• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

m23

Weird, think I've been on this loading screen for 10 minutes now for Domination...

Wonder if they win without me or something.

I'm sitting here at work waiting to get home so I can play and here you are talking about playing the game right now. I hate you.

NavNucST3

My son has never played an RTS before and he is completely hooked on Blitz. He's researching deck builds and working through which leader he wants to play with so from this perspective 2 seems to be successful in my household. I'm definitely experiencing irritating issues like pathway and non responsiveness and "controller disconnected" when resuming from suspend but I find the game enjoyable for the most part these loooong skirmish battles though whew I've just bailed on a couple games due to length.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Your sentinel rush ain't got notthin' on Cutter ya silly goose.
5CPXp5I.jpg

FyreWulff

Yeah I'd definitely started to run into a bug where maybe once in every 10 ish matches/missions some units will unexpectedly stop pathing. they just stand in place and "jiggle"

What are your guys' thoughts on the HW2 soundtrack?

To keep my opinion short, I like the way it calls back to some HW1 tracks and its an overall very powerful soundtrack, but its forgettable and not very Halo at all, more Star Wars, lord of the rings and other Movie soundtracks then anything, shame Halo's music is going down this route because if I can't recall the tunes of a game its going to be forgettable to me in time.

I'll be adding some of the tracks from Disc 1 to my Halo 5 Firefight playlist, those were the Tracks I can really vibe and fight to but the grand majority of the soundtrack can and will be forgotten about (esp. Disc 2, most of it is a waste honestly unless you like the ambiance tracks Spartan Strike and Assault provided).

I hope Halo's music can be brought back to something more memorable and ditch this whole Orchestral route (at least the Grand/ Hollywood Orchestral type)

Caayn

Bug number I lost the count: I lost the ability to move Spartan Alice, halfway through mission 10 she stopped moving. I could only move her when she was inside a hijacked vehicle.

To keep my opinion short, I like the way it calls back to some HW1 tracks and its an overall very powerful soundtrack, but its forgettable and not very Halo at all, more Star Wars, lord of the rings and other Movie soundtracks then anything, shame Halo's music is going down this route because if I can't recall the tunes of a game its going to be forgettable to me in time.

I'll be adding some of the tracks from Disc 1 to my Halo 5 Firefight playlist, those were the Tracks I can really vibe and fight to but the grand majority of the soundtrack can and will be forgotten about (esp. Disc 2, most of it is a waste honestly unless you like the ambiance tracks Spartan Strike and Assault provided).

I hope Halo's music can be brought back to something more memorable and ditch this whole Orchestral route (at least the Grand/ Hollywood Orchestral type)

It could sound a bit more like Halo here and there. But I love this track..

Been using Shipmaster and while he doesn't have something as flashy as 'Eradicatio', but it does not get old to surprise drop a bunch of Locus in somebody's base.

Scout them out early. Build turrets to fend off a rush, proceed to backdoor with Locus. Get lvl 2 teleport and the other retrieval + heal one and you can annoy the living shit out of someone. If it gets to a later stage you even get the one where you can teleport their army away.. oh, did they backtrack and are coming to stop you? Teleport them to the other side of the map, problem solved.

zeeaykay

Just finished the campaign. That's not a cliffhanger, that's stopping at the end of the second act. I imagine it will be completed with DLC. I don't mind because I bought it, but it really does seem like you won't get the full story unless you do, which is pretty cheap of them.

Toa TAK

Banned
Got mah Halo Wars DE code. Pumped to have the One version, (even though the 360 disk is in my console atm).

Still trying to go through it multiple times, but I really like the Orchestral route they went with this game. Now that isn't what I would've gone with to associate with Halo's sound compared to the rest of the series, but I'm glad they decided to shake it up. I especially like the ambient tracks on the second half like Calculated Risk, Cratered (the menu theme), and Simulacra.

The action beats on the first disk are good, but I'm just really happy they kept Rippy's Spirit of Fire theme in there. It would've been a crime if they had left it out, (and it has a huge impact in the final mission). It's in Recommissioned and Abolition (so far as I know). Overall, I really like it. Powerful tracks, for sure, but I don't think anyone's theme beyond the Spirit of Fire's is going to stick, either. I've pretty much given up on the Halo soundtracks sounding anything as good or memorable as Marty's stuff. While we're at it, I really loved the Rippy's Halo Wars score, so I had kind of hoped he'd come back, but alas.

It could sound a bit more like Halo here and there. But I love this track..

That's got to be my favorite track of the soundtrack as well, along with Abolition, Barren, and Demonslayer.

Fuchsdh

Got mah Halo Wars DE code. Pumped to have the One version, (even though the 360 disk is in my console atm).

