shown here is over 19 minutes into a battle? yeah they look OP but it's taken 19 minutes to get there.
I could've gotten that out at 10-12 minutes. I was waiting to see what my teammate was doing and taking my time as they were low level. I know it's possible as someone did it to me at that 10-12 min mark.

The more fun thing is it confuses the ever living fuck out of someone when their fully upgraded base is trashed in 5 minutes. Made the other teammate rage quit lol!

Radial menus on PC are generally terrible. I haven't really had much problems with this one personally though.

Is there no keyboard shortcuts for the radial menu? If not that seems like a missed opportunity to give PC players more choice in how to control their game. Examples would be:
-6 keys for different options on the radial
-Independent buttons for different bindings

vsMIC

I could've gotten that out at 10-12 minutes. I was waiting to see what my teammate was doing and taking my time as they were low level. I know it's possible as someone did it to me at that 10-12 min mark.

The more fun thing is it confuses the ever living fuck out of someone when their fully upgraded base is trashed in 5 minutes. Made the other teammate rage quit lol!

On 3v3 deathmatch we combine a 2player marine rush and 1p sentinel pump strategy. The marines rush aims to to eliminate one opponent early at the 5-7 minute mark (usually first target is always Anders or Atriox). Latest around minute 10 the marines are usually dead. But the sentinel army of p3 is at (almost) full strenght then eliminating the second player (best case). the other two team mates meanwhile switched to pumping vehicles to take on the remaining opponent then.

So far it works quite ok, but I am sure there are better strategies.

R aka Bon

Yes i was playing strongholds with someone around lvl 17 i think, and that person wasn't capturing the strongholds or anything, unlike me who played the objective. Then out of nowhere all the enemy bases got destroyed by, you guessed it by sentinels and we won.

zeox

Is there no keyboard shortcuts for the radial menu? If not that seems like a missed opportunity to give PC players more choice in how to control their game. Examples would be:
-6 keys for different options on the radial
-Independent buttons for different bindings

there are hotkeys for the radial menu, which is exactly why I don't have a problem with it in this game :).

Fuchsdh

Considering the common I guess marine-cyclops would do the trick.

Cyclops are probably the biggest buffed unit compared to the previous games. Especially once you upgrade their weaponry they absolutely tear apart vehicles.

Still dunno why Cobras randomly got a rename, though.

m23

Cyclops are probably the biggest buffed unit compared to the previous games. Especially once you upgrade their weaponry they absolutely tear apart vehicles.

Still dunno why Cobras randomly got a rename, though.

Are cobras in the game?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sentinels isn't all that strong vs marines + throw a few flamethrowers in vs banished as they lack some good early anti inf imo.

Cyclops are a good counter for vehicles of all sizes and shred them so an early scout to see if airfield, barracks or garage should show the pick of units.

Omni

So uhh started playing this tonight. Finished the first two missions

Wanted to watch the first cutscene and noticed that by DEFAULT, the ending cutscene was unlocked and available to view. What the hell. The game literally spoiled itself to me

RedStep

Wanted to watch the first cutscene and noticed that by DEFAULT, the ending cutscene was unlocked and available to view. What the hell. The game literally spoiled itself to me

Had the same thing - I didn't check the numbers and assumed there was a "prologue" cutscene or something. Saw the last scene before I'd even started the game. Oh well.

Danny 117

Yeah lol, so stupid. It's not like the thumbnail is ambiguous either- it's a pretty clear spoiler.

Hawk269

Yeah lol, so stupid. It's not like the thumbnail is ambiguous either- it's a pretty clear spoiler.
It is a known bug amongst many others. Not many game breaking bugs but irritating stuff like some units getting lost or nothe responding etc.

I am looking forward to the first Balance patch. Lots of nerfs needed as some thins are way over powered.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It is a known bug amongst many others. Not many game breaking bugs but irritating stuff like some units getting lost or nothe responding etc.

I am looking forward to the first Balance patch. Lots of nerfs needed as some thins are way over powered.

RIP Anders

Caayn

How are you supposed to get all bonus objectives in under the dark. You're not allowed to lose one Kodiak, but the AI drops their death beam on them no matter where you place them. Resulting in practical insta-death as Kodaiks aren't fast enough to outrun the beam and aren't strong enough to withstand one, even with lvl3 restoration drones on them.

The AI also seems to ignore cooldown timers and is able to spawn multiple death beams at once.

I also encountered this visual bug (action at 13 seconds in): http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Caayn Dragon/video/27389482

Edit

I don't mind that there are less cutscenes, as the cutscenes that are there are longer. The cutscene at the end of under the dark is epic.

Fuchsdh

How are you supposed to get all bonus objectives in under the dark. You're not allowed to lose one Kodiak, but the AI drops their death beam on them no matter where you place them. Resulting in practical insta-death as Kodaiks aren't fast enough to outrun the beam and aren't strong enough to withstand one, even with lvl3 restoration drones on them.

The AI also seems to ignore cooldown timers and is able to spawn multiple death beams at once.

I also encountered this visual bug (action at 13 seconds in): http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Caayn Dragon/video/27389482

Like with gold medals, I assume saving your sanity and doing it on easy or normal.

B3N1

But Cobras were anti vehicle, aren't Kodiaks anti infantry?

I think they're anti-infantry by nature (as vehicles), but by stats they're green against anything but air. I'm guessing they didn't want to repurpose Cobras, also artillery translates better than Cobras in these new maps with lot of verticality. I didn't like the removal of Cobras at first, as they were my favorite unit in the first game, but I see reason in it. Who knows, maybe they'll be back with a DLC. I still see other units shooting through ledges, imagine that with cobras.

On Easy they don't spam. I did all the bonuses, optionals and gold medals on that.

Anyone else unable to connect to Halo Wars services?

Top Bottom