• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

feel

That timberland video is incredible. The pistol!! The map itself!! *drools*

2vn2nwi.jpg

I know I'm going to have a mob of HaloGAFfers after me for saying this, but the Headlong reveal does nothing for me. I have never, ever understood the hype for that map.

Don't really have any standout memories of it either. Maybe that's because I always went into BTB by myself; hadn't found an online group of friends to play with (not enough, certainly).

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I know I'm going to have a mob of HaloGAFfers after me for saying this, but the Headlong reveal does nothing for me. I have never, ever understood the hype for that map.

Don't really have any standout memories of it. Maybe that's because I always went into BTB by myself; hadn't found an online group of friends to play with (not enough, certainly).

That could be why. It was awesome for Team Slayer and 1 flag ctf.

Dax01 said:

Don't really have any standout memories of it either. Maybe that's because I always went into BTB by myself; hadn't found an online group of friends to play with (not enough, certainly).

Coordinated bomb arms or flag runs with buddies was the best part of Headlong since there were multiple entry ways into the base.

Sean

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
One good thing about Headlong is that it needs pretty much 0 change to work with Halo: Reach's play style.

The only problem I can see is that offense will be able to easily jetpack from the teleporter area/building to the roof of the enemy base. Kind of messes with the flow a bit.

Havok

Syphon Filter said:
Last resort was awesome.
Last Resort was an abomination that should never be spoken of again.

A stupidly huge but completely empty base, with crates that could prevent the enemy team from scoring objectives that were never removed in matchmaking despite a Forge tool that could do it in seconds? A schizophrenic size that prevented either 4v4 or 8v8 to play even remotely well on it? A Camp Froman that was literally nothing but jerks camping with bubble shields, spike grenades, and snipers? Give me a break.

Vire said:
They tried that with Last Resort, remember how that went? Let sleeping dogs lie..

Haha, I like Last Resort, too! In my defense, I only played Halo 2 and 3 locally. Were there problems when Zanzibar/Last Resort were played with more than 4 people?

I like Headlong a lot, though, so I'm still excited to see it remade!

Dax01 said:

Haha i got someone on my side to fight you guys!

Toddler

omg.kittens said:
It's been said that the TU is launching late September, and the beta hoppers are launching in October. Although, I don't see the point of launching the TU if the beta list isn't accessible yet...?

Why would you do that? :-O
Seems pretty close to launch, but I don't really know jack about making games or how they work.

I was hopping to hear about Special/Legendary Editions today (I'm waiting to preorder till I know what's what), but haven't read or seen anything yet. Did I miss something?

I loved just doing all kinds of crazy shit on Headlong with my friends. I almost never even played the map on XBL and I still loved it.

Personally, I'm much more excited to play Ridgeline. More interesting visuals and I've never played it before.

Edit: But I'm eager to give Headlong another go as well.

ElRenoRaven

Franklinator said:
Haha, I like Last Resort, too! In my defense, I only played Halo 2 and 3 locally. Were there problems when Zanzibar/Last Resort were played with more than 4 people?

Wait since when has anyone hated Last Resort? That was a great port of Zanzibar.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
I loved just doing all kinds of crazy shit on Headlong with my friends. I almost never even played the map on XBL and I still loved it.
And now you made me think about the fact that the entirety of the skybox and much of the enjoyment of that map will be destroyed by kill barriers.

wwm0nkey

so lets see

Awesome Title Update *check*
Improved Master Chief in CEA *check*
Cool new Firefight map *check*
HEADLONG HEADLONG HEADLONG *check*
Custom Challenges *check*

This is only from one day. I love 343.

Yeah, what the fuck, Last Resort was awesome.

MrBig said:
And now you made me think about the fact that the entirety of the skybox and much of the enjoyment of that map will be destroyed by kill barriers.
I'm pan-camming the shit out of that bitch. Heck, my first week of playing CEA will just be me breaching the barriers on all MP and FF maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:

Consider yourself lucky you're not trying to defend bloom lol

I used to love playing on Headlong. Just driving the Warthog was the most fun part. Landing it on the crane and then driving up on the base's high porch. Lot's of fun.

As for TU tweaks and stuff nothing really has me excited. Let's talk assists baby!

Vire

Havok said:
Last Resort was an abomination that should never be spoken of again.