Still trying to go through it multiple times, but I really like the Orchestral route they went with this game. Now that isn't what I would've gone with to associate with Halo's sound compared to the rest of the series, but I'm glad they decided to shake it up. I especially like the ambient tracks on the second half like Calculated Risk, Cratered (the menu theme), and Simulacra.

The action beats on the first disk are good, but I'm just really happy they kept Rippy's Spirit of Fire theme in there. It would've been a crime if they had left it out, (and it has a huge impact in the final mission). It's in Recommissioned and Abolition (so far as I know). Overall, I really like it. Powerful tracks, for sure, but I don't think anyone's theme beyond the Spirit of Fire's is going to stick, either. I've pretty much given up on the Halo soundtracks sounding anything as good or memorable as Marty's stuff. While we're at it, I really loved the Rippy's Halo Wars score, so I had kind of hoped he'd come back, but alas.

That's got to be my favorite track of the soundtrack as well, along with Abolition, Barren, and Demonslayer.

I would have liked Rippy to come back just for the continuity as well, but wishes are horses.

I quite like the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack thus far in isolation, but there wasn't anything that immediately grabbed me when I was playing the campaign. I suspect it might be a similar issue as Halo 4, where the sound mixing didn't do the score much justice.

Up to mission 9 on Heroic and I have to say, I'm really enjoying myself.

Should I have started on Normal? Probably. I didn't play the original and haven't played an RTS is almost a decade and as a result, my playtime is up to almost 15 hours of mission failures, save reverts, and general frustration (HOLD THE LINE *mops brow*)

BUT, it's a refreshing change from all the TPSs and FPSs I've played over the past few years.

I'm going to tough it out brehs

Joe

Is the multiplayer in this game casual friendly?

I stopped placing Starcraft 2 because it requires a lot of time and dedication to get pretty good at it.

B3N1

Tried the Sentinels in Domination. Enemy was holding 2/3 points up until they decided to start pushing with their marines. I had the Sentinels stashed already, circled around and melted both bases of one player. I might have been more surprised by it than the enemy, it's insane. Other player was Banished and had Camo on the base, so that took a but more effort but yeah, that shit'a a bit too strong.

After that, the usual Blitz desync at 180-160 came to end on a happy note. I hope this gets fixed soon. It's great we got an open API and shit, but i'd rather finish my 10min long match than look at losses that were resulted by me getting dropped from the game.

I quite like the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack thus far in isolation, but there wasn't anything that immediately grabbed me when I was playing the campaign. I suspect it might be a similar issue as Halo 4, where the sound mixing didn't do the score much justice.

Tactical Error stuck with me while doing the Defense part of 1-3-0. Other than that, yeah, I hardly realize whether there is any music plaing or not.

TheXbox

Gordy Haab's orchestration is rich and layered, but unfortunately gets buried under a lot of thudding, machine gun-esque percussion. Still a few solid new motifs in there, though. He's easily the most adept composer to work on Halo since 343 took over.

I think your criticism of the orchestra is a little strange, because three of Marty's Halo scores were fully orchestrated, and most Hollywood movies are now steering away from symphonic scores. Halo's music stands to gain nothing by going the midi route or by leaning hard on electronics (see the disappointing Neil Davidge score). That's certainly not the sort of musical landscape Marty operated in. Slow tempos, low strings, organic percussion, prog rock influences; that's Halo. Haab is doing something different, but to his credit he does it well.

Omni

I can't remember if I could do this in the original Halo Wars

but can I make a skirmish game with 5 AI and me, with no teams? Like everyone out for themselves

FyreWulff

banker strat from HW1 still works. Where I crawl across the map and just build resource farm bases and inject my teammates with resource sending.

Gordy Haab's orchestration is rich and layered, but unfortunately gets buried under a lot of thudding, machine gun-esque percussion. Still a few solid new motifs in there, though. He's easily the most adept composer to work on Halo since 343 took over.

I think your criticism of the orchestra is a little strange, because three of Marty's Halo scores were fully orchestrated, and most Hollywood movies are now steering away from symphonic scores. Halo's music stands to gain nothing by going the midi route or by leaning hard on electronics (see the disappointing Neil Davidge score).

That's certainly not the sort of musical landscape Marty operated in. Slow tempos, low strings, organic percussion, prog rock influences; that's Halo. Haab is doing something different, but to his credit he does it well.

Like I said, Haab is good but just his stuff isn't very Halo-esque.

I knew of Marty's orchestrated Halo tracks, what I meant was the grand style the last 2 games have been going in, Movie style doesn't fit. Marty's style of orchestrated Halo tracks is what the series should be going in but I would like a mix of what Neil Davidge did too, because some of his work was memorable and Halo shouldn't ditch electronics entirely.

Streaks

After an almost flawless week 1 with the game I've been disconnected like 3/4 of my last 10 which is really annoying considering you put in 40 mins in and poof.

Caayn

Bug number I lost the count: I lost the ability to move Spartan Alice, halfway through mission 10 she stopped moving. I could only move her when she was inside a hijacked vehicle.
Okay, I've had this happen multiple times now with different units and in Blitz as well :(

Werd

So now it's apparently messed up my save sync and completely lost all my SP progress (replaying on Legendary/mission objectives) from the last two days as well as the actual SP save files.

Which I was only even doing in the first place because the PC MP is so broken right now after that last "patch". Crashing after every match, heavy stuttering in MP games, had two outright crashes mid game. Couldn't take it, decided to clear SP while I wait for a patch on PC and now this.

Is there something to do to fix it?

fantomena

Fucking kidding me. It's been 9 days and now I finally received my Halo: DE code. I press "reedem code" on the WIn10 Xbox App, it taks me to MS website, it tried to reedem and this pops up:

USE PREPAID CODE
Alan Wake's American Nightmare ®
Prepaid code
Subject to the Microsoft Services Agreement and xbox.com/usagerules. There are no refunds.

sam777

Fucking kidding me. It's been 9 days and now I finally received my Halo: DE code. I press "reedem code" on the WIn10 Xbox App, it taks me to MS website, it tried to reedem and this pops up:

USE PREPAID CODE
Prepaid code
Subject to the Microsoft Services Agreement and xbox.com/usagerules. There are no refunds.

Just get onto live chat, that is funny though lol.

Been loving the game, multiplayer with 2 other friends is a blast.

Just want to say however, the cpu hero powers in campaign are so fucking cheap lol. On the second to last level on Heroic and it just feels really unfair and annoying.

Other than that, besides a couple freezes which resulted in being kicked at the end of matches, zero complaints. Great game.

This game had 2 betas, right?

Multiplayer really is a buggy mess right now. After every MP match I need to reboot the game cause it kicks me to desktop.

But I just lost a match by default because my mouse would not select any units. The game was running along and I could only use hotkeys. The real kicker is that it responded to clicks perfectly fine in the F10 menu. What a joke.. I couldn't select or move any of my units.

Aaaand it just happened again. I am done for now.

Anion

Man I need to play some hardcore people. Whether it's Team 2v2 or 3v3 - no one seems to know either how to play flat out or play strategically
On Xbox one. Maybe I'll hop onto PC, except I hear that is a bit buggy?

USE PREPAID CODE
Prepaid code
Apparently this is happening to a lot of people, albeit various random games. I assume Microsoft is looking into it by now. I feel like this has happened before

Tecnniqe

Banned
This game had 2 betas, right?

Multiplayer really is a buggy mess right now. After every MP match I need to reboot the game cause it kicks me to desktop.

But I just lost a match by default because my mouse would not select any units. The game was running along and I could only use hotkeys. The real kicker is that it responded to clicks perfectly fine in the F10 menu. What a joke.. I couldn't select or move any of my units.

Aaaand it just happened again. I am done for now.
Blitz betas :p

Last patch introduced the crashing and I've had the mouse issue but plugging in a controller works but it's terrible to use :p

B3N1

Blitz betas :p

Last patch introduced the crashing and I've had the mouse issue but plugging in a controller works but it's terrible to use :p

Naah, last summer after E3 we had 2 weeks of Domination and Deathmatch on Xbox. Though lot has changed in mechanics since then, the matches were no less stable then currently. In fact, I don't remember being kicked out of a match anytime during the betas.

vsMIC

does x1 has a weired freezing bug when opponents resigns or quits? quite often the game freezes shortly before final win (around >10 freezes in 70 matches). it freezes for several minutes with maybe one frame per 30 seconds. if i leave it standing for several minutes, at some point it shows the victory screen (tested once).

edit: after deathmatches...

anyone else experience this?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Naah, last summer after E3 we had 2 weeks of Domination and Deathmatch on Xbox. Though lot has changed in mechanics since then, the matches were no less stable then currently. In fact, I don't remember being kicked out of a match anytime during the betas.

Oh yeah, I actually played a few matches of that. Completely forget all the time :3

Up to mission 9 on Heroic and I have to say, I'm really enjoying myself.

Should I have started on Normal? Probably. I didn't play the original and haven't played an RTS is almost a decade and as a result, my playtime is up to almost 15 hours of mission failures, save reverts, and general frustration (HOLD THE LINE *mops brow*)

BUT, it's a refreshing change from all the TPSs and FPSs I've played over the past few years.

I'm going to tough it out brehs
Yeah I think I'm going to hold off on Horizon: Zero Dawn for now and pick this up. After playing FFXV I think I need an entire genre change for a bit.

pitchfork

USE PREPAID CODE
Prepaid code

I had a similar issue mate. I was told by support to manually redeem the code on xbox.com and it worked!

Hope this helps fella

Terrible compared to Halo Wars 1. I bought the OST for HW1 it was so good.

Top Bottom