A stupidly huge but completely empty base, with crates that could prevent the enemy team from scoring objectives that were never removed in matchmaking despite a Forge tool that could do it in seconds? A schizophrenic size that prevented either 4v4 or 8v8 to play even remotely well on it? Give me a break.
Yep, what possessed them to increase the size is beyond me, but it absolutely ruined the map. Spartan laser also killed part of the joy and dynamic of Zanzibar.

I can't wait to get betrayed at spawn for the shotgun on Headlong! JK. One bomb made for some of the most tense photo finishes in my Halo 2 memory. It gun be good. I wonder what additions were made, as were made with the other classic maps? It'll be nice when 343 actually announce this and talk about it a bit.

My God, I've just come back home and I find a warthog in FM4, Halo Anniversary in 3D, Timberland, Headlong and the title update.

Unfrigginbelievable.jpg

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
I remember a lot of fun times with friends on Headlong doing glitches.

I know you weren't too young anyway =P

I guess usually going into BTB on your own didn't help create awesome/fun moments.

Headlong was great in Halo 2 BTB. Every area in Headlong differs from one another which meant multiple combat situations. I like that

Kibbles

Demoncarnotaur said:
So...are we gonna get any info on Headlong or is it indeed IGN releasing footage early? =P
They just deleted the videos on youtube, so maybe they jumped the gun. Actually, their own site still has them though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
how many maps are left unrevealed (not counting headlong, hahaha)

Tashi0106 said:
Consider yourself lucky you're not trying to defend bloom lol

I used to love playing on Headlong. Just driving the Warthog was the most fun part. Landing it on the crane and then driving up on the base's high porch. Lot's of fun.

As for TU tweaks and stuff nothing really has me excited. Let's talk assists baby!

Why would anyone want to ever do that lol?

In all honesty I get the feeling 343 will inadvertently make anyone who asked for the removal of bloom look stupid when they don't add a rof and the no bloom hopper turns out to be horrible. But thats not because blooms a good thing, its because a weapon with no restrictions whatsoever is just not balanced.

I hope they havent made that mistake but if that patch list is final then I have a bad feeling.

JdFoX187

Banned
Headlong! My favorite map in the history of the Halo series is finally coming back home. The only thing I worry about is how it will play in Assault, one of my favorite gametypes there. With no sticky arming and the new bullshit Assault variant, I fear that this may not live up to those memories. At least it'll still have awesome One Flag CTF, as long as the new sudden death doesn't fuck it up.

Nutter

Dax01 said:
I remember a lot of fun times with friends on Headlong doing glitches.
Well that is the issue.

If you had played 1-Flag or 1-Bomb on the Map, you would know its very well made map.

Also to the people who say no more remakes because they remake them wrong.. well that was Bungie.. this is 343. We are getting the true remake & the updated map with extra space.

Kibbles

op_ivy said:
how many maps are left unrevealed (not counting headlong, hahaha)
None, that's all of them.

1. Beaver Creek
2. Damnation
3. Timberland
4. Hang em High
5. Headlong
6. Prisoner
7. Firefight map from 'Halo'

Kibbles said:
They just deleted the videos on youtube, so maybe they jumped the gun. Actually, their own site still has them though.

Figured as much, they will probably take them down from the site as well. Unless of course they say screw it because everyone will see it anyways. =P

They have been posting stuff early a lot recently, haha. Ah well, hopefully we will get some official word soon.

Vire

Kibbles said:

1. Beaver Creek
2. Damnation
3. Timberland
4. Hang em High
5. Headlong
6. Prisoner

Have they shown video of Hang em High?

op_ivy

Kibbles said:

1. Beaver Creek
2. Damnation
3. Timberland
4. Hang em High
5. Headlong
6. Prisoner

hang em high?

Spasm

omg.kittens said:
Why would you do that? :-O
This was back when Banshee boosting was all the griefing-rage and there were no sudden death time limts. Team of turds took the bomb outside the map, I refused to drop. My own fault for being a stubborn prick.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, what the fuck, Last Resort was awesome.

I'm pan-camming the shit out of that bitch. Heck, my first week of playing CEA will just be me breaching the barriers on all MP and FF maps.
As will I. Not the same as breaking out there as a player though.

Also I now have a transfer cable and can pull Reach screenshots directly from my HDD without compression if you would like me to make some more pano's when this comes out.

Sean

Banned
The only other map I really want remade now is "Terminal" from Halo 2 (the map with the train in the middle). Hopefully that will make it into Halo 4.

op_ivy

Sean said:
The only other map I really want remade now is "Terminal" from Halo 2 (the map with the train in the middle). Hopefully that will make it into Halo 4.

that and relic

Top Bottom